Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Modding the Ladder

AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
edited January 2020 in General Mods Discussion
I don’t know if there’s a “ask for a mod” thread but in case there isn’t.

Is there anyone here with the skills to mod the Island Living ladder so we can place it elsewhere besides foundations? I think it would be a cool way to make lofts especially with the upcoming Tiny Living stuff pack.
ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

Post edited by AquaGamer1212 on

Comments

• mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    edited January 2020
    I don’t know if there’s a “ask for a mod” thread but I’m case there isn’t.

Is there anyone here with the skills to mod the Island Living ladder so we can place it elsewhere besides foundations? I think it would be a cool way to make lofts especially with the upcoming stuff pack.

YES please. In my makeshift loft, I had to download a CC ladder, then place elevator mods lol. But the island living ladders are so practical. With a reskin and removing the restriction, it can be a fire-safety ladder for multi-storey buildings. :)
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Sign me up
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I don’t know if there’s a “ask for a mod” thread but I’m case there isn’t.

Is there anyone here with the skills to mod the Island Living ladder so we can place it elsewhere besides foundations? I think it would be a cool way to make lofts especially with the upcoming stuff pack.

YES please. In my makeshift loft, I had to download a CC ladder, then place elevator mods lol. But the island living ladders are so practical. With a reskin and removing the restriction, it can be a fire-safety ladder for multi-storey buildings. :)

I’m honestly so surprised that someone hasn’t done it already. The second I saw the ladder I was like “oh this’ll get modded immediately” but nope ☹️

• MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    Unfortunately, getting the ladders to work like actual ladders is a bit beyond modder capabilities, mostly because of how flooring and traveling between them works. EA's system uses "portals" (yes, portals) to get sims to go between floor levels. It's why no one has done it and probably won't until the right conditions appear.

I had asked a fellow modder (whose taken apart this game and studied it) about ladders in early December since he's been working on animations lately (and attempted ladders before), and he said (copy/paste from our convo):
    "The problem is getting portals to work.
    It's how the game thinks that two places are traversable using one object.
    If you don't do that, sims won't actually use that object to move between floors.
    Portals have special tuning for how to animate in them lol
    which needs a walkstyle or just plain old teleporting."

And walkstyles aren't able to be created at the moment. It's the same reason why modders haven't converted the animations of bikes for kids and why we only have stretching, and this is because bikes use a walkstyle, same as dog-walking, walking up/down stairs, etc. Like most things in this game (and real world), things that seem easy at first usually aren't.

However, he did tell me just a few days ago he's been working on cracking walkstyles, which if he gets this working means all sorts of mods may come out (I'm already planning strollers as soon as he finishes). I'll ask him again if this new, and hopefully successful, technology he's making will finally allow ladders, but I wouldn't bet on anything just yet.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Unfortunately, getting the ladders to work like actual ladders is a bit beyond modder capabilities, mostly because of how flooring and traveling between them works. EA's system uses "portals" (yes, portals) to get sims to go between floor levels. It's why no one has done it and probably won't until the right conditions appear.

I had asked a fellow modder (whose taken apart this game and studied it) about ladders in early December since he's been working on animations lately (and attempted ladders before), and he said (copy/paste from our convo):
    If you don't do that, sims won't actually use that object to move between floors.

And walkstyles aren't able to be created at the moment. It's the same reason why modders haven't converted the animations of bikes for kids and why we only have stretching, and this is because bikes use a walkstyle, same as dog-walking, walking up/down stairs, etc. Like most things in this game (and real world), things that seem easy at first usually aren't.

However, he did tell me just a few days ago he's been working on cracking walkstyles, which if he gets this working means all sorts of mods may come out (I'm already planning strollers as soon as he finishes). I'll ask him again if this new, and hopefully successful, technology he's making will finally allow ladders, but I wouldn't bet on anything just yet.

All I heard was STROLLERS 😭😭😭😭😭
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(

Please please please keep me updated!! 💙💙

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member

Thank you, very interesting to learn about portals and walkstyles.
  • MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    I asked him if it was possible once custom walkstyles are available with the new program and he said it's technically possible, but he himself doesn't know how to do it. So we'll have to see what happens once he finishes making the program and who wants to try it. It's not high on my to-do list as I'm more interested in doing the stuff I do understand or badly want, but if he or anyone else doesn't try it after I at least get more knowledge under my belt, I'll probably look into it. The only problem I see now though is that ladders seem to be similar to stairs, and there's no easy way to add new stairs into the game, or recolor them, though it is possible. Soooo I might have to create a custom object instead and go from there....but again, we'll see. I'm just glad that there's at least a possibility to do it.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Thanks for the update @MizoreYukii!
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member

This is very interesting! I don't know anything about C++ and modding, so this opened my eyes quite a bit. Modders have kept the game a thousand times more playable and surprising for me and I'm trying to support them -both financially and with reblogs, comments and so on- as much as I can. I've seen such great things from them and I'm always speechless when it comes to their abilities. Because, yes, *easy* things are rarely easy. ;)
  • yanniexyanniex Posts: 2 New Member
    so...we are now in 2021, ladders , bikes and a lot more transportation mode exists.... is there anyyyyyyy developements on cc ladder ?? the one we have currently is 🐸🐸🐸🐸 lol !
  • yanniexyanniex Posts: 2 New Member
    guys... i think i found something !! so nevermind to my previous comment (although i didnt try it yet ) so here ! it may not be the coolest , but it is a lot better than what we have in the basegame !!!!
    https://modthesims.info/d/241795/ladder-with-custom-animations.html
    yanniex wrote: »
    guys... i think i found something !! so nevermind to my previous comment (although i didnt try it yet ) so here ! it may not be the coolest , but it is a lot better than what we have in the basegame !!!!
    https://modthesims.info/d/241795/ladder-with-custom-animations.html

That’s for the Sims 2 unfortunately