Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 AI is impossible!

Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
The AI of TS4 is honestly driving me nuts. Especially in libraries. Librarians themselves constantly insist on pestering my sims while they are doing homework, and it's becoming infuriating.

I purposely take my sims to the library to do their homework, because of the lot trait, and you would expect the AI of sims in libraries to make it so that they are less likely to chat, because it's a library..... But instead sims behave like they are in a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 bar and chat all the time, whether they are reading books, or are in the computer. The librarian NPC is no exception and he/she will keep on trying to chat with my sim to which I constantly have to cancel the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 autonomous chat interaction. I really don't know who coded this stupid AI behaviour in libraries, but someone needs to change it and make it better.

Where are the librarians that go "shhhhhhhhh"? Because we honestly need those in TS4....(funnily enough there's a "shhhh" interaction that came with Movie Hangout which they could give librarians but I'd imagine they'd be constantly doing that since sims don't shut the hell up).
mHdgPlU.jpg?1
Post edited by Sigzy05 on

Comments

• Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I recently ended up killing an angry librarian, because she would not stop pestering my Sim who was doing research. Something that is making me snap is that you can't always cancel it when an NPC has decided to talk to your Sim and THAT I find absolutely infuriating. I resort to traveling to a different lot in order to avoid such an NPC. It makes me really appreciate some of the more controversial mods out there :|

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    I greatly dislike the TS4 AI autonomy in general and the priorities it has where nonsensical things trumps more important concerns.

I can understand if the librarian is feeling lonely when the social bar gets to a point where it is required to interact as the priority comes to the surface (when it goes yellow from green) and in the instance where the right priority is put to the front and acted on, i don't have an issue with that, but when they are constantly chatting to your sim?

i've noticed that sims not under your control, they hardly chat to each other and it would be great if the priority interaction allowed the librarian to chat with other sims that you don't currently control. in fact sims in general should be more chatty to each other rather than bothering just your sims all the time.

i could list many instances where nonsensical things before more important than things that you sims needs.

1. Getting a cup of coffee over sleep when tired. Coffee is the last thing a sim needs when tired.
    2. Pregnant sims getting coffee. It does no good for the child taking down caffine, but if it is required, one cup of coffee should be the limit regardless and it shouldn't be a priority at all.
    3. Cups of water after light exercise, none stop without fail (despite a recent patch suggesting it was fixed).
    4. Cooking food or grabbing a plate of food when the sim has just eaten recently.
    5. Sims continue working out past the fully filthy stage when in clubs and refuse to take to the shower. Those not in clubs do something similar from time to time.
    6. Sims not putting away books half the time when in clubs (and it is worth noting that the MC fix for books has no effect when it happens either).
    7. Sims stand around doing nothing for a bit of time on some occasions.
    8. Famous sims prioritize "react in disgust" over any other activity they were about to engage in when a sim is nearby or pet is nearby, this leads to point 7 frequently. (i would like that react in disgust removed)
    9. Sims that get the pristine reputation often have other sims stop and clap or jump in excitement and whatever it was they were doing they stop leading to point 7. (i'd like the reaction to that either removed or sims hold the last order in memory so when they do react, they can get back to what it was they were doing instead of standing around without instruction).
    10. You take another sim with you not in your household to say the geekcon, while your sim does geeky things, that other sim just stands there doing nothing or playing on their phone. if a sim in the group really has no interest in what is going on, they should be allowed to leave the group and head out instead of standing there doing nothing.

I can keep going.
    Sufficed to say, the librarian is just one more to the list. it would be great if it were dealt with, the whole thing. i don't know if it is possible to get the whole thing looked at though.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Librarians never even spawn in my game.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    The problem is that I don't think the librarian is allowed to do much. They put books away, clean desks, but not many choices, and one of them is to talk to your sim. My sim actually gets talked to more in the library than in a nightclub, because everyone is busy dancing and drinking (and there are more sims in general).
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    ravynwolvf wrote: »
    The problem is that I don't think the librarian is allowed to do much. They put books away, clean desks, but not many choices, and one of them is to talk to your sim. My sim actually gets talked to more in the library than in a nightclub, because everyone is busy dancing and drinking (and there are more sims in general).

i find going to the nightclub a bit irritating because my sims is chatting to others. it is only irritating when it is my loner sim getting chatted to though, with any other sim it is fine. Loners should have the choice to automatically refuse to chat to anyone when they come to chat to the loner, somewhat similar in attempting to approach a celebrity for an introduction.
  • Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited December 2019
    Hoverael wrote: »
    I greatly dislike the TS4 AI autonomy in general and the priorities it has where nonsensical things trumps more important concerns.

