Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

island living or university ? (why?)

I've been away awhile and can only get either or of the 2 but not both at this time. Im mostly a family player and builder.
wz3Vdbh.jpg
Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.

island living or university ? (why?) 136 votes

University
58%
Akl500PCK213Frn0731GoldmoldarIcewolfalexspoom13alan650111IceyJaelias24Wrenryoveronimhappysam123Alrynnkeekee53justChrisUkelanorbretonPipersfun2loubylouloukatandmari 79 votes
Island living
41%
SablesashaIsb917candy8haneulAnmirlaluthienrisingmock68LustianiciaAquariusMomashcrash19BabykittyjadespivoskiLissyK9orangehippogrifffullspiralTrashmagiccatitude5Netzspannungmintycupcakefiercephoenix91 57 votes

Comments

• Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    University
    University because it has more gameplay in my opinion.
  • Options
    xMarianxxMarianx Posts: 74 Member
    Island living
    I feel like you will get more out of Island Living, unless you’re into the University-gameplay.
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Island living
    I choose Island Living because there is more things for your Sims to do, Like swimming in the ocean, snorkeling , Boats and in addition it gives your Sims a real Vacation Destination and they can live there as well. University is boring it always has been and Sims 4 University's World isn't as pretty as the one in Sims 3. On the positive side you get a Bike for your Sims to ride other then it is a waste unless you want some new content like clothing or furniture and a new world.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Island living
    I voted Island Living cause it adds Sulani which is beautiful and one of my favourite worlds. It does kinda lack a bit in new game play options though but I still prefer it to university and it also adds mermaids.

University adds a fair bit of new game play and some of the best CAS items. The game play though I find to be very repetitive. It's all homework and not much of anything else. The on campus events are quite lame and I stopped bothering with them after my sim spent a week or two living in dorms. I couldn't be bothered with the secret society as I was focused more on my sims grades. I've actually had my last few sims get their degree while living at home cause it's actually much easier than having them move to on campus living area.
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    University
    Do I need to say more? Lol
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Thank you for the votes/replies so far. I'm waiting for more input before finally deciding. I have until tomorrow because im hoping i can put it in a bundle with tiny living.
    That said:
    If I got IL is there a way to turn off merfolk?
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Island living
    Island living for sure!! But It depends on your playstyle. I'm a supernatural/family player who loves telling stories and taking pictures. Sulani was perfect for that. I never get enough of the worlds beautiful and I use mermaids all the time. It's lacking activities but I just love it overall.

University is excellent only if you're into the uni lifestyle and education, which I am not. I don't play games to do homework lol. But I do love the bikes.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    charlesbergcharlesberg Posts: 88 Member
    University
    100%.

Island Living has a lot of nice areas, sure, but most of them look like unfinished "secret-ish" locations and function only as decoration.
    Don't get me started on the mermaids, they were poorly implemented into the pack imo, which is a shame because the updated model and rig is 10x better than TS3.
    Signature here. No here. Never-mind.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Island living
    Island Living for sure! One of my fav packs, the world is beautiful and there is so many things for families to do. University has bikes and soccer which is cool I guess, but kids can't ride the bikes or anything like that, it's more a young adult only pack and involves a lot of homework and a few extras.
  • Options
    LinzzLinzz Posts: 323 Member
    University
    I picked university because if your a family player you might like that aspect of the game more. You get more gameplay IMO out of DU than IL but IL is beautiuful and gives you some stuff but DU is more progession with sims. Either way you can't go wrong, they are both decent packs.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited January 2020
    Do you want your sims to get smarter first or mermaids? When I could buy just one I went with Island Living first because I wanted another occult option. They can get smarter later on I felt. I'm an occult player and will play them whenever I can. The mermaids really don't have any special abilities like singing to effect non-mermaids moods or lure ability. There is no underwater world. The mermaid mod was a lot better. Other worlds like Windenburg that have areas near the beach don't get an added beach option either. It does allow for Sulani mana and conservation Sulani is a beautiful world. Despite everything I can tell you that is wrong with Island Living I don't regret getting that one before getting University.

