Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The sims 5 timeline

candybootcandyboot Posts: 129 Member
I would personally love if the sims 5 occurred during the same time as the sims 2. Anyone else?

Also, have the same storylines as the sims 2.
Post edited by candyboot on

Comments

• Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    I'd prefer it if Sims 5 occured in a different time and had different storylines from the other Sims games. Keep Sims 2 storylines in Sims 2, and let Sims 5 be something new and unique.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I will chose my timeline. My Sims do seem to be stuck in the late 90s/ early 2000s though.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,227 Member
    edited December 2019
    Should Bella Goth be young forever like Princess Peach and Lara Croft ???
    Isn't The Sims a life simulator ???

20 years later, maybe it's time to let the next generations shine like Boruto anime.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Personally, I want TS5 to be its own timeline. I want it to be it's own version.

New Sims, new stories, etc..
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,020 Member
    I'd prefer it if Sims 5 occured in a different time and had different storylines from the other Sims games. Keep Sims 2 storylines in Sims 2, and let Sims 5 be something new and unique.
    I feel like going with the original continuity would be the best compromise. Sims 2 and 3 brought a lot of old sims back and developed their stories, but each expansion brought new faces and stories to tell. And given how following narratives and such is usually optional, you can treat the old characters as AU versions and mess them up.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I want it to either be a different timeline or in The Sims 4 timeline. 1, 2, and 3 are already one timeline. 4 is a completely new one, so there is some room to add a new game to it, but a new one would be preferred.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    I understand timelines in rpg’s and other games with actual lore, but I’ve always felt a timeline for this franchise never made sense because every player does their own thing anyway. It’s truly a sandbox, so I’d rather end the timeline thing with this game and have TS5 be its own.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,354 Member
    This idea of continuing the timeline from a previous version of the sims (be it 2/3 or 4) reminds me of metaplots from Shadowrun and Vampire and similar TTRPG's.

It's a great idea, until you decide to go somewhere that the metaplot doesn't go. Then everything after that is progressively less useful to you until you may as well not buy them at all, because you've diverged from the metaplot so much.

I mean, it's not quite like that, but the idea is still there.

Don't get me wrong, I like lore, and I love backstories. But that's a starting point. After that I like to tell my own stories.

I mean, obviously I'd have to adjust to a new time line whether or not they kept the same timeline, because either it would be a whole new timeline, or else there's a very good chance that the stories I told with Sims 4 won't match up to whatever they choose for Sims 5. I just think it would be "cleaner" if it was a whole new timeline.
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    I kind of just want them to do away with the pretense of timelines. Lore is good but you can do that without connecting each series. Look at how excited people were to have the Pleasants back even though the series does nothing to tie them to previous games, we just know who they are and are happy to see them.
    The timelines never really connected very well anyway, there were huge plotholes people filled in and fixed with their own imaginations.
    I'd rather they focus on features and the player being able to customize their game. Cause I really wanna do some time period related games and TS4 makes it virtually impossible unless you're really good at pretending all the modern stuff isnt there.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I never paid attention to the timelines - I just play whatever I want for each iteration. But I don't mind them either. I like that there is some lore or story there. Plus the lore/back-stories are never so intrusive.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I think I want new Sims but also old ones that were interesting because in Sims 4 no new family really stood out to me only the Landgraab and they are an old family. Also the back stories of the new family were all over the place and not completed.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    TS5 needs a big graveyard with all the ghosts of past Sims. If a timeline should be done, that's what I want. And any premade the great, great, grandson or daughter of the Goths, the Pleasants etc. But all the dead need to be in one big community graveyard. The hauntings could be of those past Sims like when the great, great or even greater grandson of Mortimer inherits the Goth house. But wait Mortimer didn't really have any money, the house had belonged to Bella's family so maybe it's why he haunts the place. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,227 Member
    edited January 2020
    Pleasantview doesn't exist anymore and Malcolm Landgraab exist since SimCity 3000 (1999).

Maybe it's time to move forward with new families.

