Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why is it called Try for Baby?

Why is the option to have a baby a called "try for baby"? I never understand cause so far, every pregnancy in the game had been successful. Never once did "try for baby" fail. I don't know if there's a way to fail it or for the pregnancy to fail while the mom sim is bearing. I think maybe it should be renamed "woohoo for baby" since every "try" is a success.

Please don't be mean to me cause this post. I play the game vanilla style, and only still on my first family so far. But I gotten 5 kids successfully from "try for baby" building the family. So I guess the option's name amuses me. Please be kind.

Comments

• Options
    SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    There is a tiny percentage it can fail, especially if the mother is adult.
  • Options
    AnitalifegurlAnitalifegurl Posts: 281 Member
    Simsandra wrote: »
    There is a tiny percentage it can fail, especially if the mother is adult.

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought there wasn't any chance since it's been so successful. But to be fair, both parents in the current family were young adults at the time of the pregnancies. So that's possibly why I had more success cause they weren't adults yet. Thank you for informing me about that. Have a wonderful day/night! :smiley:
  • Options
    You're welcome 😊

If the mother is an adult, it sometimes takes me 5 tries to get her pregnant, also she gets a sad moodlet from it. I only had it once for a young adult whatsoever.

Thanks, you have a wonderful time too :)
  • Options
    You're welcome 😊

If the mother is an adult, it sometimes takes me 5 tries to get her pregnant, also she gets a sad moodlet from it. I only had it once for a young adult whatsoever.

Thanks, you have a wonderful time too :)

I don't know, maybe my couple was just lucky for 5 successful pregnancies while being young adults. Then again, I was kind of addicted to making a BIG family XD so they have 5 kids. I had to stop myself after their 5th kid and try to raise the family lol. So I never had them try as adults cause I decided to stop before they became adults. And the whole Expecting-Mama-Sim-can't-age-while-pregnant thing possibly delayed the mom from aging closer to her husband's XD

That's interesting that would be included. I mean that kind of thing DOES happen in life, so why can't it happen in Sims too. But from the success rate that young adults seem to have I didn't think it would be possible to fail it.

So can pregnancy kill an elder?

You're welcome :smile: I am having a good time too! :smiley:
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited January 2020
    My sims have definitely had a pregnancy attempt fail now and then.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options

Aw I'm so sorry to hear that. Maybe it'll improve as time goes on? And it'll become less of the norm. Thanks for commenting.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm just adding that I've had some pregnancy fails, actually more of them recently. Actually, I think I had a YA who had a pregnancy fail recently during her first attempt. I agree that they help things to be less predictable.

I don't play with mods so sometimes I randomly click that button. I've created a few less expected children in that way. I don't do it when I'm not playing the potential mother because so far, I follow the various kids in my game through the rotation. I guess that's a bit like the 100 baby challenge but less structured. I just have a bunch of households so I've probably done that challenge without trying.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    I'm just adding that I've had some pregnancy fails, actually more of them recently. Actually, I think I had a YA who had a pregnancy fail recently during her first attempt. I agree that they help things to be less predictable.

I don't play with mods so sometimes I randomly click that button. I've created a few less expected children in that way. I don't do it when I'm not playing the potential mother because so far, I follow the various kids in my game through the rotation. I guess that's a bit like the 100 baby challenge but less structured. I just have a bunch of households so I've probably done that challenge without trying.

I'm sorry about the pregnancy fails you had in the game. I guess I've been lucky with succeeding every time so far. Now I'm curious when I'll get a pregnancy fail. But I'm sure it's random when it happens. Same, I don't play with mods and I had made a big family cause idk it was fun at the time? XD

I don't know what the 100 baby challenge is. But you are brave to watch over many households than only one. Lol. For me, one household is stressful enough cause it can be hard to keep my sims on track to improve specific skills for the futures I have planned for them. :/ Sometimes I'm tempted to cheat to improve the skill levels for my sims but I resisted so far. I don't know though I might cave and cheat the skill levels cause it's taking forever.
  • Options
    Elder women can't get pregnant, but elders can die from woohoo 😂

I have most of my children during young adulthood, but sometimes I make a baby or two when my sims are about to age up to elders xD
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    I've had quite a few fails. Once even failed twice in a row...
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member

I'm sorry about the pregnancy fails you had in the game. I guess I've been lucky with succeeding every time so far. Now I'm curious when I'll get a pregnancy fail. But I'm sure it's random when it happens. Same, I don't play with mods and I had made a big family cause idk it was fun at the time? XD

I don't know what the 100 baby challenge is. But you are brave to watch over many households than only one. Lol. For me, one household is stressful enough cause it can be hard to keep my sims on track to improve specific skills for the futures I have planned for them. :/ Sometimes I'm tempted to cheat to improve the skill levels for my sims but I resisted so far. I don't know though I might cave and cheat the skill levels cause it's taking forever.

Thanks for the reply. I think it's just that I played quite a few games with just one random family before so now, I play a bunch in one save. I used to abandon saves when I'd start up a new one. For some reason, I didn't really go back to check on where I'd left off. Keeping households in one save means that I go back because I run into those sims again around the world.

Err, other players know more about it but I think the 100 baby challenge is a challenge to have 100 babies in one save. Some players might turn aging off and have a rule that one sim has to be the parent of 100 babies. I haven't actually played it intentionally because I'm just a rotational player but since I have a bunch of households, I've probably had that many over a few generations.

I play a lot of different types of households so my play style switches, I think.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I suppose it’s called try for baby as that's the term used in real life. MC command centre allows you to change the success rate of pregnancy. By default in game it’s set to 80% which is very high. Sims 2 success rate was never that high.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited January 2020

Aw I'm so sorry to hear that. Maybe it'll improve as time goes on? And it'll become less of the norm. Thanks for commenting.

Most of the time they do succeed in getting pregnant when they want to but I think it's right that they aren't always successful. If I need them to be pregnant for story reasons I just have the couple "Try for Baby" as often as possible until the woman gets pregnant. I use MCCC so I can check the pregnancy status quickly if I really want to.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    I had a sim working on the romance aspiration where he had to woohoo quite a few different people - not all of them got pregnant when I did try for baby (which is probably for the best). That was actually even more fun because they were just random townies, so I didn't know if they were pregnant until I saw them walking around town or I got the phone call saying they'd had a child.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    In my game, Eliza and Bob Pancakes had a fail on one of their tries, and then they eventually had twins. I do like when the attempts fail because it's like an unexpected event (because there are more successes than failures so I almost always assume there will be a successful try).
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Why is the option to have a baby a called "try for baby"? I never understand cause so far, every pregnancy in the game had been successful. Never once did "try for baby" fail. I don't know if there's a way to fail it or for the pregnancy to fail while the mom sim is bearing. I think maybe it should be renamed "woohoo for baby" since every "try" is a success.

Please don't be mean to me cause this post. I play the game vanilla style, and only still on my first family so far. But I gotten 5 kids successfully from "try for baby" building the family. So I guess the option's name amuses me. Please be kind.

I’ve had it fail a couple of times, admittedly though it’s rare. The last time it failed for me was Morgan Fyres. I had her try with a sim she married 4 times, all four failed so I incorporated into the story by taking her into CAS, ticking unable to get pregnant and had them adopt a baby.
  • Options
    Elder women can't get pregnant, but elders can die from woohoo 😂

I have most of my children during young adulthood, but sometimes I make a baby or two when my sims are about to age up to elders xD

Oof then I was risky and had both the parents as new elders woohoo! They both survived XD
  • Options
    I suppose it’s called try for baby as that's the term used in real life. MC command centre allows you to change the success rate of pregnancy. By default in game it’s set to 80% which is very high. Sims 2 success rate was never that high.

I didn't know it was probably from a real life term. That's interesting.
  • Options
    jooxis wrote: »
    I've had quite a few fails. Once even failed twice in a row...

That's horrible I'm so sorry :cry:
  • Options
    I had a sim working on the romance aspiration where he had to woohoo quite a few different people - not all of them got pregnant when I did try for baby (which is probably for the best). That was actually even more fun because they were just random townies, so I didn't know if they were pregnant until I saw them walking around town or I got the phone call saying they'd had a child.

Lol. I have a woohoo loving sim and he's working his way through the town XD But I'm not so sure he'll hook up with many females cause he's more into guys. But that sounds so funny, just they call to say there's a kid now XD Not even in sims people can't afford child support I guess. I'm sorry that was a bad joke.
  • Options

I’ve had it fail a couple of times, admittedly though it’s rare. The last time it failed for me was Morgan Fyres. I had her try with a sim she married 4 times, all four failed so I incorporated into the story by taking her into CAS, ticking unable to get pregnant and had them adopt a baby.

Aw it sounds like it didn't go as planned, but hey, adopting is wonderful too :smiley:
  • Options
    In my game, Eliza and Bob Pancakes had a fail on one of their tries, and then they eventually had twins. I do like when the attempts fail because it's like an unexpected event (because there are more successes than failures so I almost always assume there will be a successful try).

