Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Going Green Expansion

I wonder why with the climate crisis, we don't have an expansion dedicated to alternative energy, living off grid, recycling, reusing etc.? I mean The Sims has gender fluidity and lgbt relationships why not eco-friendly?

I envision solar panels, wind turbines both focused to reducing bills or eliminating them all together and maybe even gaining money if your house has enough panels and the weather cooperates. Add more items like fans that someone could use instead of air conditioning. There should be a greater focus on "off grid" items, the reuse water etc. There would be benefits to growing your own food and making your own clothing (once the DIY pack comes out) Being able to buy and sell used items like you can sort of already do at at the flea market. Perhaps even making a business out of consignment or used items. You would get bonuses for being earth friendly. And it could easily be made into a career close to either conservationist or political activist or some combo of those. Similar to picking up trash around Island Living expansion you could go through peoples trash and pick out recyclables, or try to convince people into being better to the earth. Maybe even make a neighborhood event where the air quality gets better the more neighbors you convince to go solar. Put more focus on bicycles, skate boards or even car pooling.

Can you think of anything more you'd like to see in a "Going Green" expansion?

Comments

• lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    I don't know about an expansion. But I would love to see a game or stuff pack. The IL patch gave us off the grid, and some objects, but it is seriously lacking. There is potential for so much more. They need to bring back what we had before- solar panels, wind turbines, recycling, composting and new ones like wells and cisterns. Also, added usability of what we have. Why can't we take showers? Why is the cooking so limited when it's definitely possible to cook tons of food with gas? Why are items like oil lamps and candles in BB not available off the grid? And there's no alternative to some things that need a computer or phone, so you have to put a computer in your inventory and go to a community lot. We should have a hand cranked laptop or be able to use solar power to use the cheaper laptops and tvs, and the old stereo system. Or, have the option to do more by mail, like ordering plumbing parts.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    We almost had one but then people decided that going green = doing laundry.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • LeaxxieLeaxxie Posts: 23 Member
    I agree the current Off the Grid is lacking. I'd love to make a sim and lot that centers on being off the grid. And lighting and cooking are infuriating. I'd love to see positive moodlets coming from living off the grid.
    We almost had one but then people decided that going green = doing laundry.

I missed the first poll. Man it's a shame.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    In a word, NO.
  • M1ss_PlumbumM1ss_Plumbum Posts: 189 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    I don't know about an expansion. But I would love to see a game or stuff pack. The IL patch gave us off the grid, and some objects, but it is seriously lacking. There is potential for so much more. They need to bring back what we had before- solar panels, wind turbines, recycling, composting and new ones like wells and cisterns. Also, added usability of what we have. Why can't we take showers? Why is the cooking so limited when it's definitely possible to cook tons of food with gas? Why are items like oil lamps and candles in BB not available off the grid? And there's no alternative to some things that need a computer or phone, so you have to put a computer in your inventory and go to a community lot. We should have a hand cranked laptop or be able to use solar power to use the cheaper laptops and tvs, and the old stereo system. Or, have the option to do more by mail, like ordering plumbing parts.

A stuff pack is too small for Going Green. I’m thinking Game pack or Expansion pack aswell.

I love your ideas though. :)
    edited January 2020
    I think Going Green would become my favorite pack. It’s soooo relevant for our time and it will give more challenges to the game. :)

Those new features will give us so many story possibilities like:

- a mermaid living on a deserted island off the grid.
    - an old hippie trying to live off the land.
    - a paranoid climate geek living in strangerville.

Post edited by M1ss_Plumbum on
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    I'm pretty sure island living was their try and I don't feel like having another ep worth of it
    but I would not mind stuff pack with some off grid type objects and solar panels and such
    in my opinion there isn't that much significant gameplay that would need new animations to make it bigger than stuff pack

biggest thing I can really think is I'd like to be able to carry water for my sims from somewhere or dig well
    since its unrealistic to try and live with no water at all

bicycles are already in uni and carpools make no sense unless there is cars pack or update first
    since adding cars in ecological pack? um no?

digging from trash already exists in the game they'd just have to add more objects to find
    and im not sure if adults can do it but we got it for kids toys and such

flea markets festival thing in city living and selling tables and even retail shops of all kinds work well for selling used items too so no specific needs there either
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    catitude5 wrote: »
    In a word, NO.