However, University has the ability for your sim to have a higher education. The world for university isn't that big and you have to have your cheats available and shift key then click on your sim to send them to university or it seems that it takes way too long for your sim to get accepted into a college. It's not like you can apply when your sim is a teen like in normal offline life. You don't have to live in a dorm to go to university. Teen and older can ride bikes as a mode of travel. There are fun things to do. There are many class options your sim can take. THere are oan options if your household can't afford to send yor college sim to college.
    Linzz wrote: »
    I picked university because if your a family player you might like that aspect of the game more. You get more gameplay IMO out of DU than IL but IL is beautiuful and gives you some stuff but DU is more progession with sims. Either way you can't go wrong, they are both decent packs.

I agree University is great for the family player. Allows the kids to go to University and fun aspects to it as well.

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited January 2020
    Island living
    ladybreid wrote: »
    Thank you for the votes/replies so far. I'm waiting for more input before finally deciding. I have until tomorrow because im hoping i can put it in a bundle with tiny living.
    That said:

I've had IL since it came out, but I've not had anything to do with mermaids since I just ignore those socials? I'm not sure exactly but I've never seen any in my game if that helps.

I vote for IL because if you're a family player it'll be hard to play uni unless your university students attend from home in which case you'll miss out on some experiences or you rotate away from your family and play the students alone.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    ladybreid wrote: »
    That said:

No, but you don't need, i guess. I haven't ever saw a mermaid or even the island ancestors. And i've played a lot in Sulani already.
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    I don't have DU so didn't vote because I can't compare the two. Agree with other posters about the mermaids. In the 4 months I've had the pack, I haven't found any mermaids. I had to create my own just to see them in the game.
  • Options
    TheAwkwardMochiTheAwkwardMochi Posts: 7 New Member
    Island living
    They are very different but if you focus more on the family aspect, I believe Island Living will be more fun for you.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Island living
    I've played ILa lot and never seen mermaid
    If yo don't try to find them they aren't noticeable. The island spirits.. If you live in the house with the spirit lot trait (you can remove the trait) or purposely add the trait to any other house you will see some blue lights in the house once in a while that you can ignore or interact with as you please to see the spirits.

If you don't live in a house with the trait you won't see the lights
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    University
    More gameplay & it's a great addition to the family for having a degree qualification for careers perk + 3 new careers to play with. I play with now, 6 households in a rotation. Some attended the Uni, where I rotate the household depending on when the term start & end. It's quite manageable. I'm not sure how big is your Sims family is but, the students do have an option either to stay on-campus/off-campus. Plus, the BB & CAS are very beautiful. However, if you want to have a different world vibe, I would suggest to get the IL.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    University
    It is worth the money even if it is not on sale.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    DO NOT BUY ISLAND LIVING FOR FULL PRICE!!!

Sorry for caps but Island Living is the worst pack as far as “bang for your buck”.

Don’t get me wrong, I like it. But it truly only feels like it includes content only worth half of full price.
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    University
    Island living is just another pretty world and should have been a game pack rather than an expansion pack. Discover uni also has a world and comes with roommates and robots and is just has more game play.
    I do like island living but it is definately lacking something something.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    University
    University for the fact that I believe it has more gameplay and for its replay value. I love it even more because I'm a family player as well, and I love raising a family and then sending the kids off to University.
    There's a decent amount for your Sims to do while attending, and I also love that you can choose your level of a challenge, whether it be your Sim taking just a couple classes or going for a full workload of four.
  • Options
    BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    University
    You'd get more out of University. With Island Living, you get a really beautiful world, but after you get over that there's not a lot to do with Island Living. University just has more stuff in my opinion, and it keeps you more busy than Island Living does.
    Proud simmer
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    University
    This one was tough for me, but as a family player myself I think University would be my first choice since it is really great for storytelling. I do like Island Living though as Sulani is beautiful and so different from our other worlds. I often take my families for day trips to the beach and I wish we had hotels so we could have proper holidays there. I also love mermaids, although I wish we had underwater gameplay for them. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either pack.
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    Island living

Personally, I have them both. I love Island Living for the beach aspect. University is great for the college aspect.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited January 2020
    Island living
    As you say you are a family player and builder I think island living opens up more opportunities for your gameplay style. You have more variety with the build style for sulani and it’s also a different building style then other sim homes. I’m not a huge builder but I found this pack brought out a different building style in me and challenged me. Also there is maybe more family related stuff such as searching for sea shells, swimming in the sea, going to the beach etc. I love this pack and it’s my second favourite expansion pack (after city living). University is good but I feel it suits the more single sim or young adult sims more. However saying that I have played university with young families which has added that extra challenge but those sims never experienced the full university life.