March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Homes in Literature Build Challenge: *CLOSED*

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    Orchard House is a lovely simversion of the Alcott home! @wendyology :) You have reflected the inspiration home so very well! Very nice exterior design! The gardening nook is great for Sims to enjoy growing plants and the clothesline is a homely touch. Very nice layout and furnishing of the interior! The Victorian style and the type of furniture used is lovely! Very nice wall patterns throughout the home. The living room is a very nice place for Sims to enjoy sitting resting on the sofas near the fire, having a drink from the globe bar and listening to gramophone music. Very nice type of dining chairs used in the dining room and the pink patterned floor rug under the table is pretty. Very nice kitchen area with the old style oven and fridge. Very lovely bedrooms! The colour schemes are very nice! Very nice curtains used.
    It is a very nice family home! :)
  • wendyologywendyology Posts: 395 Member
    @rosemow Thank you for the feedback! This was an interesting challenge as there aren't that many things appropriate to the era.
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,032 Member
    very nice house and so accurate @wendyology :)!
    4kkjdXo.png

edited December 2019
    BUILD ENTRY FORM
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - 1 Orchard House Parlor decorated for Christmas
    FORUM ID: coolsim9999999
    ORIGIN ID: coolsim9999999
    ROOM NAME: Litte Women Parlor
    I typed that too fast, but that's my room's name...lol :D!
    ROOM: (Link to where the room can be found with on The Gallery)
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/FD73D6D9204811EA8C99BA891CD6F027?category=rooms&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=coolsim9999999&max=50&maxis=false
    ENTRY DETAILS: This is the second Christmas “without Father”. Beth was presented with a piano in the parlor.
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    WEItkHO.png
    Showing most of the room
    2NkpNtq.png
    Top down view
    Post edited by coolsim9999999 on
    4kkjdXo.png

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    Little Women Parlor is a lovely Christmas themed room! @coolsim9999999 :) The festive wall garlands and pretty Christmas tree in the corner nook are very nice.Very nice wall paneling and the candle lights are calming and suit the room theme very well .The fireplace sofa and armchairs sitting and reading area is homely and warming,and the Christmas leaves and pretty blue flowers on the tables behind the sofa are very nice. Very creative design of the piano! Sims will enjoy playing or listening to piano music. The music book is a great touch!
    It is a very nice parlour room :)
    @coolsim9999999 Lovely parlor, the christmas decorations really bring the room together!
  • AliSim19AliSim19 Posts: 443 Member
    @Taoron I’m gutted and am so sorry, I’m going to miss the deadline for this one 😕 December is just manic and I thought I’d get some good build time today but got called into work - just got home at 1am and exhausted.....and will now be pretty much setting off after the school run in the morning for another extra shift - 🐸🐸🐸🐸 work interfering with build time!! It’s an awesome challenge and i might not have got my build in but thank you so much for bringing me back to such a great read 😊💖 hope you’ve loved Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights!
  • TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member
    Wonderul recreation @wendyology I was so hapopy to see the piano in the Parlor and Jo's little writing room. The family looks great! *wink* LOL The decor is lovely and being that they are not a rich family and the struggles with in game content limitations to the time period, I think you did a fantastic job!

I love it @coolsim9999999 That you also chose the moment that our Beth was given the piano made my eyes start leaking. Is that Laurie walking away from the house? What a great touch. You missed nothing and touched my heart. I love it. It's perfect, just as it is.

Not at all @AliSim19 I know this is a tough time and everyone is being pulled in this direction or that. Just seeing 2 builds on here and looking at them...I have a stupid smile on my face. No need to feel sorry. I've been bouncing around 2 different ideas for the next one and think I have settled on the one I want to do and it will be a little easier and a little less descriptive, and open to interpretation, but still a fun and interesting build, as well as being pulled from another wonderful classic.

I'm about halfway through Jane Eyre and loving it. Being the first time reading it, I'm savoring every word, every face, every emotion. He Aunt just doed and she's back at Gateshead and sending off her silly cousins. I'm quite interested to see what she does with the letter from her Uncle.

I spent some time in the used bookstore today, looking for old books and while I did not find what I was looking for, I did get some nice finds to put under the tree for myself and my wife. =) I may or may not deive directly into Wuthering Heights, but it is on my list of soon to be read. I've a bit of a hankering to jump into another Hemmingway after Jane and I part ways.
    Thank you so much @taoron :)! I'm really glad you like my entry and part of the book that I chose for the parlor at Christmas B)!
    Your Orchard House is so accurate and such a great build, Wendyology B)!
    4kkjdXo.png

edited January 2020
    Post moved
    Post edited by Taoron on

The Homes in Literature Build Challenge #2: 'A Farewell to Arms' Ernest Hemmingway

Towards the middle of the Novel, Lieutenant Frederic Henry, an American serving in the Italian Army in WWI, leaves his post after being injured and meets up with the woman he loves, Catherine Barkley; an English Nurse. They escape on a boat and end up in Switzerland, and live in a small wooden house on a mountain outside of the village of Montreaux. I would love to see that house.

This is a non-descript house, so you have free reign on it's design. Just remember that it is in the mountains and it is in Switzerland. The only thing I ask it that the house looks to be on a mountain, as in the Novel, Catherine, being pregnant at the time, has problems navigating the road to the home, in the winter months. The home is also 2 Story (Storey), with another, older couple living on the first floor. There is also a lake nearby, where they spend nice days in a small boat, at the foot of the Alps. (For some reason, I always picture the same lake that Amy and Laurie rowed in, in Little Women, so there is a connection for me, with the last challenge.) So, I would like to see the home near a lake.

Room Challenge: Please recreate a small nursery for the expecting mother. Remember, we are talking Switzerland in the first couple of decades of the 20th century.

Sims Challenge: Please create Frederic and Catherine, during their stay in Switzerland. Catherine is pregnant.

Google is your friend. Different searches will yeild quite a bit of information on this novel. There was also a movie. There are a lot of websites that also have synopsis of the novel, such as Sparknotes, Novelguide and Cram, to name a few.

I look forward to seeing your creations!

Please use the whole of hashtag #LiteraryBuildChallenge2 when you upload your creations. Any build, room or household without this hashtag will not be considered for Maxis Fave nomination.

The deadline for this challenge is Monday, January 13th , 2020 ** [no later than 23:59:59 EDT/New York Time]

BUILD ENTRY FORM
    Small Wooden Swiss House - 'A Farewell to Arms'

BUILD ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and House Name)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    NEW LOT LINK: (Link to where your build can be found on The Gallery)
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW:
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry. Please inclue Links to other resources you may have found)
    CREDITS: (Please Tag Art Creators whose art you used, if any)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two please)

ROOM ENTRY FORM
    Baby Nursery - Swiss House 'A Farewell to Arms'

ROOM ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and House Name)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    ROOM: (Link to where the room can be found with on The Gallery)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (Please create a seperate Slideshow for the Room, from your Home Emtry)
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry)
    CREDITS: (Please Tag Art Creators whose art you used, if any)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)

SIMS ENTRY FORM
    Lieutenant Frederic Henry and Catherine Barkley - 'A Frewell to Arms'

SIM ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and Family Name)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    HOUSEHOLD: (Link to where the household can be found with on The Gallery)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (Please create a seperate slideshow of the family, from the Home or Room Slideshows)
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)

• emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

OMG! I did not knew about this challenge @Taoron :o (bookmarked now).

I love Little women! I read it long, long time ago! Awesome creations @Taoron @wendyology @coolsim9999999 <3

I'm not good building real stuff, but I like that is a challenge for me! I will try to built for the next one (Oh, Hemmingway!). Thanks @Taoron o:)
    edited December 2019
    Outstanding! I look forward to seeing what you come up with @emere I'm thrilled that you found this. =)
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Oh, BTW @Taoron you can list the old challenges at the end of your first post. Something like: actual challenge, past challenges (just the book title).
    emere wrote: »
    Oh, BTW @Taoron you can list the old challenges at the end of your first post. Something like: actual challenge, past challenges (just the book title).

Thanks!
    @rosemow. Really? Awesome! I've been baking bread most of the day. I'll go look now. =) Thanks for the heads up.
  • AllearsAllears Posts: 519 Member
    Congrats @Taoron on having this challenge featured on the Friday Highlights! Well deserved! :)
    Check out my homes on the Gallery
    EA ID SassiLassi
    Gallery Link SassiLassi
    edited December 2019
    Congratulations on being highlighted in Friday Hightlights @Taoron B)<3! Thanks so much for the Maxis room nomination B)<3!
    4kkjdXo.png

Thanks all! ♥♥♥
  • AliSim19AliSim19 Posts: 443 Member
    Ooo you got another Friday mention!!! Congrats @Taoron and well deserved 😁😁😁

The new challenge looks fun, Farewell to Arms is one that ironically I have seen but not read (doesn’t happen that way very often haha) Prob a daft question given you’ve chose it for the challenge but how much better is the book than the film? Should I grab a copy? My 14 yr old is keen for me to jump into the book he’s been reading but I can prob squeeze another in between if it’s awesome.

I immediately have a picture in my head that I’ll probably fail to translate, but I’ll def get something in this time I promise! Thank you for the inspiration 😊
    @AliSim19 After reading it, I was going to jump directly into "For whom the Bell Tolls", but I needed an emotional respite, so I went to Little Women, instead. It's a wonderful book, but it hurt my heart. As far as the film is concerned, you're asking the wrong person. LOL I've never seen it, and after reading the book, I probably will not. Once I read something that I adore as much as this one, (and Little Women,) I really don't want to destroy the images of it in my mind, by someone else's hand and visions.
    Congratulations on the Friday mention! I’m excited to dig into this when I get home, I’ve already found a few cool ideas from reference photos.
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    What a lovely challenge idea @Taoron . I am sorry I missed the Little women challenge, one of my all time favourite reads. (Jane Eyre & Wuthering Heights also fantastic.) I have never read farewell to arms so I will enjoy reading something new.

Would love to do Greengables or something from Terry Pratchett in the future.
    I did this one so that you don't actually have to know or read the book.=) But I agree...Little Women was fantastic and I'm ejoying Jane right now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top