Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Slot mods after the November 2019 patch

2...Next

Comments

• Asimi128Asimi128 Posts: 1 New Member
    This thread is the only thing that has been helping me try to understand whats wrong with my game, so I thank all of you that have responded. I am so upset that I cant play it, especially with University coming out. I think the limited bones is the problem, because when I took all cc tables and shelves out of my game, it worked. However, is there a way to check if the cc exceeds over 180 bones? Because I'm hoping some cc are still salvageable. Also does anyone know if The Sims Team has spoken out about this at all? I find it so unprofessional if they haven't.
  • coolspearcoolspear Posts: 25 Member
    Only recently I started adding new slots to various CC objects I've been working on. Never knew anything about bone limits. So where it's been mentioned here there's a limit of 180 slots/bones, is that per object? Effectively 180 new slots added on a single object, and going over this, - now more forcefully capped amount - makes that object crash the game? Or is it slots accumulating over a number of objects?

Are we now to go back to OMSPs? :D
  • SimGuruTwoLegsSimGuruTwoLegs Posts: 25 SimGuru (retired)
    I'll be consolidating information into a single (locked) thread so information doesn't get lost among the discussion: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/969550/

Also, as of the patch that went out today, excessively large rigs will load without crashing and should be placeable/useable. There are caveats to what happens to slots that reference those missing bones:
    - In Build/Buy mode, objects can still be slotted into boneless slots, as slots have all the necessary positioning information to know where slotted objects should go. For purely decorative objects, i.e. objects without interactions, this appears to work fine.
    - Interactable objects, i.e. objects with interactions that require a Sim to route to before using, do not function correctly however. If a Sim tries interacting with objects in boneless slots, a Python exception will be thrown causing the Sim to T-pose and reset.
    - There may be other unknown side effects.
  • szanne7777szanne7777 Posts: 43 Member
    > @Asimi128 said:
    > This thread is the only thing that has been helping me try to understand whats wrong with my game, so I thank all of you that have responded. I am so upset that I cant play it, especially with University coming out. I think the limited bones is the problem, because when I took all cc tables and shelves out of my game, it worked. However, is there a way to check if the cc exceeds over 180 bones? Because I'm hoping some cc are still salvageable. Also does anyone know if The Sims Team has spoken out about this at all? I find it so unprofessional if they haven't.

Sims4Studio has created a cheat to determine which of your cc items has too many bones and will crash your game. Any files that show up as unreadable should also be tested. They show up that way likely because they were created with TSRW instead of S4S.

Read this link for the explanation of how to use the slot195 cheat:

http://sims4studio.com/thread/19030/studio-update-discover-university-cheat

...and here for the actual latest version of sims4studio:

http://sims4studio.com/thread/562/sims-studio-windows-wishes-open
  • _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    Hi @SimGuruTwoLegs, thank you for this patch and the link to more information. Is there any reason for us to add a batch-fix to Sims 4 Studio that will remove bones that correspond to deco slots past the 180 limit? Going forward, should we stop adding a corresponding bone to deco slots?

Our main goal throughout the cycle of Sims 4 has been to develop a tool (Sims 4 Studio) that makes game-safe custom content - packages that won't end up being non-compliant later on because they aren't in sync with the game's code conventions. Our secondary goal has been to help people make their content so it is compliant with the current version of the game and patch-proof. Your advice on how we can best work with the bone limitation is appreciated.
  • TheToxicAardvarkTheToxicAardvark Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey i'm not great with technical stuff but I know I have put my cc in the right folder I only use the mccc command centre and the UI cheats menu cause its fun to mess around with it, and i like the fact I can turn off the monster under the bed cause that thing is so annoying. but they won't even show up when I click the "view custom content" none of them show up they are C:\Users\aardvark\OneDrive\Documents\all other stuff\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods which worked before but I don't know why since the update it stopped working even though I've got the most updated versions of these mods. or I've put them in the wrong section :/
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    @SimGuruTwoLegs - What about counters? Those are the main furniture object that people add custom deco slots to it. Does the 180 limit counts for the whole 10 counter shapes or can each shape have 179 deco slots? The limit is a bit confusing when it comes to kitchen counters or island counters with more shapes in one package.
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• SimGuruTwoLegsSimGuruTwoLegs Posts: 25 SimGuru (retired)
    Hi @SimGuruTwoLegs, thank you for this patch and the link to more information. Is there any reason for us to add a batch-fix to Sims 4 Studio that will remove bones that correspond to deco slots past the 180 limit? Going forward, should we stop adding a corresponding bone to deco slots?

