Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the worst expansion pack and game pack and why?

Just a bit of fun and curious what others say

Comments

• StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I'd say the spa game pack and the island expansion. I don't think they're bad in themselves, but I find them the least interesting ones compared to the others.
  • VampireSapphireVampireSapphire Posts: 90 Member
    Stutum wrote: »
    I'd say the spa game pack and the island expansion. I don't think they're bad in themselves, but I find them the least interesting ones compared to the others.

I wanted to get island expansion for the mermaids, but doesnt seem worth it for the price, maybe one day I'll get it when it's on sale again
  • MelFoxMelFox Posts: 44 Member
    edited January 2020

I wanted to get island expansion for the mermaids, but doesnt seem worth it for the price, maybe one day I'll get it when it's on sale again

I got the Island pack in the sale.. its a pretty world for sure, and I like the objects you can build and furnish with, but I'm so "meh" about the mermaids, I can't even tell you.

I've been given some money for my birthday, enough for two stuff packs or one expansion or game pack, and I can't choose, so I am interested in this kind of discussion. I have Outdoor (not tried it yet, just downloaded), Island, Laundry, Cats & Dogs, and Get To Work. I do like that last one, and the Laundry Day stuff is nice.
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    Worst EP is definitely Island Living. Sulani is beautiful but the pack is so lacking in terms of gameplay.

Worst GP is Strangerville. I love the world itself and having the military career is nice, but apart from that, the story driven gameplay is not my cup of tea. Very repetitive and there's not even different routes and choices.
    MelFox wrote: »

I got the Island pack in the sale.. its a pretty world for sure, and I like the objects you can build and furnish with, but I'm so "meh" about the mermaids, I can't even tall you.

I've been given some money for my birthday, enough for two stuff packs or one expansion or game pack, and I can't choose, so I am interested in this kind of discussion. I have Outdoor (not tried it yet, just downloaded), Island, Laundry, Cats & Dogs, and Get To Work. I do like that last one, and the Laundry Day stuff is nice.

Let me know how outdoor is, I missed the sims sale :( was saving so didnt get any then got extra money but the sale had ended the day before :( I was tempted to get outdoor as I never use my simd work vacation days and then my sims get stressed out so it would be nice to have an actual vacation .
    Why are the mermaids so meh? I hear others saying the same. I loved fairies and mermaids of sims 3
    Why are the mermaids so meh? I hear others saying the same. I loved fairies and mermaids of sims 3
    They can swim a lot (they need to for hydration) and call over a dolphin.. they can look pretty cool with the colourful tails n stuff..
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Strangerville and Spa Day just don't offer that much to the overall game. I couldn't decide which was weakest. Island Living is the weakest of the expansions. I love the world of Sulani but overall the pack is shallow.
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member

It's definitely a good idea to wait until it's on sale. It's worth having, but not for full price.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I’d probably say Cats and Dogs and Dine Out or Outdoor Retreat. The uncontrollable pets bother me. Dine Out seems to get buggier every patch, and Outdoor retreat is just boring, plus Seasons made the aspirations really annoying.
  • ApricusApricus Posts: 671 Member
    I bought island living full price. Was running out of gameplay options in an hour. I like the mermaids, but other then that..there’s just nothing else I’m very fond of. I thought the world was pretty when I got it but now I just think it’s bland.

I only have the vampire and RoM gamepack, both I like. I don’t have it myself, but spa day sounds very uninteresting.
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    I’d probably say Cats and Dogs and Dine Out or Outdoor Retreat. The uncontrollable pets bother me. Dine Out seems to get buggier every patch, and Outdoor retreat is just boring, plus Seasons made the aspirations really annoying.

Yeah I'd not bother with Cats & Dogs if I could have a do-over, same reasons. Good to know Dine Out is buggy, I seem to remember it had issues in it's TS2 version.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I have almost all dlc, besides of RoM, DU and Strangerville. I don't regret buying any pack, all the packs i own have something that i like. That being said, my least favourite expansion packs are Get Famous and Get together. Can't pick one of them over the other. GF because i don't like the fame system. GT because i never really use the clubs, but the world is actually great. From the gamepacks i own i have to pick OR. It is for me the weakest, and more after Jungle Adventures. Anyway, customazing it is a good solution for a somehow boring vacation world. I've added a pool venue, a spa and a restaurant to give my sims more to do and lately im enjoying it.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    For EPs, I chose Island Living. The fact that I don't think I have to explain this choice should say a lot.

For GPs, get ready to hear my weekly dose of insulting the red-headed stepchild of The Sims 4. I feel like a lot of packs skimped on content or are half-baked, but at least they do a decent job with their main theme. StrangerVille failed as a story pack because there's barely any story, and there's very little you can do to make your story unique because you're railroaded with this dumb scavenger hunt system.
    There's nothing for them to do. They can swim and talk to dolphins, but there's no underwater exploration or skill trees to give them purpose or progression.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    I have everything but MFP (because console) and really the only things I’m disappointed with are how badly DU was flubbed all around and how absolutely gutted RoM feels.

All of the packs have been more or less half-baked and skimpy, but those two are the ones that irk me most.

Tropical paradise stuff is not really my thing, and as someone who’s lived in Hawaii and has property there, Island Living is about as exciting as I expected. Living there is never as exciting as vacationing there, and EA nailed this aspect.

DU on the other hand... it’s just a mess and there are plenty of threads discussing all the ways it went wrong already.

RoM is a mixed bag for me. I love the spell book, and how magic was handled overall. I wasn’t expecting anything too over the top or overly complicated because this is Sims 4. But there are a lot of things lacking. Again with the oversized objects! (Cauldron or hot tub?) The BB mode is pretty cool, but the worlds are just tiny and abysmal. If we must protect the reality players from Magic by locking away all the magic users, then the magic users should have been given a large magical realm to live and build in!

I get it. Toggles aren’t an option. That’s fine. We can be reasonable and compromise. But if we’re going to restrict where a main pack feature appears, don’t cram it into a itty bitty tiny world with no buildable lots.

RoM absolutely lacked a lot of the little bits and pieces that make a pack good. No witches hat? Really? And yes, why no fortune teller? Crystal ball? How about a couple new planters for growing ingredients? Or BB objects to be able to make our own version of that teaser greenhouse we can’t even enter? What about some rickety wooden buy mode stuff to make a wicked witch cottage?
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited January 2020
    I like all packs, but I'd have to say City Living and Spa Day.

Worst expansion I had to choose between City Living and Get Famous. Get Famous has some fun game play, but I only have one celebrity and I don't necessarily want more, I don't like the fancy B&B or CAS items either. Anyway, I chose City Living to be the worst because I hardly ever make my Sims live in San Myshuno. I can't fast forward time when there are neighbors standing in the hallway (it's extremely annoying when it happens when my Sims are sleeping). The festivals are not much fun, especially romance festival when all the Sims attending are married.

Worst game pack was difficult to choose. It was between Spa Day and Outdoor Retreat. I chose Spa Day because even if I love to take my Sims to Spa there is not much else to do. Most B&B items are too weird for my taste and I don't use them much. Outdoor Retreat has items that I use a lot (both CAS and B&B) and Granite Falls is great, I just often forget that it exists. I remember choosing earlier Outdoor Retreat as the worst game pack on another thread, but I probably didn't even remember Spa Day was a game pack (it feels more like stuff pack).
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    For me, my least favorite EP is City Living. I don't like that apts are restricted to that one world. I like the noise issue better in s2 because if you built the bedroom away from a common wall, the noise didn't wake your sim up. They only heard it if they were in the room with the common wall. It also would have been nice if it functioned more like S2 as to when you visit your neighbour, it wasn't a loading screen. And the common areas in the complexes could be changed and added to. CL apts just in no way, no how, compare to sims 2 apartment life!

I also absolutely HATE the situational outfit thing that cause sims to dress awfully with something, or many things, from each dang clothing category.

The festivals are boring. The flea market is boring. And they overlay if you don't stay til the end so everything can disappear.

The other "uptown" neighbourhoods and places are very unrealistic. I just don't like it. The only district worth having sims live in is the Spice district.

As to least favorite GP? It was a tossup between Parenthood and Spa Day.

But I really don't like the kids making messes everywhere with parenthood, so for that reason, I choose Parenthood as my least favorite. And I use Spa Day BB all the time even if my sims don't always go to the spa.

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited January 2020
    The worst Game Pack is Outdoor Retreat. Not enough unique things you can only do while in Granite Falls. Boring

Get To Work is my least favorite Expansion Pack. I don’t like active careers, aliens, or running my own business with the pack’s current features.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    For me the EP would be Island Living. I'm not finding it fun at all. We can't go under the water with our Sims (IE as in Sims3) and there's really precious little to do on the island itself.

As for GPs, I'd have to say Jungle Adventure wasn't what I'd hoped for, either. I really enjoyed World Adventure from Sims3. In fact I made that my go-to for Honeymoons. Getting back to JA, it's very hard to take a group on a quest. Even if they're all part of a group, the main Sim might get through a barrier, but the rest of them are left outside. Wasn't the fun I'd hoped it would be.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Worst Expansion - Get Famous because I find celebrities annoying and disruptive to my sims lives.
    Worst Game Pack - Outdoor Retreat. Granite Falls is boring.

• SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    The worst expansion pack to me is, I don't even know the name of, this one with Windenburg and the clubs. I like the DJing but I never play with clubs and the world itself is just not pretty in my eyes.
    Worst GP is Outdoor Retreat in my opinion, its just plain boring and it always rains if Seasons is installed. During the winter you can't even find the plants, because they are out of season.
    But also Strangerville and the Vampire pack are just not my style.
    fullspiral wrote: »
    For me, my least favorite EP is City Living. I don't like that apts are restricted to that one world. I like the noise issue better in s2 because if you built the bedroom away from a common wall, the noise didn't wake your sim up. They only heard it if they were in the room with the common wall. It also would have been nice if it functioned more like S2 as to when you visit your neighbour, it wasn't a loading screen. And the common areas in the complexes could be changed and added to. CL apts just in no way, no how, compare to sims 2 apartment life!

I also absolutely HATE the situational outfit thing that cause sims to dress awfully with something, or many things, from each dang clothing category.

The festivals are boring. The flea market is boring. And they overlay if you don't stay til the end so everything can disappear.

The other "uptown" neighbourhoods and places are very unrealistic. I just don't like it. The only district worth having sims live in is the Spice district.

As to least favorite GP? It was a tossup between Parenthood and Spa Day.

But I really don't like the kids making messes everywhere with parenthood, so for that reason, I choose Parenthood as my least favorite. And I use Spa Day BB all the time even if my sims don't always go to the spa.

I have city living and agree, the festivals are interesting at first and the romance one looks pretty but that's it. I like parenthood but man the kids making messes constantly is so annoying. And also the special traits (manners, empathy etc) interlink and some are easy to get the extremes for (responsibility) and some are pretty hard (for conflict resolution I'm just repeatdly shoving a sim bcoz most interactions affect other stuff)
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    Island Living, it could have been a great pack if it wasn't half finished and full of bugs.
  • mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    For expansion packs, I'd definitely go with Island Living. The world is pretty but that's about it. I got bored playing it after about 5 minutes.

For game packs I had to think about it a lot, because I don't really feel super strongly about most of the game packs. But I'd probably say Outdoor Retreat or Strangerville. I hardly ever take my sims camping, because there's not really much to do. As for Strangerville, I don't like that you can't turn the story off, because sometimes I want to just live in the world without having to play through the story. I could just ignore it, but it's hard to with infected sims walking around everywhere. It's also something that can't really be replayed, because it's the same story every time.
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,943 Member
    I don't really have a least favourite expansion. I can find something I like with all the ones I have. I only recently purchased Island Living and I do like the look of Sulani. I'm not hugely bothered by the lack of stuff to do. Since Isla Paradiso was so buggy I never really played with it, and I never investigated scuba diving properly, nor have I played with mermaids much.

As for game packs... yeah, Outdoor Retreat is the worst. I've sent my Sims camping maybe twice, it was so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 boring. I sent them home early.
  • DestinycrowDestinycrow Posts: 36 Member
    I only have two game packs, so I can't say much for them.

As for Expansion Packs, I think (out of the three I have) that Cats & Dogs is the worst. Not having controllable animals bothers the plum out of me. Even Sims 2 had controllable pets, although it was with cheats. I also think it just seems kind of half baked to me. There isn't a ton of content from that pack that I use on a daily basis. This is also the pack that I feel should have had werewolves, but maybe that's me being a Sims 2 player for the most part.

Seasons ranks next, but that's only because I get super frustrated at the calendar feature. It irritates me that I can't make Winter longer than the other seasons, at least from what I have played with.

(Oh, and thanks guys! I know which expansion pack to get next. Not IL, not GF, but Get Together. Thank you! :smile: )