Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Potion or Rainbow Gem

Pertaining to The Sims 3 Imaginary Friends, do you prefer to make them real through the Potion or Rainbow Gem?

Potion or Rainbow Gem 21 votes

Potion
76%
nickibitswardcarlystur03TEXASKITTYKATjillbgstarguruKarritzAaeiynMemoriiValentinethuggishsplicerKevinL5275WaterdragonNikkei_SimmerBrandontaylorsimms745KeiomestreTurjan 16 votes
Rainbow Gem
23%
BloosmooPuddinroyJoAnne65LustianiciaAlliandre 5 votes

Comments

• AaeiynAaeiyn Posts: 521 Member
    Potion
    I like the Potion. Much easier than the Rainbow Gem. I've only ever come across one Rainbow Gem, in my entire Sims 3 life. Gotten the Potion, more times than I can count.
  • carlystur03carlystur03 Posts: 435 Member
    Potion
    I also said Potions. I mean, I like how it'll show you where the gem shows up if it does spawn in at all. But, I would just much rather wait to get the potion instead since you're practically guaranteed to get it eventually.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    edited January 2020
    Potion
    The reason is actually simple: I have never had a rainbow gem when that opportunity came up, while kids can already learn to make potions.
  • PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    Rainbow Gem
    I find more rainbow gems in my games. :)
    :) Smile!

Potion
    Puddinroy wrote: »
    I find more rainbow gems in my games. :)
    I wish I had your luck.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I didn't vote because I would never bring an imaginary friend to life but I just wanted to say I never had problems finding rainbow gems because my disciplined sims break boards autonomously and generate tons of gems from breaking space rocks.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited January 2020
    Potion
    I’d rather not waste a rainbow gem and lose the simoleons. ~evil grin~Screenshot-83.jpg
    Plus there’s a really cool animation with glowy clouds.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    Potion
    I voted potion, but it mostly depends on the save I´m playing. The potion is easier to get, but in my longer saves there´s always someone who can break space rocks and produces rainbow gems.
    (You can actually cut the rainbow gem with the gem cutter. The science lab accepts the cut gem as well as the the surplus dust, so you kind of double your gem.)
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,969 Member
    Ive only turned a Sim’s Imaginary Friend real once. Pretty sure it was via the potion. It was pretty cool actually because the Sim and their Friend became lovers, which was sweet. (I might utilise that option more often, actually). I need to focus more on the Logic skill, I guess!!
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Potion
    The potion served my purpose the one and only time I used it - times 2 as it was on two imaginary friends!
    thegreywitches-part02-14-33.jpg
    thegreywitches-part02-14-36.jpg
    thegreywitches-part02-14-49.jpg

NymlADp.jpg
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I didn't vote as there was not an option to stuff them in the family inventory and delete them from the game, or mod them out. >:) Those IF's are creepy!
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »
    I didn't vote as there was not an option to stuff them in the family inventory and delete them from the game, or mod them out. >:) Those IF's are creepy!

I was going to behave and not bring this up :D but after doing the stuffing/deleting for years, I've modded them out, which makes me really happy.

The one constructive thing I wanted to add is if you want rainbow gems, get a dog and teach it to hunt. I get lots of them and all the other gems, too.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Potion
    I voted for potion. I usually get them to use the Chemistry table to make one because they learn logic as they do it and they actually make progress.

The rainbow gem method I found time consuming and in the end the potion is used anyway. It takes such a long time to find the rainbow gem. Then have to hand it into the Science building. I can't remember all the things that have to be done but it is a string of things and in the end the sim has to buy the potion from the Science center. It costs over 4,000 simoleans. I think this is paid via the sale of the rainbow gem to the science center.

If they make it on the Chemistry table, the first potion to make the imaginary friend become real is free. Each potion made after the first one is over 4,000 simoleans. I can't remember the exact price.
    edited January 2020
    Potion
    Ive only turned a Sim’s Imaginary Friend real once. Pretty sure it was via the potion. It was pretty cool actually because the Sim and their Friend became lovers, which was sweet. (I might utilise that option more often, actually). I need to focus more on the Logic skill, I guess!!
    Same, for me, too. My IFs become the future Spouse of my Sims that they are the IF for ;P
    bekkasan wrote: »
    Just keep them in their Human Form, after making them real.
    suzses wrote: »
    The one constructive thing I wanted to add is if you want rainbow gems, get a dog and teach it to hunt. I get lots of them and all the other gems, too.
    Karritz wrote: »
    The rainbow gem method I found time consuming and in the end the potion is used anyway. It takes such a long time to find the rainbow gem. Then have to hand it into the Science building. I can't remember all the things that have to be done but it is a string of things and in the end the sim has to buy the potion from the Science center. It costs over 4,000 simoleans. I think this is paid via the sale of the rainbow gem to the science center.
    I wanted to ask, is it true that trading (Gifting) a Rainbow Gem from one Sim to the Child Sim doesn't count as "acquiring" a Rainbow Gem for the Opportunity? I've heard that but haven't been able to test it out and is another reason I prefer the Potion over the Gem. No issues with transferring (Gifting) the Potion from one Sim to a Child Sim.
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    Potion
    Aaeiyn wrote: »
    I wanted to ask, is it true that trading (Gifting) a Rainbow Gem from one Sim to the Child Sim doesn't count as "acquiring" a Rainbow Gem for the Opportunity? I've heard that but haven't been able to test it out and is another reason I prefer the Potion over the Gem. No issues with transferring (Gifting) the Potion from one Sim to a Child Sim.

No clue about gifting, but dragging the gem from one inventory to the other doesn´t cause any problems whatsoever. They can bring it to the Science Lab as if they found it themselves.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited January 2020
    Rainbow Gem
    I've only ever used the potions, but I didn't even know using the rainbow gem was a possibility... lol That method sounds a lot cooler, almost like the dragon scale in Dragon Tales that allows the characters to teleport themselves to Dragon Land... (I hope others on here understand the reference).

Generally, however, I would just shove them into my Sims' inventories and never see them again... not only because they're creepy, but also because they become very annoying after awhile. Especially when my Sim is trying to take a shower/bath or simply use the toilet, but the imaginary friend comes running in (following them) and then my Sim stops what they're doing to shoo them out of the room.

It's just frustrating... which is disappointing... because the imaginary friends were actually an interesting idea (despite how creepy they are).
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
    edited January 2020
    Potion
    Imaginary friends can be really disturbing if you really look at it. Screenshot-48.jpg
    "I wish I could eat too..." ~disconcerting stare~

So I turned him into this (human-shape; pre-sim-transformation state) still a doll but takes the shape of a human.
    Screenshot-56.jpg
    I think he looks a lot better than his doll form.

And then after Allison finally transforms him with a potion.
    Screenshot-86.jpg

At least in Sim form he’s not so creepy.
    AllisonWhyWon%2527tYou.jpg

Nosirree Bob. i’m not going to waste a valuable rainbow gemstone that can net me a healthy chunk of simoleons for a IF transformation when I can make it at the chemistry table. 😆
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Rainbow Gem
    @Nikkei_Simmer: I almost snorted up a Dr. Pepper! Hehehe

Potion

Ouch, snorting up a Dr. Pepper up your nose? That’s gotta hurt.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Rainbow Gem

Ouch, snorting up a Dr. Pepper up your nose? That’s gotta hurt.

@Nikkei_Simmer: Yes sir. Achooooooooooooooooooo! Wipes off Dr. Pepper from my screen!

• stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Potion
    I think I’ve used potions more than gems, so I chose that option.

But really, it depends. If I have a Sim in the household that I’m leveling in logic anyway, I’ll make a potion. If I have a general collector, a Sim skilled in science (with the ability to clone samples with the research station) or board-breaking martial artist, I’ll use a rainbow gem.

I haven’t made an IF real in a long time though, and usually sell them right away.

However, in a past save I’d created an army of them... :lol:

IFarmy_zpsbv70uaz2.jpg
    Potion
    @starguru: Oh my, that is terrifying.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited January 2020
    Potion
    @starguru amazing army. It reminds me of the time I wanted every type of snowman. They made 80 snowmen before I got them all.
    Potion
    @Karritz - that must have been killer lag when displaying. I noticed that one can put snowmen into storage but sometimes they melt before removal. :) true to life.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Potion
    @starguru: Oh my, that is terrifying.

I don't find IFs that creepy myself--more dull than anything due to a lack of interesting occult powers and their zero slider faces.

But it would be terrifying to have a horde of them converge on you chanting, "One of us! One of us!" >:)
    Karritz wrote: »
    @starguru amazing army. It reminds me of the time I wanted every type of snowman. They made 80 snowmen before I got them all.

Thanks! I use a mod to make the dolls buyable so I can use them for decor, or add/remove them as needed.

That's a lot of snowmen, lol. I still don't think I've managed to build all the snowman types in a single household.