Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Copying store content to new machine

GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
I've just got a new computer, and am about to start the long process of installing Origin, TS3, and all its EPs. When it comes to my store content, can anyone tell me whether I need to re-download and re-install the whole store piece by piece via the launcher, or can I just move my dccache, dcbackup, and installed words docs folder over to the new machine? Many thanks.
You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    When using the same type of install as before (i.e. disc, or Origin, or Steam), you can transfer the installed store files to your new game folder, no need to redownload anything. Here's what you'll need to copy over:
    • Every file in DCCache that ends in .ebc (the files ending in .dbc are bundled third-party custom content)
    • Only ccmerged.package from DCBackup; the others are duplicates of installed Sims3Packs (store and cc) and can be trashed
    • The files from InstalledWorlds
    Here's a full list of everything in your game folder, in case you want to keep anything else:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

If you're coming from a Steam install, you'll definitely need to reinstall your store stuff, as the Origin install won't recognize the content. It's usually fine to transfer from a disc to an Origin install, but occasionally it doesn't work. In any case, just test in an otherwise clean folder and make sure all your store stuff works. If not, you could try copying the Sims3Packs from Downloads, but if that didn't work either, you'd be stuck downloading everything fresh.
  • GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited December 2019
    Thanks very much for this, @puzzlezaddict

I believe I had an disc install before, but with the serial numbers registered with Origin. I didn't have to log in to Origin to play the game. This time it will be an install Origin unfortunately as I've lost my discs. So perhaps I will have to reinstall all the store stuff, but I'll try just copying over the folders first.
    Post edited by GreenCats on
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    edited December 2019
    It's usually fine to transfer from a disc to an Origin install, but occasionally it doesn't work. In any case, just test in an otherwise clean folder and make sure all your store stuff works. If not, you could try copying the Sims3Packs from Downloads, but if that didn't work either, you'd be stuck downloading everything fresh.
    That only works if they never bought a digital copy of the game and only registered the disc with Origin. But if they originally had a disc and then bought a digital copy for whatever reason then they'll need to re-download their Store Items as those are tied to the Base Games Registry Key which will be different if they had 2 copies.

GreenCats wrote: »
    Thanks very much for this, @puzzlezaddict

I believe I had an disc install before, but with the serial numbers registered with Origin. I didn't have to log in to Origin to play the game. This time it will be an install Origin unfortunately as I've lost my discs. So perhaps I will have to reinstall all the store stuff, but I'll try just copying over the folders first.

As long as you had only registered the Base Game disc and never bought a digital copy of the Base Game they should transfer over.
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    Thanks, that's very helpful. I'm pretty sure did download it from Origin one PC move ago, but using the code from my physical copy, not buying a new one. I'll just have to test it and see what happens, once I've got everything else set up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top