Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is this seriously the best EA can do at this point!? ('Tiny Living' RANT)...

Comments

• Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Of course it was posted to build more hype for DU. It was supposed to be a hint about some kind of contact sport the Uni students could take part in. But all it did was confuse everyone because it had absolutely nothing to do with DU or a new sports activity. And that teaser was all about a bed that didn't make it into the EP because the other B/B objects that should have been in the dorms, were pulled so a new stuff pack could be made from them. I understand many players are excited about the challenge of a new lot type, but I can't help but think about the lot trait from Island Living that was also advertised as a new challenge and failed, because the teams didn't create enough assets to make it workable. Everything in Tiny Living should have been in DU. The world that came with DU should have been built with small lots along with the Tiny Home lot type so the students would have had more options on where they could live. The new downsized B/B assets should also have been in DU. Bundling everything in Tiny Living into DU would have made that EP worth a forty dollar price tag. The bad news is there aren't very many lots in the current worlds to accommodate a community of tiny houses unless we use larger lots that are more suitable for conventional family-style homes. I mean, how cute would it be to have an entire world filled with these tiny houses rather than scattered throughout all the worlds, in places that don't really make sense? That's the first thing I thought about after watching the reveal trailer.

If the patch includes a way to split large lots into sections, then this Tiny Living pack would be more attractive to me. But that might be a bit too much to ask for from the teams. Especially this late in Sims4's timeline. If the patch includes more usable items that fit with the concept of a tiny home lifestyle, I might be more interested in this pack. That patch holds the key to how well this new lot type will work.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    jooxis wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Hmm, this is seeming more and more like a "My First University" stuff pack but it's getting less vitriol from the public because they were wise enough to not officially name it that.

Well at least this one isn't a SP that you can only use if you have another EP.

True :) (thought you could still use most of MFPS without Cats and Dogs)

You can. I have MFP and do not have C&D. The only thing I can't use are the pet beds and pet clothes. (Well, obviously - you need to have a pet for those.) Everything else works, and aside from the hamster (which is the reason I bought the pack), there is cute furniture for kids and a onesie for my toddlers that I use constantly.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    It's like when they tried to get us to shell out $10 to do laundry.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    Just noticed the trailer when sims getting crused by murphy bed, eerily similar to animation that simguruninja posted way before university pack reveals, if thats really the same animation thats really messed up that murphy bed is developed before university pack and they didnt put in university but instead in new pack after it.

See? You notice this too...I am convinced they pulled from DU and slap a price tag on it..
    Actually IT IS the same animation.

edit : -smh- Y'all can't tell me this wasn't meant for DU!!!

Okay... this officially angers me even more! :angry: They're literally just hungry for money at this point... there's absolutely NO reason why the Murphy bed couldn't be included in 'Discover University'... especially when the animation was done BEFOREHAND! This irritates me A LOT!

EA literally just looks at us and thinks, "these people will buy ANYTHING we throw at them!"... and I really hate how the gurus always act all perky and fun loving when there's obviously something extremely unethical happening with the development of these packs... and yet, they just turn their heads and ignore it all!

My guess is gurus get some kind of commission for the packs that sell... so they're more than happy to make us buy these ridiculous packs... when A LOT of the content should've been included in other game and expansion packs!

'My First Pet' is evident of them being completely oblivious and out of touch with their fans... it was obviously NEVER a good idea to release that pack... they knew that for a fact! However, they decided to go with it anyway... because MONEY!!!

Course I have posted this to other threads and most people just look at me like I am crazy saying "that is no way proof this was meant to be DU, but it's hopeless explaining to you so I won't." .....why is this community so blind?

Unfortunately, too many Simmers will literally buy ANYTHING EA throws at them... and it's sad! The fan base is extremely loyal (probably the most of ANY gaming franchise out there) and EA loves taking advantage of that. The Sims is their biggest cash cow because the fans LOVE just buying ANY pack they release.

I mean, they could release an entire stuff pack revolving around garbage and trash cans... and Simmers will be all over it! They'd be like "COOL! We get a new trash can with this $10 pack!!!"
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    None of the stuff packs are worth the full asking price though, IMO, and they certainly all contain items that should/could have been included with other packs. This is the route they took for TS4 instead of the store. It is what it is at this point. We don't have to like it, but it isn't going to change either and enough people will buy it on release day to make it worth it.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I don’t think that tweeted Murphy Bed fail animation means it was supposed to be included in DU. It takes a long time to make any pack and I’m sure they often have to work on them concurrently.

I don’t understand why people think working on an animation in October for a pack with a January release is so ridiculous a notion?
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited January 2020
    I don’t think that tweeted Murphy Bed fail animation means it was supposed to be included in DU. It takes a long time to make any pack and I’m sure they often have to work on them concurrently.

I don’t understand why people think working on an animation in October for a pack with a January release is so ridiculous a notion?

The animation debate is irrelevent.

The Sims 2 Murphy Bed - Apartment Life
    The Sims 3 Murphy Bed - University Life

The Sims 4 Murphy Bed isn't included with the apartment equivalent (City Living) or the university equivalent (Discover University), it's in a separate pack for the first time. Both packs involve living in reduced space and as such it would have fit in either of them, but instead it's being sold as a centrepiece in a separate pack for more money. The object was literally designed with apartments in mind - The Sims 2 describes it as an ideal space saver for them in its description.

Content that was once included at no extra cost is now carrying an extra fee. It might seem small but The Sims 4 has done it a lot of times across a lot of packs. Waterslides used to come with Generations - they're now in a separate pack. Ice cream makers used to come with Seasons - separate pack now. Costume parties and pumpkin carving are now in a separate pack. Bowling is now a separate pack. Hot tubs are in a separate pack. The point is that The Sims 4 deviates from standards set in the past iterations in a way that splits content up, requiring players to pay more for the same objects.

Edit: Water slides came with Generations, not Seasons.
    Post edited by PrincipleOfEntropy on
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
    @PrincipleOfEntropy I’m not arguing against that. TS2 and 3 packs definitely had double if not triple the content than TS4 packs.

I was just curious why some folks are all twisted up about the tweeted animation.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    @PrincipleOfEntropy I’m not arguing against that. TS2 and 3 packs definitely had double if not triple the content than TS4 packs.

I was just curious why some folks are all twisted up about the tweeted animation.

I imagine it would be the timing of it, with it being just before one of the packs a lot of people think it should have ideally been included in, especially considering it was included in that pack in the past.

It would be like tweeting about small pets just before releasing Cats and Dogs, only to then sell those small pets in My First Pet Stuff afterwards. You'd get the same argument - "Hold on, why wasn't this in the last pack?"
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
    @PrincipleOfEntropy Agreed, the gurus need a better communications strategy ☺️
  • GguyGguy Posts: 254 Member
    @PrincipleOfEntropy I completely agree.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

I imagine it would be the timing of it, with it being just before one of the packs a lot of people think it should have ideally been included in, especially considering it was included in that pack in the past.

It would be like tweeting about small pets just before releasing Cats and Dogs, only to then sell those small pets in My First Pet Stuff afterwards. You'd get the same argument - "Hold on, why wasn't this in the last pack?"

IIRC, they did consider doing small pets for C&D, and decided to do the veterinarian career instead. Not because they were thinking, 'we could sell this separately in a stuff pack' (developers don't make marketing decisions), but because that's how projects happen. There are meetings to decide what can reasonably be done with resources at hand, and what is a priority.

In any case, by October, I seriously doubt they were still working on individual objects - by that time, DU was probably complete, and in the process of being tweaked for various bugs and gameplay.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    Just noticed the trailer when sims getting crused by murphy bed, eerily similar to animation that simguruninja posted way before university pack reveals, if thats really the same animation thats really messed up that murphy bed is developed before university pack and they didnt put in university but instead in new pack after it.

See? You notice this too...I am convinced they pulled from DU and slap a price tag on it..

:D He didn't realize his tweet was prophetic. The Sim is saying what people are saying now. :D:D:D
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I feel that the main problem with making a pack based on building tiny homes is that they cannot make all the objects that you would want for just a stuff pack. There are so many more things that takes up large space. It doesn't' help either that the objects that would work well with this pack are things that they have yet to add to the game.

I think the idea is nice, it encourages you to build smaller houses but the pack also highlights the problems with building tiny houses without solving many of them.

The main problem is the misleading title! It should have been called “the Murphy bed” lol

As you mention, you’d think the pack would come with a catalogue of space saving objects. Stuff packs typically only have around 20 objects, but c’mon now that is plenty enough to flesh out a “tiny home”?
    Instead we have another furniture suite that looks suspiciously familiar, and a Murphy bed?

Don’t get me wrong, the suite would be a nice addition, but I’m disapointed already because the title suggests something else..? Same with the granny chic theme btw in the recent vote. Psychedelic Granny maybe, but nothing was chic about that concept art! And not to bring it up again, but the “Muslim patch“ could have been better titled too.. Who is marketing this stuff?

Surprised this thread hasn’t been shut down! Is there always such a censorship lock down on unhappy simmers?
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    Can’t wait to see what the best among cc creators will do with the Murphy bed and combined bookshelf tv radio. I’m sure something good will come of this
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member

How do you know it's for DU not for this pack? We've previously been told it takes about 6 months to do a Stuff Pack. This might just as easily have been a practice run with animations for *this* pack.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • ProxibleProxible Posts: 9 New Member
    As far as I understood there will also be combination items. So like a TV that can also be used as a bookcase and a stereo. And tbh that would already make it worth it for me.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    @KaeChan2089 And don't forget the fact knitting is in the DU expansion as one of the ways Sims can deface statues belonging to the rival college. That was revealed in a screenshot before DU was released. So, yeah, the entire voting thing feels off. I resent the fact EA believes we don't notice these details, or know not to believe everything the gurus tell us. This newest stuff pack will be the fourth pack that won't make it on my list of future purchases. There is free CC out there that is so close to what is in this pack, I see no need to buy Tiny Houses at all. And that Murphy Bed? Count on that having a high probability push attached to it so your Sims being killed, maimed, tired the next day, or having a negative moodlet will happen ALL the time. Once in a while would be amusing, but given the way these things are done by the teams, it will need a tuning mod to stop it from becoming a constant annoyance. Just one more way for the game engine to control your game is how I see it.

Tinfoil hat time, but I got similar vibes when Laundry day was released. Like out of all the really cool things that were on offer to vote for (arcade machines and a death pack) and laundry was the thing everyone wanted? I had to call 🐸🐸🐸🐸 on that. Ditto with this latest round, like out of everything that was on offer, arts and crafts/knitting won? I'm highly suspicious as well. (Also kind of annoyed because normal gameplay simmers have been getting a lot of content, which has been leaving those who love occult gameplay in the lurch.)
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Hmm, this is seeming more and more like a "My First University" stuff pack but it's getting less vitriol from the public because they were wise enough to not officially name it that.

At least half the content isn't leashed to another pack entirely. Not that it makes the issue any less glaring.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member

How do you know it's for DU not for this pack? We've previously been told it takes about 6 months to do a Stuff Pack. This might just as easily have been a practice run with animations for *this* pack.

Yes, I am very confused by this specific accusation. I don't see how this is proof that murphy beds were in DU, it's not like they work on one pack at a time. I have a lot to say about this SP and why I think is not the right approach to Tini Living as a concept, but this conclusion makes no sense to me.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited January 2020

The time when Maxis are making content and the time when they choose to release it are different. This is probably because they are finishing things before they plan to release them as packs or as updates.
    For Maxis it seems to be very important for them to provide content regularly and deliver it like a live service. They have a production plan to follow and they will follow it, even if some animations and assets are already done.

The ladders from Island Living are already done and will probably be released later this year, but they will not release it as an update together with Tiny Living because then they would have nothing to release later this year. Same with the Murphy Bed, the bed was probably already done before Discover University...
    Post edited by logion on
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    This is the very first stuff pack I have been exited for. Period. Rant away, I will buy this on release. I am looking way more forward to this than Strangerville.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah would have made more sense for them to have been put into City Living, but no they had to go the use big item route with tiny apartments instead which never made sense. Anyways, I am happy about the Murphy bed death. Do I want bunk beds and ladders in the pack too? Yep. We'll see with time. It is the first time the Murphy bed comes with a couch in this iteration. Tiny Living works both with apartments and dorms and with how many 20 and 30 square foot lots that have been put into the game. Sims 4 is tiny and honestly I think the pack will sell well just because of how big items in the Sims 4 are especially if they do something like make a small telescope or small cupcake machine too. But who knows until we see the livestream what it really has to offer. Also on a side not, I'm happy about the knitting pack and trying to get different forms of knitting into the game besides just the needle method. Anyone is welcomed to share ideas while you can too with SimGuruNinja's and SimGuruSarah's threads because once those are done, don't complain about your voice not being heard when you are being given an opportunity. Also make sure to take the poll about how the Sims 4 is doing that SimGuruFrost posted. Surveys are probably going to be the most effective way to get our voices heard now.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top