I can understand if the librarian is feeling lonely when the social bar gets to a point where it is required to interact as the priority comes to the surface (when it goes yellow from green) and in the instance where the right priority is put to the front and acted on, i don't have an issue with that, but when they are constantly chatting to your sim?

i've noticed that sims not under your control, they hardly chat to each other and it would be great if the priority interaction allowed the librarian to chat with other sims that you don't currently control. in fact sims in general should be more chatty to each other rather than bothering just your sims all the time.

i could list many instances where nonsensical things before more important than things that you sims needs.

1. Getting a cup of coffee over sleep when tired. Coffee is the last thing a sim needs when tired.
    2. Pregnant sims getting coffee. It does no good for the child taking down caffine, but if it is required, one cup of coffee should be the limit regardless and it shouldn't be a priority at all.
    3. Cups of water after light exercise, none stop without fail (despite a recent patch suggesting it was fixed).
    4. Cooking food or grabbing a plate of food when the sim has just eaten recently.
    5. Sims continue working out past the fully filthy stage when in clubs and refuse to take to the shower. Those not in clubs do something similar from time to time.
    6. Sims not putting away books half the time when in clubs (and it is worth noting that the MC fix for books has no effect when it happens either).
    7. Sims stand around doing nothing for a bit of time on some occasions.
    8. Famous sims prioritize "react in disgust" over any other activity they were about to engage in when a sim is nearby or pet is nearby, this leads to point 7 frequently. (i would like that react in disgust removed)
    9. Sims that get the pristine reputation often have other sims stop and clap or jump in excitement and whatever it was they were doing they stop leading to point 7. (i'd like the reaction to that either removed or sims hold the last order in memory so when they do react, they can get back to what it was they were doing instead of standing around without instruction).
    10. You take another sim with you not in your household to say the geekcon, while your sim does geeky things, that other sim just stands there doing nothing or playing on their phone. if a sim in the group really has no interest in what is going on, they should be allowed to leave the group and head out instead of standing there doing nothing.

I can keep going.
    Sufficed to say, the librarian is just one more to the list. it would be great if it were dealt with, the whole thing. i don't know if it is possible to get the whole thing looked at though.

Lots of these have to do with the way the game is programmed. Coffee for instance. Depending on the hours, a sim won't use their beds unless you tell them to. If it's too late, for example, they try and take naps or drink coffee, because the game wants them awake again by a certain time and blocks autonomy sleeping at times. A lot of these though, your best bet for starters is to use mods. There's one called SCAM, that you can turn off almost every autonomous action individually. I love it for little things like the react in disgust you mentioned, the clapping, playing on phones...I even used it to have my djs play only one type of music I preferred (the lesser of ten evils) by shutting off autonomy on all the others. Lots of ways to be original with it.
  • Options
    Nindigo wrote: »
    I recently ended up killing an angry librarian, because she would not stop pestering my Sim who was doing research. Something that is making me snap is that you can't always cancel it when an NPC has decided to talk to your Sim and THAT I find absolutely infuriating. I resort to traveling to a different lot in order to avoid such an NPC. It makes me really appreciate some of the more controversial mods out there :|

I have resorted to make a room in the library lot with a locked door so that only my sim gets in, because otherwise it's a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 nightmare.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Librarians never even spawn in my game.

That's lucky :D
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 255 Member
    Do a search for Idle-Chat mods maybe over at MTS. More specifically "Zero_Idle_Chatting.package"

I have also had to zip and unload most of my rotational games since the last update.

It seems the game is getting close to the limit of its capacities. I am beginning to see it freeze badly and a quick check of stats shows close to 6 GIG of RAM being eaten by the game.

With many years experience working online in massive online realtime virtual worlds, as a code tester working directly with coders, I know when a system is at its max and being stretched beyond design intent. I think the game engine itself has been pushed too far now.
    It's simply no longer able to cope with the demands on internal AI, too many sims!
    Lots with only a small family or a couple are fine, any community lot full of sims will lag like prison stoolpidgeon.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited December 2019
    shorty943p wrote: »
    Do a search for Idle-Chat mods maybe over at MTS. More specifically "Zero_Idle_Chatting.package"

I have also had to zip and unload most of my rotational games since the last update.

It seems the game is getting close to the limit of its capacities. I am beginning to see it freeze badly and a quick check of stats shows close to 6 GIG of RAM being eaten by the game.

With many years experience working online in massive online realtime virtual worlds, as a code tester working directly with coders, I know when a system is at its max and being stretched beyond design intent. I think the game engine itself has been pushed too far now.
    It's simply no longer able to cope with the demands on internal AI, too many sims!
    Lots with only a small family or a couple are fine, any community lot full of sims will lag like prison stoolpidgeon.

I have played the game since release and it feels like sometimes the game is slower and then they patch it and it feels better, but it feels like performance definitely took a hit with Discover University. I don't understand why they made the worlds in Discover University so large, the game has a limit of 20 sims per zone unless you use mods.

As for the AI, I think the reason why it can be so annoying sometimes, especially with Discover University is because the sims are very limited in what they can do, but the game has to try and make it look like there are a lot of things that are happening on the lot. So it will do the same procedure with sims spawning on the lot and walking up and talking to you, but that does not really work well with Discovery University and the fact that your sim needs to study. The lots are too large and there is nothing to do on them. So the game has nothing else to offer except spawning sims that will try and talk to you or will waste time walking around in the zone.

• Options
    doublenoodlesdoublenoodles Posts: 89 Member

Thank you, this was very insightful. I'm playing on a good gaming laptop and have been experiencing issues with sims recently. I was worried it was my laptop but it sounds like it's the game itself struggling. The frame rate keeps dropping in my game.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Glutton sims never stop eating. Have you noticed that?
  • Options
    ierolovrr31ierolovrr31 Posts: 52 Member
    As someone who is going to school to become a library technician and who works at the university's library part-time... We don't ever just walk up and start chatting to students while they are studying.. especially in the designated "quiet zone". Our library has two floors, the main floor is a modern styled "working library" where people can be in groups and talk freely amongst themselves, while the other floor is the quiet study zone, where no loud conversations happen, only whispering is allowed if you need to talk.

But never have I walked up to or seen another librarian just walk up and start talking to students who are working, nor do we "shh" people, we usually just tell people to lower their voices :D
  • Options
    mcorralmcorral Posts: 512 Member
    I agree with you.

Yesterday I was in the library trying to do my homework and so many tried to chat with me that I finally went home angry. A library is supposed to be a place to study and read, not chat...
  • Options
    Worst thing about all of this Christmas Gift from EA!

Go into options and turn ALL Autonomy OFF, and the game still intrudes to an almost unplayable frustrating level.

It truly feels to me like some doofus wannabe coder accidentally left the inhouse test autonomy compiled into the release.
    It has happened in other systems, why not in this silly little game we pay way too much for lately.
  • Options
    EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    Pretty much all of my sims are library sims because of the lot trait, and the programming for librarians has always been ridiculous. They have been this way since the beginning of the game. If you want to see how astonishing the AI is in this game, this is where it shines. And I don't mean that in a good way.

I always make a break room somewhere for my super study sims, with a fridge, counter, shower, and bed. It's insane how the librarians become obsessed with it. They are way beyond obsessed with making food and leaving it everywhere. Cleaning it up, not so much. They make food obsessively, then leave it everywhere, then start whining about lonely they are, then start kicking stuff in distress and pestering people. Then they start obsessing about food again, and lather rinse repeat until they fall asleep on a bench or loveseat somewhere. Meanwhile, those books scattered over the library amidst all of the spoiled food? Who cares! Not the librarian!

And it always turns into a freak show for celebrities too. Who knew that place filled with dusty old books was such a great hotspot for celebrities and their entourages of paparazzi and fainting fans. Bjorn Bergesen shows up to play chess, and he's a celebrity, and the whole place goes insane. Then Dirk walks in behind him for who knows what reason. Good luck trying to walk your sim through the mad throng to the bathroom. Might as well take a nap.

The AI in this game has been it's own worst enemy from the beginning, and is only getting worse. It would be nice if something in this game would ever be logical or reasonable, but that always seems too much to ask. Of course the price they want us to pay for this experience is never too much to ask. It's something that I continue to be frustrated with when it comes to this franchise. And as long as the librarians keep reminding me of it, I always will.

