Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you like a "Cultures" Game Pack?

As the title says...

A game pack surrounding cultures - such as Italian, French, English, German, etc. - bringing in new clothing, objects, and possibly one or two new worlds that is related to that particular culture (such as the Sims 3's Monte Vista and Italian architecture and the Sims 4 Get Together's Windenburg and German architecture)
Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.

Would you like a "Cultures" Game Pack? 78 votes

Yes
69%
Mstybl95Simmervilleaelias24joelygirlsims2BloosmooStrangerthanWillowG145Mariefoxprice83friendlysimmersloubyloulousekojranaAmj1995BanjoramlmeadowsAquariusMomsmurf45bluetaydevduhboy2u2ChampandGirlieMissmagoo2 54 votes
No
30%
auroraael14IcewolfIceyJpoemetragurlasimbsimgoodcakebaker62BluelleKim5496keenowBabykittyjadecheifeagleeyeSigzy05ChadSims2Bearpal64pinneduphairChazzzybirdonawirealyssa123SimsandraSharonia 24 votes

Comments

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Yes
    More cultures are always welcome. Preferably not something US/Canadian or European, though. There's so much other world out there to use as inspiration. (Yes, right now my favorites are Sulani and Selvadorada)
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    No
    I said no because how can that be done with no jarring stereotypes or fetishizing? Maybe it can, but I wouldn't touch that as a project.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    No
    Hmm... I kinda like the thought of more food from different countries, like the new food you got with City Living, but a whole pack spent one one culture? No, because someone always feels left out.

I play with people from different countries and I always notice how happy they are, if their country is mentioned somewhere (for example a dutch hero in Overwatch or a polish operator in Rainbow Six Siege) and then I realize that these countries almost nowhere are mentioned in a game (not even talking about a czech or hungarian character or whatever).
    I mean it could work if there was like a southern europe pack featuring all of the countries as an example, but someone always feel left out.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    No
    Way too much for a gamepack. Would need an expansion for all of that.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Yes
    Yes. I would especially love to see a pack that is sort of Peruvian or Bolivian, and maybe a Kenyan and Egyptian style worlds.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    No
    No cause it will just result in a bunch of annoying weird outfits that my random townie sims will be dressed in all the time.
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    No
    seems like it would be hard to do well without offending or excluding any cultures
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Yes
    alyssa123 wrote: »
    seems like it would be hard to do well without offending or excluding any cultures
    I feel like they did well enough with past games, including Jungle Adventure. JA went especially deep, since even the temple diving and lore massively fleshed out Selvadorada's culture.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    edited December 2019
    Yes
    I don’t understand the opinion that the devs will offend players with a cultural pack. They’ve done cultural packs and general content before, both in TS3 and TS4 without any issue.

I would love a Scandinavian and East Asian pack with worlds inspired by them.
  • Options
    sinrasinra Posts: 72 Member
    Other, but technically yes. I'd rather have a travel themed expansion pack with a couple of different locations, and any cultural aspect be introduced through that. Not so much copy pasting any one country/culture but drawing inspiration from an area to create a sims world. Selvadorada is well done and a good example of this imo.

I would personally love to see a winter destination inspired by the five nordic countries. Log cabins, skiing/snowboarding and other winter activities would be fun. Some lore inspired by Norse mythology, perhaps?

Just new and different worlds are high on my list of things I want to see anyway.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    No
    No. I know that if they were to make a German culture pack it would be all about beer, Oktoberfest, Sauerkraut, Lederhosen. It would be very stereotypical.

I‘d be ok with made up cultures though or a create your own culture pack (similar to how we can create our own holidays).
  • Options
    BanjoraBanjora Posts: 19 Member
    Yes
    Yes! More specifically, I want a family wardrobe or a system similar to clubs that will allow me to restrict a household's wardrobe to clothes, accessories, and hairstyles that I've chosen, and I want this to be inheritable. I still want to be able to wear whatever, but when Sims age up, I don't want them aging up into some random outfit. I've spent hours crafting the perfect island family, just to have someone age up into some clothing abomination that I have to fix.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Yes
    I'd be game for a Scandinavian pack since others have mentioned it. I'd like to see more from different cultures as long as it isn't too stereotypical. At this point, there is a lot of content in the game so there is more flexibility to edit spaces and make them less stereotyped.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Yes
    I love this idea I love the more cultural packs or elements to packs like city living, island living, jungle adventure so it would suit my gameplay style so much. I think an eastern Asian style like Japan, China etc for build buy and the world would be cool or if not an African style. I’m getting a bit bored with a lot of sims stuff being more American and like a lot of the diversity sims 4 has brought but feel there could still be a lot more diverse stuff added to the game
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    Yes
    I really like the selvadorada culture skill in jungle adventure and I would like my sims to discover other cultures by travelling. For example a trip to Asia or a safari in Africa.
    I don't think it would work well for all cultures, it needs to be distinctly different. Another thing I like about selvadorada culture is that it stays in its own world and does not intrude in other worlds.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Yes
    I was a little worried about how this could become stereotypical or offensive, but they did such a great job with the culture in Island Living that I really think they could pull this off. However, EA may prefer to trickle out cultures slowly, one per pack. It would be awesome, though, to get a whole bunch of cultures at once, with different clothing and build/buy choices.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    No
    Seems like just another bunch of set dressing garbage. No thank you.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited December 2019
    Yes
    Yes, but only because I would love an East Asian themed world with Japanese or Chinese architecture, something like Shang Simla from TS3 or Takemizu Village from TS2, just as a residential world. This would also go well with the Asian themed outfits, hairstyles and foods from City Living.

