Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I really hope we have 5 more years left.

We start over with sims 5 then its back to "where's seasons?" "where's pets?" "where's university" etc. now we're on uncharted territory and its thrilling, the dev team can really only do new ideas at this point and it's something that's really exciting for me. i want 5 more years cause that way we actually get different and new stuff.

like yeah, we still have things like creating a band, werewolves, etc. that are being asked for but you know what i mean. the big ones are out of the way and i can't wait to see what different things we can get. like being able to run your own zoo or theme park, that's never been done in one of these games and it's something i've seen requested a few times but never really got any traction cause the big ones always got the attention.

Comments

• cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    New ideas like....horses? Romance? Vacations and hotels? Bands? Hobbies?

Nah...there's still a lot of ground the past iterations have covered that TS4 hasn't...in 5 years. I don't know why people say it's time for "new things" when we haven't even gotten the full package yet :D

"like yeah, we still have things like creating a band, werewolves, etc. that are being asked for but you know what i mean. the big ones are out of the way"
  • mickimagnummickimagnum Posts: 74 Member
    Me too! Mostly because I don't want to have to re-buy everything in a new iteration...haha.
    Origin ID: mickimagnum
    My Sims Blog

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I'd love to see it go longer too, I think it will. Not sure about 5 years, but at least 2 or 3. It's a great game :)
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I used to be keen on them adding back old features like land transportation, ceilings, and body hair, but now I realized that in order to really extend the shelf life of TS4, they have to go back and overhaul its core systems before adding stuff. Emotions, traits, whims (which they already abandoned), and the general sim AI need a lot of rework. The closest so far that we've had to an overhaul of emotions is this mod I found by roburky, which does a great job rebalancing the system.

I personally think TS4 is an okay game. It's fun enough, but not as great as it could've been due to some mishandling.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    No, I actually think it's ending soon and TS5 will be announced next year to be released some time in 2021. EA is already moving TS4 out to Steam (and by extension, other digital stores like Humble Bundle that sell Steam keys) like it did with TS3 when its run was ending.

I'm excited at the thought of TS5 coming soon! I really hope TS5 is amazing - I promise, EA, that I will throw so much money at you if it's a true successor to TS1-TS3!
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,177 Member
    I sincerely hope not. Sims 4 was made 5 years ago and boy.....does it sure show that it's 5 years old. Could you imagine what it would look like if say, they continued Sims 2 until 2004? Or Sims 3 right now? There's only so much you can add onto and how long you can do it for a single game.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I hope not.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
    edited December 2019

Nah...there's still a lot of ground the past iterations have covered that TS4 hasn't...in 5 years. I don't know why people say it's time for "new things" when we haven't even gotten the full package yet :D

At least they try to bring new ideas to the old themes.

For example :
    • Vampires : Power & Weakness
    • Seasons : Calendar & Holiday
    • Parenthood : Parenting & Values

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    I understand why people would want that. But supporting a game for 10 years will make it difficult for Maxis to add new features. Because they are building and maintaining a code base that will be so old.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm in the camp with the OP. I agree that we're getting close to being able to go into new territory and that is more interesting to me than starting over.

I know what the model and formula has been. I'm just really not ready to go back to Day 1 in a new game. If they want to rebrand and make it so we can port our sims into some new platform with what has already been added? Yeah, I'll think about that.

More people are now engaging with the game than did back when they made Laundry Day. I don't really think it is time for them to throw it all out. I also don't think that players are in agreement about what they want in TS5.

Yeah, the base game is old at this point and had its flaws but time has passed and more content has been released. Also, styles of gaming have changed. Anyway, I'm in agreement with the general theme of this thread. I'm probably not in the market for a new base game anytime soon and I might even drop out at that point. Just adding weather wouldn't be enough for me, that's not the only thing I play with.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited December 2019
    5 more years???!!!!!
    Bring it on!!!🙏🙏🙏🙏
    I want to see a combination of new stuff and old ideas we didn't get yet like *cough* zombies *cough*
    There is soooo much missing and I love this game. I will happily wait 5 more years to fill it up. I don't want to start over either. My sister just completed the collection yesterday. Imagine if they were to say, sims 5 coming! Get ready for Finding University! 😑😑😑😑

I'm just hoping we get improved gameplay, lots of sims interacting, cuddling, and animations such as being able to sit on the floor for a picnic and stuff before it ends, which I hope doesn't end anytime soon.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I understand why people would want that. But supporting a game for 10 years will make it difficult for Maxis to add new features. Because they are building and maintaining a code base that will be so old.

