Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rotational Play and University

Comments

• JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I wish they would at least maintain their current grade, not average it down. Also lots of NPCs seem to be on probation for some reason. My sim made friends with her roommate so I wanted to add her to my household. She was attending classes with my sim for two/three terms. Yet now I've added her to my household, she has 6 credits but is on probation and has an F. I'm fine with her having credits as I attended with her, but she shouldn't have an F or be on probation. Can't find a way to cheat this to fix it either :(.

I think the issue with freezing progress would be what if you left a household at the start of a term and came back on the last day - if no progress was made, would they instantly fail all of their classes if you only played them at the very start and at the end?

I think for me, what I want to do is be able to enroll in a 0-class term. So when I move away, I can keep sims enrolled and in dorms, not have to reapply for anything, but have a term with nothing so it doesn't affect their grade. I might look into if there is a mod for this/if I can create one as this would solve my problems.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    That's a nice idea, @MsTiquelle, I hope EA will add something like it to fix rotational play for DU.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I have had some time playing DU now. It is fun :)

57000647af57e291b2e9c238f5a8f3fac5562a6e.png
    I have my little alien robot-lover who I only played enough to enroll and then I have logged out and left her household alone. Will see if she gets average grades when the term is done.

bc1c72b00d43b4415ce848a2bdf85dbf9c114f04.png
    Then I have my little future celebrity-chef who is also enrolled in Foxbury and is the main in this PT. She has no previous skills so she is doing the ordinary degree there.

6d121f58cc129e0c86ece38ba9fc15f54c8f1925.png
    They ran into each other once in the pub, now I only control my main sim but it was fun to see the other sim that I enrolled. Might experiment a bit more with these in future PT's. See if I can get a few more sims that I like enrolled in school at the same time in different arrangements. Haven't tried a dorm with a specific club yet. Wanted my sim to live in her own house this term.

0ba0da3d34d04f3b2c73cf96d29a010c4c9451d4.png
    Oh.. bonus-pic just because I am really having a lot of fun with this PT. I love my little sim and her down-run house.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I think switching between terms (before enrollment) is the best way to go but hopefully EA will add an option to let us freeze the progress of played sims attending university, in the same way that we can freeze aging for played sims when we are not actually playing them. Or maybe a modder can do it.

I just had my sims finish a term.
    I am not re-enrolling them because I am dorm testing and I want to swap in the updated dorm.
    But this seems like it would be a good time to leave them there and play my other sims in the rival school.

I am hoping that the current sims, not enrolled but living in a Britechester custom dorm, will just stay there and not enroll while I play other sims in Foxbury. Anyone know if this is the case?

That would be great because I would hope to see them around and have my other sims visit them
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • rachelwolferachelwolfe Posts: 110 Member
    Anyone know of a mod fix to this yet? Or know of a modder who's working on it?
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    edited December 2019
    CK213 wrote: »
    I think switching between terms (before enrollment) is the best way to go but hopefully EA will add an option to let us freeze the progress of played sims attending university, in the same way that we can freeze aging for played sims when we are not actually playing them. Or maybe a modder can do it.

I just had my sims finish a term.
    I am not re-enrolling them because I am dorm testing and I want to swap in the updated dorm.
    But this seems like it would be a good time to leave them there and play my other sims in the rival school.

I am hoping that the current sims, not enrolled but living in a Britechester custom dorm, will just stay there and not enroll while I play other sims in Foxbury. Anyone know if this is the case?

That would be great because I would hope to see them around and have my other sims visit them

They will not re-enroll while you play other houses. I'm not 100% sure they can stay in a dorm when not being enrolled though, but if you did not get the "pack your bags" note, they probably can :)

Added: My sims need to be enrolled in order to stay in a dorm. So if one takes breaks between terms, the sim will need to find alternative housing. Bummer, but unless they fill the dorm with their personal belongings, not impossible to maintain.
    Post edited by Simmerville on
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Rotational play is becoming more difficult with each new pack we add. At least it seems that way for me. Not too long ago I had a couple saves with 20 households. Now I have downsized those saves to include only three households I rotate through. With pets and toddlers in these households, it seems I am always returning to my lots and finding pets sick and starving and toddler needs totally in the red. The one thing that doesn't change seems to be my Sims' gardens. The plants are always the same as when I left the lot. I have played without mods and CC so I know this isn't because of anything I added to the game. But if DU adds to the difficulty factor of being a rotational player, I doubt I will ever buy it. With MCCC I have turned down the motive decay for pets and toddlers, but it is still a less than perfect solution. But I have to wonder why garden plants remain unchanged while I am away from certain lots, other Sims' needs are never in the red when I return, yet the pets' and toddlers' needs seem to be taking such a drastic hit whenever I am doing a rotation. Because of this, if I do decide to buy DU, none of my YA Sims will ever live in a dorm. They will live at home and commute to and from university. Which kind of takes away from the idea of experiencing the whole campus lifestyle. My uni students can still take part in some of the activities offered, but not on the same level as someone living in a dorm.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,559 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    The term continues even if it’s not the active household. In my experience, they automatically re-enrolled and got a B and B-. It seems to have given them a random number of classes.
    ** ETA: Sorry, I was confused about this. That is how it works for other playable sims, but not the sims you’ve played yourself. For the sims you’ve played yourself, I’ve experienced 2 different things when rotating back to them. In one, I was immediately given a chance to re-enroll, and it appeared he got an average grade because his GPA went from an A+ to an A. In the other household (another dorm), I returned to find them On Probation, but I get an option to enroll again and the Merit Scholarships are still there, so that’s weird. **