Another European-themed world might be neat as well, maybe something Mediterranian like Monte Vista from TS3.

However, I would really much prefer if they just focus on representing one country in a world, not bunching aspects of half a continent into one world like they did with Windenburg, since the latter might lead to misconceptions about certain countries (like the cheek-kissing as a form of greeting in "German-themed" Windenburg :| )
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,672 Member
    Yes
    I said yes, because I like different cultures and want variety in my game. But I would probably not buy such a pack this late in the series, because it would not really fit with my existing game play. If they were vacation worlds introducing hotels etc, I'd pre-order though :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited December 2019
    No
    As much as I want more exotic foreign worlds. I don't know how I feel about a culture pack specifically. I'm not worried about being offended but
    I think there are just so many other packs I'd rather have...
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited December 2019
    Yes
    I've already got households and sims that are from other cultural backgrounds. examples would be:

Galibrinov's are Russian.
    Damme's are French and Belgian and the Butler and his son are Japanese.
    Chun-Koon's are Korean.
    Hiroshimoto's and Sikuchi's are Japanese.
    Garza-Schwindt's are Spanish and German.
    The Firelli's are Italian.
    The Manning's are British, Johanna Keating is not though and neither is Gemma Manning.
    De Vistora's are Brazilian.
    The Perth's are Australian, which includes the married off family member Joyce Alderra.
    Al-Firaqqi's are Iranian.
    Johansson's are Swedish.
    Cassavetes are Greek.
    Balilovic's are Croatian.
    Wiezincinski's are Polish.
    Estrada's are Mexican.

Individuals include:

Jasmine Calipsa -Turkish.
    Selene Mykarios - Greek.
    Mingmei Parker - Chinese.
    Petra Klaasen - German.
    Laurel Plato - British.
    Jameena Qahasi - Saudi Arabian.
    Nils Stevensen - Danish.

---
    So i'm all for an extended cultural pack. San Myshuno and Windenburg are a good start, but having more of the world in TS4 would be grand.
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    Having witnessed SO MANY ARGUMENTS over the years on Civilization forums on what civs merit inclusion for historical reasons or market reasons or whatever, I think EA's safest bet is to stay the heck away from those kind of arguments. It's a pandora's box of varying offenses, from forgetting certain elements to lumping things together, bla blah blah. Let the players' own creativity introduce that kind of thing.
  • Options
    BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    No
    I picked no because... like other people have said, it's hard not to offend people once you start doing things like this. The result is always going to be people feeling left out and then antagonizing the devs and TS4 in entirety for not being inclusive enough. "Well, they got this! Why can't WE get this?" - said by people of 100 different cultures.
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited December 2019
    Yes
    Having witnessed SO MANY ARGUMENTS over the years on Civilization forums on what civs merit inclusion for historical reasons or market reasons or whatever, I think EA's safest bet is to stay the heck away from those kind of arguments. It's a pandora's box of varying offenses, from forgetting certain elements to lumping things together, bla blah blah. Let the players' own creativity introduce that kind of thing.

Not forgetting we can't create our own worlds for a moment, but..
    When you start getting too deep into the cultural historical aspects and religious practices and the like, it does usually devolve into something else and in your case and this users as well:
    Bluelle wrote: »
    I picked no because... like other people have said, it's hard not to offend people once you start doing things like this. The result is always going to be people feeling left out and then antagonizing the devs and TS4 in entirety for not being inclusive enough. "Well, they got this! Why can't WE get this?" - said by people of 100 different cultures.

There isn't much need to go deeply into the varying aspects, but just enough past the surface to get an idea of the place, the people and the how they live their lives. If you look at what has already been accomplished with the peoples of Sulani, the peoples of Windenburg and a few others, there isn't a great deal involved as to the historical aspects or any other main themes you'd expect but still shows these people and the setting like quite well. So i don't believe creating a debate about how deeply you go into the aspects would be productive in any way shape or form.

Heck, look at Willow Creek, or Oasis Springs, there isn't a great deal on how deeply you'd go there either and yet it still provides an idea of the place, people and setting.

---

If i were to suggest say, a middle eastern town based off Jordan as the most stable country in that part of the world, now one doesn't need temples or strict religious practices. but grabbing the feel for the place, the architecture, the way people dress, the names they have, the type of technology they have, and then create something from that, you wouldn't need to get into the debate about it and still have something that represents that part of the world well enough. So say you have a fictional middle eastern town in one world, another world would have deserts with ruins scattered about, nothing specific, just old stone ruins and a few scattered houses in the open desert along desert roads and a nearby highway leading into and out of town and the town in the distance with rolling dunes all around and a good number of tree, brush and grasses in the area as well.

To one person there would be no way to tell if it was based off Jordan, Israel or any other country in the area, because it generally covers that whole part of the world well enough without any signifcant cultural, political or religious aspects involved.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    No
    They’d have to hide it within another pack, like how City Living had a bunch of Asian stuff and JA had Latin American stuff. They couldn’t call it “German Stuff” for example.