I don't think that's true because sims3 had waaaaay more than sims4 and the amount of content was not what caused the problems. I know they say sims4 has a bad engine but it's still newer than sims3, and right now it's super stable. I only had one crash in all of these years and it was from cc, and it runs like a dream. I believe they can add another 5 years of stuff. 🤗
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited December 2019

I don't think that's true because sims3 had waaaaay more than sims4 and the amount of content was not what caused the problems. I know they say sims4 has a bad engine but it's still newer than sims3, and right now it's super stable. I only had one crash in all of these years and it was from cc, and it runs like a dream. I believe they can add another 5 years of stuff. 🤗

I agree that the sims4 is much more stable than the sims3 and I think it could still support more packs for five more years.

But I'm just worried that we will get more bugs appearing with every patch and core features of the game that will not get expanded or updated with new packs because the base game code is so old.

For example they patched the game recently and they managed to break the shower/bathtub combo. And the reason why the UI interface for classes in Discover University is so clunky is probably because they spent a lot of time going back to the base game code to get classes to work with the base game work interface, because the base game was not built for it.
  • YBNS2468YBNS2468 Posts: 240 Member
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    We start over with sims 5 then its back to "where's seasons?" "where's pets?" "where's university" etc. now we're on uncharted territory and its thrilling, the dev team can really only do new ideas at this point and it's something that's really exciting for me. i want 5 more years cause that way we actually get different and new stuff.

like yeah, we still have things like creating a band, werewolves, etc. that are being asked for but you know what i mean. the big ones are out of the way and i can't wait to see what different things we can get. like being able to run your own zoo or theme park, that's never been done in one of these games and it's something i've seen requested a few times but never really got any traction cause the big ones always got the attention.

I hope so too.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 783 Member
    Why keep Sims 4 going for another 5 years? Sims 4 started in 2014,and it's now 2019. That is 6 years of Sims 4,and with 2020 and 2021,that would make it 8 years of Sims 4. If you add 3 more years,that would make it a total of 11 years of Sim 4.Why keep a game going for THAT long when EA could pull the plug on Sims 4 somtime in late 2020 or early 2021,and give us Sims 5? I can't even see people sticking with a Sims iteration that conitnues to give us half-baked packs,bugs,glitches and more missing content that will never be added? I imagine people would of abandoned the Sims altogether for games that actaully work and don't have missing content or half-baked packs.

No game company can keep a certain game going on forever. Take Mojang for example: What if Mojang decided to keep Minecraft version 1.11 going on forever? We would not have foxes or campfires or ravager beasts or cats. Biomes would not be updated and ocelots would still be turning into cats once tamed. People would strt getting sick of Minecraft and going on to other block- building games like Roblox and Terraria.

How about Nintendo? What if they kept the original Super Mario Brothers going on forever? THere would be no King Wart...no Birdo...no Koopalings..no ario turning into a racoon with a magic leaf...no magic whistle to teleport Mario from place to place..it would just be Mario jumpin on Goombas and finding the princess in another castle,which would be very boring.

The same will go for Sims 4...if it kept going for another 5 years,people will be sick and tired of it and go other to other building games such as Paralives.Let EA keep Sims 4 going for only 1 to 2 more years,then let EA pull the plug on Sims 4 and give us Sims 5. Sims 5 just may be as great as Sims 1,2, and 3 were. Maybe Sims will even include ghosts,basements,toddlers,and pools in the base game. Sims 5 may even give us really great packs flled with really great gameplay/content,and not include pointless deco buildings.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    How is TS4 stable??? It has an ever growing list of bugs that need fixing, many of them several years old. The gameplay itself is broken. I don't know how any of you can possibly put up with the sims not doing what they're suppose to do. I don't think it's good to give an inaccurate portrayal of the game to fool people out of their hard-earned money to buy this horrible game. It is a total rip-off. Even if they try to add something new, there's always something broken and buggy about it. Also the hype for each upcoming pack far exceeds the actual content and has been hugely disappointing.

It's not like I don't want EA to make money, but I would rather recommend that people buy TS3 which IS stable and jam packed with working and fun content. They will definitely get full value and more for their money especially now since the current computers can handle the game. Just look at the TS3 section of this forum which attest to the fact that it works and runs well for so many people. That section also proves that you can do far more with the game than you ever can with TS4. And TS3 has SO MUCH more content and gameplay - people have been continuing to play it for 10 years now, still discovering new things and still going. It's a game you can never really get tired of - yes you will take breaks, but you always come back to it.

