Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SPIRAL STAIRCASES!

How can there not be the addition of spiral staircases in Tiny Home stuff pack? James Turner even mentioned ladders...the stairs we have take up so many tiles. I don't recall spiral staircases or ladders to take up that many tiles in Sims 3.

c'mon!!

Comments

• FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    I would rather have spiral staircases added in a free update than behind a paywall. I do think they would fit the pack perfectly, but I’m sure some people would be annoyed that they would have to buy a stuffpack for it
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Spiral staircases would probably still be 4 tiles. I'd have liked a nice 1-tile ladder.

Have they commented anywhere as to why they did not include a ladder? Bearing in mind we already have the animation for it.
  • StevieJohn88StevieJohn88 Posts: 181 Member
    I don't think they add build mode features into smaller packs sadly, or at least I'm sure I've seen a guru tweet about that in the past.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    I would love spiral staircases too and they fit very nicely with the theme of tiny living. But I think it would be better to get them in a patch rather than a stuff pack. Just imagine downloading a house from the gallery and then having to renovate it because the original had compact spiral stairs and you don't own that particular pack.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited January 2020
    My best guess is that they want to include spiral staircases and ladders in a free update. Stuff packs do not apparently have the budget or the right people involved to make large changes to the game engine.

Maybe they want to add other things this year so they wanted to release this pack now.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,381 Member
    I've been wanting spiral staircases for a long time, but I never expected them to be added in a stuff pack. I still have hope that we'll get them some day, but if not... it's not a big deal. We can't always have everything we want.
  • Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    How can there not be the addition of spiral staircases in Tiny Home stuff pack? James Turner even mentioned ladders...the stairs we have take up so many tiles. I don't recall spiral staircases or ladders to take up that many tiles in Sims 3.

c'mon!!

Its not about the how many tiles placing a ladder or stair would take up, its about the height of the wall I think because the stairs needs to follow the height of the wall that might perhaps difficult to implement in the game. In S3 we have only one height wall, S4 has 3 different heights of wall type.

The Sims Game
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,860 Member
    edited January 2020
    Speaking of spiral staircases and bunk beds.

• JadesimmerJadesimmer Posts: 76 Member
    Speaking of spiral staircases and bunk beds.

excuse excuse excuse...I feel sorry for them
    4kTG3iX.png
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited January 2020
    I would personally prefer ladders in a tiny home. I didn't really stop to consider the full implications that wall height would have on those, though, so that's a good point to bring up. They were able to figure it out with columns recently, so I'm confident that they could make it work. Even if they just gave us 3 separate assets of ladders for each wall height. No need to have the ladder slide like the columns do now, if they don't want to do it that way. You're definitely right that the wall heights do make it more complicated, though, so I can see why it wouldn't be included in an SP. I still want it, though! lol

I have no idea what the hold up is on spiral staircases, but they're not as big of a deal for me as ladders are. I'm not sure they will ever come, especially now that they did the stair update which allows you to rotate your stairwells. In regard to customization and functionality, that update is a vast upgrade over stairs in previous iterations, but it doesn't save you any space and they don't curve... so my space saving loving heart still wants something like spiral staircases. I just like having space saving options, but I have learned how to wrap stairs around the exterior of homes and implement other creative solutions in the meanwhile.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Ladders could cause a lot of trouble with pets and toddlers. On the other hand the animation already exists for pool ladders.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    @alanmichael1 Ooooh, you're right. I don't ever have pets in my household so I didn't think of pets. In my mind, pets and toddlers would have no access to the parts of a build accessible only via ladders, and that's something I would be ok with. Maybe the Devs don't think most other simmers would be ok with that limitation, though, and that's one of many reasons they may not be very enthusiastic about devoting time to developing that asset.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • mjalletmjallet Posts: 47 Member
    What a sham of an excuse, stairs that go at a right angle are a free update but spiral staircases are too much for a stuff pack? Do they really think we're that stupid?
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    mjallet wrote: »
    What a sham of an excuse, stairs that go at a right angle are a free update but spiral staircases are too much for a stuff pack? Do they really think we're that stupid?

Unlike stuff packs that have not only a budget but also size and content amount limits, the free update have none. So yeah, they can easier add that kind of content via a free patch than through DLC.
  • mjalletmjallet Posts: 47 Member

Unlike stuff packs that have not only a budget but also size and content amount limits, the free update have none. So yeah, they can easier add that kind of content via a free patch than through DLC.

So they spend more money developing stuff that they give us for free, sorry not EA. I don't believe that for a minute.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I would have like ladders, but maybe we can get them in a free update ? They would be nice for attics too.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

So they spend more money developing stuff that they give us for free, sorry not EA. I don't believe that for a minute.

Terrain tools, pools, toddlers, modifiable stairs, freelancer careers... you can of course believe what you want but it wouldn't be the first time.
    Also this specifically says stuff packs which by design are small. Might just be that things like spiral staircases are more likely to happen in a GP or EP which have less limitations.

Personally, I don't see the reason to complain about the possibility of having spiral staircases in a free update rather than having to pay for them via a pack.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I would personally prefer ladders in a tiny home. I didn't really stop to consider the full implications that wall height would have on those, though, so that's a good point to bring up.

The thing is though, you can build so that the dock ladders go up multiple floors, (with whichever wall height), and your sim will climb up to which ever one you told them too. So height is already figured out. Leaving out ladders from a tiny home pack is leaving out a key part of what makes many tiny homes functional. The only excusable reason to me is if they're coming out as a free update.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Build mode items don't come in stuff packs. Larger game packs, expansions or free updates. It's really just that simple. Things like windows and doors but you won't find anything complicated. The complicated item in a stuff pack is usually the one game play item it's focused around.

Like others have said, I'd prefer spiral staircases and ladders be added to the base game in a free update. To me those are core game play items and they shouldn't be behind a pay wall.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    as the devs said it's too much resources for a stuff pack and money. which funny because ea is a multibillion dollar business.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited January 2020
    EA are probably not willing to finance them for more without wanting them to raise the price. For $10 they are probably pretty limited in what they can do. If EA would put in more money then they would expect something in return because they are not going to change their finances just because people want spiral staircases. It's possible Maxis do not want that either, how much that should be included in a stuff pack is an agreement between the developers and the publisher, Maxis have said how much they can deliver and EA is providing them with money to do it. A larger budget generally means that Maxis have more to deliver.

So when they say "not enough resources" they mean that they would have to charge you more or change their agreement with their publisher. They are not really willing to do that for spiral staircases... Hopefully they have decided instead to include them later this year as a free update.
    Post edited by logion on
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    logion wrote: »
    EA are probably not willing to finance them for more without wanting them to raise the price. For $10 they are probably pretty limited in what they can do. If they would put in more money then they would expect something in return because they are not going to change their finances just because people want spiral staircases. It's possible Maxis do not want that either, how much that should included in a stuff pack is an agreement between the developers and the publisher, Maxis have said how much they can deliver and EA is providing them with money to do it.
    A larger budget generally means that Maxis have more to deliver.

So when they say "not enough resources" they mean that they would have to charge you more or change their agreement with their publisher. They are not really willing to do that for spiral staircases.

And not when we have the stair tool now. Not quite the same I know, but likely enough to put the spirals on the back burner and onto other things.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    I think the stair update we got is suppose to cover spiral stairs. I don't think they're going to give us anything else.
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    Has there been any mention of spiral stairs being added eventually?
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited January 2020
    aaronrulz wrote: »

c'mon!!

I would like them to, ladders to, and basement outdoor stairs, the ones with a door in the ground leading out into the garden
    basement windows to
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon