Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Mistakes of the Sims 4

Comments

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Can I ask when did they say burglars weren’t being added not because of triggering people but for some other reason?
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I have no problem with the game being inclusive. The sims franchise has always been inclusive. The difference is it wasn’t a sole selling point of a pack. We didn’t have the devs jumping up and down and patting themselves on the back because of it. Now it’s feeling forced and more for the sake of it. For example: on the rebrand sims, there is a gay couple. Which I just want to make clear I have no issues with. I do have issues that EA advertised them as a gay couple, addressed them as girlfriend in their little sim bios but didn’t even bother pairing the sims together so they came as a couple. To make matters worse, if you play either sim you will notice they don’t have a girlfriend. It’s so lazy. If you are going to say you are inclusive and make diverse characters then actually make them EA. But implying a sim has a backstory and relationships they don’t actually have just seems very lazy and kind of insulting especially when dealing with classic sims characters. I.e the Caliente sisters have no relationship with Don but their bio suggests otherwise.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2020
    Can I ask when did they say burglars weren’t being added not because of triggering people but for some other reason?
    Reason being "because they simply aren't". That's not a reason, that's a situational picture. I do remember Grant stating something like that once though. On Twitter, undoubtedly.

ETA: Found it.

And:

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Reason being "because they simply aren't". That's not a reason, that's a situational picture. I do remember Grant stating something like that once though. On Twitter, undoubtedly.

ETA: Found it.

And:

Well this makes me feel better a bit because thinking they weren't included because of being a trigger when we allow fires to off whole rooms of items and families was insane to me. It's still not really a good answer but it's better than the "trigger" explanation.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    To be completely honest, I really don’t care what gender any developer on the team is. EA can boast about it all they’d like to make their company seem progressive, but it’s not going to influence my purchasing decision in the slightest. I paid, if I remember correctly, $80 for the premium version of The Sims 4 like a 🤡 back in 2014, and all I really want/care from the studio is a game that is working, innovative, fun, and well worth the price charged.

Enough with all the lame “progressive” attempts. The Sims was the greatest safe space for one to express themselves when it wasn’t intentionally trying to be one, nor bragging about it, either.
    I don’t care either, though it might be possible that this whole “let’s ban all violence and pointing at people, ugh, só abusive” might actually be a female touch. I prefer balance, in any company. I work in a place with hardly any men and, well, I miss them sometimes ;)

I agree — balance is very important in any working environment. It’s an interesting thing to think about for sure, especially when you consider how The Sims 1 was not going to really have a focus on relationships until a female lead pushed for it. It also makes you wonder if TS3 got some of its RPG elements and open world design from the male developers who worked on RPG titles in the past.

I really hope we see more of a balance in the next Sims game for sure. I think The Sims could really benefit from developers who are well-versed in balanced game design. The Sims 4 is too much of an easy cakewalk with zero consequence to the point you are just playing a checklist simulator (if you’re even trying to attain any of the menial goals in the game).
  • Options
    To be completely honest, I really don’t care what gender any developer on the team is. EA can boast about it all they’d like to make their company seem progressive, but it’s not going to influence my purchasing decision in the slightest. I paid, if I remember correctly, $80 for the premium version of The Sims 4 like a 🤡 back in 2014, and all I really want/care from the studio is a game that is working, innovative, fun, and well worth the price charged.

Enough with all the lame “progressive” attempts. The Sims was the greatest safe space for one to express themselves when it wasn’t intentionally trying to be one, nor bragging about it, either.
    I don’t care either, though it might be possible that this whole “let’s ban all violence and pointing at people, ugh, só abusive” might actually be a female touch. I prefer balance, in any company. I work in a place with hardly any men and, well, I miss them sometimes ;)

I agree — balance is very important in any working environment. It’s an interesting thing to think about for sure, especially when you consider how The Sims 1 was not going to really have a focus on relationships until a female lead pushed for it. It also makes you wonder if TS3 got some of its RPG elements and open world design from the male developers who worked on RPG titles in the past.

I really hope we see more of a balance in the next Sims game for sure. I think The Sims could really benefit from developers who are well-versed in balanced game design. The Sims 4 is too much of an easy cakewalk with zero consequence to the point you are just playing a checklist simulator (if you’re even trying to attain any of the menial goals in the game).
    Yes, if there’s balance that way, also the game will become balanced and I think it needs to be. I like the RPG elements by the way, as long as they’re on the side and not repetitive and not checklist based. RPG Strangerville style: no please. I have a feeling for instance actually Grant Rodiek (a male) didn’t quite get what many simmers want from this game, missing the mark? But nor did Rachel Franklin. So at the end of the day it isn’t all about gender, that’s too simple ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member

I don't think it's so much a "female touch" as a "wimp touch." I'm female, after all (both psychologically and biologically), and if I were helming this game, I would have no problem at all with keeping the violence, meanness, and drama in the game. Heck, some of my favorite anime have blood, violence, death, drama, swear words, and/or dirty jokes in them. I swear, something like Gundam Wing, Fullmetal Alchemist, or Cyber City Oedo 808 would probably have the wet blankets in charge of this game sobbing for their Teddys! Heck, maybe even uncut episodes of Sailor Moon would have them weeping...

So, saying that the quest to clear out all negativity in the game is a feminine thing is just plain wrong. Plenty of women enjoy harder media content AND want to (and do) make it. It's not about the game having women in charge, it's about the game having squeamish wimps who probably can't watch an episode of G.I. Joe without covering their poor wittle eyes when the fighting starts in charge.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options

Yes, if there’s balance that way, also the game will become balanced and I think it needs to be. I like the RPG elements by the way, as long as they’re on the side and not repetitive and not checklist based. RPG Strangerville style: no please. I have a feeling for instance actually Grant Rodiek (a male) didn’t quite get what many simmers want from this game, missing the mark? But nor did Rachel Franklin. So at the end of the day it isn’t all about gender, that’s too simple ;)

Right, I think it really just comes down to the background of the developers in charge, and their vision for the game going forward. I just can't help but feel those who led (or maybe continue to lead) The Sims 4 do not have a vision which meshes with the genre The Sims is. Strangerville is a great example of this; a linear, scripted story with gameplay comprised of nothing but checklists is purely anti The Sims to me.

And I actually grew to like the RPG elements myself, too. Especially after playing The Sims 4, and seeing how boring it is with how it relies on solely player imagination or the boring checklist goals for entertainment, it became evident to me that they have their place in this game.

For instance, The Sims 3's opportunities (what some may consider to be like RPG quests) are one of my favorite features from the game. It made the world feel alive when they would get opportunities from other Sims and the venues around the town, such as making dishes for the bistro, a teacher chaperoning a school dance, a business Sim doing a presentation, and so many more. For the most part, the system felt a bit more open-ended. There were so many opportunities that I could run into, and how they would pop up depending on my Sim's lifestyles, relationships, and so on was great, too. Other frequent RPG systems which come to mind such as the open world, expansive collecting and the overhauled skilling system are other great features, too.

The Sims 2 has a good amount of what I'd consider to be RPG elements as well. For instance, every Sim had a "skill tree" (like the ones that came along with The Sims 4: Vampires and Get Famous) called Aspiration Benefits. It's a common RPG feature, and I think it works very well in The Sims, way better implemented than a boring reward store to redeem useless whim points with. They should definitely expand upon the concept for all Sims with The Sims 5.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

I don't think it's so much a "female touch" as a "wimp touch." I'm female, after all (both psychologically and biologically), and if I were helming this game, I would have no problem at all with keeping the violence, meanness, and drama in the game. Heck, some of my favorite anime have blood, violence, death, drama, swear words, and/or dirty jokes in them. I swear, something like Gundam Wing, Fullmetal Alchemist, or plum City Oedo 808 would probably have the wet blankets in charge of this game sobbing for their Teddys! Heck, maybe even uncut episodes of Sailor Moon would have them weeping...

So, saying that the quest to clear out all negativity in the game is a feminine thing is just plain wrong. Plenty of women enjoy harder media content AND want to (and do) make it. It's not about the game having women in charge, it's about the game having squeamish wimps who probably can't watch an episode of G.I. Joe without covering their poor wittle eyes when the fighting starts in charge.
    Hm, well, of course it's never 100% true (like I said in another post later), but I do think there is a large grey area between "all women are family focused softies" and "it's just plain wrong". When I went to Downton Abbey the movie with my husband, before the film started a woman turned around and said to her friends: "See, there actually is a man!" Now, he wasn't there for me, he actually loves Downton Abbey, but I can assure you he indeed was the exception to the rule. Then go to Terminator Rise of the Machines and see how many girls are there, in comparison. (you won't find my husband there btw)

I'm a female and I find this game way too soft as well. I still think this game would benefit from both men and women being in charge though. Because there's a difference in approach and this game can benefit from that difference.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    The biggest mistakes TS4 has made is not remembering TS2 and TS3 exist. We know better, no matter the excuse.

Honestly, well said.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2020

Right, I think it really just comes down to the background of the developers in charge, and their vision for the game going forward. I just can't help but feel those who led (or maybe continue to lead) The Sims 4 do not have a vision which meshes with the genre The Sims is. Strangerville is a great example of this; a linear, scripted story with gameplay comprised of nothing but checklists is purely anti The Sims to me.

And I actually grew to like the RPG elements myself, too. Especially after playing The Sims 4, and seeing how boring it is with how it relies on solely player imagination or the boring checklist goals for entertainment, it became evident to me that they have their place in this game.

For instance, The Sims 3's opportunities (what some may consider to be like RPG quests) are one of my favorite features from the game. It made the world feel alive when they would get opportunities from other Sims and the venues around the town, such as making dishes for the bistro, a teacher chaperoning a school dance, a business Sim doing a presentation, and so many more. For the most part, the system felt a bit more open-ended. There were so many opportunities that I could run into, and how they would pop up depending on my Sim's lifestyles, relationships, and so on was great, too. Other frequent RPG systems which come to mind such as the open world, expansive collecting and the overhauled skilling system are other great features, too.

The Sims 2 has a good amount of what I'd consider to be RPG elements as well. For instance, every Sim had a "skill tree" (like the ones that came along with The Sims 4: Vampires and Get Famous) called Aspiration Benefits. It's a common RPG feature, and I think it works very well in The Sims, way better implemented than a boring reward store to redeem useless whim points with. They should definitely expand upon the concept for all Sims with The Sims 5.

Mind you aspiration benefits weren't a thing until Freetime. Personally, I don't think "skill trees" matter too much to what the sims is and it's not what makes it fun.

Imo what makes TS2 so great is the amount of relatability that it has. As a lifesim, that's what makes it succeed. The systems in place are very well based on real life and real people, turn ons and offs, aspirations, needs, interests, influence, chemestry/love, memories, anger/fury, etc. TS4 doesn't have any of that and if it does it's a knock off dollar store version.

Skill trees are all well and good but at the end of the day you are more interested in levelling up rather than playing as a vampire or celebrity, that's why the fun gets cut to at least a half when you finish the tree completely, it then doesn't matter as much.

TS2 also had a lot of details and animations so realistic they were to die for. It was visually interesting to watch sims interact with each other and certain objects. TS4 only has glimpses of that. Focusing instead in talking toilets and other dumb shenanigans. TS2 has those too, quite a lot, but there's a bigger balance, and a much clever humor too, something TS4 lacks. Woohoo? Fist Bump. Toilet? Talking. Hotel? Trivago. No seriously TS4 has a problem, everything needs to be quirky or else it'll no longer be the game version of Lazy Town. Sims even randomly do push ups on the side walk like the blue moustache guy. It gets really annoying. But it's much better now than back when the game came out at least, and the latter packs have introduced some small things that are making the game more doable for me. Still I hope they can make the AI better and add more, better features....or else, move on to TS5.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Mind you aspiration benefits weren't a thing until Freetime. Personally, I don't think "skill trees" matter too much to what the sims is and it's not what makes it fun.

Imo what makes TS2 so great is the amount of relatability that it has. As a lifesim, that's what makes it succeed. The systems in place are very well based on real life and real people, turn ons and offs, aspirations, needs, interests, influence, chemestry/love, memories, anger/fury, etc. TS4 doesn't have any of that and if it does it's a knock off dollar store version.

Skill trees are all well and good but at the end of the day you are more interested in levelling up rather than playing as a vampire or celebrity, that's why the fun gets cut to at least a half when you finish the tree completely, it then doesn't matter as much.

TS2 also had a lot of details and animations so realistic they were to die for. It was visually interesting to watch sims interact with each other and certain objects. TS4 only has glimpses of that. Focusing instead in talking toilets and other dumb shenanigans. TS2 has those too, quite a lot, but there's a bigger balance, and a much clever humor too, something TS4 lacks. Woohoo? Fist Bump. Toilet? Talking. Hotel? Trivago. No seriously TS4 has a problem, everything needs to be quirky or else it'll no longer be the game version of Lazy Town. Sims even randomly do push ups on the side walk like the blue moustache guy. It gets really annoying. But it's much better now than back when the game came out at least, and the latter packs have introduced some small things that are making the game more doable for me. Still I hope they can make the AI better and add more, better features....or else, move on to TS5.

Of course the skill trees don’t make The Sims 2 what it is, I brought it up in the conversation of RPG systems within The Sims as a means of saying RPG elements have been present in this series for awhile.

To me, the skill tree feature can be a good, balanced way of further cultivating our Sims beyond within the game itself. Rather than have something like whims and a pop up reward store of overpowered traits which grant the ability to never go to the bathroom again, etc., The Sims 2 would have us pick from a limited amount of options which would only lessen decay rate. And it was really tough to unlock all of them within the lifespan of a Sim. Aside from that, we had more neat perks such as a whole secondary life aspiration.

At the end of the day what makes The Sims 2 the highlight of the franchise for me is how the developers were very much in tune with making the game a truly next gen life simulator for the time. You can tell they poured a ton of hard work into making those Sims feel believable and life-like, and it’s insane that they still remain the most intelligent of the series to this day. Not to mention all of its expansions meshed super well with the genre and game The Sims should be, and we’ve never had a flop expansion pack such as Island Living, something a bit ridiculous like Strangerville, or something just a downright joke like My First Pet Stuff. When it went to add a feature like restaurants, we weren’t paying a separate fee for a feature which doesn’t work properly like its counterpart in The Sims 4. They bundled it in a gameplay-filled expansion pack, Nightlife and went all out on adding content perfect for a night out, rather than try to nickel and dime consumers over a long, drawn out period of time. There was no bull, no stress from bugs or poor gameplay, no need for Maxis apologists to defend poor quality, either. Just a great game for a price which was absolutely justified for what you got. And, at the end of the day, a good game is all I want. I don’t care for anything else from Maxis.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited January 2020
    Moreproof this is no longer a game but social-political propaganda.

Maxis PR Manager, Charlie Sinhaseni, August 2014
    “We strive for inclusion whenever possible. We look at our own diversity as a studio in terms of understanding what it is we want to achieve with the game. Our senior leadership is all women—our VP, our GM, our two most senior producers, lots of the department leads. We talk about these topics a lot, and it’s really encouraging that you bring them up. We think about them every single day."

https://forbes.com/sites/michaelthomsen/2014/08/15/how-does-the-sims-4-handle-gender-and-racism/#57cfe2ed15cd

Efforts to be inclusive are nice and all but when it becomes the driving force of the studio, over actually making a game, the game stops being a game and it becomes very easy to see it as the propaganda you describe.

I don't see how have a senior position of all women. is inclusive.Personally I don't think a company should try to be inclusive.They should tried to have the best people for the job.

Who's to say these women aren't the best people for the job? It seems you're implying they were hired simply because they're female.

"It can't all be white males. As a result, I think that hiring managers at EA over the last couple of years have had a sharper focus on diversity."
    - EA's Peter Moore

pushsquare.com/news/2015/09/ea_wants_more_diversity_in_game_development

Going through EA's diversity policies on their website along with articles like this makes it clear that they have an agenda. Going back to the topic, the mistake in question would be putting said agenda over fixing the game's design flaws and bugs. The sharp focus should be on releasing a product that functions as intended when their own words seem to indicate otherwise.

I agree as some do not care how much it would cost to fix an bug or flaw and with EA/Maxis slow on the draw makes the bugs and flaws more costly by not addressing them in an timely manner. It should not take more than an few years to fix an bug or flaw and by not addressing the problems in the game shows me where EA/Maxis focus is at which is more on spitting out the packs and some players align themselves with EA/Maxis focus. For me I do not look on an company favorably when they neglect the quality of the game also The Sims series is not invulerable as Sim City has shown which by the way older than the Sims series and all that is Sims spun off the Sim City series. Sims series intention was not to make it an realistic game simulation but an parody of it and the game is moving more from it's parodic beginnings to an game where the woes of the RL are now translated into an game. I do not mind an spin off where these woes can be played to one's hearts content. as Cinebar has posted and I agree the way one used to play the previous versions have changed drastically and it is not in an good way neithier. If this is the way Sims series will be like going forward I rather get out and not pay out and wait for Paralives and see how that pans out.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    AndragonAndragon Posts: 1 New Member
    Stupid autonomy. The AI is the craziest and dumbest autonomy I have ever seen. They don't take account for any of the character's traits, they just randomly do whatever. Mechanics picking flowers and florists building machines. That's about how much since the Sims 4 autonomy is. Flirting with people you have no interest in. Old folks becoming video game junkies. There should be room for uniquness from a sim or two but every old person or anybody for that matter fights over who gets on the game cube. Objects and autonomy should be reserved for sims who either fall under a certain category or have particular traits. Simple as that. How hard can that be? Happy children autonomously complaining about parents.

More positive traits...we have the non-committal trait but the only answer to that trait is the jealous trait. Jealous trait is not the same as faithfully committed trait that doesn't exist and should or there shouldn't be a non-committal trait then. This is biased. Make them get debuffs if they are flirted with by anyone other than their soulmate after achieving one. There are several traits like this that don't have good opposites. I have no problem with the jealous trait being there but it is not the answer for an opposite to the non-committal trait, but a category all in it's own that falls in the obsessive compulsive disorder area.

Fun should be measured differently for each sim... Mermaids should find swimming as the most fun thing to do in the world. Some playthroughs have my mermaids loosing fun while swimming while others are only mildly increasing the bar. It makes no sense that a mermaid would get a pulled muscle from just swimming which is what they are designed to do. We better start extracting all of the fish out of our oceans and find where to put them for a while because they are bound to have some major pulled muscle debuffs going on for being there for their entire lives so far. At least if things were the way they are in the sims world. The whole snorkeling mayhem is a crock of dark gooey stuff that comes out of behinds. If you take the conservation career you can inspect the wildlife at the shallow ones and it uses a snorkeling animation for the mermaid to do it. But the required career task to snorkel can't be done. It makes no sense whatsoever. Call it something different for the mermaid but they can swim better than any human with snorkel gear. Can't wear snorkel gear? That's fine, they don't need snorkel gear but that doesn't mean they can't snorkel.

Mean people can love too! There should be a special trait for people who just don't like being nice to strangers. Autonomous mean interactions should only be a thing for those outside of the household and bloodline. Maybe if you had some good friends they would be ok to be nice to as well. The loner trait makes the sim more bashful and not mean. Only some loners are like that. Other loners get mean with outsiders. Just like the pets trait. The pet doesn't get bashful and shy. No, they get protective and mean. There should be human traits that are like that too.

I could go on and on with so many more things that make this game frustrating but these here would be game changers for sure.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Andragon wrote: »
    Stupid autonomy. The AI is the craziest and dumbest autonomy I have ever seen. They don't take account for any of the character's traits, they just randomly do whatever. Mechanics picking flowers and florists building machines. That's about how much since the Sims 4 autonomy is. Flirting with people you have no interest in. Old folks becoming video game junkies. There should be room for uniquness from a sim or two but every old person or anybody for that matter fights over who gets on the game cube. Objects and autonomy should be reserved for sims who either fall under a certain category or have particular traits. Simple as that. How hard can that be? Happy children autonomously complaining about parents.

More positive traits...we have the non-committal trait but the only answer to that trait is the jealous trait. Jealous trait is not the same as faithfully committed trait that doesn't exist and should or there shouldn't be a non-committal trait then. This is biased. Make them get debuffs if they are flirted with by anyone other than their soulmate after achieving one. There are several traits like this that don't have good opposites. I have no problem with the jealous trait being there but it is not the answer for an opposite to the non-committal trait, but a category all in it's own that falls in the obsessive compulsive disorder area.

More traits at this point wouldn't do anything... The entire personality system is a complete dud, you might as well be picking out the colour of their clothes for all the effect it has on their behaviour.

Everything is completely bound to the emotion system, so any traits you pick have almost no effect on a Sim because what they do and how they behave is at the behest of their current emotion.

raw
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member

I don't think it's so much a "female touch" as a "wimp touch." I'm female, after all (both psychologically and biologically), and if I were helming this game, I would have no problem at all with keeping the violence, meanness, and drama in the game. Heck, some of my favorite anime have blood, violence, death, drama, swear words, and/or dirty jokes in them. I swear, something like Gundam Wing, Fullmetal Alchemist, or plum City Oedo 808 would probably have the wet blankets in charge of this game sobbing for their Teddys! Heck, maybe even uncut episodes of Sailor Moon would have them weeping...

Hm, well, of course it's never 100% true (like I said in another post later), but I do think there is a large grey area between "all women are family focused softies" and "it's just plain wrong". When I went to Downton Abbey the movie with my husband, before the film started a woman turned around and said to her friends: "See, there actually is a man!" Now, he wasn't there for me, he actually loves Downton Abbey, but I can assure you he indeed was the exception to the rule. Then go to Terminator Rise of the Machines and see how many girls are there, in comparison. (you won't find my husband there btw)

I'm a female and I find this game way too soft as well. I still think this game would benefit from both men and women being in charge though. Because there's a difference in approach and this game can benefit from that difference.

True, most women are discouraged from getting into the action genre at a young age, and most men are discouraged from getting into character-driven social dramas and romance from a young age. Still, there are more than a few shows and movies aimed at a female audience that are almost nothing but people being mean to each other and acting like fools...they call them Teen Dramas and Lifetime Movies. As soft as TS4 is, you can't even play those sorts of stories out without heavy modding to bring things closer to TS2 and TS3 in terms of relationship mechanics and sim behavior.

I don't think that the problem is necessarily a gender imbalance. I think that the problem is that there aren't enough people in charge who actually understand how important those harder, darker elements actually are to the overall atmosphere and fun-factor of this series because their preference in media is softer stuff...like Carebears and Barney and Friends. You know, the stuff that parent action groups love because it's all sweetness and sunshine, but kids over 4 can't watch without MST3K-ing the Heck out of it.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Let’s leave the gender discussion, because we’re clearly not entirely on the same page there and at the end of the day, what does it matter ;) I agree with the overall conclusion in your post (concerning Sims 4).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited January 2020
    The Sims 4 existence is the biggest mistake!
    Post edited by Renato10 on
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member

True, most women are discouraged from getting into the action genre at a young age, and most men are discouraged from getting into character-driven social dramas and romance from a young age. Still, there are more than a few shows and movies aimed at a female audience that are almost nothing but people being mean to each other and acting like fools...they call them Teen Dramas and Lifetime Movies. As soft as TS4 is, you can't even play those sorts of stories out without heavy modding to bring things closer to TS2 and TS3 in terms of relationship mechanics and sim behavior.

I don't think that the problem is necessarily a gender imbalance. I think that the problem is that there aren't enough people in charge who actually understand how important those harder, darker elements actually are to the overall atmosphere and fun-factor of this series because their preference in media is softer stuff...like Carebears and Barney and Friends. You know, the stuff that parent action groups love because it's all sweetness and sunshine, but kids over 4 can't watch without MST3K-ing the Heck out of it.

I disagree about Care Bears. It was much darker than TS4.

Nicholas.jpg

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/care-bears/251418/the-care-bears-movie-is-terrifying

https://biffbampop.com/2017/08/03/creations-of-chaos-the-care-bears-movie/

I think I can still happily watch that stuff. ;)

(And I now realize why I was afraid of funhouses as a tinetsy kid.)
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

I disagree about Care Bears. It was much darker than TS4.

Nicholas.jpg

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/care-bears/251418/the-care-bears-movie-is-terrifying

https://biffbampop.com/2017/08/03/creations-of-chaos-the-care-bears-movie/

I think I can still happily watch that stuff. ;)

(And I now realize why I was afraid of funhouses as a tinetsy kid.)

:) Random post because you mentioned my childhood
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    No wonder my daughter liked Care Bears, she loves darker tone shows & movies.
    Her fave now is Star Wars Revenge of the Sith, Riverdale & The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Mistakes of Sims 4:
    Oversimplified
    Lacking cherished systems (color wheel, open world,CAW etc)
    Personality System downgraded
    Lack of consequences
    Missing basic functions (like still no burglars)
    Less difficulty
    Expansions & Stuff packs have less quality or quanity that previous games
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    IvySouthgaleIvySouthgale Posts: 1 New Member
    > @dearie_blossom said:
    > The biggest mistake of The Sims 4 is that it‘s trying to be a happy safe space for everyone. Sorry, but if a pixelated burglar triggers you then you shouldn‘t be playing video games but consulting a psychologist. EA shouldn‘t even entertain this nonsense.
    >
    > It destroys all the fun. You have two sims who are enemies but they‘re autonomously friendly with each other. It‘s more difficult to remain poor than it is to become rich. You don‘t pay your bills? Whatever, doesn‘t matter. You catch your wife cheating? Oh, here you have a happy „around family“ moodlet. Your mother just died? Look, here‘s a new painting, now be happy.
    >
    > I wouldn‘t be surprised if they‘d removed death altogether in TS5, really. Vampire bites and fire, too. And the kleptomaniac trait.

I love making storylines with all my sims and this whole autonatomy just screws it all up almost every single time :'(
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited January 2020
    I always say that everybody is triggered by something. Even I have what you might call 'triggers' (nothing that makes me sit down and cry, of course, but things that really rile me up).

Sims 4 has a T-Rating to accomadate the Woo-Hoo and really bad arguments, despite the fact that with or without Woo-Hoo, kids wouldn't be interested. It's just not a kid's genre. The average age is actually around 27.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.