Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Maxis finally giving us better personalities?

From the new survey it sounds promising! I really hope they'll include everything they listed! I promise if they improve personalities (not just one idea they shared) i'm gonna replay this game again. I'm so excited eventho I shouldn't lol. What are your thoughts?
Lu4ERme.gif

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    From the new survey it sounds promising! I really hope they'll include everything they listed! I promise if they improve personalities (not just one idea they shared) i'm gonna replay this game again. I'm so excited eventho I shouldn't lol. What are your thoughts?

I like how "improved personalities" is simply the standards set by The Sims 2 over a decade ago. Non mutual relationships, preferences, fury, interests - literally all of that was in 2.

We've been told time and time again as players to stop bringing up past games, to the point they made it a forum rule that bringing them up outside of exclusive threads is derailing, and now they've asked us if we want to see features from a past game return.

Well, when you put it like that... lol
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    Lemon405 wrote: »
    As much as I want to be excited, I am not going to hold my breath.

Would it add a spark of life that’s missing from the game? Definitely! But it’s still contingent on being implemented in a useful way. Adding in preferences, likes and dislikes, etc is not going to do much if they don’t ALSO do something to alleviate the Stepford moodlets.

Allowing sims to hate each other isn’t going to do a thing for the game if they walk into a room and instantly start drooling from happiness because the room is pretty.

Being attracted to the sim next to you because they have a trait you prefer does nothing if you’re still going to flirt with anything that walks by because someone left the tv on the romance channel.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. To get all of the features working together in a cohesive way that isn't just swallowed by the emotions system would take a lot of work and thought, they'd have to alter a great deal of how Sims function for any of it to mean anything.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    Lemon405 wrote: »
    As much as I want to be excited, I am not going to hold my breath.
    <snipping snip because nobody wants to read it twice>

This is pretty much how I feel about it. To get all of the features working together in a cohesive way that isn't just swallowed by the emotions system would take a lot of work and thought, they'd have to alter a great deal of how Sims function for any of it to mean anything.

To make Emotions a thing, they really needed to start off with fully fleshed out personalities and Sim individuality, then go back and start adding emotional reactions to situations.

It might have seemed more like previous Sims at the start, but I would have preferred to get a new emotional reaction or 3 added with each patch, SP, GP, and EP, to build on to sims, than to start out with zero personality sims that mindlessly bounce from one wildly exaggerated emotion to the next and nothing else to make them unique.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited January 2020
    I hope they do, we need it! Add likes and dislikes, an attraction system, a memory system (as in, what happened to your sims affect their reactions, for instance if a sim did something wrong to another sim in the past, that sim might not be pleased when they see each other), more traits, missing emotions like fear....
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Hopefully they'll take these results seriously and work to implement the suggested changes into the game. Sadly, it'll probably take a while for any of it to actually be added, but....better late than never.....I guess.
  • Avatar1111Avatar1111 Posts: 12 New Member
    I would love a Higher interactive system for the AI. But I have unkind memories of the "Rumor" system, which had a memory and behind the scene interactions as well and so on. At the time everyone thought it sounded like a great idea in the beginning but later proved disappointing and more of a pain for the players - I think that was put in Sims 1 or Sims 2. Sorry can't remember which.

But I would love anything that made a real positive addition the interaction complicity the Sims NPC AI.
  • SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    I really hope they will improve the personalities, add a fear and memory system and also likes and disliles.

Imagine, you will have a harder time to become friends with your arch enemy, that guy you have beaten up just to get the friendship bar all to the red will refuse to talk to your sim :smile:
    Also I would like to see that your sims children will get traits after events that happened, like a child that have divorced parents will have a possibility to get the gloomy trait, when it ages up, or a toddler that learned every skill to the fullest can become a genius or children can get a trait from their parents or grandparents.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    The survey options sounded amazing its what I have been waiting for but until the content is actually added to the game and done right I'm going to hold off any excitement. If they can add a memory system that makes it so my Sims remembers their best friend worst enemy cheating ex and so on with a actual personality and trait overhaul done right and not just reusing animations calling them new this game could be fun once leaving build mode.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I hope they can make this work. They seem interested in trying if it was on the survey. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I'll definitely be watching for more news on this.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    Will they be able to do these things without going to far? Overkill seems to be the watchword for this game. I really do not want my Sims furious at everyone all the time or to be incompatible with 99% of the population.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I hope so.... I honestly put 10 on everything, because I want everything. Personalities need a big haul.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    JACKIEJOY wrote: »
    Will they be able to do these things without going to far? Overkill seems to be the watchword for this game. I really do not want my Sims furious at everyone all the time or to be incompatible with 99% of the population.

