Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone use AD Block to play the Sims? Do you recommend?

I know that this may not be the place to ask, but can someone tell me if adblock is ok and safe to use?There are some Sims' items I really want, but adfly is such a pain!

Comments

• SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I use ad block but even with it I still avoid downloading from adfly. Most of the creators have a none adfly option to download their items. Personally I don't like to risk it so if they don't have an alternative option then I probably just live without the items.
  • KatzcKatzc Posts: 506 Member
    Thank you Sharonia. I think I'm taking your advice! :)
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    I use adblock but find I have to pause on the adfly site. I have not been going crazy with cc because of this.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited January 2020
    Ad blockers are great. BUT! I've heard adfly is not the place you want to get your CC from.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    AdBlock is a browser-based application. It doesn't interfere with installed games on your computer.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Creators of CC should stop to use Adbly
    Malwarebytes block it as malware site
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    Get a good Internet security program instead. 😂 That way it can remove any bad downloads or even prevent any.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited January 2020
    Adblock is safe to use, but you should deactivate it on sites where you want to support the creator like on youtube because it blocks ad revenue.
    You should never download CC from creators who use adfly. Those sites are very unsafe and most creators are aware of that.
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    Ublock Origin is better, in my opinion, than Adblock. I used to use Adblock but switched in the last couple of years.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Adfly is awful, it has one ad that locks up your computer claiming you have a virus and then puts up an 800 number that is supposed to connect you to Microsoft techs who can “fix” it. It’s a phishing scam of course for credit card numbers. PCMatic claims they block that ad so I bought it. They don’t block that ad FYI. So I had to ctrl+alt+del my way out of it again. So, long story short, if a creator is using adfly, you don’t need their stuff that badly because it could cost you way more than you’re prepared to pay.

When I first started on Tumblr almost everyone had adfly, now I scarcely see it. I’m happy to give on Patreon to those whose stuff I use the most, and donate to others when I can. But adfly is a no go for me.
  • ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Oh jeez, Adfly is awful. I used to get so many virus warnings from it! There's a finds site on Tumblr that only reblogs links that don't use anything like that, it's called maxismatchccworld. For items that you can't get anywhere else (especially things like meshes), I use a script called Universal Bypass, which you can install with Tampermonkey. It pretty much instantly skips over Adfly and similar sites and goes straight to the actual link.
  • simgirl542simgirl542 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Adfly is bad? I didn't know that. Thanks for the info on that one. The creator that I have mods for that has adfly available has more then one option, but MTS is my go to site ever since I learned how to use it. So any with the word ad?
    Celebrating 11 years on this forum. Simming proudly since 2001.
  • Madachan88Madachan88 Posts: 360 Member
    edited January 2020
    Adfly is really a pain and just pure Malware.
    I use the ultimate bypass browser Addon to skip any Adfly like site.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/universal-bypass/aihomhdbhpnpmcnnbckjjcebjoikpihj
  • LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited January 2020
    NM-deleted
    Post edited by LatteCrab on