Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Homes in Literature Build Challenge: *CLOSED*

Comments

• GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    SIM ENTRY FORM
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - Challenge #2 with a name Henry
    FORUM ID: Gwiniel
    ORIGIN ID: Gwiniel
    HOUSEHOLD: Henry

ENTRY DETAILS: Looked a movie poster from 1930's starring Gary Cooper and Helen Hayes and took inspiration from there. Lt. Frederic Henry and his pregnant lady Catherine Barkley.

IezxPUJ.jpg5wvD8iq.jpg
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    edited January 2020
    Alpine Chalet is a very beautiful chalet! @Gwiniel :) Very lovely exterior design, pretty flowerbox windows, and very nice wooden walls and balcony! Very nice lake! The terrain work is very great! Very lovely and warm, homely interior colours and furnishings ! The layout is very nice! The floor rugs add a nice touch to the rooms and nice calming wood flooring.
    It is a lovely home! :)
    The Sims are very nice! :) Their outfits are lovely and reflect the era very well!
  • rikaoceanrikaocean Posts: 24 Member
    Love your sims @Gwiniel. Good choice on the period costuming.
    Thank you @rosemow and @rikaocean <3<3<3
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Yay @Taoron I'm happy that I finished my chalet on time. I was a little scared about the terrain stuff, I try to built something in a mountain months ago and it was a little buggy. But now I discovered that the terrain elevation is more stable. I really enjoy testing this house, actually I play it for a few days. Thanks for the challenge! I want to see which book is next!

ENTRY FORM
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - Challenge #2 Small Wooden Swiss House - 'A Farewell to Arms'
    FORUM ID: emere
    ORIGIN ID: osiazul
    NEW LOT LINK: The Lake Retreat
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW: Here
    ENTRY DETAILS: I found some pictures from "old chalets" with wood and stone, some of them were even 3 stories buildings. I like to play with my buildings so I keep them functional, I avoid the duplex idea (I'm not good playing with different families at the same lot). Sorry for placing a PC and a TV at the chalet :s but my sims need both. I do not feel my decor is accurate with the era, but I keep it simple and cozy. I built a small shelter and a deck at the lake to represent how the characters enjoy sailing at the lake (oh, we need little boats for this game lol).
    CREDITS: none
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:

F9aUZE9.png
    NL86ZGw.png
    The Lake Retreat is a lovely chalet build! @emere :) Very great layout of the build, and the landscaping and terrain work is lovely! Very nice lake! The gardening plants shelter, outdoors dining, grill and bar deck is very nice! Great fruit trees and bee hives area! Very lovely exterior design of the chalet! Very nice wooden walls and pretty flowerbox windows! The interior furnishings and layout are very nice! Very lovely warm and homely colours, wall textures, and furnishings.Very nice open plan layout of the living areas. Very nice fireplace dining area for Sims to enjoy eating meals near the fire.
    It is a very lovely home! :)
    Gorgeous entry @emere <3<3<3
  • wendyologywendyology Posts: 395 Member
    Hurrah! I made it before the deadline.

My Swiss chalet consists of a pair of two bedroom apartments. The floorpans are identical, but each apartment is set up in a slightly different way.

BUILD ENTRY FORM
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - 2 A Farewell to Arms
    FORUM ID:Wendyology
    ORIGIN ID:Wendyology
    NEW LOT LINK: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/DA773118356311EA8BDDA2238314F86D
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW:https://imgur.com/a/hU7qjUO
    ENTRY DETAILS: The lower apartment is a bit more luxurious but lived in. A reference picture showed cauldron in a kitchen so I decided to run with it and also add a magical bookshelf. The upstairs apartment is set up for a young family.

The downstairs apartment:

G55P7zQ.png

Upstairs:
    xsSsVYb.png
    edited January 2020
    Very lovely chalet! @wendyology :) Very nice exterior design, pretty flowerbox windows, and the interior layout and furnishings are very lovely! It is very nice that you have designed the build to have two apartments with the same floor plans but furnished differently. The layout is very nice! Very lovely curtains, floor rugs and wall patterning in each of the apartments rooms! The colour schemes are very nice, The cauldron is great in the kitchen of the downstairs apartment! Sims will enjoy using it to both cook in and make potions,
    It is a very nice chalet home! :)
  • TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member
    edited January 2020
    You know, I think this was the longest month, in the history of man. I've been dying to come in there and go through all of your amazing builds, for what seems like years! Now, it's 30 minutes before the deadline, and I can't stand it any more.