This is a real issue and worry for me too. They did it in TS2 and it worked just fine. That said, they did a lot of things in the past that worked fine in the other games that don't work fine now sooo...

I'm going to choose to remain hopeful. Personalities are the one thing that is really lacking in this game for me and I would just love to see my sims be more like the sims they advertised in 2014.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2020
    JACKIEJOY wrote: »

That was never a problem in TS2!! It worked amazing and made the gameplay superb...! But I could understand why you'd be worried in a TS4 context, since somethings haven't been exactly tweaked to work 100% well, like multitasking and sims constantly trying to talk to you.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited January 2020
    Hopefully, but it sounds like a difficult thing to do that they have avoided from doing before...they are barely willing to add new whims with every pack. And now they want to do a personality overhaul?
  • VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    Personally for me they don't even have to go super in depth for it.
    All I ask for is that when I go up to someone, beat them up, make their kid cry, and make out with their spouse in front of them that they don't turn to look at me and go "Nice weather today"
    EMrBkJP.png
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited January 2020
    I want some kind of depth. It's interesting hiw you guys pointed out the emtions, I think they'll need to revamp them in order to incorporate properly these features. So now I'm kinda hesitant if they're gonna make it happen or not.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    If they can pull this off, they’ll turn Sims 4 into a Sims 5. An entirely new and different game. I’ll still regret the sims and the art style, but the game itself will be an improvement. Sims 4 could become its own successor.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    But I have unkind memories of the "Rumor" system, which had a memory and behind the scene interactions as well and so on. At the time everyone thought it sounded like a great idea in the beginning but later proved disappointing and more of a pain for the players - I think that was put in Sims 1 or Sims 2. Sorry can't remember which.

Sims 2. If Sims gossiped, the game pulled from the stored memories, and created a new gossip memory that could then continue to be passed around.
    Each gossip memory contained a file fragment from the Sim doing the gossiping and whoever they were gossiping about. So, it added up to a lot of stored information after awhile. On top of that, if you deleted Sims, deleted their gravestones, or if the game did either of those on it's own, you severed the link between the file fragment in the memory of any remaining Sims who had it and the Sim you just deleted. A lot of unlinked Sim data could cause your game to become corrupted and start having errors. (And anyone who has dug around in the files knows they already left plenty of unlinked Sim data when they released the game.) Additionally, if you now place the Sim from the bin into a new neighborhood, you've just put that Sim and their unlinked data into a new neighborhood.
    Even if you had no unlinking issues, it would get to a point where anyone could know anything and it was annoying. Like, why is Mortimer gossiping about my Sim kissing Angela Pleasant (completely in private) with PollinationTech#9 Smith??

After cleaning up the mess in SimPe, I installed Batbox (not it's actual name, which escapes me at the moment) which cleans up garbage memories. I also never used the gossip interaction with my own Sims.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I think it's a positive step. I was genuinely interested in a lot of stuff in the survey. I hope we see basically all of it.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    For me personally, we really need this personality overhaul. For some reasons, the chemistry between Sims is one of the good indicator on how 2 Sims should be with each other, which at the same time can cause lots of drama too. For now, it seems like I'm forcing my Sims to get married or live with one & another just by flirting around with the next available Sims.

Besides, with a major personality overhaul, it will change & improve a lot of our gameplay across all packs. Although whims are great, but it's nothing but a random thought of what Sims wants at that particular moment. However, say if the Sims have fear or favourite, their whims should be inclined towards that instead of randomly asking for a box of bee or 1x1 pool.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I voted for everything on the relationships page as 10 except one (i really don't want the compatibility thing... It's the main reason I don't like sims 2)

I wish non mutual relationships had been listed but it does seem like they are planning some kind of update :). Excited to see what.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I voted for everything on the relationships page as 10 except one (i really don't want the compatibility thing... It's the main reason I don't like sims 2)

I wish non mutual relationships had been listed but it does seem like they are planning some kind of update :). Excited to see what.

That was the one with the zodiac system, wasn't it? All my Sims were Libra to ensure that their zodiac signs wouldn't interfere with whatever I planned to do with them.

I wouldn't mind if incompatibility were based on traits - it seems logical that a slob and a neat freak would have issues, for example.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited January 2020
    All that stuff listed related to more social depth and personality is why I cannot stay interested in this game beyond checking out the latest pack. I've recently decided not to buy anything else until the game is finished after being disappointed with University. I am waiting until the end so I can freely mod it.

If we get a personality and social overhaul, that might make me interested in the game again.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds