Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can I have separate games happening?

Cause I realized when I played Sims 4 latest time so far that "Save as" allows me to name the current game I'm playing as a household. Yet I didn't do that, I just used the "save" option while I kept going before I did the eventually "save & quit" once I was done for that session.

So if I save that game as Stein (which is the family's last name that I made), then could I start another separate game for a new set of Sims to play as that wouldn't effect the Stein family at all?

I know there's many players that can rotate between their many households in one game, but I don't think I can do that. If I can't have full control over the sims I've made, I'm not sure if I could enjoy the game. So that's why I stick with one household. I still love the Stein family I made, but I also wanna start a different family of sims which lives wouldn't effect the Stein's progress at all. But I'm afraid if I save the Stein family, then begin a new game with another family, then the Steins would still make an appearance in the second game!

Please help me. I'm not sure what to do. I have plans for the kids of the Stein family, yet their progress is so cause that's how it is sometimes. And their house is so full there can't be anymore sims added and I don't want to delete any one! But I do really wanna have a separate game with a new family and not bother the Steins at all.

I only have the base game, no mods or expansions. Please be kind to me. I hope I explained myself well.

Comments

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Cause I realized when I played Sims 4 latest time so far that "Save as" allows me to name the current game I'm playing as a household. Yet I didn't do that, I just used the "save" option while I kept going before I did the eventually "save & quit" once I was done for that session.

So if I save that game as Stein (which is the family's last name that I made), then could I start another separate game for a new set of Sims to play as that wouldn't effect the Stein family at all?

I know there's many players that can rotate between their many households in one game, but I don't think I can do that. If I can't have full control over the sims I've made, I'm not sure if I could enjoy the game. So that's why I stick with one household. I still love the Stein family I made, but I also wanna start a different family of sims which lives wouldn't effect the Stein's progress at all. But I'm afraid if I save the Stein family, then begin a new game with another family, then the Steins would still make an appearance in the second game!

Please help me. I'm not sure what to do. I have plans for the kids of the Stein family, yet their progress is so cause that's how it is sometimes. And their house is so full there can't be anymore sims added and I don't want to delete any one! But I do really wanna have a separate game with a new family and not bother the Steins at all.

I only have the base game, no mods or expansions. Please be kind to me. I hope I explained myself well.

Yes, you can have as many wholly separate saves as you want. Just select “new game” when you get to the title screen after the game loads. Create your new sims or download sims from the gallery into CAS, and once you’re done designing and dressing them to your liking you can hit the check mark and put them into the new game. Then you can “save as” and name it whatever you want.

This save will be separate from your Stein save. Your Stein family won’t appear in it at all, so they won’t be affected by whatever gameplay you engage in within that save. You can do this pretty much as many times as you want. I saw someone posted the other day they have around 200 individual saves.

To pick the save you want to play select “load game” on the title screen and then select the photo box of the save you want to play. The load game button will show up on the title screen once you have more than one game save file.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    ‘Save As’ saves a copy of whatever save you’re playing. For example, if you wanted to play in the same world as the Steins but not with the Steins you could Save As and name it something different. Then go into that save and delete the Steins and play a new family. Or you can completely start a new save as @Pamtastic72 said. But I do know some people don’t always like starting over with new worlds.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• AnitalifegurlAnitalifegurl Posts: 281 Member

Yes, you can have as many wholly separate saves as you want. Just select “new game” when you get to the title screen after the game loads. Create your new sims or download sims from the gallery into CAS, and once you’re done designing and dressing them to your liking you can hit the check mark and put them into the new game. Then you can “save as” and name it whatever you want.

This save will be separate from your Stein save. Your Stein family won’t appear in it at all, so they won’t be affected by whatever gameplay you engage in within that save. You can do this pretty much as many times as you want. I saw someone posted the other day they have around 200 individual saves.

To pick the save you want to play select “load game” on the title screen and then select the photo box of the save you want to play. The load game button will show up on the title screen once you have more than one game save file.

Thank you :smiley:
    ‘Save As’ saves a copy of whatever save you’re playing. For example, if you wanted to play in the same world as the Steins but not with the Steins you could Save As and name it something different. Then go into that save and delete the Steins and play a new family. Or you can completely start a new save as @Pamtastic72 said. But I do know some people don’t always like starting over with new worlds.

