Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a way for elders to stop stressing out? (Help please)

AnitalifegurlAnitalifegurl Posts: 281 Member
I said it before, the parents of the household are now elders. And when I played they have a nearly constant stressed moodlet or uncomfortable moodlet. I get it with being elderly there's more bodily pain that's uncomfortable. But will they continuously complain about being uncomfortable cause of their old age now?

I'm sure they have that orange moodlet box about aches and pains cause they are elderly. But will they keep on whining over it or will they stop whining about it until they are dead?

Cause I noticed it's constantly on their mood, like a basic feeling of being uncomfortable when there's no filth around. So I don't know.

I have the base game, no mods or expansions. I'm not against using cheats. And I don't have the things to craft fountain of youth or whatever 0r the Death Flower. I mean one of their sons, did craft a Health Potion as a kid and still has that potion. I never tried out the Health Potion so I don't know what it does and I don't wanna waste it. So just looking for some advice on elders. This is the first time I have to deal with elderly sims so please be kind and give me a break. I don't want the parents to be uncomfortable. One thing I did for them is moved their bedroom to the ground floor so they didn't have to use stairs, though their private bathroom is still upstairs. :/ I might have to redesign my house for their comfort, so they can use less stairs.

Again please be kind to me. First time I had elders to care for. I also need advice on their basic care so they can live a good long elderly life each without much fuss. Also is working still okay? Henry is an painter, Linda is a babysitter. I need a lot of help for their comfort.
Post edited by Anitalifegurl on

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    The Overexertion modlet should only occur if they've been doing something physically stressing - like exercise or woohoo. As for the uncomfortable surroundings modlet - put walls up and look for a plate or cup that wound up on a shelf or something, because those aren't default for elders. Or a pile of garbage that somehow glitched behind a counter. Those are the usual culprits when any sim has a "messy surroundings" modlet and you can't see why.

I play with elders all the time, and even when their bedroom is on the third floor, I never had a problem with stairs tiring them out. However, they also tend to have a 7+ in fitness because the house has its own gym (I've been playing in it for 9 generations now on long life) so that may be a factor.

If they have jobs and are getting the overworked modlet, let them take some vacation days. They can keep working, but they can also retire and get some money daily (about half what the base pay is for their current job level) I don't know if that applies to babysitters though, since that's a part time job. (I tend to have my elders go through their Vacation days and then retire.)
  • AnitalifegurlAnitalifegurl Posts: 281 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    The Overexertion modlet should only occur if they've been doing something physically stressing - like exercise or woohoo. As for the uncomfortable surroundings modlet - put walls up and look for a plate or cup that wound up on a shelf or something, because those aren't default for elders. Or a pile of garbage that somehow glitched behind a counter. Those are the usual culprits when any sim has a "messy surroundings" modlet and you can't see why.

I play with elders all the time, and even when their bedroom is on the third floor, I never had a problem with stairs tiring them out. However, they also tend to have a 7+ in fitness because the house has its own gym (I've been playing in it for 9 generations now on long life) so that may be a factor.

If they have jobs and are getting the overworked modlet, let them take some vacation days. They can keep working, but they can also retire and get some money daily (about half what the base pay is for their current job level) I don't know if that applies to babysitters though, since that's a part time job. (I tend to have my elders go through their Vacation days and then retire.)

Thank you! :smiley: They seem to be constantly tired or something. I'm not sure what their deal is. I'll have to go in and check and see if I can report what that specific orange mood they are feeling is so much. And yeah, that's a good call to search for trash or dirty dishes. They have 5 kids so I believe they are keeping the house fairly clean. Though that's always a good idea cause you never know where sims set down things. XD

Hmm, if stairs don't stress them out, then maybe I can return their bedroom back to where it was originally, the second floor so they can keep their private bathroom. But I've been worried cause they seem to be in that orange moodlet so much.

Hm, I think Henry still can work longer, he seems more able? I don't know, he walks around with a straight back. Meanwhile his wife, Linda, she often has sagging posture. I worry more about her since her pose changed and she sometimes holds her back.

I loved the advice you shared with me :smiley: Feel free to return if you gain any more advice for my elders :smiley:
    The sagging posture and the holding their back is just an elders walkstyle thing. They do it less if their fitness is high or they have the active trait, but the only ones I've had ignore the sagging completely were the ones that completed the body builder aspiration - and even they will occasionally do the "my back" gesture. (also it seems more pronounced on female sims than male sims.)

Elder sims do have a faster decay on their energy need, but a slower decay on their hunger need, so that may also be a factor. At least I think they do. Since I play on long life, my elders frequently have the "seldom Sleepy" and "hardly hungry" traits from the rewards store, since they have a bunch of aspiration points available. So I don't notice need decay differences as much on them.
    The sagging posture and the holding their back is just an elders walkstyle thing. They do it less if their fitness is high or they have the active trait, but the only ones I've had ignore the sagging completely were the ones that completed the body builder aspiration - and even they will occasionally do the "my back" gesture. (also it seems more pronounced on female sims than male sims.)

Elder sims do have a faster decay on their energy need, but a slower decay on their hunger need, so that may also be a factor. At least I think they do. Since I play on long life, my elders frequently have the "seldom Sleepy" and "hardly hungry" traits from the rewards store, since they have a bunch of aspiration points available. So I don't notice need decay differences as much on them.