@AliSim19 First off, just the initial pictures of the exterior and the landscaping, when I first saw it, left me speechless. I don't think you could have chisen a nice spot, with the Swiss and Italian Alps in the background (let's pretend that's what that is). The landscaping, with the path and stairs leading up to the house, broken up in tiers, with those amazing flowers at each step, is simply stunning. Your lake with the waterfall just looks so cool, refreshing and peaceful, on that lot. The exterior of the home, as a quasi-A-Frame, and the choice of colorr..in that light....whatever it is, just looks so perfect.

The interior of the home has clutter, but everything has been done with such a wonderfully delicate hand, that it doesn't feel like clutter. Things are placed where they are supposed to be. I love all of the little nooks and crannies from the painting corner, to the sitting room with the red chairs. Thank you for showing pictures, as well, in winter. It gives the build a completely differnt look and it's just as wonderful. Thank you for entering the challenge this month. Truly a joy to look at and experience. ♥

@mannanna Looking at the initial pictures, I love the traditional Chalet look with the little splashes of color in the windows and doors. The stone lower level is a really nice touch. Great use of that particular lot with the lake and hill. It gives your build such a huge area in the feel of it, with some of those initial pictures, in your slideshow. LOL I just saw the caution sign. 'Beware, you will hurt your bum, if you slip and fall!'. Love it.

I really like that your exterior color choices followed you into the interior. Lovely furniture. A lot of the colors and patterns you chose, really look old....classic, which really adds to the feel I was looking for. I love that Catherine made use of things that the last tennant had left behind. Very clever. Great use of their Simself pictures to hang on the wall of their bedroom! Awww....and the bassinet. =( Now I'm sad. Your build really walked me through those chapters of the book. You caused me to have feels with some of those things. Great job. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this challenge. I hope to see your presence in future challenges. Very well done.

HI @rikaocean and Welcome! So happy to see new faces here!

Great consideration on 1917 plumbing! I had not even thought of that. Way to think outside the box and bring some reality into your build! I love it. I really like the exterior of your build and thrilled that it caused you to get a feel of using terrain tools! That's awesome! The lot looks great in the snow. All of the trees really make it feel like they are alone in the mountains and not in the middle of an established town. Perfect, as they were away from town and he didn't want to get found out and conscripted back into the Italian Army. They were literally in hiding, at this point.

The interior of the home is very rustic and well planned. (Another awwww moment with the bassinet)

*Note: Be wary when taking pics in free camera, of pulling back to far, as it can cause distorted looking pictures. I had that problem myself, when I first found it. I was always taking pictures that looked all fish eye lens or like I was viewing them from a peephole in a door. Great build though and I'm thrilled that you entered this Month. I really look forward to seeing more of your builds!

@Gwiniel Absolutely. The style and color of the home are perfect! The landscaping and the lake are wonderful! You did a fantastic job. Your Sims of them are wonderful. I love the way they look. The clothing choices are perfect! I just wish there were more pictures of the interior and exterior of the lot and the home. Thank you, so much, for entering this month! ♥

@emere Yay indeed! I'm so happy you were able to participate! Initial viewing of you home, my first thought it "what a wonderful little Gingerbread House!" I love the color choice and the little nuances in the trim and decor, really make it all stand out. Very nice landscaping (also thrilled that people were able to get more into landscaping and terrain tools with this build)

Your interior os very cozy. No worries about the electronics. I think J.J. Abrahams is doing a remake and I'm sure there will be a time differential shift in his version. He never does that. :P It really is a nice and cozy interior and I'm thrilled that you were able to enter this month's challenge! ♥

Yay @wendyology !!!! I'm glad you made it, too!!! Great pick for lot choice, being on the water, with a nice slope downward from the house. The home its;ef looks very nice, from the views I have of it. I wish I could have seen more of the exterior. Very clever design of the lower level, for the older couple downstairs. Your color choices are very nice. The upstairs is nice and spacious and again, I felt pands, when I saw the bassinet and the room for the child. Y'all are trying to kill me. :p

I'm so happy you were able to enter this month's challenge. Thank you!

Thank you all for entering this Month's Challenge! You are all so talented and it was a thrill to be able to look over all of your builds! I hope to see you all for the next challenge, which I will be posting shortly.

“And you'll always love me won't you?
    Yes
    And the rain won't make any difference?
    No”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

The Homes in Literature Build Challenge #3: 'On the Banks of Plum Creek' Laura Elizabeth Ingalls Wilder

This is the Fourth Book in the 'Little House' books, and the one we all know and love, from the television series, taking place on the plains of the Midwest United States, near Walnut Grove, Minnesota.