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I don't want the Sims 5 to be involved in the Sims 4 oddly constructed time line that just came off as a cop out for the excuse of new workers not knowing the Sims premades anymore. I would like something like 100 years in the future for the Sims 5 from when the Sims 2 storyline took off from. Then again going 500 years in the past would be interesting too and a breath of fresh air.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,853 Member
    I'd like to see all new characters in the next version. I always recreate my favorites anyway.
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    I would like to see new characters as well. But, I think it would be fun to take the sims from S2 and S3 make them elders and their grandchildren be the highlight.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    if i had a choice i would chose to play the sims5 continuing the sims4 time line with the premades from sims1 sims2 sims3 and sims4
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Should Bella Goth be young forever like Princess Peach and Lara Croft ???
    Isn't The Sims a life simulator ???

20 years later, maybe it's time to let the next generations shine like Boruto anime.

Off topic but I love your picture.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    My main hope for TS5 is story progression. What’s the point of lore or writing out each family’s story if nothing happens?
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    These old characters died a long time ago in my game. I'm not playing them again, it won't fit in with my story.
  • SpiddermouseSpiddermouse Posts: 23 Member
    > @AquaGamer1212 said:
    > My main hope for TS5 is story progression. What’s the point of lore or writing out each family’s story if nothing happens?

I totally agree! It was so disappointing that there are no memories in the sims 4. Also I feel the sims in ts4 lack personality compared to the sims 2 and 3. a sandbox game is nice but I feel they have taken it too far. I really would like my sims to be more unique in character not just looks. What I do love about the sims 4 is the build aspect. That is what keeps me playing the sims 4 right now and I hope that ts5 will at least keep that quality and even improve on that.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member

I agree and I would love for them to learn their lessons from the mistakes make in Sims 4 as well as progressing the good things too like Build Mode and CAS. Make it where I don't feel I have to use mods and CC to make the game interesting.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • EnigmaOFFCEnigmaOFFC Posts: 58 Member
    > @DaWaterRat said:
    > This idea of continuing the timeline from a previous version of the sims (be it 2/3 or 4) reminds me of metaplots from Shadowrun and Vampire and similar TTRPG's.
    >
    > It's a great idea, until you decide to go somewhere that the metaplot doesn't go. Then everything after that is progressively less useful to you until you may as well not buy them at all, because you've diverged from the metaplot so much.
    >
    > I mean, it's not quite like that, but the idea is still there.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, I like lore, and I love backstories. But that's a starting point. After that I like to tell my own stories.
    >
    > I mean, obviously I'd have to adjust to a new time line whether or not they kept the same timeline, because either it would be a whole new timeline, or else there's a very good chance that the stories I told with Sims 4 won't match up to whatever they choose for Sims 5. I just think it would be "cleaner" if it was a whole new timeline.

@DaWaterRat I don't understand your point. Might as well keep the regular timeline, as both alternate/regular will not fit how you've played the game. Youre forgetting that lore/canon are a thing that people enjoy, and you can act as if you used timetravel to see past events and change them to see new outcomes, but always having a mainline. I, myself, like to play Sunset Valley leading up to Sims 1 and fro mthere leading up to SIms 2.

To me Sims 5 should be set exactly in Sims 2 timestamp, with the classic neighborhoods like Pleasantview, Veronaville, Strangetown and even the Life/Pet/Castaway Storeis remade. But released between new ones telling us what happened to the likes of the Pancakes, Straud, Harris, etc... then SIms 6 could continue 25 years after that Sims 2/5 timestamp.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,354 Member
    EnigmaOFFC wrote: »
    > @DaWaterRat said:
    > This idea of continuing the timeline from a previous version of the sims (be it 2/3 or 4) reminds me of metaplots from Shadowrun and Vampire and similar TTRPG's.
    >
    > It's a great idea, until you decide to go somewhere that the metaplot doesn't go. Then everything after that is progressively less useful to you until you may as well not buy them at all, because you've diverged from the metaplot so much.
    >
    > I mean, it's not quite like that, but the idea is still there.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, I like lore, and I love backstories. But that's a starting point. After that I like to tell my own stories.
    >
    > I mean, obviously I'd have to adjust to a new time line whether or not they kept the same timeline, because either it would be a whole new timeline, or else there's a very good chance that the stories I told with Sims 4 won't match up to whatever they choose for Sims 5. I just think it would be "cleaner" if it was a whole new timeline.

@DaWaterRat I don't understand your point. Might as well keep the regular timeline, as both alternate/regular will not fit how you've played the game. Youre forgetting that lore/canon are a thing that people enjoy, and you can act as if you used timetravel to see past events and change them to see new outcomes, but always having a mainline. I, myself, like to play Sunset Valley leading up to Sims 1 and fro mthere leading up to SIms 2.

To me Sims 5 should be set exactly in Sims 2 timestamp, with the classic neighborhoods like Pleasantview, Veronaville, Strangetown and even the Life/Pet/Castaway Storeis remade. But released between new ones telling us what happened to the likes of the Pancakes, Straud, Harris, etc... then SIms 6 could continue 25 years after that Sims 2/5 timestamp.

Okay, I'm going to assume you don't play a lot of Table Top RPG's. Especially not ones that have been reset a few times with new editions.

I have. And I've seen both the mess made when games with Metaplot (where each sourcebook advances the storyline) try to switch up the rules midstream (World of Darkness, Exalted, Shadowrun) and the confusion and irritation when they've gone clean slate and reset everything (Exalted 3rd ed, World of Darkness to Chronicles of Darkness, 7th Sea)

And I still feel that the Reset is cleaner.

Now, I'm not discounting lore. I've bought libraries worth of books to expand on the lore and backstories of NPC's and places in tabletop Roleplaying games. I love lore. I love canon - sometimes. I have more experience with it than any Sims player has with the Sims. By virtue of starting to play TTRPG's 15 years before The Sims existed, but still. But there are times when trying to expand the timeline and follow up just makes things more convoluted, harder to follow, and causes all sorts of continuity snarls, and the best way to straighten it all out is just to start over.
  • EnigmaOFFCEnigmaOFFC Posts: 58 Member
    @DaWaterRat Oh, but The Sims isn't the same thing. It has lore, but not "book" sized information and it leaves a lot of open doors for change. The msot information we used to get was sim description, family description, town description and memories. Besides the household/family description, there's none of the others in Sims 4 (we have memories, but not in premade sims).
    Take Sunset Valley for instance... We know Bella and Mortimer where there as kids, then in Sims 1 they turned into adults and had a girl named Cassandra, which then grow up to be an adult living with her father, her younger brother who was born while she was a teen and their mother had disappeared. There's not much here that can messed up by a change of "rules". Which, by the case, happened in all games... The biggest rules and the only meaningful one we had were age lenghts, that were changed in all games, we had a lot of new life stages and all of that.
    The game lore is detailed but subtle. They could've made Sims 4 as a follow up to Sims 2 with a single mother Cassandra Lothario and her kid trying to find out what happened to Don Lothario (which we know was sent back to the past by some of his many lovers... most likely Dina and Nina). Then in Sims 6 we could see a new storyline for Don and Cassandra's kid and maybe Alex and Cecilia's kid.
    Its just human life with a bit of science fiction/fantasy here and there. Like, if they had introduced Journey to Batuu in Sims 2/3 they could jsut ignore its existence in later games.
    The SIms franchise doesn't need reboots.
    They jsut thought we would be mad if they didn't add Bella and Mortimer to the base game, but I don't need them. Nobody was mad that Bob and Betty had died and weren't playable in Sims 2. They just died of old age.
    I think the only thing they have to worry is taking a premade sim out of character, like they did to the Caliente/Lothario and Dustin Broke in SIms 4. All of the others are pretty ok... maybe Lilith didn't need to me evil/mean, but meh... ok... maybe she turned into a bitter woman after her parents divorced or something.