March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

i dont understand..

This comes from my love of the sims but this has been bothering me.

The sims 4 is supposed to be a life simulator.

Why is everyone so worried about addons when the basics arent even right...

babies arent furniture and shouldn't just live in a bassinet.

This bothers me so much to see, cars, doors, and everything else pushed so hard when the basics of the game aren't even done right.

i think and wish EA game creators of the sims would look at the full element of what the game is supposed to be.

the sims 3 had the basics and we reverted back to the sims 1 with babies.

then all of the glitches and problems players are having and it takes so long to correct them.

Instead of pushing new packs the game should be clear of game glitches, to begin with, i shouldn't have a baby and go outside and change into a hospital gown in middle of winter.

these issues were and have been asked about before but no one from EA ever responded or tried to correct it.

I have always been a fan of the sims and been apart of this community since the sims 1 and i own all packs the sims teams ever created.

so yes I'm disappointed there isn't really care in the basics of what this game is supposed to be.

it's a life simulator, to begin with, and the only focus is making packs with 1 cool item that people ask for but it has been furniture or clothing each time.

its been over 5 years...

when will babies become able to be living beings,

if the sims can cater to pride, and fashion you would think humanity and treating living beings fairly would have come first.

as a mom, it does bother me that i cant recreate my life since my sim infants are permanently attached to a crib...

that's not humane.

Comments

• Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    They are making less content for a biggest amount of money, and they will extend the duration of The Sims 4 timeline as far as they can and fans will still build hope on something that in the end will still a huge disappointment in the franchise!
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    If they make babies a real lifestate and not a generic object, I'd want the sims to be smarter, first.

I don't want to have my sim pick up their baby, walk over to the microwave, drop the baby on the floor next to a pile of dirty clothes, and then go off to stand in front of the fridge while eating their cold in the middle microwave meal despite them having perfectly good leftovers in the fridge.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2020
    thecatsred wrote: »
    If they make babies a real lifestate and not a generic object, I'd want the sims to be smarter, first.

I don't want to have my sim pick up their baby, walk over to the microwave, drop the baby on the floor next to a pile of dirty clothes, and then go off to stand in front of the fridge while eating their cold in the middle microwave meal despite them having perfectly good leftovers in the fridge.
    They managed exactly that in the predecessor (if there’s a crib in the house), so why not in this game?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    They managed exactly that in the predecessor (if there’s a crib in the house), so why not in this game?

Because the sims AI in this game seems so incredibly dumbed down in favor of "emotions", but even those are broken. Have a sim child upstairs doing homework while their parent dies in the basement and they don't even notice. It's a mess.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Perhaps it is supposed to be a life simulator..just not a real life simulator :/

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

edited January 2020

Because the sims AI in this game seems so incredibly dumbed down in favor of "emotions", but even those are broken. Have a sim child upstairs doing homework while their parent dies in the basement and they don't even notice. It's a mess.
    It shouldn’t be but I fear you might be correct.
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Perhaps it is supposed to be a life simulator..just not a real life simulator :/
    Sorry but where life stages are concerned and how the humans in the game act and react? Most definitely yes.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I honestly agree. Personally I think we have more than enough 'stuff'. I think it's high time to get the foundations improved so the gameplay can be more enjoyable.

