Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 and recommended Game Packs (that are worth the money)

Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
Those who know me well in the TS3 side of the forums know my vehement dislike of this version (TS4) outside of CAS and the ability with CC to make some really stunning sims I’m sorry, I really don’t like maxis Clay Hair.

In fact it’s the TS4 users who use CC hairs and skins that are even convincing me to even give TS4 a try.

So far as I can see the only EP outside of the base game is Seasons that would interest me. And perhaps the latest Discover University. Outside of those two expansion packs I see nothing else that sparks this Simmer’s interest. Maybe I’m old and cranky but it doesn’t appear as the rest of the expansion packs deliver me much of anything of interest.

But I’m open to suggestions and reason’s why.
GYZ6Ak9.png
Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~

Comments

• Options
    Coley666Coley666 Posts: 119 Member
    Expansion packs

The Sims 4: Get to Work
    - I love this one because of being able to own your own shop and when you're playing a single sim (quite hard when you're playing a family) it is enjoyable to go to work with them. I have to admit I don't think it's as good a the Sims 3 version. Enjoyability 6/10

The Sims 4: Get Together - I love building and Windenburg has alot of lot placements and I also love the tudor building style. The ability to create groups is also something that can be used quite widely and can be adapted for many other purposes. Enjoyability 9/10

The Sims 4: City Living - I enjoy being able to live out in the city in apartments (despite their restrictions - not as good as previous versions), however, festivals are well worth this expansion pack personally. Enjoyability 9/10

The Sims 4: Cats & Dogs - I love pets so this was a no brainer for me, however, pets can be annoying (walking a dog takes many sim hours and is glitchy. Also, children can't walking them (without a mod). Cats are almost useless. They also take up one of the 8 slots and considering kind of how useless they are it is frustrating but I use it as a form of realism. I don't even like horses but I am gutted they didn't introduce horses after Sims 3. Enjoyability 4/10

The Sims 4: Seasons - Seasons offers a lot to the game play and really helps with the realism of the game. I love the ability to have the holiday calendar. Enjoyability 7/10

The Sims 4: Get Famous - I bought this because I am a sucker and buy them all however I was dissapointed with this one. The neighbourhood is fine but certainly not anywhere near my favourites, and it was quite fun working my up to be a great actress but I felt more could have been offered away from the acting side of being famous. Enjoyability 3/10

The Sims 4: Island Living - I like the neighbourhood but the gameplay does nothing for me. Mermaids are bland and almost useless. Enjoyability - 2/10

The Sims 4: Discover University - It's new and it's glitchy but I do like it. It's annoying how much time it takes to get to class but I did enjoy the uni pack. Enjoyability 6/10

Game packs

The Sims 4: Outdoor Retreat
    - I haven't really used this pack but I like the ability to go on holiday camping and various levels thereafter. Enjoyability 3/10

The Sims 4: Spa Day - This wasn't that exciting for me, particularly as gym, pool, and spa, are all separate lot types and to me you should be able to combine them to make the most of the lots traits. Enjoyability 4/10

The Sims 4: Dine Out - I enjoyed being able to build and run a restaurant but I was annoyed that you couldn't be a chef in your own restaurant. Enjoyability 6/10

The Sims 4: Vampires - Vampires are annoying. Vlad is annoying. However, I loved the neighbourhood, the cas stuff, and the build/buy mode stuff from this pack. Enjoyability 4/10

The Sims 4: Parenthood - If you play legacy or families this is a must. It really adds to the gameplay and makes a huge difference on how you raise your children and what they turn out like. Enjoyability 8/10

The Sims 4: Jungle Adventure - Again useful for the holiday aspect but the journeying through the "maze" was frustrating and stressed out my sim more than it made them enjoy their holiday. Enjoyability 4/10

The Sims 4: StrangerVille - I love the build mode stuff for this pack and the neighbourhood bar the ugly unchangeable lab, literally everything else is awful. Enjoyability 1/10

The Sims 4: Realm of Magic - I love magic and I love this pack. I love being able to play with the cauldron and learn new spells and create a little hideaway witch cottage. Enjoyability 9/10

Stuff packs

The Sims 4: Luxury Party Stuff
    - Content 4/10
    The Sims 4: Perfect Patio Stuff - Content 5/10
    The Sims 4: Cool Kitchen Stuff - Content 6/10
    The Sims 4: Spooky Stuff - Content 4/10
    The Sims 4: Movie Hangout Stuff - Content 7/10
    The Sims 4: Romantic Garden Stuff - Content 7/10
    The Sims 4: Kids Room Stuff - Content 7/10
    The Sims 4: Backyard Stuff - Content 4/10
    The Sims 4: Vintage Glamour Stuff - Content 8/10 (Introduces butler)
    The Sims 4: Bowling Night Stuff - Content 6/10
    The Sims 4: Fitness Stuff - Content 7/10
    The Sims 4: Toddler Stuff - Content 7/10
    The Sims 4: Laundry Day Stuff - Content 7/10
    The Sims 4: My First Pet Stuff - Content 5/10
    The Sims 4: Moschino Stuff - Content 5/10

I use most of my purchases for the build mode/CAS stuff because I don't mind the game style :)
    Sims Builder - Coley666
    jWIA95z.png
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    For me it's the all packs set that makes the game more complete. There are great things about almost all packs, and all together, they make a game full of possibilities. Could it have more, if we think of lost opportunities in several packs? Yes. But focusing on what it has, instead of what it could have, i can say im satisfied.
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    What kind of gameplay do you like? Are you a family player, supernatural, career oriented? Different packs will be better for different simmers.

One pack I will say is an absolute must buy regardless of playstyle is Parenthood. It completely overhauls child raising and actually makes playing with kids matter in the game. Combined with the scouting that came with seasons, it actually made children in this game have something to do.

Expansion pack wise Get Together and City Living are both great packs that add a lot of great CAS and BB as well as features. Get together comes with the prettiest world in the game and city living has festivals that are really fun and great for meeting new sims.

Otherwise it's personal preference, Vampires is one of my favorite packs but it won't be a good value if you don't play supernaturals while Toddler stuff would be great for someone who plays toddlers a lot but not valuable for some usually skips that life state.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    What kind of gameplay do you like? Are you a family player, supernatural, career oriented? Different packs will be better for different simmers.

My Sims 3 play is a lot more oriented towards a narrative story-line. My Sims 4 gameplay would probably end up being in the vein of:

https://youtu.be/vA-28YvCcew

If you’ve ever seen “Gray Still Plays” my sense of humor can run to the sadistic, just like him. ~evil smirk~

Oh and can’t forget Spleens, it’s a wonder that cat can see where she’s going.

3ethpm.png
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    edited January 2020

My Sims 3 play is a lot more oriented towards a narrative story-line.

You might really like the Strangerville Pack as well. It has a mystery to solve and the possessed sims add a lot of humor to the game! It's a pack that people either love or hate but the new military career, paranoid trait, and BB are worth it.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    I don't have a lot of packs, but I think Get To Work, Get Together, and Seasons have a lot of potential for player creativity and can serve as solid foundations as you build up your worlds/stories/playing style.

With Get to Work's retail feature, you can think up basically any type of store you would like to own in the game (and the more packs you add afterwards, the more objects that become available, which means the more kinds of stores you can have). This could help with world building as you can place all kinds of shops in your game.

Get Together's club system allows you to create clubs which allows you to influence which Sims interact with one another, and in what kinds of ways. Again, the more packs you have the more kinds of activities the club members can do. I've read about a variety of clubs from skill-building clubs, to social clubs where people use the club feature to keep families connected with one another, and all kinds of clubs for whatever kind of storytelling the player needs. If you have Bowling SP you can have a bowling club, if you have ROM you can make a coven of witches, if you have Seasons you can make an ice skating club or a gardening club. Whatever you can imagine up.

Aside from the seasons/weather, Seasons also adds a holiday feature which you can edit to make your own holidays, which adds to world building.

I think these three packs specifically added at least one feature that basically allowed for more immersive integration with other packs which makes them more dynamic and allows you more customization in your gameplay.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    In my eyes, Get Together, Cats and Dogs, Seasons, Get Famous, and Discover University are true expansion packs expanding the foundation of the game.

Get Togethers club tool is insanely useful for literally whatever you want to use it for.

Cats and Dogs, cats and dogs I personally believe are the best in the series, many disagree so do your research on that one.

Seasons calendar and holiday creation tool is a game changer. Also the seasons themselves are stunning and have a real impact on progression and daily routines.

Get Famous’ fame system expands literally every career and hobby in the game, it also adds a form of hierarchy into the game. The reputation system also adds another layer of depth to the sims.

Discover University also expands every single career in the game, it’s also just a great opportunity for your sims to build relationships and skills, great for story telling.

Parenthood is the only game pack that expands the foundation of the game, great for story telling and family play.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    @Felicity1169 -I do like the fact that they brought back the military career path in Strangerville, but I have my own ideas for a military story-line.

And I find Mr. Officer in Strangerville looks like he’s the Dictator of a Banana Republic.

I’m hoping those who do CC for TS4 will correct that with other military uniforms

I’ve taken to creating my own in Sims 3.

Screenshot-135.jpgScreenshot-92.jpg
    These are the style of uniforms I’m more used to and I’m hoping someone is working on ones like those in CC.

There’s no nuclear explosions in sims 3 but well...me n’ Photoshop. ~smirk~

Screenshot-127_nuke2.jpg
    That could be an idea for a TS4 world for an expansion or stuff pack. “Dystopian Stuff”. “Dumpster Living” or “Dystopia” - a post-nuclear holocaust world. ☢️

Yeah I’d happily play in something like that in TS4.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    Get Together
    Cats and Dogs
    Discover University
    Parenthood
    Vampires

These are the ones that are 100% worth the money to me
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Heck I don't get any of the packs or EP for what is in them most of the time it is a redo of Sims3 I get them for the content if I think I can use any of the clothes, hair, or furniture etc. I alway check to see what is in the content before I purchase them my favorite is Dine Out that is because it gives the Sims something to do and I love Seasons, Get to Work is also good the rest are just fluff.
  • Options
    JAYSIMMS2004JAYSIMMS2004 Posts: 31 Member
    Expansion Pack wise, definitely get Discover University, Get to Work and Get Famous. City Living really doesn't involve much game play.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll take a closer look into it. When I do, I’ll probably be looking for a mountain of TS4 CC (in addition to the mountain of TS3 CC that I already use on a regular basis). I’ll ask about TS4 CC in the appropriate section of TS4 forum.

...and...

My computer is giving me the middle finger. I’m sure it’s really not going to like me after this considering my 1TB HDD is nearly at 80% capacity.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Well if you don't want to buy to many I suggest Dinning Out fun to pick the food and set up Resturants, Season is a must give so much realism to the Sims 4, Pets if you like them and you get the new Vet career. Go to work is good I think that one has the retail in it and that one is a must. University is boring don't waste your money Island is great gives your Sims a place to Vacation and they can live there as well.