And as for TS5 and having to wait for new EPs, etc. it's not like we've never done that before. It's to be expected. While I'm waiting for new packs for TS5, I'm going to keep playing my complete TS3 collection and sometimes my TS2 UC, The Sims Medieval and My Sims. I also like playing the basegame for a good while so I come to know it's features really well as compared to what is added from the upcoming packs. I also like playing upcoming packs by themselves (with the base game of course) for a long while too to fully appreciate the features they add.

Regarding TS4 running for several more years, I don't believe what the devs say anymore - especially when they don't even care enough about the game to quality check it for bugs or to play it enough to be familiar with its features. Also, they've moved TS4 out to Steam. That's a pretty big change. I think they're doing that to make room for TS5 for The Sims official website and in Origin.

Also keep in mind that the disaster of TS4 has emboldened competitors to try their hand in the life sim genre. If EAxis continues with TS4, the competitors will surely come out with much better life sim games of their own (I'm not thinking about Paralives - I'm thinking of Paradox Tectonic). EA will DEFINITELY lose customers to their competitors if they continue on with TS4.

• dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member

I agree that the sims4 is much more stable than the sims3 and I think it could still support more packs for five more years.

But I'm just worried that we will get more bugs appearing with every patch and core features of the game that will not get expanded or updated with new packs because the base game code is so old.

For example they patched the game recently and they managed to break the shower/bathtub combo. And the reason why the UI interface for classes in Discover University is so clunky is probably because they spent a lot of time going back to the base game code to get classes to work with the base game work interface, because the base game was not built for it.

I don‘t think so. Duke said this some time ago: „My technical directors are terrified when I tell them I want to build DLC for five more years“. They might have ideas for five more years but they‘re reaching their limits from a technical point of view.

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2019
    I think if the Sims 4 needs 5 more years that it is indeed a half baked game needing double the baking to make it feel cooked. Honestly I don't think five more years is even going to help this iteration because its core and direction is still empty and shallow. People will just continue to complain more how the game is continue to slow down their computers and can't run on their 10+ year old computer anyways as more DLC is released and how patches ruin their game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

At least they try to bring new ideas to the old themes.

For example :
    • Vampires : Power & Weakness
    • Seasons : Calendar & Holiday
    • Parenthood : Parenting & Values

Parenting and values isn't really new. It was done in TS2 to some extent. Parents could influence a child's personality points while growing up.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2019
    How is TS4 stable??? It has an ever growing list of bugs that need fixing, many of them several years old. The gameplay itself is broken. I don't know how any of you can possibly put up with the sims not doing what they're suppose to do. I don't think it's good to give an inaccurate portrayal of the game to fool people out of their hard-earned money to buy this horrible game. It is a total rip-off. Even if they try to add something new, there's always something broken and buggy about it. Also the hype for each upcoming pack far exceeds the actual content and has been hugely disappointing.

It's not like I don't want EA to make money, but I would rather recommend that people buy TS3 which IS stable and jam packed with working and fun content. They will definitely get full value and more for their money especially now since the current computers can handle the game. Just look at the TS3 section of this forum which attest to the fact that it works and runs well for so many people. That section also proves that you can do far more with the game than you ever can with TS4. And TS3 has SO MUCH more content and gameplay - people have been continuing to play it for 10 years now, still discovering new things and still going. It's a game you can never really get tired of - yes you will take breaks, but you always come back to it.

And as for TS5 and having to wait for new EPs, etc. it's not like we've never done that before. It's to be expected. While I'm waiting for new packs for TS5, I'm going to keep playing my complete TS3 collection and sometimes my TS2 UC, The Sims Medieval and My Sims. I also like playing the basegame for a good while so I come to know it's features really well as compared to what is added from the upcoming packs. I also like playing upcoming packs by themselves (with the base game of course) for a long while too to fully appreciate the features they add.

Regarding TS4 running for several more years, I don't believe what the devs say anymore - especially when they don't even care enough about the game to quality check it for bugs or to play it enough to be familiar with its features. Also, they've moved TS4 out to Steam. That's a pretty big change. I think they're doing that to make room for TS5 for The Sims official website and in Origin.

Also keep in mind that the disaster of TS4 has emboldened competitors to try their hand in the life sim genre. If EAxis continues with TS4, the competitors will surely come out with much better life sim games of their own (I'm not thinking about Paralives - I'm thinking of Paradox Tectonic). EA will DEFINITELY lose customers to their competitors if they continue on with TS4.