So if you want your sims to graduate with honors, make sure you play them through their entire term each time. You will lose scholarships if you do not immediately re-enroll when the term ends, though I believe you can re-apply later, and you’ll be given 4 hours to pack up your things if you are living in Uni housing.

So glad I found this thread, as I was going to ask about rotational play. My thought was to have the four siblings split up; two in Britechester and the other two in Foxbury. But it sounds as if that doesn't work well. I've yet to try out Foxbury, being focused on my four Sims, all in the same dorm together, while I was experimenting with a great mod, that turns out to be a bit buggy. The long and the short of it, is the only girl and youngest of the four Sims got kidnapped. The boys were terrified and the mod got stuck in a loop that wouldn't allow for them to resolve their sister's situation. I ended up losing her, in the long run and decided to restart this family. My thought was to perhaps send all of them to Foxbury, or to split them two and two. Now, based on your assessment, and what some have said about the problems with it, I will enroll them in Britechester after all. But, they are still in the same Sim week of play. It will be a few gaming sessions before I'm ready to take them to uni. And yes, the three older boys, despite their bouts of tears and their never-ending state of terror, managed to all graduate with honors. I'm a very proud Player of Sims. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    My sim is on her second term now, it has been fun. Think that when I try this in my main save I will do two terms concentrated on one household taking three classes per term. After that the sim will get a break for a while letting me play other households for a bit. Then when I am done I will return my sim to Uni again.

Focus on Uni for a bit and then make holidays in order to play the rest of the world.

Will try this in my side save when the current term ends.
  • UnDutchableUnDutchable Posts: 41 Member

So... I can't send all my sims' kids to university at the same time without having some of them fail randomly because I'm not playing them?

I rotate between about twenty families and I was really looking forward to seeing all the former childhood friends and high school sweethearts running around doing their own thing while I'm playing. I can get behind playing an entire semester before switching, I already played from Monday to Monday anyway. But do I seriously have to send them back home "on a break" at the end of a semester just to make sure they're not failing the next time I play them? What is the point of an entire university neighborhood if I can't fill it with my own sims? Foxbury is empty enough as it is! :/
    So... I can't send all my sims' kids to university at the same time without having some of them fail randomly because I'm not playing them?

I rotate between about twenty families and I was really looking forward to seeing all the former childhood friends and high school sweethearts running around doing their own thing while I'm playing. I can get behind playing an entire semester before switching, I already played from Monday to Monday anyway. But do I seriously have to send them back home "on a break" at the end of a semester just to make sure they're not failing the next time I play them? What is the point of an entire university neighborhood if I can't fill it with my own sims? Foxbury is empty enough as it is! :/

I rotate between 60 households, and I have as many students as I can handle in the same dorm. With some notes on the side and a lot of pause, I'm now trying 8 active students. This far I handled 6, and all but 1 graduated with Honors. I think it's too easy to achieve top grades, so I actually would like it if some of them get a B. The biggest challenge I find is to apply for university beforehand. I suspect the office won't handle your application until your sim has been played actively for a minimum of hours, and because I jump a lot between houses, it takes forever for them to get the acceptance note (even ifg checking on computer/phone). So, I tend to first move future students into a common household, then play them all while they wait for the accept. Then it's also a tad easier to move them into the same dorm from there.

If you have all in the same dorm you won't need to play so many new lots. And, it's only class hours you will need to watch them. Make them do schoolwork during the day. Then you can switch to other houses in evenings and weekends without harming the students' grade.
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    In order to resolve this oversight of rotational players I've turned one of the dorms on each campus into residential housing. I'm just sending the sims I want to live there and go to uni and pretending it's technically a dorm, then when I'm done with that term they don't have to leave the "dorms" while I switch to other households.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
    In order to resolve this oversight of rotational players I've turned one of the dorms on each campus into residential housing. I'm just sending the sims I want to live there and go to uni and pretending it's technically a dorm, then when I'm done with that term they don't have to leave the "dorms" while I switch to other households.

I do something similar. I turned one of the Gibbs Hill townhouses into a dorm, and will send most of my students there, regardless of University. Let's hope EA will make it so that current students don't have to leave a dorm unless the lot is actively played.
  • FrenchMiss13FrenchMiss13 Posts: 28 Member
    I have a save where I rotate between all my favorite premade households in the game. I sent 2 students to start university and moved them into a dorm together. I switched to play another household that was expecting (I wanted to be able to play through the birth and name the baby) but when I came back to my uni sims, one had not yet started her first term while the other had completed her first term with a D+ and was on academic probation! I don't understand how this happened and I really wanted both sims to graduate with high honors :(
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    I have aging off and all the homes in my neighborhoods have my own sim families in them, i aged the teens to young adult and got the dorms set up, all of them were enrolled and set up where I want them. I go to play the 1st dorm and they are all on probation. Seriously EA?
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    Oh so now i checked and all the sims in the dorms have from c d f+ ???? I'm so not buying the sims 5 if it ever even gets there
  • MHsimsFanMHsimsFan Posts: 154 Member
    Anyone played more with this? I just bought University today as I don't have any teen sims ready to go, but it was on half price so I couldn't resist. I was going to wait until someone came up with a good plan for managing the rotational play, even with a mod. But it doesn't appear that there is one yet. I have read through the other posts and was hoping someone who has been learning how to manage this can confirm my assessment below...

Currently, how I read it, is that you will need to play your university sim at least the length of the semester before rotating to the next family. That student then needs to 'not' re-enroll as you play the other families. However, they will need to move into another 'non-dorm" lot or a dorm which as been re-designated as residential or else they will be kicked out. When you come back to that sim, you will need to re-enroll them in university again and move them back into the dorm. Can they just pick up where they left off? Do they need to start all over again?
    edited January 2020
    MHsimsFan wrote: »
    Anyone played more with this? I just bought University today as I don't have any teen sims ready to go, but it was on half price so I couldn't resist. I was going to wait until someone came up with a good plan for managing the rotational play, even with a mod. But it doesn't appear that there is one yet. I have read through the other posts and was hoping someone who has been learning how to manage this can confirm my assessment below...

Currently, how I read it, is that you will need to play your university sim at least the length of the semester before rotating to the next family. That student then needs to 'not' re-enroll as you play the other families. However, they will need to move into another 'non-dorm" lot or a dorm which as been re-designated as residential or else they will be kicked out. When you come back to that sim, you will need to re-enroll them in university again and move them back into the dorm. Can they just pick up where they left off? Do they need to start all over again?

Yes, they will pick up where they left concerning the degree. The game doesn't really care what term your sim will start. Game is only counting how many classes they got. So if your sim already got a decent grade in 6 classes, you will mix a set of new classes for your next term. Each sim must take minimum 3 terms (each 4 classes), but if you fail with just one class/subject, you will need to take a final term for the one class only, so maybe it's just as strategic aiming for 4 terms.

The other students in the dorm might change though, so your sim will not always pick up with the social life as he left it. But I guess some NPC students are replaced occasionally anyway. Basically - the only difference is the moving out and back in between terms. Unless you clutter up your dorm room, I don't think there is a lot of hassle.

Added thanks @ChampandGirlie - needing to reapply for scholarships for each term is definitely a hassle... how could I forget about that - it actually costed my students a lot that I started next term before scholarships were granted.
    Post edited by Simmerville on
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    As a fellow rotational player, I'm ok with switching households at the end of each semester but I'd like to be able to keep students enrolled and maintaining their scholarships while I play other households.

I understand having to move out if you aren't continuing but there should be a recognition that the player may be playing rotationally and so may just want to keep a household "in school" to come back to later. That would be more like how rotational play is in the rest of the game.

I'd also like to have a bunch of my own sims in different households peppered about and running into each other, only graduating when I finish playing them through the semesters. I hope that's something that they can patch in. I also like the ability to take breaks from university around the time of major holidays.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of "punishing" a sim by risking losing scholarship money just because I want to age up different sims in the same generation and to have some sims that I recognize at the university along with the new random students.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    As a fellow rotational player, I'm ok with switching households at the end of each semester but I'd like to be able to keep students enrolled and maintaining their scholarships while I play other households.

I understand having to move out if you aren't continuing but there should be a recognition that the player may be playing rotationally and so may just want to keep a household "in school" to come back to later. That would be more like how rotational play is in the rest of the game.

I'd also like to have a bunch of my own sims in different households peppered about and running into each other, only graduating when I finish playing them through the semesters. I hope that's something that they can patch in. I also like the ability to take breaks from university around the time of major holidays.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of "punishing" a sim by risking losing scholarship money just because I want to age up different sims in the same generation and to have some sims that I recognize at the university along with the new random students.

You can accomplish this after the first term - played Sims will remain enrolled indefinitely and continue in student housing while you don't play them, but they get "frozen" at the end of their last active term. This means you need to do the following:

1.) Enroll them all on the same day, and move them wherever they should go. You will only get to play one households first term, so I'd suggest not enrolling the others in more than 1 class.

2.) Play to the end of term one in this household. Immediately before re-enrollment is offered, exit the active household. You can try to juggle a couple households with limited class loads, rotating each day to get more control.

3.) Move onto the next household. You'll get to re-enroll that household in term 2. Play only this household through term 2, if you only enrolled them in one class in term 1 you'll control them for their 11 remaining credits.

4.) Keep rotating right before term ends. Each household will be on the start of their 2nd term in this round, but on the next round they'll all get to play their 3rd term. You can insert other households as desired as long as you rotate out of uni right before term ends. You'll never have to move out or lose your scholarships and it costs you missing control for only 1 credit in term 1.

Overall it's working pretty well for me rotationally as long as I don't miss getting out before the term closes out.
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
    I do it the same way as starcrush. I play rotationally, but altered the time I switch household to Friday, 4.59 p.m., since DU came out. When I come back to a household in the next rotation, they will still get the same grade as they would have gotten when I left them. I take care that the term always starts on Monday for each student I enroll. That's the most difficult thing of it as it sometimes takes a few days to get the acceptance letter.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • MHsimsFanMHsimsFan Posts: 154 Member
    starcrunch wrote: »

You can accomplish this after the first term - played Sims will remain enrolled indefinitely and continue in student housing while you don't play them, but they get "frozen" at the end of their last active term. This means you need to do the following:

1.) Enroll them all on the same day, and move them wherever they should go. You will only get to play one households first term, so I'd suggest not enrolling the others in more than 1 class.

2.) Play to the end of term one in this household. Immediately before re-enrollment is offered, exit the active household. You can try to juggle a couple households with limited class loads, rotating each day to get more control.

3.) Move onto the next household. You'll get to re-enroll that household in term 2. Play only this household through term 2, if you only enrolled them in one class in term 1 you'll control them for their 11 remaining credits.

4.) Keep rotating right before term ends. Each household will be on the start of their 2nd term in this round, but on the next round they'll all get to play their 3rd term. You can insert other households as desired as long as you rotate out of uni right before term ends. You'll never have to move out or lose your scholarships and it costs you missing control for only 1 credit in term 1.

Overall it's working pretty well for me rotationally as long as I don't miss getting out before the term closes out.

I'm sure this is much simpler that it appear :open_mouth: I re-read your post multiple times and I think it makes sense. What you're saying is that for the first term, once you've added all the households you plan to take through university, you only add a full slate of classes for one household and enroll the others in only one class? They will make it through this one class without flunking out?
    This is all very insightful @starcrunch and @83bienchen. As mentioned above, it sounds like you add a bunch of households in the first semester. You give each student in the households that you are not playing one class. You play one main household during the term. After the exams are done for that household, you switch in the rotation before the notice to move out? This doesn't impact their grades?

I already am actively playing a sim's first term in Foxbury but I might consider this later on when I send more sims at once. It's my first time playing Foxbury so this one is kind of a tester. Anyway, thanks for sharing that.
    edited January 2020
    I've tried for several students and the grades remained the same. I do it a bit different than starcrunch though.
    I just enroll the current household Sim(s) on Friday evening as soon as I start to play with the household. They then actively do their term which starts on Monday. Shortly before it finishes (4.59 pm), I save.
    I then stay for another hour (6 p.m.) to see their grades, but do not save again. Instead I go to manage worlds without saving (--- This step can of course be skipped if you're not too curious to see the grades ---)
    and then rotate to the next household. When I come back in the next rotation, the Sim can just start the next term, nothing is lost, they don't have to leave their dorm (if they live in one) and keep their scholarship.
    That way, I play all my university Sims actively and control their grades.
    Post edited by 83bienchen on
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I've tried for several students and the grades remained the same. I do it a bit different than starcrunch though.
    I just enroll the current household Sim(s) on Friday evening as soon as I start to play with the household. They then actively do their term which starts on Monday. Shortly before it finishes (4.59 pm), I save.
    I then stay for another hour (6 p.m.) to see their grades, but do not save again. Instead I go to manage worlds without saving (--- This step can of course be skipped if your not too curious to see the grades ---)
    and then rotate to the next household. When I come back in the next rotation, the Sim can just start the next term, nothing is lost, they don't have to leave their dorm (if they live in one) and keep their scholarship.
    That way, I play all my university Sims actively and control their grades.

Thanks for answering that. It's very interesting.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top