Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Electives

My sims always fail electives - even after studying, attending class, submitting required papers or giving presentations on time and even taking the final exam on time. They even hone the relevant skill on the side. I am baffled what it takes to pass an elective class.

Comments

• Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    So far, my Sim is doing well for the elective subjects (1 elective subject each term). I did the same thing, attending classes (which either I get them to listen to the lecture/taking notes) and all other things that you've mentioned. Just wondering, have you ever email the lecturers asking how well are the Sims doing in the particular subjects? And for studying, I normally get my Sims to study a few hours before the exam, so that they get the optimum moodlet while attending the classes or the final exam.

OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    aujinehaujineh Posts: 454 Member
    Maybe its the lectures then - there is no notification when one is going to start (or is there) so my sim always misses the lecture. Yes they study until they get the confident smart moodlet and yes they email the professors.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    My Sims always go to the building earlier before the class start then I control their performance once they are in the class. Sometimes, my Sims have back to back lectures where they went to the next class immediately after the class ended. So far, my Sims never missed any lectures or running late. Besides, what do you mean by a notification? Are you referring to a pop up UI?

OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Check your class schedule on your Sim's career panel - it will say when they need to attend class. They ought to be prompted to go one hour before the class begins. So far, I have never had a Sim not get an A+ for any class, major or elective, even when they arrived late for a class (and took a ding to performance because of it, as reflected in the "maybe they could have gotten more out of that" flavor text notification afterwards.

I think missing class entirely would be a pretty hard hit.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    Is your Sim far along into his or her term? For instance are they about to finish and maybe have only 1 or 2 terms left? How high is the skill that is needed for said elective? high, mid-range or at the bottom? I haven't failed an elective yet but then I usually just have them take elective at the very early in their schooling where it is not unusual for Sims to have low to mid-range skill lvl. I do that because when University came out people were complaining about failing and someone mentioned skill lvl and its connection to failing. I usually have each get 2-3 elective each spread over the first 2-3 terms. After that they only take the required courses for their degree.

I am a terrible/wonderful micromanager and I compulsively check their schedule and on their first day at school take note on which building their classes are at. That way if I don't get a notification, which can happen if I cancel out going to school early (they will just be loitering outside the building an hour before class and I am so not down with that.

I added the faster run to university class mod by LittleMissSam to help getting them to class on time and when there, I have them take notes or listen attentively. They finish all homework on time and make sure that all presentations and term papers are of a highest quality before turning in. On a wednesday I do the email lecturers for a performance progress and start studying (via the text book you can buy for each degree) for the troublesome course.
  • Options
    aujinehaujineh Posts: 454 Member
    Thanks everyone, it was being late for class was the problem. So I made sure to have my sim standing in front the building or sitting nearby at least one hour in advance. The time it takes to run to class really makes your sim late and no matter how high the skill or how well they did everything else, being late will make them fail. I also discovered that taking notes will almost always guarantee an A+ I got so good at it one of my sims got three 100 simolean merit scholarships for getting all those A+s.