We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
February 23rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game Keeps Crashing

Hello, I know that this is probably THE most common question EVER regarding the sims 3 but at this point I'm desperate and open to any advice. I've been playing The Sims 3 for a longggg time now and my game has crashed probably every single time I have played it. I've learned different ways of preventing crashing or at least increasing the time before it crashing such as lowering graphic settings, installing Overwatch mods etc, disabling memories, deleting cache files, copying and deleting and then repasting Save files to give the game a breather, freeing up RAM whilst playing and of course, the dreaded, reinstalling the game. Over the past few days when playing the game, my game has crashed a lot quicker than usual (about ten minutes in). I did all of the usual things that I mentioned (even reinstalling and then copying and pasting the saved file) but NOTHING has helped. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me or ideas that I have not mentioned because I am SO frustrated. I have a Macbook Pro (which is why it always crashes, thanks a lot EA) so is it worth thinking about Bootcamp? Thank you in advance, you guys are all lifesavers :) xxx

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2020
    The Mac version of the game for your operating system can only address 2 GB of RAM, as we have covered in the past. If Activity Monitor shows that you are approaching that level of usage while the game is up and running, which is really easy to do with ongoing game saves and several EPs in play, and the game calls for more RAM than that, then it will crash or Error12 upon saving (or both). Purging RAM constantly throughout play can help, but only somewhat and after a while that's not going to be very effective. Reinstalling the game I'm afraid rarely accomplishes anything helpful.

Does a newly started game save, meaning starting a game over fresh, behave any better at least for a while?

As to whether Bootcamp is a good option, can we get the specs on this Mac first? Under the Apple Menu > About This Mac, Processor, RAM, graphics card, and either there or from within Finder, how large is its hard drive and how much free space does it have? I've played the Windows version of the game through Bootcamp successfully for many years as have many others, but on my end it's always been on strong enough hardware and with enough drive space to properly devote to the two operating systems.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • blueamberblueamber Posts: 32 Member
    Actually yes, when I start a new game it doesn't crash nearly as fast, but I have a family that I've been playing with for years and playing with another family just isn't the same. What I've done before is used the NRAAS porter mod to 'pack' each family and paste them into a 'new' town which kind of gives the game a fresh start in a way and makes it not crash as often.

Yep, sure. I'll just copy and paste what it says in overview.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
    Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Startup Disk Macintosh HD
    Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Thank you so much for your help!! :) If bootcamp isn't a good idea for me, I guess I can just frequently do what I mentioned before and pack and paste the family with the NRASS porter mod.
    edited January 2020
    The size of your hard drive isn't being reported on there. That model came with 128 GB and 256 GB drives by default. Unless you had it configured for a larger drive, neither one would be good for Bootcamping because the resulting Windows partition would likely be too small to be able to hold and run the game alongside of Windows. You also do not have a dedicated (Nvidia or AMD Radeon) graphics card on that model, so even though Bootcamping is still theoretically possible, there will still be some limitations on the Windows side as to how far the game can be taken.

Sorry, wish I had something better to report than that. The Mac version of the game always was a challenge and a half to keep going as you are seeing.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • blueamberblueamber Posts: 32 Member
    Aw that's a shame :( Thanks for your help anyways.
  • ielzoielzo Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey, igazor! Sorry to bother. I wanted to ask you a question ... Is it normal for The Sims 3 to be a little laggy when moving the game camera even if you have a great PC Gamer?
    edited February 2020
    ielzo wrote: »
    Hey, igazor! Sorry to bother. I wanted to ask you a question ... Is it normal for The Sims 3 to be a little laggy when moving the game camera even if you have a great PC Gamer?
    Most players on higher end graphics cards are going to get some semblance of camera stutter especially while the game clock is moving forward and even more so on higher game speeds than 1. For most it won't be more than a minor annoyance. But the biggest favor you can do a system with a higher end card is use the "fps on" cheat code in-game to check that frame rates are staying locked in at or below the refresh rate of your monitor (for most that will be 60 Hz so 60 fps, some of course can run higher) and take action as needed. Let us know if you need help in arranging for vertical sync and fps capping, the tools to use depend on whether your card is Nvidia or AMD.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • LovingSimsLovingSims Posts: 8 New Member
    Hey! I have a MacBook Air and it used to do this for me. I followed Bluebell's tips on removing everything in Island paradise town which causes issues with the game and since its prevented my game crashing