Thank you. The only thing is that I don't want 2 households in one save. Cause if I focus on one household, then the other will roam freely and not do as I want it to. So I wanna keep the Steins, and start a new game with different family :smiley:
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member

Thank you. The only thing is that I don't want 2 households in one save. Cause if I focus on one household, then the other will roam freely and not do as I want it to. So I wanna keep the Steins, and start a new game with different family :smiley:

There's no progression in this game, so if you were to do this, your other family won't really be doing anything other than existing in the background. If you have ageing on, they'll just age. But you can also turn ageing off or make it so that just your active household ages.
    But jobs will remain untouched, no one will move from the home, there won't be any surprise marriages or babies, nothing like that.

Just so you know. :)
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    What I actually do is have a 'base save' which is a new game I started and then, without actually playing any sims, I have set up the worlds as I want them to be - nice houses, little starter homes, interesting community Lots etc. Then I use that base save to play all my other games from.

So, for example, I would save as 'Jones' to have a game with my family called Jones. Then use the base game and save as 'Smith' to have a separate game where I play the Smith family.

I am just setting things up at the moment to start a new legacy in every world - a separate saved game for each of them so that they do not interfere with each other.

I also make copies of my saved games to store elsewhere for safe keeping. And sometimes I will find a really old save game that I want to play again and I will just move it into my EA Games folder and load it up as usual.

There's no progression in this game, so if you were to do this, your other family won't really be doing anything other than existing in the background. If you have ageing on, they'll just age. But you can also turn ageing off or make it so that just your active household ages.
    But jobs will remain untouched, no one will move from the home, there won't be any surprise marriages or babies, nothing like that.

Just so you know. :)

That might be a good idea for me to try maybe. Cause I don't wanna mess up their chances :/
    What I actually do is have a 'base save' which is a new game I started and then, without actually playing any sims, I have set up the worlds as I want them to be - nice houses, little starter homes, interesting community Lots etc. Then I use that base save to play all my other games from.

So, for example, I would save as 'Jones' to have a game with my family called Jones. Then use the base game and save as 'Smith' to have a separate game where I play the Smith family.

I am just setting things up at the moment to start a new legacy in every world - a separate saved game for each of them so that they do not interfere with each other.

I also make copies of my saved games to store elsewhere for safe keeping. And sometimes I will find a really old save game that I want to play again and I will just move it into my EA Games folder and load it up as usual.

Cool :smiley: I think I understand your comment and it's probably what I might try XD yet sadly, there's no base game since I began with the Stein family XD But I hope I can turn off their world so they don't mingle with a separate game to create a completely different family :smiley:
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Seperate games don't interact at all with each other. Even if you happen to see your family wandering around in a diff save file, when you go back to your original one they will not have done that. In a diff save they may even be different ages, like kids may be elders or whatever, but nothing is going on in the original save.

I have about 4 diff saves, but one is rotational.

For that one I play loads of families but I turn aging off for everyone, and play them one day each, on the day I play the last family in rotation I turn aging on for everyone. That way they've all aged the same amount that I played them. They won't get married or get jobs or anything, just wander around in the background, BUT if you have seasons and don't turn off weather deaths they could die from heat/freezing so you wanna make sure if you play a rotational file ever you turn that off.

But yeah, if it's a diff save file, nothing matters haha
    Seperate games don't interact at all with each other. Even if you happen to see your family wandering around in a diff save file, when you go back to your original one they will not have done that. In a diff save they may even be different ages, like kids may be elders or whatever, but nothing is going on in the original save.

For that one I play loads of families but I turn aging off for everyone, and play them one day each, on the day I play the last family in rotation I turn aging on for everyone. That way they've all aged the same amount that I played them. They won't get married or get jobs or anything, just wander around in the background, BUT if you have seasons and don't turn off weather deaths they could die from heat/freezing so you wanna make sure if you play a rotational file ever you turn that off.

YAY thanks :smiley:
  • TopNotchToddlerTopNotchToddler Posts: 190 Member
    edited January 2020
    I recommend to make use of Save As more often. If not for separate universes, then for it's most important function - backup. If you have multiple saves you have some insurance in case a save goes corrupt (which it always does, either through buggy code or events that you don't like in your save but didn't even notice for some time).
    I recommend to make use of Save As more often. If not for separate universes, then for it's most important function - backup. If you have multiple saves you have some insurance in case a save goes corrupt (which it always does, either through buggy code or events that you don't like in your save but didn't even notice for some time).

Okay.