I don't think Linda has a high fitness level or is very active. :/ I hope it's just a dramatic walk cycle she gain rather "alright, I feel like i'm gonna die soon" kind of thing. Her aspiration is about family. Yet maybe it's a more pronounced thing with her cause that's how it is females vs males in the game.

I don't think I had to worry about their needs very much since I often use the fill motive cheat on their needs, It's just easier so they don't have to stop an activity just to handle a need. And the rewards store, where is that? :/ I don't know where it is at all so I haven't tried to use it yet.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

I don't think Linda has a high fitness level or is very active. :/ I hope it's just a dramatic walk cycle she gain rather "alright, I feel like i'm gonna die soon" kind of thing. Her aspiration is about family. Yet maybe it's a more pronounced thing with her cause that's how it is females vs males in the game.

I don't think I had to worry about their needs very much since I often use the fill motive cheat on their needs, It's just easier so they don't have to stop an activity just to handle a need. And the rewards store, where is that? :/ I don't know where it is at all so I haven't tried to use it yet.

On the tab where it shows their life aspiration and the things they need to do to achieve it (The first bigger circle tab right before job info on the lower right corner of the UI) there's two little circles. The star lets you pick a new aspiration, the present one is the rewards store. For each whim or aspiration item completed they get aspiration points to spend on extra traits at the rewards store.

On the tab where it shows their life aspiration and the things they need to do to achieve it (The first bigger circle tab right before job info on the lower right corner of the UI) there's two little circles. The star lets you pick a new aspiration, the present one is the rewards store. For each whim or aspiration item completed they get aspiration points to spend on extra traits at the rewards store.

Cool! :smiley: Thanks for the help! :3 Maybe I'll check out the rewards store next time I play for cool things :smiley:
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

Cool! :smiley: Thanks for the help! :3 Maybe I'll check out the rewards store next time I play for cool things :smiley:

yw :) I have one Sim who has completed almost all the life aspirations so she has soooo many traits, all the reward ones for the aspirations AND the reward ones from the store plus she's bought several money trees from there lol. Her needs never decay by this point lol

yw :) I have one Sim who has completed almost all the life aspirations so she has soooo many traits, all the reward ones for the aspirations AND the reward ones from the store plus she's bought several money trees from there lol. Her needs never decay by this point lol

Sweet :3 That sounds like something to look forward to in the future for me and Sims 4.

Oh, and the Rewards store also has potions - including the Potion of Youth (which just resets their age to the beginning of their current age category, so if they're already elders, they'll stay elders and just go back to the beginning of being elders.)

Oh, and the Rewards store also has potions - including the Potion of Youth (which just resets their age to the beginning of their current age category, so if they're already elders, they'll stay elders and just go back to the beginning of being elders.)

Oh cool I forgot to check out the rewards store! XDD
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    Elders should retire. If they had a career, they will get a pension based on how advanced they were in it.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

Admiral8Q wrote: »
    Elders should retire. If they had a career, they will get a pension based on how advanced they were in it.

Aw but I have one more rank to go in painter for the rustic bed! I'm sure Henry has enough life in him to get that bed XD Then I'll let him retire. XD
    Sorry to sidetrack, but

@Admiral8Q - why do you think elders should retire? I mean, I do have my elders retire after a point, but I don't always have them call up and retire on their birthday (or the day after) But I do that for story reasons, not for any mechanics reasons. As far as I can tell, there's no mechanical drawback to having Elders continue to work.
    Sorry to sidetrack, but

@Admiral8Q - why do you think elders should retire? I mean, I do have my elders retire after a point, but I don't always have them call up and retire on their birthday (or the day after) But I do that for story reasons, not for any mechanics reasons. As far as I can tell, there's no mechanical drawback to having Elders continue to work.

Yay :3 All I want is to earn that super cozy bed! One of it's beddings is my favorite! The Starry Night bedding! Aw, I love that painting so I'm so excited to be able to get it. And I think Henry can earn it :3 Rank 9 currently, just gonna get to Rank 10! XD
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    Sorry to sidetrack, but

The question was how to reduce stress for elders. I didn't mean they should retire immediately. ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    I have yet to retire an elder, but I'm working on it. I was hoping to use up my scientist's vacation before he retires, but I got the message that his time is running out. I'll probably just give up the rest of the vacation days and have him retire. Easier than trying to remember to call in every day.
    Sorry to sidetrack, but

The question was how to reduce stress for elders. I didn't mean they should retire immediately. ;)

It's okay. I understood that. Lol When I last played, Henry came home sore from work. Poor fella. But it'll be worth for that cozy bed! :smiley:
    CaprianaB wrote: »
    I have yet to retire an elder, but I'm working on it. I was hoping to use up my scientist's vacation before he retires, but I got the message that his time is running out. I'll probably just give up the rest of the vacation days and have him retire. Easier than trying to remember to call in every day.

Or you could use your reward points in the reward store to get the Youth Potion and take your scientist back to the start of his elderly stage of life, giving some more time before it runs out if you still have some breakthroughs that you're so close to getting from your scientist sim. It's only a suggestion tho. Good luck :smiley: