Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why I'm Against Cars

Sims can magically teleport in an instant. They don't even bother to walk out of world to go to work they just... vanish at the lot edge. Cars wouldn't really do anything since sims can travel for free instantly and the game is structured that your sim need no longer leave for work an hour before they start or schedule a taxi beforehand as in previous games. Sims 3's open world had cars have different speeds based on price, which gave them a use as walking was much slower.

I did think cars could give teens something to do or perhaps could be included in some kind of crafting pack for mechanics... but at the end of the day there's no real point in having sims drive. Could you have sims drive to the store? Sure but nearly everything can be purchased through a pie menu and arrive instantly anyway.

Cars would just be a very expensive decorative item unless there is a major travel overhaul to the game which I honestly do not see happening.

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Disagree
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Obviously if cars were added there would be a major travel overhaul. 1 thing cars will do is add a challenge as you mentioned with "Sims can magically teleport in an instant" that adds no game play or challenge its just a lazy shortcut that should never been there had they not rushed out a unfinished base game.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    As much as I'd hope for a travel overhaul if cars ever became a thing, the clothes stores that came with Get To Work didn't change the fact that even owners of the pack can still get new clothes for free by taking an existing family to CAS, so yeah, cars would probably end up being nothing more than overly expensive woohoo spots. Not that is has to be this way, but... let's not fool ourselves. This is TS4.

That doesn't mean I'm against cars, though. If I'm willing to spend thousands of simoleons on a virtually useless object in my garden to simulate a realistic family with a car, then let me. If it comes with a few extra options (woohoo spot, vehicle engineering, driving around for fun, car enthusiast trait), even though they don't contribute to the object's primary use in real life (travelling), all the better.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    The solution is probably to make cars better than fast travel. So they could add bonuses like filling needs like fun, social, bladder or hunger for everyone traveling in the car by adding options to stop at a rest stop, listen to music or talk with your friends that you travel with.

Other things you could have could be fuel economy, conditions, customization, upgrades, car mechanic skills and fixing and selling cars for a profit.

• Leo_GruenLeo_Gruen Posts: 468 Member
    edited January 2020
    The game is already balanced so motives are basically a joke as it is. Plus if fun and social are improved on travel with a car what would be the point of going to another lot? Surely the draws are that the non-home lots provide more for fun and social?
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2020
    logion wrote: »
    The solution is probably to make cars better than fast travel. So they could add bonuses like filling needs like fun, social, bladder or hunger for everyone traveling in the car by adding options to stop at a rest stop, listen to music or talk with your friends that you travel with.

Other things you could have could be fuel economy, conditions, customization, upgrades, car mechanic skills and fixing and selling cars for a profit.

Yes when sims use cars for travel, after the loading screen when they arrive to the destination, their fun need, social (if travelling with another sim) should be higher then when they left. Cars could also have their own inventory, since they have a trunk to put things in them. They could also give sims exclusive moodlets, like the "new car smell". Sims should also be able to put different car fresheners that induce different emotions when they arrive to a certain destination. In addition cars could also break down or need maintenance from time to time.

Also, the point of having cars in a closed world isn't to drive them, but people just don't understand that...don't know why it's so hard but ok. It's for immersion....it's a lifesim. I want my sim to have a garage in their house, I my sim to be able to go inside the car, fire up the ignition, see the garage door opening and move a bit before disappearing into the loading screen. I want to see sims put toddlers inside the car on the little chairs that go into the seat. I want to see sims listening to the car radio like in TS2, make out and woohoo.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    Leo_Gruen wrote: »
    The game is already balanced so motives are basically a joke as it is. Plus if fun and social are improved on travel with a car what would be the point of going to another lot? Surely the draws are that the non-home lots provide more for fun and social?

True, I was thinking more that cars could save you time though so you don't have to spend as much time on other lots to fill your needs. You could focus more on doing more activities without worrying about hunger for example.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited January 2020
    I'd personally rather my sims get into a very expensive decorative item and drive off into a void than walk off their lots and just vanish into thin air. But that's just me.
  • tHe_silent_HtHe_silent_H Posts: 28 Member
    We need cars, and we need them for one reason alone: TV for sims 5. Otherwise their gonna have to reuse footage/ use the sims 3 for car footage, otherwise TV in the sims 5 will have a lot less variety
  • bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    Sims can magically teleport in an instant. They don't even bother to walk out of world to go to work they just... vanish at the lot edge.

Which is exactly why I want cars. I hate the constant *poof* this game has. In TS2 we could only see the road in front of our sims' lot and it was still satisfying to see my sims get into the car, start it, drive away from the garage and into the road, instead of just poof into thin air. TS4 has the advantage that the world is not as closed as TS2, so we could actually see our sims driving for a bit until they eventually disappear.

I also want cars because I miss the school bus, and I miss seeing sims arriving in cars at your lot, it adds a lot to one's immersion. Also miss my teenagers learning how to drive.

Besides, there is SO MUCH they could do with cars. They could add them with a "roadtrip" kind of pack, maybe add caravans where you can basically do anything you want inside since it's a mini house. Same applies to cars, there's so many interactions we could have. Besides the usual sleep, woohoo, listen to music, etc. you could wash the car, watch the stars on the hood, etc.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Sims can magically teleport in an instant. They don't even bother to walk out of world to go to work they just... vanish at the lot edge. Cars wouldn't really do anything since sims can travel for free instantly and the game is structured that your sim need no longer leave for work an hour before they start or schedule a taxi beforehand as in previous games. Sims 3's open world had cars have different speeds based on price, which gave them a use as walking was much slower.

I did think cars could give teens something to do or perhaps could be included in some kind of crafting pack for mechanics... but at the end of the day there's no real point in having sims drive. Could you have sims drive to the store? Sure but nearly everything can be purchased through a pie menu and arrive instantly anyway.

Cars would just be a very expensive decorative item unless there is a major travel overhaul to the game which I honestly do not see happening.

Thank you! I wish people would stop asking for these unnecessary features, then complaining that the game is boring after it got implemented.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i fully disagree with what is mention in post 1 cars are a major part of the sims game play since the sims2 and do not forget in sims3 you could teach teen sims to drive would love to see cars return to the sims4 with the option to teach teen sims to drive plus in there inventory they would get there driver licence like when a sim gives birth at the hospital that gives a birth certificate
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I'd personally rather my sims get into a very expensive decorative item and drive off into a void than walk off their lots and just vanish into thin air. But that's just me.

Plus it's a way to spend those simoleons! Materialistic sims would crave expensive cars while family oriented would want big cars and so...
  • Aaron1995Aaron1995 Posts: 16 Member
    I kinda disagree with the OP. The way cars worked in The Sims 2 is a great example of a good implementation in a Sims game with loading screens. Just simply hop in, drive away, loading screen, park car. Cars and garages are so common these days that it feels weird not to have them. Every house is without a single car, it feels strange. And I agree with what @telmarina said. It's a great money sink and possible gameplay feature. :)
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Im also not interested in cars all that much. I dont mind the teleportation. I do like the way its in Ts2, it has basic functions but actually seeing them drive does nothing for me. Dont mind the loading screen
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I want my Sims to have an option, which is either magically transported or driving a car.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • under_sun_and_skyunder_sun_and_sky Posts: 96 Member
    > @bythedreadwolf said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Which is exactly why I want cars. I hate the constant *poof* this game has. In TS2 we could only see the road in front of our sims' lot and it was still satisfying to see my sims get into the car, start it, drive away from the garage and into the road, instead of just poof into thin air. TS4 has the advantage that the world is not as closed as TS2, so we could actually see our sims driving for a bit until they eventually disappear.
    >
    > I also want cars because I miss the school bus, and I miss seeing sims arriving in cars at your lot, it adds a lot to one's immersion. Also miss my teenagers learning how to drive.
    >
    > Besides, there is SO MUCH they could do with cars. They could add them with a "roadtrip" kind of pack, maybe add caravans where you can basically do anything you want inside since it's a mini house. Same applies to cars, there's so many interactions we could have. Besides the usual sleep, woohoo, listen to music, etc. you could wash the car, watch the stars on the hood, etc.

I love this idea! It would be fantastic to get a game pack with those things. For the caravans it would be awesome if they acted like a shell that you could customize the inside of. That would be so fun.
    tumblr_pg992c6rBP1r42s8uo1_400.gifv
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

I don't think they would need a travel overhaul. They could function like TS2. It would still be just largely visual and not much for function, but I would welcome something more to spend my sim's money on and I still think it could add something to the game.