Aw that's sweet, eventually it worked out :3 And I haven't gotten that surprise event yet. That's why I made this post, cause I didn't see why there was "trying" if there's always success cause all I got as results were success. As sad as it would be, I'm curious when it'll happen to my sims. I'm sure it's gonna have eventually. They can't all be successes. But I'm not sure. XD
  • Options
    RhiannonravenRhiannonraven Posts: 128 Member

I really wish there could be accidental pregnancies. I think everything with pregnancy is just too predictable. Things I would like to see are:
    • Accidental pregnancies
    • Accidental teen pregnancies
    • Quadruplets (very rare)
    • Less predictable genders from things like eating certain foods and listening to certain music. Maybe more things that affect gender in everyday life so it's less controllable unless you put in a lot of effort or just nothing that affects gender. Or maybe some person you have to visit and pay money to to give your baby the gender you want, although that's a little creepy.
    • Miscarriage or still birth chance
    • Mental/physical genetic issues for kids that affect their lifestyle
    • Possibility to have premature or late births. Premature babies could have to stay at the hospital for a bit if you have Get To Work installed.
    • Baby and toddler stage combined so that babies slowly learn and are taught by parents to walk and play with toddler things. They start out always in a crib unless being played with by parents, once skills are high enough they can leave the crib themselves and basically become toddlers as we know them currently. The life stage would be longer than 1 week. Babies currently are just so boring and pointless so this would give parents a reason to interact with the babies so they gain skills. I think it would be way more fun.

That's all my pregnancy/baby rants for today!
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I really wish there could be accidental pregnancies. I think everything with pregnancy is just too predictable. Things I would like to see are:
    • Accidental pregnancies
    • Less predictable genders from things like eating certain foods and listening to certain music. Maybe more things that affect gender in everyday life so it's less controllable unless you put in a lot of effort or just nothing that affects gender. Or maybe some person you have to visit and pay money to to give your baby the gender you want, although that's a little creepy.
    • Possibility to have premature or late births. Premature babies could have to stay at the hospital for a bit if you have Get To Work installed.
    • Baby and toddler stage combined so that babies slowly learn and are taught by parents to walk and play with toddler things. They start out always in a crib unless being played with by parents, once skills are high enough they can leave the crib themselves and basically become toddlers as we know them currently. The life stage would be longer than 1 week. Babies currently are just so boring and pointless so this would give parents a reason to interact with the babies so they gain skills. I think it would be way more fun.

These are all interesting ideas, but the ones in bold would cause them to lose their T for teen rating, and therefore a big segment of their customer base, and some of the others have to be handled with great sensitivity and care so it doesn’t come off like mocking or cartooning things that are traumatic for people. But I agree with the core of your thoughts in that some more randomness and negative consequences would be interesting. 🙂
  • Options
    • Accidental pregnancies

I don't blame you! All these ideas would make it more interesting. I tried to get teens to be pregnant once before, but it can't happen. "Mess around" for all I can tell is probably just more hardcore making out than actually woohooing. So I guess I was a bit disappointed there. I wanted it for variety, a change to make some drama happen and the game would have been more interesting.

I can only guess it won't allow accidental pregnancies and teen pregnancies cause the game want to encourage that behavior in case of any much younger players that might be between the time of not knowing what woohooing is and what it is in real life.

I'd be on board to somehow get lucky to get Quadruplets! As needy as the babies can be they are so cute and a nice addition to the house :3

Yeah, it'd be more interesting if there was a lesser way to influence the gender of the baby by what the mom eats or listens to. I don't care which it is so I'm happy to get either girls or boys :3 Cause it's a fun surprise to learn it's gender when it finally joins the world :3 It's a pleasant surprise to earn for me :3

Yeah, miscarriages and still births would be so emotionally wrenching on the sims that got that and it would be a huge surprise. Yet maybe they aren't in the game so the game isn't that real, so it can still be rated for all ages to play. But I agree, it would be very interesting if it were to be added.

I'm for Mental/physical genetic issues from birth of babies through out the sims' lives, cause it would make them more unique. And it would challenge the players on how to handle whatever issue it is. I think that would be a less disturbing addition to the game if it ever does get added. Cause for the most part it wouldn't be seen, more just watching how the sim acted differently than others, and learning how to help the sim out to life a good life :3

Oh, the premature or late births would be interesting too. It would change up the game play too.

I really like the idea of the baby and toddler stages kinda getting put together. Cause yeah the babies are so boring and you can't do much with them at first. It'd be nice if there be more chances to care for it as a baby and help it slowly go into toddlerhood. And I'd love it if the babies could eventually escape the cribs. Lol. My big brother did that as a baby, he was always finding a way out of his crib xD It'd be interesting to see sim babies be able to do something like that too. And I'm all for bonding with the babies more :3

Your rants were welcomed :3 Thanks for sharing! :smiley: