Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which lot types, in your opinion, are you best at building VS worst at building?

I'm generally a community lot builder. I'm especially comfortable with building entertainment venues (such as bars, nightclubs, museums, parks, pools, etc). My favorites to build are nightclubs, bars, restaurants, and museums! Sometimes parks too, if I can think of a creative layout! The same goes for pools (I usually build water park themed venues when I do).

However, I completely fail at building gyms!!! I'm not gonna lie, I've never actually been to one in real life... lol And I've attempted to base mine on the ones that are pre-built, but I still fail every time! lol Even searching online for inspiration doesn't help me at all! Libraries also seem to be an issue for me... I've been to plenty in my lifetime, but I fail at building them on The Sims (without making them look extremely basic and box shaped).

Spas are more 50/50 for me... the ones I build either come out really nice or really awful! lol There never seems to be an in between with them. The same applies to residential homes. However, almost every house generally has the same interior layout (while looking different on the outside), which is an issue I try my best to stray away from when I'm building them... lol But they somehow end up being similar, regardless.

Which lot types are you most comfortable building? And which ones do you feel are some of your worst (if you have any)?
Favorite Packs
Sims 1: Hot Date
Sims 2: Seasons
Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
Sims 3: Seasons
Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
Sims 4: Seasons
Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg

Comments

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Best at houses (and then not great). Worst at building...most community lots, because I rarely try. I really need to fix this.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited January 2020
    Best at houses (and then not great). Worst at building...most community lots, because I rarely try. I really need to fix this.

I was originally the same way at first... I honestly never wanted to put the effort into building my own community lots... or even residential homes (aside from the one I'll actually be playing), but I one day decided to take it up and became addicted ever since! lol I love building in The Sims now! :heart:

I completely remodeled every single world (except for Glimmerbrook and Britechester, which I haven't gotten around to yet due to playing Sims 3 lately).
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    For the community lots, I've been re-modelling them to make them more interesting. I could post some screenshots if you like.

Building from scratch is always tough. Takes play-testing either way though to see what works. Like in homes I try to get the kitchen sink(s) closer to the eating area than the bathroom sink(s), for example.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited January 2020
    I more often edit community lots than build from scratch. I think residential lots are easiest for me and parks probably hardest... I have built a park but it's all the landscaping that makes it so hard. I once built a restaurant too, it was easier to do.

I think it's mostly about having an idea and then realizing how that will fit the sim behaviour assigned to a certain community lot. You could get really creative with how the actual lot looks like, no matter what type. In my game I have downloaded a gym that is mostly outdoor for example.
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    I'm definitely a community lot builder as well. I have ideas all the time for community lots, but when it comes to residential I just stare at the grid for 15min trying to think of something.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I'm good at downloading from the gallery. :D
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I've never built anything but residences and one veterinary clinic, so I guess I'm bad at everything else. :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Which lot types are you most comfortable building? And which ones do you feel are some of your worst (if you have any)?

Comfortable? i don't think of comfort on the subject, but rather what type of logical layout i can do. in the past i've had some complimentary comments about the way i layout parks for example, even one gym. it's just about organising and setting it all up appropriately.

You look at the base game gyms and there are things that can be changed immediately. for starters, there is a lot of open space, not enough showers and dedicated areas to change in with lockers.

The Oasis springs gym is a favorite of mine, because of the layout. with some adjustment you can get a lot more exercise machines in place, a nice sitting area and a place to grab a drink, be it water or coffee. If you reorganise the area where sims shower, you could get 5 or more in that one area that is criminally being underused.

The Willow creek Gym could do with the removal of a sofa, and expansion to bring more showers up on the second floor. the upper bar can be reorganised as well as well as a sitting area. The boxing room on the first floor can get more punching bags as well.

However considering it, you want a sitting area with access to coffee and water options, as well as waste bins for repairs on objects leaving rubbish behind. Then you'll want showers and at least 6 of them, this should be directly proportional to the machines you have, so for every shower you have two exercise machines can be placed down.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    For me, I can't really say I'm specifically bad at one type of lot, but I do prefer to build residential lots over community lots. I prefer smaller lots over bigger ones. And I prefer classical building styles over modern.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I’m worst at large-scale houses and huge community lots.

Also, restaurants. Too fiddly, too many BS requirements, not enough objects that sims visiting the lots will actually use.

Outdoor venues such as pools and parks are my favourite lot types to build. Nightclubs are good fun too.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I love the big lots. I just wish there was more of them because I love to build and so many cool lots Simmers have made on the Gallery too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    I think the best I can do is with small residentials and teen rooms (because my inner teen is not dead yet)
    I absolutely suck at anything that is supposed to go on big lot because first of all I ain't got patience to fill them out
    and secondly I keep making the buildings way too small for the lot p_p

public venues? often end up like one giant box of idk what this was supposed to be
    definitely not in my skillz

been trying to get better at some older buildings and roof thingies now
    so I have feeling that if I get outsides right first and then do insides
    that might help me with the problem ._. but dunno

I'm just always so fixated on making this or that room that I forget the outsides have to make sense as well
    so I've just sort of flipped it with ''only build outsides of houses and do insides to them later''
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member

I was originally the same way at first... I honestly never wanted to put the effort into building my own community lots... or even residential homes (aside from the one I'll actually be playing), but I one day decided to take it up and became addicted ever since! lol I love building in The Sims now! :heart:

I completely remodeled every single world (except for Glimmerbrook and Britechester, which I haven't gotten around to yet due to playing Sims 3 lately).

I did some building and remodelling in my Victorian save and it was fun, and I frequently build homes when I play legacy style, but most of the time I get eager to play so I just don't build lots that often. I keep thinking about building a world from scratch but it just feels like too much work and I will inevitably get bored quickly.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    I'm not a good Nightclub builder as I just can't get into the idea of a nightclub being a separate building with its own exterior architecture. Most nightclubs I've been to are underground, don't have windows and are part of some other building.
  • lisken0221lisken0221 Posts: 116 Member
    I like to decorate more than build, I appriciate the beautiful builds on the exchange and download one unfurnished to redesign and furnish. I can find a residence and change it into a restaurant for instance. I also like redoing the city apartments. As to parks having a lot of landscaping, try downloading outdoor rooms from the exchange there are loads of small flowerbeds and such.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm a creative builder but I'm a bit inexperienced in this version. I have built community lots including an elaborate gym, Oasis Lifestyle Fitness. Maybe I'll photograph it and share when I send a sim there again. I added a pool to the one in Willow Creek in the back.

I've definitely built and edited some community spaces. Recently, I lightly edited Sergeant Pepper's Pub. I added Victorian carpeting, a fireplace and one of the coat closets from Get Together upstairs.

I mentioned this before but I built a movie theatre / bowling alley that I use a lot. It's boxy but I specifically wanted it to look boxy because most modern "funplexes" like that do look like that. It's dark inside because it's an all-weather indoor destination with carpeting that looks like "jazzy" movie theatre carpet. It also has a bar and a wall of popcorn makers. I send sims there when I want them to have fun without worrying about the weather.

I've renovated quite a few houses. More recently, I gave more building a try. It took more time but I ended up being attached to the end result.

My "weak" points are roofing and decorating. I really should probably do a roofing tutorial for anything beyond an easy roof. For decorating, I never used to put any clutter in my houses. Now, I do add a bit more but I prefer a less cluttered look than most on the gallery, I think. Now, I add a detail here and there. When I download from the gallery, I appreciate the effort but I end up pulling out some decor that just takes up space without functionality. In the kitchens, I like using functional appliances and having more than one bare counter for prepwork whenever possible.

Typically when building, I'll build most of it and then keep adding details or tweaking a place as sims move in and start using it. I make sure their basic needs are met first and then I add more details or decor. I also want the house to reflect their personalities so I don't want them all to have the same clutter objects.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • CellardwellerCellardweller Posts: 92 Member
    I am most comfortable building restaurants and small to moderate sized homes. I like my builds to be more realistic and highly functional with good flow for efficient game play. Kitchen flow is fridge, prep area, stove, sink. Garbage can needs to be close to front door or back door and outside garbage can next to it. I like common or even gritty realistic themes.

My weak points are landscaping and large, sprawling, luxury homes. Sims life is so time critical that having spacious areas stresses me & I just don't like doing gardening or outdoor design in the real world so I don't have much interest in it in game.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited January 2020
    I'm best at residential homes because I make sure every skill can be worked on with music room, exercise wellness area, as many bedrooms with a nice large walk-in closet and personal bathroom. There is a study downstairs and sometimes a nice personal library and so much more. I'm not good at cafes and parks in my opinion though. I could do a better job at landscaping too. It's more that I don't want to take the time and energy to do landscape after I spent a lot of time building a home. I know it'll make the home pop from the outside give it some interest. I am good at a modern design for my builds but am really bad building other styles of architecture even though I really love them aesthetically.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    Best in furnituring apartments or making nice gardens, worst at building itself. Everything just looks like a shoebox, so thank you for all builders, that share on the gallery <3
  • AbraKadabraAbraKadabra Posts: 304 Member
    I'm pretty good with bars because they can be very diverse in style. I find gyms to be very hard because they always end up looking the same.
  • keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    I'm best at residential lots, unless we're only talking community types, then I'm best at bars. Definitely worst at restaurants, I always struggle to find a theme that's good enough to send my sims there more than twice. I've only got like one or two decent restaurants, the rest I keep wanting to rip down.