As other's have mentioned, they could be used for woo-hoo, maybe a skill up to work on a car, logic perhaps or maybe a new skill.

I disagree but I do see your point. It's not high up there on my list of wants for TS4, and truthfully I wouldn't care if they were never added, but I do have to disagree that a major travel overhaul is needed and I don't really see anything wrong with another expensive decorative item that would likely have some game play associated with it. If they were added, they should be added with another GP or EP with more to it than just "cars".
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • motdkmotdk Posts: 208 Member
    Disagree
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I reeeeaaallllyyy need ways to unload Simjamins. Without me paying much attention to it at all, my Sims are suddenly socking smackers away at a rapid clip. I’ve got one *teen* Sim that has a few Simtube videos and a couple of apps and he’s raking in almost $2k a day.

I need cars, I need helicopters, I need fancy vacays, I need a limo driver, I need to unload this money. The only expensive item in the game are TVs and computers and contrary to what some might claim, you can only have so many. Why why why does Uni only cost like $800?!? I was betting on that pack to unload some bank.
  • JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    You are not the only one. I also don´t like cars in the game and if they add them and traffic in all worlds then it will totally ruin my gaming experience with the Sims 4. Sims 4 gives me change for playing various themes out of modern world and too much realism.

But for those who love cars, I think they could make one pack and world with traffic so people who love cars could get them and people who don´t want cars simply can avoid that pack or only play in that specific world if they feel like having traffic and cars. That´s pretty much the only way to please everyone without taking something away from others. Adding cars via patch to all worlds would be the worst case for me. It would be like forcing that in my game.
  • nucleonidenucleonide Posts: 216 Member
    I'm fully okay with cars just being "expensive decorative items." They just need to promote/update the cars from the live-debug catalog into full-fledged BB catalog objects. Maybe just add a pie menu with "Travel/Travel with..." options that takes you to the world map view, then it's done.
    Owns: (EPs) GTW, GT, CL, S, CD, GF, IL, EL / (GPs) SD, PH, JA, DO / (SPs) MHSP, BYSP, VGSP, BNSP, LDSP, MSP
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited January 2020
    Jadeleine wrote: »
    You are not the only one. I also don´t like cars in the game and if they add them and traffic in all worlds then it will totally ruin my gaming experience with the Sims 4. Sims 4 gives me change for playing various themes out of modern world and too much realism.

But for those who love cars, I think they could make one pack and world with traffic so people who love cars could get them and people who don´t want cars simply can avoid that pack or only play in that specific world if they feel like having traffic and cars. That´s pretty much the only way to please everyone without taking something away from others. Adding cars via patch to all worlds would be the worst case for me. It would be like forcing that in my game.
    The worlds have cars that drive by already and that would be horrible to limit them to one world that's no solution for me the better option is don't like cars don't have your Sim buy one or don't buy the pack they come with if there not patched in. They could also have an option when you first play a house with kids with a pop up that says "have kids take bus to school" or "make them walk" for the lovers of poofing
    Post edited by ChadSims2 on
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    edited January 2020
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Jadeleine wrote: »

The worlds have cars that drive by already and that would be horrible to limit them to one world that's no solution for me the better option is don't like cars don't have your Sim buy one or don't buy the pack they come with if there not patched in. They could also have an option when you first play a house with kids with a pop up that says "have kids take bus to school" or "make them walk" for the lovers of poofing

Yeah you are right but those cars very rare pass by so they don´t make a mess in the game like Sims 3 had problem with cars being a mess and forced in every world. But that is also good solution to make it as a pack and working on every world somehow so people can choose to buy it or just skip it if they don´t want cars. Patching cars for everyone would be wrong. It would be so annoying to have them everywhere. I think they have done well and good decisions so far with what they patch in what they add with packs. For example cats and dogs only roam in one world so they don´t make a mess or annoy in any other world and people can have the freedom of choice. If you think about Sims 3, there was too much pets, cars and everything making it out of place like horses running around in city area. Now they have made much improvements on that by limiting all these things into packs and specific worlds. It makes it possible to simmers build their game the way they like it and skip things they dislike. I am really happy for those who love cars if they get that pack, I´ll just skip that and buy those I want.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 513 Member
    I wouldn't mind another woohoo option, to be honest. In TS3, depending on traits, you could have a relationship with your car too!