The sims themselves are just all over the place. The emotions, traits, whims and aspirations systems are so wonky. Emotions need to be way less overpowering, traits need to do more than add moodlets and a few specific interactions, the whims need more depth than "buy this, buy that", and aspirations shouldn't just be new pack tutorials. And most importantly, babies are in serious need of an overhauled so that they are living sims instead of objects with needs. There's no reason we should be able to carry our pets around and not our babies. Elders, children, and teens also are in in desperate need of attention, because as of now, they're all ignored while YAs continue to get all of the gameplay while the others have nothing to make them stand out. Its a serious problem when toddlers are the only life stage that feels semi-unique, but are still ignored in the majority of content. I can only pray that it changes this year.
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    The problem is that this team doesn't seem to understand how to add anything other than limitations. What the game needs for more depth and complexity, is more features to the features. But anytime we ask for changes or improvements on things like that all we ever seem to get is... more limitations. Packaged and promoted of course, as features.
  • ThenyoukissmeThenyoukissme Posts: 304 Member
    I fully agree. I have been putting off buying some of the newer packs because I already am dealing with so many glitches and bugs that seem will never be addressed, I dont really need to add more. The core of the game itself is broken, but it would be exciting for them to update things like relationships (being able to set sims as cousins, girlfriend/boyfriend )or add changes to the emotion system, which was the focal selling point for TS4. As well as not doing that, It seems as though when we want something simple that should have been in the base game i.e bunk beds we have to beg and beg and wait years. They make it seem that it’s impossible to add basic things. A good example is cool kitchen, they added one counter to a pack about kitchens and the reason for that is ‘kitchen counters take a lot of work.’ Isnt that your job though? I dont mean to be rude or negative, but I find myself getting more frustrated with spending $50+ on packs that lack basic content (especially when CC creators offer so much more). Time and time again we see the same objects in packs that are just a different mesh.

My point is that you’d think if effort isn’t being put into improving larger things like relationships, babies, emotions, that we’d get more effort into objects and bug fixes. Playing TS3 I am astonished at everything the sims do in base game alone, astonished!! Like I said with TS4 its made out to seem that adding the most basic of basic things is too hard, even something as simple as a ladder, which we already have for pools. How is it that previous sims games seem more advanced?
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I think that the more you expect from the game, the more disappointing it seems. I would like to point out that not everybody feels it is broken and dissatisfactory. It's all good that people of the same opinion can band together, just remember that one group's truth may not be everyone else's :)

Personally, I see bugs and annoyances, yeah. But I have other things in life that I care so much more about, and I also play several other games. I can't quite relate to the level of seriousness some of you seem to put into what this game specifically doesn't offer (yet).

I have a feeling that the most major complaints about Sims 4 will be "rectified" in Sims 5. Sims 4 is already an elderly game and some things, the Devs just decided to do differently in this iteration compared to the previous ones. And have learned, I assume.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

edited January 2020
    Nindigo wrote: »
    I think that the more you expect from the game, the more disappointing it seems. I would like to point out that not everybody feels it is broken and dissatisfactory. It's all good that people of the same opinion can band together, just remember that one group's truth may not be everyone else's :)

Personally, I see bugs and annoyances, yeah. But I have other things in life that I care so much more about, and I also play several other games. I can't quite relate to the level of seriousness some of you seem to put into what this game specifically doesn't offer (yet).

I have a feeling that the most major complaints about Sims 4 will be "rectified" in Sims 5. Sims 4 is already an elderly game and some things, the Devs just decided to do differently in this iteration compared to the previous ones. And have learned, I assume.
    There's what we might expect from a game and there's hyping. I see a lot of hyping going on surrounding Sims 4 and yes, that's bound to lead to disappointment. The very reason there is this hyping phenomenon however, has everything to do with the game's lack of quality and content. Back in 2011 we got bunk beds. Hurray, bunk beds, so convenient for my household with six kids at the time. Nowadays if they'd add bunk beds? People would scream, cry, faint, and make videos about that. So, I'd like to turn it around: the more disappointing something turns out, the more you start to expect from it. And every grain will feel like a planet. After which it turns out to not be a planet, but just a grain. That's Sims 4's issue, or rather, the player's issue. The fact that everybody has a life outside Sims and other hobbies doesn't change that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    It's one of the (few) times the Sims Freeplay gets one over Sims 4... the baby's worked in that. They could crawl around and do stuff. Even had baby skills! Now babies are needy furniture. Literally. I think you can buy one with the bb.showhiddenobjects cheat. That's just wrong.
    banner.png
    edited January 2020
    It's one of the (few) times the Sims Freeplay gets one over Sims 4... the baby's worked in that. They could crawl around and do stuff. Even had baby skills! Now babies are needy furniture. Literally. I think you can buy one with the bb.showhiddenobjects cheat. That's just wrong.
    I agree, the Freeplay system would be ideal afaic. Babies you have to skill into toddlers (crawling around and doing really simple things) and then 4/5 year olds as a next life stage.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 247 Member
    Yep a Life Simulator. IF, you are a 30 something programmer still living in Mom,s basement and know nothing about reality.
    Which is why I have started looking for better simulations lately.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited January 2020
    Watching some of those free play videos made me pretty angry. The kids had seesaws, kid ovens and all sorts of fun stuff. I don’t watch them anymore. I am tired of seeing what should be in this game.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member

Here, here. Unless they can make it so that when a sim is holding a Baby, they can't set the kid down on anything but a chair, a crib, or some other piece of designated furniture (play mats, playpens, baby swings, whatever), it's probably better that they're stuck to the crib. My sims getting ADD and dropping the kid on the floor to go play a game or whatever was incredibly annoying in TS2, and I've heard of people having that problem in TS3 too (maybe it was fixed eventrually or not as frequent as TS2, but it did happen). Unless the floor baby problem can be fixed once and for all, crib babies are really the best we can hope for with this game...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Why is everyone so worried about addons when the basics arent even right...

Because not everyone wants the same things or even uses it in their game play. I do hope they make babies better for those that want it but I'm still going to age them up quickly or even skip the baby and child stage completely with nearly every sim family I play. I'm sure I'll try it out for the novelty if they do improve that life stage for awhile of course.. then I'll go back to the way I like playing more.
    Your basics aren't my basics. I want things that I want for my game and get excited over those things when they are released.
    I'll be really excited for cars by the way even if others hate the idea of getting them. We all want different things.
    egTcBMc.png
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Well to each their own. I hate babies and age them up the second my sims get back from the hospital.
    Also "humane"? I'm sorry but talking about pretend people's babies and claiming it in any way is inhumane that they can't leave the crib on their own is slightly offensive, to be honest.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited January 2020
    "Inhumane" seems like a pretty strong term for some pixel people in a game. However, I agree it that it would be nice to do more with them pick them up and switch bassinets at least.

Last night my sim had twins. I was expecting one baby however and had the baby room set up for one. I gave them the bassinet from ROM. When she had 2 babies instead, the other magically went into it's own bassinet and it was a base game one so now my room doesn't match and I can't pick up the baby or switch the bassinet out. :/

As someone else mentioned though, if they "free the babies" then I'd like to see them take precautions and only let our sims place them on more baby items they add (like a play mat or play pen) and not just drop them on the bathroom floor. I remember my sims in TS3 just dropping them anywhere they stood if they got a better idea, like going on a swing. I've had them left on bathroom floors, next to broken kitchen appliances and even out in the snow, (with snow depth so I had to use my baby sim's plumbob to actually track down the baby). Heck, I've even seen them placed on the floor BESIDE the crib. If this is the kind of thing I will get in TS4 then NO THANKS. How they are treated now vs TS3 is probably more "humane"!
    Post edited by Camkat on
    Origin ID: Peapod79
    edited January 2020

Here, here. Unless they can make it so that when a sim is holding a Baby, they can't set the kid down on anything but a chair, a crib, or some other piece of designated furniture (play mats, playpens, baby swings, whatever), it's probably better that they're stuck to the crib. My sims getting ADD and dropping the kid on the floor to go play a game or whatever was incredibly annoying in TS2, and I've heard of people having that problem in TS3 too (maybe it was fixed eventrually or not as frequent as TS2, but it did happen). Unless the floor baby problem can be fixed once and for all, crib babies are really the best we can hope for with this game...
    In Sims 3 as long as there's a crib on the lot, the sims are determined to put the baby in it (they'll even do that first thing when you drop a baby there yourself). They even ignore their next task to do so (it will have to wait in its upper left corner till baby's in bed). So there is really no excuse other than 'that is a lot of work folks' to not implement it. And I suspect that was the very and the only reason.
    Camkat wrote: »
    "Inhumane" seems like a pretty strong term for some pixel people in a game. However, I agree it that it would be nice to do more with them pick them up and switch bassinets at least.