I think Paralives is very far from competing with the sims given how it looks a lot like a set dressing game (albeit TS4 itself could be considered that....not the franchise though). I do not believe in the slightest that any of the objects presented can be interacted with.

TS4 right now...isn't as bad as it was in 2014, I'll give it that....the AI is a nightmare though, it's so poorly done it's nuts and the multitasking makes everything worse, it's one of it's biggest problems and after so many coats of paint it's becoming more apparent.

Personally I don't think I can take extra 5 years of this game....that is, unless they start to pull out actual fun, quality content out of their 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and improve the base extensively with quality of life changes. But I don't think that is going to happen. I'd like something better and more entertaining at this point. Hopefully after 2021 they are ready to announce TS5.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    I hope not. That would be the absolute horror. Imo it's time for a clean slate, a fresh start, less limitations' a TRUE successor to the Sims 3.

The Sims always worked like this. A new game comes out, you have to start over again with all the EP's. It's just how this franchise works and has worked always.

Is that bad? No, not really imo. I had SO much fun with the Sims 3 base game, even though it did not have pets, seasons, university in the base game, it was an absolute blast.

Why? Because the game felt complete, felt not bare bones, it was a true base/foundation that they could only enhance with EP's and other packs.

The Sims 4, even with all the packs installed, feels still shallow, empty and just not entertaining (to me) The limitations are very obvious and hardcoded stuff like the worlds and the core systems are very unlikely to ever change in The SIms 4's lifespan.

Was the Sims 3 all good?

No, it was not. The Sims 3 optimization was horrible, especially after installing EP after EP. Lagging, long loading times, sometimes it was very frustrating. But the fact that the game, once loaded, had so many options, so much to do from the get go, made it worth it imo.

When it comes to The Sims 5; I expect them to add a full weather/seasons system into the base game. Weather and Seasons are basic parts of life, so should be base game material imo. EVEN if it takes them longer to develop The SIms 5 base game, it just should be there from day one.

They can add more seasonal activities and seasonal related objects later in packs/updates, but the weather/seasons system should be there. (so should be snow depth!). When it comes to The Sims 3 seasons, it still is the best Seasons ever imo. The slow and subtle weather transitions/weather types (hail!) and the realism of rain hitting the ground/puddles/roofs made it SO good.

The Sims 4 version just feels like a downgraded version of what could have been great. (so do all the Sims 4 packs feel though).

So no, not another 5 years. I wouldn't care if they wrap up The Sims 4 now, and go dark for a year or two to put all their manpower and resources into making The Sims 5 great instead of rushing out halfbaked Sims 4 content until it is ready.

Great post!!!
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Me too! Mostly because I don't want to have to re-buy everything in a new iteration...haha.

This post makes me sad, and not at or for you, but just at the way EA/Maxis runs this game...

I feel like the devs only view the Base Game of The Sims as a necessary evil to get to other things. And they've convinced a large portion of Simmers that a game isn't complete without all of the DLC that takes half a decade to get to them. I'm saying this as someone who has played The Sims from TS2 onwards and always bought DLC for each iteration. Especially in TS4 it feels like you need DLC because the Sims are so blah and there's not a lot to do, that at least the DLC gives them more to do (doesn't change that they're not dynamic or smart AIs).

I'm pretty sure DLC (not just for The Sims) used to be "oh that's kind of a cool addition to what's already in the game but it doesn't fundamentally provide too much more than what's already offered because the base game has everything it needs to feel like this game was finished when it went to the market." Just the fact that EA/Maxis now have based their entire model on knowing that they're going to purposefully leave out content to be released over the next 5 years of a game's lifespan is....awful (except from a monetary standpoint).

If you claim to produce and market a life simulator game, you should present a full and robust variety of tools and content that provides the players with all of the things that they need to simulate whatever life they want to imagine up in the initial game. For example, if players want an occult life simulator, that should be in the game from the beginning, instead they're scattered across several packs. There should be a comprehensive set of options/toggles/tools/whatever to allow players to sculpt the simulation setup. What EA/Maxis does is present one game as 32+ moving parts, with many of the same features from past generations of the game, proving that they know people expect certain things in their preferred style of play, they just don't want to make them free options/tools, they want them to pay for it. And then, the presentation of most of these tools (features) are so limited or redundant anyways.

Imagine if they did go on for 5 more years with TS4, and then at the end of it you just decide (for fun) to uninstall all of the DLC, you'd really see that the initial game wasn't even a game to begin with, just a shell, and you'd really spent 10 years worth of buying DLCs to give the illusion of one full game.