Here, the family takes up a homestead, Charles sells his horses for the land and crops and starts a new farm.

Lot Challenge: Please design and build a small, non-specific, dirt farmer's homestead, on the plains of Minnesota, in the late 1800s. (1875-1877) I would like to see a bedroom for the parents. If you choose to make a younger (Toddler) child, please make a space in the Parent's bedroom for that child. I would also like a loft, for any older children (Child - Teen) It is a small, cramped, wood home, build by hand, with local lumber (trees).

I would like to see a small creek running behind the home, where the older child/children can go fishing.

There should also be a barn on the lot, for the storage of grain, hay and horses. *If you want to be extra adventurous and earn my ever lasting adoration, you can also build me a buckboard wagon.

Most of the lot should be farmland. Please pick a crop to grow, for Pa to make a living. (They grew wheat, but you can grow whatever you please)

*You do not have to create the house from the show. Be creative.
    *Remember, being a Farmstead, you may want to choose a larger lot. No one ever fed a family on 4 tomato plants.

Room Challenge: Please recreate the meager living area in the home, which consists of a fireplace for cooking, a small table to eat, gather and pray as a family and maybe a couple of extra chairs to sit in.

Sims Challenge: Please create a Farmsteading, poor family of the time period and location, consisting of a Father, Mother, at least 2 Children ranging from Toddler to Teen and a dog.

*You are more than welcome to model them after the Television Family, but the more distinctly different families, the better.

Google is your friend. Different searches will yeild quite a bit of information on this novel, as well as the TV Show. The two older Girls, at this poiint, are going to School for the first time. The Family are also members of the local Church.

I look forward to seeing your creations!

Please use the whole of hashtag #LiteraryBuildChallenge3 when you upload your creations. Any build, room or household without this hashtag will not be considered for Maxis Fave nomination.

The deadline for this challenge is Wednesday, February 12th , 2020 ** [no later than 23:59:59 EDT/New York Time]

BUILD ENTRY FORM
    Midwestern Homestead in the Late 1800s - 'On the Banks of Plum Creek'

BUILD ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and House Name)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    NEW LOT LINK: (Link to where your build can be found on The Gallery)
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW:
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry. Please inclue Links to other resources you may have found)
    CREDITS: (Please Tag Art Creators whose art you used, if any)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two please)

ROOM ENTRY FORM
    Family Living Space - Farming Homestead 'On the Banks of Plum Creek'

ROOM ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and House Name)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    ROOM: (Link to where the room can be found with on The Gallery)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (Please create a seperate Slideshow for the Room, from your Home Emtry)
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry)
    CREDITS: (Please Tag Art Creators whose art you used, if any)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)

SIMS ENTRY FORM
    Father, Mother, at least 2 children and a dog- 'On the Banks of Plum Creek'

SIM ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and Family Name)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    HOUSEHOLD: (Link to where the household can be found with on The Gallery)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (Please create a seperate slideshow of the family, from the Home or Room Slideshows)
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)
  • AliSim19AliSim19 Posts: 443 Member
    @Taoron Thank you so much for your lovely review, you have such a great way with words! I did the building in Granite Falls so everything was designed for that area & it's lighting, I'm so pleased that you think it worked <3 I kind of wish now that I'd persevered in trying to find a way to take non-disastrous screenshots on that lot because I did love my building time there, it's just so pretty :) It was a great challenge idea, thank you again ♥

@rikaocean @Gwiniel @emere & @wendyology You each did such excellent entries! Part of my new years resolution was to spend less time attached to a screen so I've not been looking as closely at other builds or leaving messages.....and now I realise I really miss my time seeing other great builds in detail (maybe I need to rethink my time allocation!). You've all made me smile with your different creative builds this morning, so thank you ♥
  • AliSim19AliSim19 Posts: 443 Member
    @Taoron Ohhh!!! Again you've just brought memories flooding back - I read every single one of those books back to back when I was about 10 and had totally forgotten about them until you put this challenge up! I remember driving my mum mad by asking to be taken back to the library every few days to get the next one....in the end she got the remaining 4 on her card because she could take out more books than me lol. Books really are wonderful aren't they?? I'm fairly certain that the image in my head won't translate to Sims, but I'll enjoy giving it a try :)
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,032 Member
    I love the Little House on the Prairie books and television show B)<3! I've read the series several times --- even with my husband B)! This is an awesome pick @Taoron B)!
    4kkjdXo.png

edited January 2020
    Wonderful new challenge <3<3<3 And thank you very much for all those beautiful reviews you gave us all! If you want more pics, you have to teach me how to make those "slideshows" :D

I've only seen the TV series and loved it very much as I was growing up. Need to stop at the library tomorrow after therapy and see, if they have the books!

Edit: Not sure can I participate in this one, however. I might have my surgery as it's most likely at the end of January or the beginning of February unless something is delaying it further.
  • AIRIS6962AIRIS6962 Posts: 5,611 Member

I love this new one! <3 I was watching it today on tv. I´ve not watched it since I was a child.
    I will try to enter.
    Oh @Gwiniel sweetie, I wish you the best of luck with your surgery and a speedy recovery. Sending my best wishes to you and many hugs :kissing_heart:
    edited January 2020
    I had two choices, in my head, for the direction I wanted to go with this one, and I'm so pleased that I went the right way. I figured this one would bring back some kind memories, for all.

@Gwiniel My pleasure. I'll get with you about the slideshow thingy. I too, hope your surgery goes well and that they finally get to the bottom of the issues and make you gooder. ♥
    Post edited by Taoron on
  • wendyologywendyology Posts: 395 Member
    @Taoron The swiss chalet challenge was so much fun. I look forward to working on this one.
  • rikaoceanrikaocean Posts: 24 Member
    Thank you all for the wonderful comments on my build. There are so many talented people with beautiful builds and I enjoyed looking at everybody's builds. Now on to the next one: I love Laura Ingalls Wilder! I read the books, watched to show, I even had my own sunbonnet in honor of Laura. Can't wait to start on the new build.
    rikaocean wrote: »
    Thank you all for the wonderful comments on my build. There are so many talented people with beautiful builds and I enjoyed looking at everybody's builds. Now on to the next one: I love Laura Ingalls Wilder! I read the books, watched to show, I even had my own sunbonnet in honor of Laura. Can't wait to start on the new build.

Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing it! ♥
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Thanks @rosemow @Gwiniel @AliSim19 for your comments o:)

Awesome houses everyone, we can change any neighborhood into another world with all of them! All of them are great for Granite Falls.

@Taoron all your reviews are really enjoyable. Beautiful last quote :'( Thanks for the challenge!

About the new challenge I have mixed feelings: for so many reasons I am touched by that book, but also I built that house almost 4 years ago. It is a little house inspired in the tv show, you can see it here: ...on the Prairie I played it until I lost that save :( It was my first save and my PC broke (long story).

Well maybe it is a good idea to try building a new house from zero after so many years, and as you say "not inspired in the tv show" ;)

Thank you @emere I was looking for some nice parting words and that little conversation struck me. His writing of her was so interesting...so different. Almost a feel that she was a little crazy, a little ditsy, maybe, but, really not, at the same time. Sometimes, almost like cat playing with a mouse before the kill. Great character. I wept at the end of that book.

BUILD ENTRY FORM

LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - Literature Build Challenge #3: 'On the Banks of Plum Creek' Laura Elizabeth Ingalls Wilder
    FORUM ID: AIRIS6962
    ORIGIN ID: Airis6962
    NEW LOT LINK: La Casa De La Pradera
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/FkP20nU
    ENTRY DETAILS: This is my version for Sims4 of Little House On The Prairie. NoCC. MOO. Play Tested. You don´t need to enable moveobjects before placing, but you can if you want.
    CREDITS: Beautiful Wall Art by #roseymow ( @rosemow ) ♥
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:

dZ6t4ti.png

yUyeiM5.png
    La Casa de la Pradera is a very lovely home ! @AIRIS6962 :) You have reflected the home from the show so very well! It looks just like it! Very nice weathered wall texture. The outdoors areas are very great! The wagon, horses, water trough, outdoors laundry area and fishing pond are very great! Very nice gardening patch! The barn and the animal pen with the pigs, rooster, chickens, cat and bunnies is very great! Sims will enjoy doing woodworking on the crafting table, Very lovely and homely furnishing of the interior! The wooden texture of the walls and the furnishings looks great and suits the build very well! Very lovely bedrooms! The floral wreaths are pretty on the walls! The fireplace dining area is very nice! Thankyou very much for using my art! <3
    It is a very lovely homely home! :)

Aaaww you´re so sweet, my dear @rosemow ! <3
    Thank you so much for your delicious comments and for all those awesome Art Work that you create for us!
    I always can find the perfect ones for my buildings into your gallery.

I really enjoyed much making this, so thank you so much as well to @Taoron for all that fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top