Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dark staircases.

Before I had to get a new computer, I was having problems with my staircases not lighting up. Then after I got the new computer they were fine. Then I decided to build something, and when I used the room cubes, the problem came back. I took that house out and it was ok again. So it seems this problem is related to using room cubes. The stairs would not light up no matter how many lights you used.

Comments

• QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Room cubes? What does that mean, exactly?
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    I'm certain the OP is referring to the rooms you can purchase to help build a house.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Not sure, my stairs are always dark and I never use these.
    I'm certain the OP is referring to the rooms you can purchase to help build a house.

Dianesims wrote: »
    Not sure, my stairs are always dark and I never use these.

Yeah, I almost never use those either.

The stairs seem way brighter now though. Before the black ones from get together were just pitch black, but now you can actually tell that they’re made of wood, which is nice.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »

When you go into build mode there are rooms you can just put out instead of drawing them. I don't know what else to call them.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    They are called Styled Rooms, but room cubes sounds extremely cute <3

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Nindigo wrote: »

I'm not talking about the ones that have things in them, but the ones you build from scratch with nothing in them. I don't know if that is still styled rooms, can't remember.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Ooh, yeah...those. No, those aren't styled rooms. Those are definitely room cubes ;)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

catitude5 wrote: »
    QueenMercy wrote: »

When you go into build mode there are rooms you can just put out instead of drawing them. I don't know what else to call them.

I think that’s just called the room tool.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    I've always used the room tool and don't have this problem. Did you make sure the ceiling or roof covers the whole room?
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    Nindigo wrote: »

I'm not talking about the ones that have things in them, but the ones you build from scratch with nothing in them. I don't know if that is still styled rooms, can't remember.

I know exactly what you mean. I have this problem often in rooms (cubes) with stairs where the lights often don't come on for some reason. I think it's a glitch in the programing. I do find if I seal the stairs in on all sides and top and bottom with walls and doors, that often solves the "lights not turning on" problem.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

DeKay wrote: »
    I've always used the room tool and don't have this problem. Did you make sure the ceiling or roof covers the whole room?

Yes.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    Wierd lighting on stairs has been an issue since Sims 2, You would have think they would have managed to avoid the bug in a new engine, but no.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
    What I do now is draw the whole thing, no cubes. Then when snaps close, I draw the rooms. I was having problems before with the lighting in the rooms also when I used cubes. One room would have a yellow tone, another a clear white tone, and one that wouldn't light at all in the early evening. So bottom line, I can't use cubes.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    That's really odd. 😂 I've always used the room cubes ever since the game started.

Is this problem new to you or how long has it been like that? Cuz I haven't been building for quite sometime now. Either way, all my current builds are built that way and they look fine to me right now.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    I think it may have more to do with ambient lighting. For example, I have alot of lights (probably too much) in the big bedroom in my main Calhouni house. It has a glass roof. So in the day it seems dark now with "Seasons" on cloudy day, since technically light is coming in. But at night, all the lights that can't be turned on in the day, suddenly come on and it's really bright at night.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

When I have room that won't light, no matter what light, or how many lights, it still won't light up. It's not a new problem, I just got a new computer. When the dark stairs started to happen, I just started drawing the houses again.