Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Script mods breaking the game?

Is anyone else having issues with script mods? My game works great without custom content / mods. When I add just custom content but no script mods, the game says it can’t load but it loads. When I add script mods, the game can’t load at all (like I can get into the worlds but whenever I try to click on a family to play, their image won’t show up and I can’t load any farther than that. If anyone else is having similar issues or has advice please let me know :)

Comments

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    edited December 2019
    That usually happens to me when a script mod is a) broken by a recent patch or b) needs another mod to function ("Xml Injector" comes to mind). It's tedious, but you should take out all your script mods and then test them each individually to find which one is the culprit.
  • MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    Thank you, I’ve started to do that right now (not sure if it was the right thing to do or not but thought it may be the only way, lol) and it’s starting to work again. Still haven’t found the culprit though :/
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    edited December 2019
    If you're going to use mods, you have to be certain you choose mods that are updated for each patch, when necessary. Try not to select a mod that hasn't been updated in quite some time. These are called orphaned mods. Although Sims4 does allow mods they don't support them, so it's up to us to select carefully. There is a specific thread for the MCCC (Master Command Control Center) mod. Those who tend that thread are very, very good at keeping us well-informed on any hot-fixes, new upgrades to the mod and will answer questions about it and its use, too. Bonxie, in particular is quick to warn us of any mod-busting patches ahead, too. Deaderpool, the creator is also very on top of any fixes that needs be had, due to a patch. Generally, he's got a hot-fix later in the same day the patch was released.

It's also a good idea to go into Origin and change your settings from automatic update. That way, you won't be caught off-guard. When you know a patch is ready, you can then go into your documents Sims 4 game folder and pull your Mods folder out, update your game, and then wait until the mods in use have either been cleared by the mod creator (or others on their behalf) and not return the Mods folder until you have the updated mods.

I'm sorry there's a mod in your folder that's doing weird things to your game. That can be a huge pain in the behind. But, you're quite right to pull them all and then retry them one at a time, until you find the culprit.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    I THINK I may have found the problem. Not completely sure, so I won’t get too excited, and I still need to keep working on them, but thanks for your help :) I will definitely change my settings so there will be no more automatic updates! Thanks again
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    @Mindsimscreate It's also very important for people who use mods/cc to know that every time you change your mods folder you need to also delete the localthumbcache file in your Sims 4 folder. This file is somehow directly related to mod and cc functionality so when you take something out of your game, the file (I think) doesn't know and is still trying to connect the mod's functionality into your gameplay. I can't say I know for sure how it works, but what I do know, and from experience, is that even a single piece of CC can muck up households if that file isn't refreshed. The game will always generate a new localthumbcache file when you restart it, so it's disposable.

My personal recommendation to you is to first back up your Sims 4 folder by making a copy and keeping it somewhere in case anything goes wrong. It's also good to update this backup periodically and keep it going just in case anything ever happens to your game.
    Next, remove the mods folder, put it aside, and delete the localthumbcache file.
    Next, do a game repair in Origin.
    Then, start your game to see if it loads okay and test your household but don't save it. If it seems okay, then test your mods individually (as you are doing) but make sure you delete that localthumbcache folder every single time you swap something out. I've gotten into the habit of deleting it regularly every time I'm about to start up my cc/modded game because I'm always adding cc. But even if you only add one single piece of CC or remove one, delete that file. It will refresh your cc/mods cache.

Good luck with your game and I hope this helps. 😊
    #Team Occult
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Yes, I'm having error problems too and I haven't isolated the problem yet. I seem to get them off lot during invites out or during the sim OCD things like getting water or other repetitive autonomous actions. Did you figure out what was causing your errors?
    edited December 2019
    @GalacticGal Do you have a link to that particular thread, I can't find it.

ETA: I think I found it.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    See if this gets you there. It's here on the Sims 4 forums under › The Sims 4 Modding & Custom Content › Gameplay Mods Then just find the MC COMMAND CENTER LOCAL HELP/CHAT THREAD.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    See if this gets you there. It's here on the Sims 4 forums under › The Sims 4 Modding & Custom Content › Gameplay Mods Then just find the MC COMMAND CENTER LOCAL HELP/CHAT THREAD.