Why not? You would be able to still have non-green stories.

edited January 2020
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure island living was their try and I don't feel like having another ep worth of it
    but I would not mind stuff pack with some off grid type objects and solar panels and such
    in my opinion there isn't that much significant gameplay that would need new animations to make it bigger than stuff pack

biggest thing I can really think is I'd like to be able to carry water for my sims from somewhere or dig well
    since its unrealistic to try and live with no water at all

bicycles are already in uni and carpools make no sense unless there is cars pack or update first
    since adding cars in ecological pack? um no?

digging from trash already exists in the game they'd just have to add more objects to find
    and im not sure if adults can do it but we got it for kids toys and such

flea markets festival thing in city living and selling tables and even retail shops of all kinds work well for selling used items too so no specific needs there either

I doubt the devs will be able to put all of this into a stuff pack (they weren’t able to put bunk beds in Tiny Living). But perhaps a game pack is big enough.

I like your idea with the flea market. What do you think about that the objects sold/bought are clearly used?

It could also be fun if the sims could do diy projects on the like making new objects out of old objects or found objects.
    I think Going Green would become my favorite pack. It’s soooo relevant for our time and it will give more challenges to the game. :)

Those new features will give us so many story possibilities like:

- a mermaid living on a deserted island off the grid.
    - an old hippie trying to live off the land.
    - a paranoid climate geek living in strangerville.

Exactly what I was thinking. And honestly surprised that they didn't include those. I don't care what form, expansion, stuff etc. it comes in. I really like the idea of having a sim live completely off grid for all the above ideas. And if you attempt that now you have very limited choices when it comes to cooking and have to deal with negative mood status of dealing with not hot water. There is nothing positive about living off grid at all.
    We need worn down starter home furniture for this pack. :)
  • RhiannonravenRhiannonraven Posts: 128 Member
    YEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!! This is such a good idea. The climate crisis is such a huge issue and the sims is honestly pretty consumerist right now. I would love it if there was an option to live in a more sustainable way.
    I thought it might be neat to have a neighborhood event like in Strangerville where the neighborhood is smog ridden and gets better the more you can convince your neighbors to go green. Also lending to an Activist and/or Conservationist careers you can follow your sim to involving similar cleaning up like in Island Living.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo. Am I the only one who plays games for mindless fun? I never even played the conservative career or whatever it's called. And never picked up any trash from the island. Because if I wanted to clean up trash and save the earth I wouldn't be doing it in a video game. I would rather our alien sims to have space ships to abduct sims and shoot lasers. Or something along those lines. But I guess it's just me.... :'(
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo. Am I the only one who plays games for mindless fun? I never even played the conservative career or whatever it's called. And never picked up any trash from the island. Because if I wanted to clean up trash and save the earth I wouldn't be doing it in a video game. I would rather our alien sims to have space ships to abduct sims and shoot lasers. Or something along those lines. But I guess it's just me.... :'(

That is exactly the best part of this game. We can all roleplay in what ever way we think is fun.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited January 2020
    As if trash island was not bad enough I leave my island a mess tired of Sims 4 perfect worlds give me eco unfriendly.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • c4tlover123468c4tlover123468 Posts: 27 Member
    This would be pretty cool! This could also be a farming pack too!
    edited January 2020
    My ideas:
    *making own cleaning products, maybe it gives a special mood let when you use it on something
    *upcycling/recycling
    *scooters
    *renewable/electric cars
    *compost, paper and recycling bins
    *more veggies, fruit and growable fruit
    *wheat,sunflowers, pumpkins and corn plants
    *making cornbread, muffins, bread
    *kids can cook
    *bamboo products
    *kids can become activists (like Greta!!!💚💚💚)
    *compost
    *vegan trait
    *vegan meals
    *SEEDS (edible)
    *ability to harvest seeds from things like sunflowers and pumpkins
    *eco living aspiration
    *borrowing books from library
    *DIY Projects
    *able to change to renewable power
    Lol idk if all these are related, but I like the idea!
    Post edited by c4tlover123468 on
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I think something like this would be perfect for a game pack instead of an expansion. I'd definitely buy it if the devs gave us more eco-friendly content that's for sure!

Some ideas:
    • Focus on clean energy - The usual wind turbines, solar panels, rainwater filtration (if you have Seasons), groundwater wells, hydro-electricity/water wheels etc, with a reduction in household bills if placed on home lots.
    • Energy efficient upgrades - Handy Sims can apply upgrades to their appliances, electronics and plumbing to make them have a better energy rating. I'd also like the option to purchase LED light bulbs, this could be done in the same menu where you can select light colour and intensity, as well as choosing one room or the whole house. Again, both things could reduce household bills.
    • Growing your own produce - I was thinking of two allotment lot types, so community and household. The community one would be available to all Sims and the produce that grows there would be randomized and a NPC gardener could tend to all the plants. The household one could be an additional lot available to purchase, similar to how you would purchase a retail store or restaurant. Only your household would have access to what's on the lot and you can grow whatever you like. There could also be the option to have yard sales to sell fresh produce for extra money.
    • More crafting and woodworking - As mentioned by others, Sims could craft their own cleaning products, including laundry detergent (if you have Laundry Day) and personal hygiene/toiletries. More wooden furniture for the woodworking bench (not stuff already in the B&B catalog) would be nice, especially sofas and beds. Maybe they could have a hand-me-down mattress, pillows and bedding.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.

No. It's pretty mindless fun for me too. A good escape when I'm in pain (I have a couple conditions that cause chronic pain.) I've never bothered picking up the trash around the island either. Lol. But, I occasionally like to play off the grid. Particularly if I'm living in a house I built like Orchard House (Louisa May Alcott's house) which shouldn't have electricity. So having "green" options would make it easier for me to play that way. My Sims are too limited and too dependent on phones and computers (which require you to go to a community lot to use.)
    My ideas:
    *reusable cars

What do you mean by this one?

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited January 2020
    Sooo this pack would be a mix of the first community stuff pack concept + the off-the-grid trait + the Tiny Living pack?

Idk how they'd do it, how they'd market it or deliver it but I WANT IT!
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    My ideas:
    *reusable cars

What do you mean by this one?

@lisamwitt oh lol I meant renewable/electric cars
    I would like if the energy sources and natural resources are realistic. To be green you need to use what is available near you:
    - In Del Sol Valley, Strangerville and Oasis Spring you will lack water but have acces to plenty of solar energy. If you live in Forgotten Hollow it will make no sense to have solar panels.
    - In Windenburg you can collect more wind power than elsewhere.
    - In Granite Falls, Glimmerbrook and Salvadorads the air and water is much cleaner so you doesn’t have to filtrate it. In San Mysuno you are obligated to filtrate water before use otherwise you will get sick.
    - So you have to research on the computer on how to be green in the specific world you live in when you move there.

The bigger your consumerism are, the bigger responsibility you have to take:
    - So a poor grandfather living in a super tiny off the grid house with second hand funitures can be green but doesn’t have to think too much about it.
    - A large, rich, consuming household with lots of spoiled kids has to think more about their footprint. If they don’t take responsibilities they will have to pay more taxes than others.

If you don’t want to have solar panels, wind mills, water filter and green food in your backyard, you can just buy it from the public energy and water center, but if you wanna safe money or wanna live off the grid, you need to supply yourself with water and energy and food. :)