Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Theres no slow dancing???

Comments

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    MaxieMix wrote: »
    This has been an issue for a while now. The thing about previous installments of the franchise is, in my opinion, that they all had personality, humor that wasn't skittish, charm, and a bit of cheekiness thrown in that solidified the series. Plus, it had enough content in the BG to still be fun without an M rating. Except for 1 excluding packs... but I'm not going there. Sure, they were wacky enough to not be considered just another bland life simulator (in my book anyway, certain people I know would beg to differ, lol). But with 4, there's a definite disconnect between Sims. Whether it's due to money or otherwise, I don't feel the interactions have much value, for lack of a better word. After logging 600+ hours into this I hardly see where it's gone, but if I need mods to really feel immersed in a life simulator, just for something as small as slow dancing... then yeah, there's a bigger problem somewhere. I understand limitations, but the romance in this game just comes off as bare bones in general. Stare Lovingly Into Eyes or whatever it's called is the only one I feel that can be regarded as more romantic, the rest seems a bit awkward. No decent collection of rings (like wedding and promise rings) or In-Laws either.

Even with the Parenthood pack there's a significant lack of family time, or just snuggling/hanging out in general. Though I enjoy some packs, it's spread so thin to make money that it's almost funny. Never did I think I'd say the freaking 'Gomez' arm kiss from 2 was one of the highlights of my old sims save. Big kudos to Sacrificial for helping me relive my nostalgic playthroughs, just saying. I doubt we'll see a return of the slow dance at this point, although I'll happily eat those words. Dancing is more synced instead of fun, but perhaps this is a reflection of the times...

Honestly, I hope it isn't anything that 'deep'. :|

Staring lovingly is boring i liked this option in TS2 because you can "move closer" or "move hands down" smth like that

You can move closer with Sacrificial's Slowdance Mod too.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I've been playing TS2 since it came out and am still finding new things. That team knew how to pay attention to the details, even the little ones, and make a well-crafted game. More like a work of art than something mass produced. They cared! If the present team does, then the upper management does not, otherwise TS4 would be TS2 on steroids.

It's crazy how The Sims 2 still holds up even to this day.

Sure, the fashion trends are a little different now than they were in 2005, and that's reflected by the CAS options in-game, but that doesn't matter to me at all. I still play it because it focused on all the right things that makes sense in a Sims game. Life simulation and balanced game design, detailed gameplay, smart Sims that develop as you play them, and great game progression remains unmatched by the successor titles.

Problem with TS2 though is townies didnt age. Also if you didnt play your Sims parents and played their children the children become elders before their parents. TS2 was perfect except for that aspect.

Which is part of the point - players have control there. TS2 delivers what 4 only promises. Sure it has flaws and imperfections, but it's old school sims play - detailed, gutsy, funny, unexpected, fully customizable, and our game. To the topic, not only was there the slow dancing, but even the other kind looked more like dancing than the TS4 style. Just standing around waving a cell phone is not dancing.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    If I recall correctly, it took forever for sims 3 to get a slow dance feature.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member

Slowdancing came with Seasons in TS3.
  • MaxieMixMaxieMix Posts: 194 Member
    edited December 2019

Slowdancing came with Seasons in TS3.

Really thought it would come with Generations or smth

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Nov. 2012. Guess that makes it 3 1/2 years. For some reason this time seems longer..oh wait, five years+ and no where in sight. But yeah, Generations would have been a good pack for it, first kiss, first date, first prom, first slow dance etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »

Nov. 2012. Guess that makes it 3 1/2 years. For some reason this time seems longer..oh wait, five years+ and no where in sight. But yeah, Generations would have been a good pack for it, first kiss, first date, first prom, first slow dance etc.

Wow I never knew that

• RhiannonravenRhiannonraven Posts: 128 Member
    Slow dancing would be pretty awesome
  • Eurostar1127Eurostar1127 Posts: 84 Member
    Yes, I have not seen any slow dancing. Maybe on the Party expansion?
    Long blond haired slim androgynous looking bi boy from London UK.
  • Eurostar1127Eurostar1127 Posts: 84 Member
    > @MaxieMix said:

> @MaxieMix said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Wow I never knew that

Never say never. Great looker! And those tatoos, wow!!!
    Long blond haired slim androgynous looking bi boy from London UK.
    > @MaxieMix said:

> @MaxieMix said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Wow I never knew that

Never say never. Great looker! And those tatoos, wow!!!

not me its a singer of falling in reverse

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    It's more programming than you'd think. Gotta get two Sims on the same/higher level of dancing and the same/higher relationship level and possibly even both in the right mood.

All that even without the animation.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    Loanet wrote: »
    It's more programming than you'd think. Gotta get two Sims on the same/higher level of dancing and the same/higher relationship level and possibly even both in the right mood.

All that even without the animation.

But They could make different animations for sims in a different mood

From what I see in TS2 dancing skill seems to not matter. Relationship and/or mood likely do and are factored into what options are availabale when you click on target sim. Nature and level of relationship are the biggest factors.
    But you should dance with your bf/gf no matter what

• NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    For the record, swaying to the music waving a cell phone IS what people do instead of couple-dance, at events. I've done it. They aren't just waving a cell phone, they are recording the event to share later and remember it by. It's a sign of how successful the event is, not how lame it is. So that part is actually accurate for CURRENT behavior. Not behavior 20 years ago, maybe, but it is real, now.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I've been playing TS2 since it came out and am still finding new things. That team knew how to pay attention to the details, even the little ones, and make a well-crafted game. More like a work of art than something mass produced. They cared! If the present team does, then the upper management does not, otherwise TS4 would be TS2 on steroids.

It's crazy how The Sims 2 still holds up even to this day.

Sure, the fashion trends are a little different now than they were in 2005, and that's reflected by the CAS options in-game, but that doesn't matter to me at all. I still play it because it focused on all the right things that makes sense in a Sims game. Life simulation and balanced game design, detailed gameplay, smart Sims that develop as you play them, and great game progression remains unmatched by the successor titles.

Problem with TS2 though is townies didnt age. Also if you didnt play your Sims parents and played their children the children become elders before their parents. TS2 was perfect except for that aspect.

You actually can age them up quite easily - when your sim ages up, you get a pop-up asking if you'd like to age some townies with them. So if they have townie friends you can keep them growing up alongside your sims. With mods, you can age up more than the default one or two, and you can also (with mods) just hack the system and grow everyone up pretty easily.

It's a different style of gameplay, because it's rotational. So if I have a two sims and they have kids and the kids move out, I can come back to the parents' household and play their lives without worrying about the kids. Usually, I rotate through playing a week in all of my different households.

But ideally for me, we'd have the option of letting the town progress and age around my Sims unless marked otherwise. Kind of like we have in TS4, except with actual story progression too o:)
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited February 2020

This is the main reason that I can't go back to TS2 for long. Also, IIRC, you can't visit other Sims at home without a mod. The game is pretty closed off. However, apartments were cool. I had an entire extended family living in a multi-family building that I'd built myself. They were always going back and forth to visit each other's apartments -- no loading screens..

What's TS4's excuse?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    edited February 2020
    Cynna wrote: »

This is the main reason that I can't go back to TS2 for long. Also, IIRC, you can't visit other Sims at home without a mod. The game is pretty closed off. However, apartments were cool. I had an entire extended family living in a multi-family building that I'd built myself. They were always going back and forth to visit each other's apartments -- no loading screens..

What's TS4's excuse?

Wait, really i never noticed that the townies didnt age in TS2

For the record, swaying to the music waving a cell phone IS what people do instead of couple-dance, at events. I've done it. They aren't just waving a cell phone, they are recording the event to share later and remember it by. It's a sign of how successful the event is, not how lame it is. So that part is actually accurate for CURRENT behavior. Not behavior 20 years ago, maybe, but it is real, now.

Thats pretty cool

• KaruminuKaruminu Posts: 19 Member
    I agree, there should be not just slow dancing but maybe also some foxtrot or tango or waltz and other forms of dancing between couples!
  • DuendeDuende Posts: 175 Member
    I miss it so much. It added something special for formal dates.
    P.S: That song is one of my favourite from "Collide With The Sky". <3
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited February 2020

What's TS4's excuse?

Yep, they don't.

Later in TS2's run, they developed a feature that, when a Sim aged up, allowed them to also age three (?) friends as well. As far as I know, that was it. The rest of the world stayed the same unless you manually went around aging everyone up yourself. Otherwise, a child could have the same childhood friends as their great-great-grandparent had when they were kids. As someone who doesn't enjoy playing rotationally, I couldn't get past that.

I3Ml5Om.jpg

What's TS4's excuse?

Yep, they don't.

Later in TS2's run, they developed a feature that, when a Sim aged up, allowed them to also age three (?) friends as well. As far as I know, that was it. The rest of the world stayed the same unless you manually went around aging everyone up yourself. Otherwise, a child could have the same childhood friends as their great-great-grandparent had when they were kids. As someone who doesn't enjoy playing rotationally, I couldn't get past that.

Again never even noticed

Yep, they don't.

I have the opposite situation as that game feature enables me to maintain control over my households. I like to weave complex inter-connected stories involving multiple households, so I need my sims where and how I left them when it's time to resume their part of the story. As a writer I feel I should control the story, not the medium I happen to be using to tell it.