Our main goal throughout the cycle of Sims 4 has been to develop a tool (Sims 4 Studio) that makes game-safe custom content - packages that won't end up being non-compliant later on because they aren't in sync with the game's code conventions. Our secondary goal has been to help people make their content so it is compliant with the current version of the game and patch-proof. Your advice on how we can best work with the bone limitation is appreciated.
    My recommendation would be to adhere to the 180 bone limit with slots all having a corresponding bone in the rig. This is future proof and mimics our internal tools that only allows creating a slot that has an associated bone. Exceeding 180 walks into the caveats that I've mentioned above -- it works if slotted objects are decorative and have no interactions but otherwise start causing some gameplay behavior mishaps.

> @SimGuruTwoLegs said:
    > The bone limit for a rig is 180

Hi @SimGuruTwoLegs . I don't think I will get a better opportunity to talk to you in the future so I'm taking a last shot :)

I have been trying to figure out about this 180 bones limit for a long time.
    Maybe you saw the message I sent you on Scumbumbo Werld's discord in May or even the ticket I opened (https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Crash-to-desktop-upon-sims-rendering/td-p/7927298) to the developpers' attention in June.

I am very eager to know more about this limitation and the technical reason behind it.
    Getting rid of it would lead to amazing new possibilities so I'm crossing my fingers for a good news on your side !

Cheers!
    Sorry, there are no plans to raise the limit, as doing so would impact performance for everyone. This is a bit different from, say, increasing max instantiated Sim count where only players that opted into using mods to doing so would be impacted.

LuvMySimz wrote: »
    @SimGuruTwoLegs - What about counters? Those are the main furniture object that people add custom deco slots to it. Does the 180 limit counts for the whole 10 counter shapes or can each shape have 179 deco slots? The limit is a bit confusing when it comes to kitchen counters or island counters with more shapes in one package.
    If I'm not mistaken, each individual shape has its own rig, so each should be able to have 180 bones. Though to be clear, bones are used for more than deco slots. For example, counterModIn_rig (inside corner for the modern counter I think) uses 18 bones for non-deco slot purposes, leaving 162 bones available for deco slots or other purposes.
  • RedFactionFRRedFactionFR Posts: 3 New Member
    > @SimGuruTwoLegs said:
    > Sorry, there are no plans to raise the limit, as doing so would impact performance for everyone. This is a bit different from, say, increasing max instantiated Sim count where only players that opted into using mods to doing so would be impacted.

Thank you for being honest @SimGuruTwoLegs

So there is nothing we can change in the game files to raise this value at our own risks ?
  • Tna89Tna89 Posts: 1 New Member
    I removed everything from the mods folder and reset game options to default- still experiencing a lot of glitches...
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, each individual shape has its own rig, so each should be able to have 180 bones. Though to be clear, bones are used for more than deco slots. For example, counterModIn_rig (inside corner for the modern counter I think) uses 18 bones for non-deco slot purposes, leaving 162 bones available for deco slots or other purposes.

Yes I know about the non deco bones which also have to be taken into count. Thanks for the clarification.

• RedFactionFRRedFactionFR Posts: 3 New Member
    @SimGuruTwoLegs do you mind telling us if there is a resource we can edit to raise this limit on our end at our own risks ?
  • kcarlile7kcarlile7 Posts: 7 New Member
    I'm having the same issue with my Sims 4 after the update. Every time I play a household it crashes, its unplayable.

But I don't have ANY mods, and I've never had any mods on this game. What should I do?

I have a MacBook Air.
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,776 Member
    kcarlile7 wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue with my Sims 4 after the update. Every time I play a household it crashes, its unplayable.

But I don't have ANY mods, and I've never had any mods on this game. What should I do?

I have a MacBook Air.

If you are not playing with any Mods or CC you can report your error here:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en
  • ReitannaReitanna Posts: 294 Member
    okay so, i'm making an object (shelves) that have 183 slots. is this going to make a very big difference even though it's just a few extra?
    I'm so old, I remember when "hashtags" were called POUND SIGNS.

K7ZEXAi.png
    Reitanna wrote: »
    okay so, i'm making an object (shelves) that have 183 slots. is this going to make a very big difference even though it's just a few extra?

Yes it does, you should stick with 180 because when you place objects on those extra three, they will disappear. Three less wouldn’t hurt would it? ;)