Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's a good laptop to run sims 4 and ALL expansions?

So my very old laptop won't play sims anymore since I installed Discover University. I really just need a new laptop because this one is on its last legs.

I'm not technical at all and have tried to look but I don't even know where to start. I'd just like some of examples of laptops that run it all smoothly without issues. Thanks!

Comments

• thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    Probably not a laptop at all unless you're looking to spend like 3k for a gaming laptop.

Most laptops nowadays aren't really helpful for gaming beyond some browser games, at least the ones that are affordable. You're better off putting 1.2k into a mid-level gaming desktop than buying an expensive laptop that'll get 'old' in two years.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I have an ASUS ROG Strix GL753VD 17.3" Gaming Laptop GTX 1050 (it’s an older model now, there are newer ones). I use a wireless mouse and headphones with it and it works perfectly. I have all the packs installed, a ton of CC, and graphics set to ultra, still runs smooth with only a few seconds for loading screens. It’s the second Asus I’ve owned for gaming and I absolutely recommend them!
  • Teena94Teena94 Posts: 65 Member
    thecatsred wrote: »
    Probably not a laptop at all unless you're looking to spend like 3k for a gaming laptop.

Most laptops nowadays aren't really helpful for gaming beyond some browser games, at least the ones that are affordable. You're better off putting 1.2k into a mid-level gaming desktop than buying an expensive laptop that'll get 'old' in two years.

I feel you but unfortunately I have a lot of health issues and need to spend a lot of time resting in bed, so a desktop isn't an option for me :(
  • Teena94Teena94 Posts: 65 Member
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    I have an ASUS ROG Strix GL753VD 17.3" Gaming Laptop GTX 1050 (it’s an older model now, there are newer ones). I use a wireless mouse and headphones with it and it works perfectly. I have all the packs installed, a ton of CC, and graphics set to ultra, still runs smooth with only a few seconds for loading screens. It’s the second Asus I’ve owned for gaming and I absolutely recommend them!

Thanks I'll look into it :D
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    @Teena94 You don't need to spend 3K to get a laptop that will run the game well.

Here's the specs to look for:

i5 or i7 (no, U processors). Also, Ryzen processors are good ones, so a Ryzen 5 or 7 (again, no U processors)

8GB RAM would be fine, but personally, I'd make sure it has at least 16GB RAM.

If it has an SSD, make sure it is at least 500GB SSD (preferably with a 1TB HDD) or you can opt for just an 1TB or larger HDD.

And you want at least a GTX 1050 (or better) graphic card, again, AMD RX560 or better will do, too.

You can expect to spend about $700 US and up for these specs (depending on sales and location).

These are just a guideline and will support the game, with all packs and mods and cc.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I recomend the HP Desktop computer with Windows 10. Laptops aren't too good for gaming. I made that mistake once. I bought a laptop for myself & one for my daughter for playing PC games. The Laptops couldn't handle the updates. I got my HP Desktop back in early 2014 & I'm still using it & playing on it to this day. And all I had to do was upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10. I also helped my daughter get her Desktop when her laptop died.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    You don't need a 3k laptop to run this game. I have a new computer now, but my 3 year old laptop can run Sims 4 with all the expansions and a bunch of CC on high settings without issue. It was a high-end laptop when I got it, but that was in 2016.

Just get a laptop with an SSD, an i7 processor, 16gb ram and a dedicated graphics card. Any of the new "gaming" laptops will also work, but they can be very expensive.
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    My laptop is a Samsung Expert X40 (not expensive at all) and it runs The Sims with all the packs on high settings. I don't use mods or CC so I don't know how those would work, but so far I've had no issues with The Sims or any other games (I've been playing Far Cry 5 as well).
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    I don't get the people who dis running sims on a laptop. I have run sims on a laptop since forever. I usually spend about $1,500 Canadian for a decent laptop. And yes there are gaming laptops out there, but once you put that name on it the price jumps.
    @Kita5399 gave you a good option and @ChelleJo gave more good advice. spend the money on ram 16 at least, personally i7 is the better processor. Watch the SSD and hard drive. (for some reason default downloads go to the SSD drive with your windows and it's a pain to fix) You might be better off just to get the largest hard drive you can afford and don't worry about the SSD drive.
    If you can have someone take the bloatware that comes on new computers off - that is even better.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • xMarianxxMarianx Posts: 74 Member
    edited January 2020
    I have a Toshiba laptop, 17.3" screen. I don’t remember all the specs, but it’s not a gaming laptop.
    It costed me 10.000 Norwegian kroner (~$1000?) when I bought it in 2015.
    I’m pretty sure it’s 8 GB RAM, 1TB hard drive and an Intel Core processor, I don’t remember if it’s 5 or 7.

It runs Sims 4 without problems, and I have almost every pack, except My First Pet Stuff and Moschino Stuff. I don’t use mods or cc.

Edit: Found the specs!

Toshiba Satelite P70-B
    Processor: i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
    RAM: 8GB
    1TB HDD
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600 (GPU0) & AMD Radeon R9 M265X (GPU1)
    Post edited by xMarianx on
  • SarahLainaSarahLaina Posts: 36 Member
    So I'm thinking about getting this refurbished laptop. It's windows 10. I wanna know if I can run sims 4 well on it. I am planning on getting some cc, but only like 1 or 2 gigs of it. I also have 8 mods in mind that I want. Here are the details...

Processor model: Intel 5th generation core i5-5300U

Graphics: Intel HD graphics

Storage: 480 GB

Memory: 8 GB

Also is it good for all the packs??
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    SarahLaina wrote: »
    So I'm thinking about getting this refurbished laptop. It's windows 10. I wanna know if I can run sims 4 well on it. I am planning on getting some cc, but only like 1 or 2 gigs of it. I also have 8 mods in mind that I want. Here are the details...

Processor model: Intel 5th generation core i5-5300U

Graphics: Intel HD graphics

Storage: 480 GB

Memory: 8 GB

Also is it good for all the packs??

No.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I know this is old but I feel like the first commenter hasn't used a laptop since like 2007, even trashy ones can run this game. Pretty much any modern laptop can run this game and any gaming laptop 700+ should be able to run this game from high-ultra with all packs easily.
  • cornflake88cornflake88 Posts: 368 Member
    I have a 4 year old HP Omen laptop. I can easily run sims 4 with all packs installed on high ultra settings. I can also run sims 3 on it too with no issues.
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,075 Member
    If space is an issue you could try a mini gaming PC. They use components like gaming laptops do and they’re smaller than a PS5.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    My mid-2015 MacBook Pro does a great job with all the packs and crazy amounts of cc.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    uD7dqgB.jpg
    This is my laptop info hope helping anyone figure out familiar doubt.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy