Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Homes in Literature Build Challenge: *CLOSED*

Comments

• mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    Hi @Taoron! I stumbled upon this thread reading the Friday highlights and it sounded like a fun challenge to try out. I've built my version of their chalet and am getting ready to take pictures.
    My question is - do I have to show every angle of the build like in BnS, or will it be enough with just a general idea of the build? You guessed right, I'm not a fan of taking 50+ pictures. o:)
  • TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member
    mannanna wrote: »
    Hi @Taoron! I stumbled upon this thread reading the Friday highlights and it sounded like a fun challenge to try out. I've built my version of their chalet and am getting ready to take pictures.
    My question is - do I have to show every angle of the build like in BnS, or will it be enough with just a general idea of the build? You guessed right, I'm not a fan of taking 50+ pictures. o:)

A general idea is fineI usually take 50+ and put my favorite 20-30 in my Imgur album to post. I get all click happy. LOL I'd love to see top down or each floor and the outside landscaping along with the interior.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done and welcome! I'm glad you found it.
    @Taoron Thank you, I think I got the general idea :) I am okay with click happy, but sorting them is a "where is that green puke emoji" lol.
  • rikaoceanrikaocean Posts: 24 Member
    Hi @Taoron. I am so excited to be back and building. I haven't had a computer for a couple of years. Love the challenge. You have inspired me to re-read A Farewell to Arms (well listening to it it while I build) Looking forward to posting, but don't want to until I have finished the book. One question for you. When I enter, do I need to do all three challenges- build, room, and sims? Or can I pick one?
    Thanks and looking forward to seeing all the builds.
    rikaocean wrote: »
    Hi @Taoron. I am so excited to be back and building. I haven't had a computer for a couple of years. Love the challenge. You have inspired me to re-read A Farewell to Arms (well listening to it it while I build) Looking forward to posting, but don't want to until I have finished the book. One question for you. When I enter, do I need to do all three challenges- build, room, and sims? Or can I pick one?
    Thanks and looking forward to seeing all the builds.

You can choose to do one, two or all three of the challenges. It's all up to you. =)
    Welcomne back! I can't wait to see what you come up with!
  • AliSim19AliSim19 Posts: 443 Member
    edited December 2019
    BUILD ENTRY FORM
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - Challenge #2 Small Wooden Swiss House - 'A Farewell to Arms'
    FORUM ID: Alisim19
    ORIGIN ID: Aliana101
    NEW LOT LINK: Mountain Lake Chalet
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW: Mountain Lake Chalet Slideshow

ENTRY DETAILS:
    I was determined to get an entry in this time :) The build was supposed to be in Granite Falls 50x50 but the trees made screenshots tricky and the lighting was doing weird things so it got moved to Willow Creek, and wound being uploaded from there too....first shot is original location however I think it still works in Willow Creek for most shots.
    My vision of a Swiss mountain side didn't quite translate into Sims 4 slopes that don't allow for paint, so I went with the Granite Falls overgrown hills instead - (it might load slowly but seems to play fine once it has ;) Lt Henry & Catherine have their own lake with a small boat (irritating that I couldn't make it usable but nvm!) where they can also swim and fish, and Catherine and her baby bump will certainly need to slog their way up the hill in winter (winter views in last shots in slideshow). I tried to make it look as if the path continues up the mountain past the house, and cluttered the ground floor apartment a lot more than the upstairs where they’ve just moved in with what they could carry on the boat.
    Exterior just me, interiors mostly done by Assistant Designer.....I think I deleted different PC's about 5 times, not sure she really comprehends a time without the internet haha :D

Thank you @Taoron for an excellent challenge, I had lots of fun with this :)

CREDITS: No art but used awesome spliced plants from @mcrudd and @SheriGR

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two please)
    7SKkJFK.png

Pxc4ZVe.png

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    Very beautiful mountain lake chalet build! @AliSim19 :) The outdoors areas are so very lovely! The rocks, pretty flowers, hill, pathway and steps, lake,waterfall and boat in the water are so very nice! The terrainwork is so very great! Sims will enjoy going fishing in the lake, Very nice exterior design of the chalet and pretty flower box windows! Very nice campfire and outdoors grill and dining area and great nook area for playing horseshoes. Very nice gardening area to enjoy growing plants in the planters. Very beautiful and detailed furnishing and layout of the interior! Each of the rooms are very lovely! They have each been designed so very well to suit the era! Very nice colour scheme and the wall patterns are lovely! Very pretty floral wall pattern in some of the rooms.
    The build would have involved such a lot of work and time, and the both the outdoors and indoors areas are so very lovely! :)
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    @AliSim19 Beautiful build! I want to move in - and in that location. Wow! <3 Thank you so much for using my plants and for the tag.
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
    Thank you so much @rosemow and @SheriGR 😊 😊
  • wendyologywendyology Posts: 395 Member
    @AliSim19 Beautiful cottage!

They need something along the lines of an "analog writing machine" aka a typewriter. I'm going to have to go into the uni expansion and see if any of the "research machines" look old enough. Or just sneak a laptop into personal inventory and claim it was a gift from HG Wells.
    ENTRY FORM
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - Challenge #2 Small Wooden Swiss House - 'A Farewell to Arms'
    FORUM ID:Mannanna
    ORIGIN ID:Mannanna

NEW LOT LINK: Alpine Cottage
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW:here

ENTRY DETAILS: I envisioned the chalet being an older building and slightly overgrown since the couple downstairs are also older ( and maybe owners ). The furnishings on the upper floor came from previous renters and the older couple therefor also a little worn. The bassinet was given to them by a neighbor.
    MOO was messing with me and randomly decided to remove some grass sometimes when I was testing my build so I eventually decided to delete the grass growing in the back corner of the lot. The pictures were taken before but I think it's such a small change so I didn't retake the pics.
    CREDITS: A couple of black/white pictures by Livele.

MMOgKYJ.png
    WB2F6Dg.png
    Alpine Cottage is a very lovely, warm and homely home! @mannanna :) Very nice exterior design, wall textures, and pretty flowerbox windows! The outdoors areas are lovely! Very nice trees and plants! The clothes line and wishing well are nice touches and very nice area for cooking on the bbq and eating outdoors. Sims will enjoy painting on the easel under the shade of the tree. It nice there is a bee hive and a gardening box to enjoy growing plants. Very lovely and warm interior colours and homely furnishings! The wooden walls are very nice, and give a lovely feel to the home. The type of furniture used suits the theme well. Very nice calming living room fireplace sitting area for Sims to rest near the fire and listen to gramaphone music. The candies on the table and the wall wreath are pretty! Very nice furnishing of the bedrooms and the patterned beds are nice.
    It is a very lovely home! :)
    edited January 2020
    Thank you @wendyology :) I'm sure there must be something to use for a typewriter but I'm having a bit of an addiction to limiting my packs for each build and couldn't find anything in seasons or outdoor retreat.......have to say though, sneaking something in through an inventory is inspired haha :D

@mannanna Oh my, how lovely!! I love the shape of your cottage and rooms, and your landscaping is divine....just what I was imagining before I got sidetracked with building a lake and mountain, but I don't think I could have nailed it like you have! Gorgeous interior too, love it all :)
    Post edited by AliSim19 on
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,032 Member
    very pretty homes @AliSim19 and @mannanna B)<3!

I haven't read this particular book, so, I'll build a different time @Taoron B)!
    4kkjdXo.png

Thank you sweet @rosemow for taking the time to review my build <3

I'm pleased you like it @AliSim19, thank you! I didn't want to peek at your build before I had posted mine and now I have had time to look at it. I really like how you built the stairs/walkway up to the house and the illusion of them continuing and your "fireplace" is such a nifty idea! Love it!
    Thanks too @coolsim9999999 :)
    You're welcome @mannanna :)!
    4kkjdXo.png

You don't need to have read the book @coolsim9999999 I set this one up as a free build, bsed on my description and what The Google can tell you. =)
    o.k. :)! I'll try to get something in @Taoron B)!

I've read so many books, too because I was an English major B)!
    4kkjdXo.png

edited January 2020
    I collect old books and read a lot because I'm old. LOL j/k I've always loved to read.

I do love rescuing old books, when I can though. My oldest is a 1753 Shakespeare. The Little Women copy I just finished is 100 years old. I'm not in the process of trying to grab a complete Hardy Boys Collection with original copies from the 20s and filling in with copies from the 1930s.

My favorite item(s) is when I was playing Jaques, in 'As You Like it', the first time, I picked up an 1895 copy of the text. A week later, I found a book report of the same book, written in 1895, from Fulton High School in Ohio.
    I just discovered that because I am a new member and don't have enough posts yet, I cannot use links or pictures! I am going to copy and paste it anyway so you can copy and paste....hopefully. Anyway, here is my entry.

BUILD ENTRY FORM
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - #2 Swiss House in "A Farewell to Arms"

FORUM ID: rikaocean
    ORIGIN ID: rikaocean

NEW LOT LINK: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/D1335B502DCA11EA886D4BBF48D73738?searchtype=ea_origin_id&time=all&category=all&searchquery=rikaocean&sortby=downloads&max=50&maxis=false

LINK TO SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/BdWfEj8

ENTRY DETAILS: A cozy Swiss House to escape from the world. Frederic and Catherine and baby to be have the upstairs and a separate apartment for another couple is downstairs. I made a shared entryway and a shared bathroom since this story takes place during WWI- plumbing in the Swiss Mountains was most likely at a minimum. I thoroughly enjoyed this build and it's my first success using the terrain tool.
    CREDITS:
    PICTURES:Wish I could, but I cant yet- so definitely check out my imgur images.
    edited January 2020
    rikaocean wrote: »
    I just discovered that because I am a new member and don't have enough posts yet, I cannot use links or pictures! I am going to copy and paste it anyway so you can copy and paste....hopefully. Anyway, here is my entry.

BUILD ENTRY FORM
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - #2 Swiss House in "A Farewell to Arms"

FORUM ID: rikaocean
    ORIGIN ID: rikaocean

NEW LOT LINK: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/D1335B502DCA11EA886D4BBF48D73738?searchtype=ea_origin_id&time=all&category=all&searchquery=rikaocean&sortby=downloads&max=50&maxis=false
    00.jpg
    Q8d7rXQ.png

LINK TO SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/BdWfEj8

ENTRY DETAILS: A cozy Swiss House to escape from the world. Frederic and Catherine and baby to be have the upstairs and a separate apartment for another couple is downstairs. I made a shared entryway and a shared bathroom since this story takes place during WWI- plumbing in the Swiss Mountains was most likely at a minimum. I thoroughly enjoyed this build and it's my first success using the terrain tool.
    CREDITS:
    PICTURES:Wish I could, but I cant yet- so definitely check out my imgur images.

This is your home @rikaocean :)
    Your home is very lovely! @rikaocean :) Very nice exterior design, wood walls, great roofing, pretty flowerbox windows and hanging baskets, and the terrain work is great! Very pretty pictures of the home, rocks and trees covered in snow! Very great design of the front steps entrance area! Great outdoors laundry area! Very lovely and homely furnishing of the interior! The colours and natural wall textures are warming and very nice! Each of the two apartments are very nice! Very pretty curtains used! The wooden hearts, floral wreath, wall plates in the bed areas and hanging pans and herbs in the kitchen nooks are very nice home touches!
    It is a very nice home! :)
    Thanks for grabbing that @rosemow

I['m going to bulk comment on everyone's builds, when the challenge is finished. I LOVE what IU am seeing so far and staring at all of the pictures is transporting me back to the book. Y'all so talented! ♥
    Thank you @rosemow for posting my pics. And thank you for the lovely review. It's nice to be back in the community
  • GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    BUILD ENTRY FORM
    FORUM ID: Gwiniel
    ORIGIN ID: Gwiniel
    LOT LINK: Alpine Chalet

ENTRY DETAILS: Tried Google searching Swiss architecture and went with Chalet of deep wood color hoping it is somewhat the style of the era and location in the book.

J2l5NZS.jpg
    2sKPfkA.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top