Yep, that's the one I eventually found. I wasn't sure though so thanks for the confirmation. :)
    edited December 2019
    Hello everyone! Yes, the thing I thought was my issue actually was the problem, but I isolated it, removed it from my Mods folder, and just deleted the mod from my computer altogether. Thanks for your help! Now I know what to do if this ever happens again! And yes my computer is loading back up so I can back up the mods folder! Thanks everyone! I hope everyone’s mods folder is nice to them from now on :)
    Actually, can anyone tell me how to back up my mods folder? I tried to make a copy of it but it’s not working, thanks again!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Actually, can anyone tell me how to back up my mods folder? I tried to make a copy of it but it’s not working, thanks again!
    Honestly I just use a cloud system for that such as Google Drive.

Also helps making the resource file five layers deep so that the mods/CC work that deep, by entering and saving:

Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile */*.package
    PackedFile */*/*.package
    PackedFile */*/*/*.package
    PackedFile */*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*.package
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I don't use mods in any form for this very reason.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
    AriaMad2 wrote: »

I see why you say that, but now that I have the issue fixed and am playing my family again with mods I couldn’t imagine the game without them! 😂

I see why you say that, but now that I have the issue fixed and am playing my family again with mods I couldn’t imagine the game without them! 😂

So which one was it that was causing your trouble? I haven't found my problem mod yet.
    Catzilla wrote: »

So which one was it that was causing your trouble? I haven't found my problem mod yet.

I believe it was a mod called “Meaningful Stories” mod? By somebody by the name of Roburky, or something along those lines? Idk, if this sounds like one that might be your problem I can google it if you’d like.

I believe it was a mod called “Meaningful Stories” mod? By somebody by the name of Roburky, or something along those lines? Idk, if this sounds like one that might be your problem I can google it if you’d like.[/quote]

Ok, cool, thanks. I don't have very many mods installed and I don't have that one (it sounds like it would be interesting when it isn't broken. lol). I think it might be a bad cc somewhere in my case.

• DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    Instead of testing each mod, one at a time (wow. I can't imagine personally doing that. I have over 300 mods and thousands of CC. Imagine testing that one at a time). Do the 50/50 method.

First separate Mods from CC. Test once with all mods, take those out then test with only CC.

If the problem occurs in one, not the other. The one the problem didn't occur in is fine and should be kept out of testing but in a separate - safe - location.

Then take the problem mods (or CC) and split them in half. Test first one half, then proceed to test the other half. Even if the first half causes the problem, go ahead and test the second half, as sometimes issues are more than one mod.

Proceed to half and test batches of your mods or CC. When you know a group is safe, place them all in their own safe location, outside the mods folder (I generally keep them in a folder on my desktop named "SAFE").
    @DivieOwl You've just explained that better than anyone else and it makes more sense, thanks. I've been doing the remove cc by date added because I can track problems by the date I first noticed them, that cleared up a couple of weird things. The current issues have been harder to troubleshoot because they're only happening after I've been playing a while and during certain events or activities so trial and error is going to be slooooow.
    DivieOwl wrote: »
    Instead of testing each mod, one at a time (wow. I can't imagine personally doing that. I have over 300 mods and thousands of CC. Imagine testing that one at a time). Do the 50/50 method.

First separate Mods from CC. Test once with all mods, take those out then test with only CC.

If the problem occurs in one, not the other. The one the problem didn't occur in is fine and should be kept out of testing but in a separate - safe - location.

Then take the problem mods (or CC) and split them in half. Test first one half, then proceed to test the other half. Even if the first half causes the problem, go ahead and test the second half, as sometimes issues are more than one mod.

Proceed to half and test batches of your mods or CC. When you know a group is safe, place them all in their own safe location, outside the mods folder (I generally keep them in a folder on my desktop named "SAFE").

Wow, what a great suggestion! Yes, if you guys use a lot of mods this sounds like an amazing suggestion. I don’t use very many at all, so testing each 2 or 3 at a time is kinda what I did.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member

What’s life like on the vanilla side of things? Every time I get a Last Exception, I do wonder...