We are not getting the experience we deserve with this game, and librarians are the poster children for that.
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    ravynwolvf wrote: »

they're supposed to go and route to read books when there isnt anything to do, wish they would bar the librarian from idle chatting. its become more noticeable now with university out
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited December 2019
    I hate when you are trying to have a romantic conversation then a sim that happens to be miles away decides to join the conversation. You have to wait for that sim that wanna join to walk towards you for that interaction to be completed then it turns awkward.... SMH
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    logion wrote: »

I have played the game since release and it feels like sometimes the game is slower and then they patch it and it feels better, but it feels like performance definitely took a hit with Discover University. I don't understand why they made the worlds in Discover University so large, the game has a limit of 20 sims per zone unless you use mods.

As for the AI, I think the reason why it can be so annoying sometimes, especially with Discover University is because the sims are very limited in what they can do, but the game has to try and make it look like there are a lot of things that are happening on the lot. So it will do the same procedure with sims spawning on the lot and walking up and talking to you, but that does not really work well with Discovery University and the fact that your sim needs to study. The lots are too large and there is nothing to do on them. So the game has nothing else to offer except spawning sims that will try and talk to you or will waste time walking around in the zone.

As far as DU taking an toll on performance it could be an number of things other than an large Neighborhood. I would think the better the system, the better the processing high end systems could handle. The AI system is not an tweak once and forget it may need tweaking when an new pack is introduced and bugs must be dealt with sooner than later which sadly is not done with an program like this. It appears the more packs added the more processing is needed so the specs must change even if it is an little. I myself do not have any issues with the large neighborhoods and programs tend to act differently on different systems.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I started avoiding libraries because the librarians will not leave my Sims alone. For some reason, they have to sit right next to my Sim and start chatting even when I cancel the action. Now I take my Sims to the library after 9:00 PM when there's no one there. On the other hand, it's nice that the Librarians are Young Adults instead of another adult.

I think that gym trainers are worse than librarians. There can be 15 Sims at the gym, but the trainer always targets my Sim to train which instantly starts a friendship bar which often results in the trainer becoming a good friend of my Sim even though they haven't actually met. Instead of trying to avoid trainers, I started taking my Sims to a gym late at night when there are no trainers. Unfortunately, no matter how late it is, there are always one or two premade Sims who think that the purpose of going to a gym is to chat and not to work out.

Bartenders have gotten worse with socializing too. Lately, it seems that you can't order a drink without having the bartender start chatting with your Sim or becoming part of any conversation that your Sim is trying to have with someone. In the past two weeks, I've seen numerous bartenders stop tending bar so they can sit down and chat with customers. This happens a lot at the venues that have karaoke machines.

I've also seen a new issue with some stall vendors in Casters Alley. Instead of all three vendors opening their assigned stalls, one is always standing near the fountain chatting with other Sims. I have one vendor that consistently goes to Magic HQ where he spends his time chatting with everyone. Meanwhile. his potion stall is closed.

I don't want my Sims to be anti-social but I do want them to be able to get things done quickly so they can socialize after they're done. I think that when I cancel some townie's urgent need to chat with my Sim then it should be canceled and not delayed. More often than not these townies have just entered the lot and are nowhere near my Sim which causes my Sim to stop what I have them doing while they wait for the townie. It's always an adult townie that my Sim has never met.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    I hate when you are trying to have a romantic conversation then a sim that happens to be miles away decides to join the conversation. You have to wait for that sim that wanna join to walk towards you for that interaction to be completed then it turns awkward.... SMH
    I have my Sims travel to a different neighborhood when that happens. It's infuriating to put it mildly. Another thing that "plums" me off is when NPCs decide to yell at my Sim's pet for no apparent reason. I'm using mods these days that will allow me to take my anger out at such Sims in great detail :D

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    Since the last update especially, this game has become all but unplayable, with AI and game Autonomy completely out of control.

Try turning ALL Autonomy off in game options, I did, it doesn't work. AI will still blitz you.

EA? Maxis? or the So called Guru's here, do coders even read this forum?

I've said it before and I repeat.
    THANKS for the lousy Christmas gift EA.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Fully agree with the frustration with the mess. Have also noted the potions shop vendor is routinely away and chatting, either at the fountain or at wands & tomes shop. Doesn't matter when I send a sim there, either. Maybe we need to open up one of those bug report things, to get attention if nothing else.