Last night my sim had twins. I was expecting one baby however and had the baby room set up for one. I gave them the bassinet from ROM. When she had 2 babies instead, the other magically went into it's own bassinet and it was a base game one so now my room doesn't match and I can't pick up the baby or switch the bassinet out. :/

As someone else mentioned though, if they "free the babies" then I'd like to see them take precautions and only let our sims place them on either more baby items they add (like a play mat or play pen) and not just drop them on the bathroom floor. I remember my sims in TS3 just dropping them anywhere they stood if they got a better idea, like going on a swing. I've had them left on bathroom floors, next to broken kitchen appliances and even out in the snow, (with snow depth so I had to use my baby sim's plumbob to actually track down the baby). Heck, I've even seen them placed on the floor BESIDE the crib. If this is the kind of thing I will get in TS4 then NO THANKS. How they are treated now vs TS3 is probably more "humane"!
    The only occasion where sims in 3 put a baby on the floor - when there's a crib - is after using the cleaning table (from the Store). And even then, when you do nothing and wait a few seconds, also then will they pick it up and put it in its crib anyway. How do I know? Because we had this discussion here a couple of times and I tested it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    The only occasion where sims in 3 put a baby on the floor - when there's a crib - is after using the cleaning table (from the Store). And even then, when you do nothing and wait a few seconds, also then will they pick it up and put it in its crib anyway. How do I know? Because we had this discussion here a couple of times and I tested it.

Interesting. That was not my experience. Like I'd mentioned, I've found the baby on the floor beside the crib. *hmmm* to be fair though, oftentimes it was house guests picking up the baby and just dropping it where ever, I think the actual parents tried a little harder. It still happened often enough (and yes I always had cribs) for me to remember this being a prominent issue for me at the time.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I really don't mind that the babies are stuck to the crib. It makes it easier to find them when they are crying. In my experience with the sims 3, my sims would sometimes leave the baby out in the snow and I wouldn't be able to find it until the little freezing thought bubble would go above the mound of snow that was the baby. I also find that babysitters and other visiting sims would often take the babies out of the crib and leave them on the floor. So babies being objects doesn't bother me at all.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    To me, it just doesn’t seem intentional that they made babies the way they did. It comes across as very rushed and almost as if it were a last resort. Which comes at no surprise, given the history of The Sims 4’s development.

Really, all of the life stages were in some regard compromised at development, and still are today. The game really only shipped with two real life stages, kids and young adults. Teens are just younger adults, toddlers were MIA, babies are objects, and adults/elders showed little to no variation from young adults.

In a life simulator, I’d hope to see a lot of variation between the stages of life..
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I find my sims 3 babies are always put in their cribs. My sims 2 babies? Not so much. My current families just plonk them on the floor.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    To me, it just doesn’t seem intentional that they made babies the way they did. It comes across as very rushed and almost as if it were a last resort. Which comes at no surprise, given the history of The Sims 4’s development.

Really, all of the life stages were in some regard compromised at development, and still are today. The game really only shipped with two real life stages, kids and young adults. Teens are just younger adults, toddlers were MIA, babies are objects, and adults/elders showed little to no variation from young adults.

In a life simulator, I’d hope to see a lot of variation between the stages of life..

I think they said the reason . Was because they did not like how babies were in three . They wan to add more things that you can do with them.Which sadly they had to makethem objects.