Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This is just the kind of garbage that shows me Maxis will never get it

ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
It's a never ending battle of fighting Maxis' programming, while trying to play the Sims like in past versions of the game. And I know this is gonna just seem like a small thing, but it's another in a long line of computer forced outfits, diversity, ambient mailmen, maids, and pizza guys. It's obvious you are never going to understand that what I (and a lot of other players, I think) want is to just set things up the way I want without your constant programming in of ways to change it. Newest example; I just spent three flippin' hours redesigning Drake Hall into a classy looking dorm, complete with little studious decorations on desks, tables, walls, etc. I take a break, go back in, excited to start my new degree, and when I appear in the dorm, there's new items like those dumb little big headed figures, on every desk in the building, replacing half the things I put there. Lamps are gone from tables, replaced by other items. IT'S MY GAME, NOT YOURS! It stopped being yours when I paid for yet another overpriced, buggy, pack. Bad enough I have to be your beta tester and spend half my time finding workarounds and ways to make things function properly that you failed on, but the least you could do is stop trying to personalize the game when that's MY job. You are never going to be better at making the game the way I want it than me.

Comments

• popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Those big beaded figures HAVE GOT TO GO.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited December 2019
    I found it weird too. If you're not opposed to using mods then Zero has a mod called "University - No random decorations". I'll link it but you can just search the name if you're uncomfortable clicking links. It can be found here https://www.patreon.com/posts/university-no-31880936
  • Nite0wlzNite0wlz Posts: 26 Member
    I totally agree. There's so many bugs and issues with the sims 4. Love it to death, but I believe the reason we couldn't get Open world or actually smart Artificial Intelligence for the sim people is because of poor programming.
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I found it weird too. If you're not opposed to using mods then Zero has a mod called "University - No random decorations". I'll link it but you can just search the name if you're uncomfortable clicking links. It can be found here https://www.patreon.com/posts/university-no-31880936

Thank you for helping me play my other sims game, which is making the first sims game work right (I think I play that one more). ;)
    Oh good, and now I find the homework progress wheel doesn't work right since the patch, and that other people have been having problems as well. Yay, Maxis! This is why I actually hate patches. I usually find workarounds for things that are broken through modding or otherwise, and then when they patch, several break, and new things go to the netherworld, as well. It's like having Wreck it Ralph and Fix it Felix living in my game.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Yeah, I have seen other players complaining about this as well. It seems this decorating 'feature' was initiated so your roommates can add their own unique touches to the dorms. I guess the teams decided to allow the NPC roomies to do this on their own, and they can often be seen carrying lamps and deco objects around the dorm whenever they get bored with studying I guess. I don't have DU but I have been keeping a close eye on different discussions going on about the new quirks that are showing up in this pack. One more reason, on top of many others, on why I have not bought the last two packs. Too many quirks and bugs and less control over how I want to play are really impacting my desire to add any new dlc. I am so tired of using mods in order to get around these kinds of bugs, when the pack team should have realized how much control they are taking from us every time something like this is added. Not only is some of the gameplay buggy, but then they add something that is unneccessary and breaks a player's immersion. And the game is filled with this kind of autonomous stuff that adds absolutely nothing to a player's enjoyment. All it does is distract and annoy us to the point where we find it almost impossible to play at all.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Lol! So that's what it is!!! I was wondering why my sim could not even sit down in the dorm cause the couch was covered in figures!!!! And I kept thinking. When I put this here? When? When?🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I haven’t bought DU and I probably never will, but I’m not surprised. The developer’s design decisions have been atrocious from the jump.
    It's... it's meant to be that way? The NPC roommates bring their own things to decorate their rooms... I like it. It makes the game feel more real.

A few items here and there is realistic. Having so many items clutter a room that a sim can't even find clear desk space to study is not. I had lamps lined up next to each other on desks. Random kitchen sauce bottles on top of closets and the above mentioned giant head figures spawning all over the place. It was to much. It probably sounded like a good idea but like many things in TS4 it was implemented very badly.

I hate to say it, but the mod doesn't seem to work; at least not for this. I have it installed now, and it just keeps happening. And I thought that maybe after everyone moved in and brought their stuff from home, it would stop, but it doesn't. Every time I exit the game or leave the lot, when I come back, it's changed again.
    It's... it's meant to be that way? The NPC roommates bring their own things to decorate their rooms... I like it. It makes the game feel more real.

It also makes it harder to use desks. They don't just put items on the side; they put them in the middle, too. So instead of using their desk, they run into your room and use yours. And they put them on end tables, and replace whatever lamps you put there.

They added bed assignments, btw, so why didn't they add desk assignments? Would've taken less time to do that then to figure out how to have random items popping up everywhere.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    They add things like that to make live mode more fun, with random things happening. I do not mind it, but I think they should have given us the option to configure or remove these features.

I think the way that roommates decorate and behave is a little fun, but it should be a fun occurrence, not something that happens over and over. I do not think that my sims should be constantly sad or play the violin over and over to the point that they are getting hungry and tired.

The sims4 could have use for a "random occurrence" setting where you could set it to high, low or off.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited December 2019

I actually like this feature myself and makes things feel more lively. My sims roommates seem to keep to putting stuff on their side of the room if they bunk with my sim or just their room when I assign them as I never seen them decorating outside the bedroom.

Can understand what others mean though.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,872 Member
    They all decorate with the same items : books/big headed figurines/plants/ketchup basically. Not very diversified.
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    I love the MySims figures.

I like those, too. And every once in a while a sim will decorate with one. But the figures everyone is talking about on this thread look like they were made with lego bricks or like they came from an early 8 bit video game. Not the same ones.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited December 2019
    ravynwolvf wrote: »

I like those, too. And every once in a while a sim will decorate with one. But the figures everyone is talking about on this thread look like they were made with lego bricks or like they came from an early 8 bit video game. Not the same ones.

I think they're kinda supposed to emulate the Funko Pop figures
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2019
    The most hassle I've had with this was when my sim's lamp disappeared from his desk. But then again, it wasn't bought by me, it was already on his desk. I'm guessing the roomate stole it because I immediately locked the door for him and my sim the moment I got there, which you should always do on any University pack when choosing a room. Did I get mad about the lamp? Yes. Did it ruin my experience? No. Now if he had stolen my 4000 simoleon laptop, NOW THAT would have been a problem.

Honestly, things were spawning a bit "randomly" some sims had sauce bottles on top of their closets but since it wasn't in my sim's room I didn't really care.

This feature is there to give the player a sense that the roomates think for themselves and change things around in their space. I think it's fine...not great though. What bothers me most is the AI of the roomates since some of them mostly stand around doing nothing for hours.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited December 2019
    Just a last word before I drop this. If I picked up all the sims games, fired them up for the first time ever, built my dorm and went in and saw the game changed it, I would be annoyed, but not nearly as much. It's more a matter of one more thing after a hundred. Each one now just irritates the purple fruit which the censor will change any word I insert there to.

And I would feel better about everything if my sim would just change out of his pjs on his own from time to time.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Not only does this not bother me, I rather like seeing my Sim’s roommates add random objects in their rooms. It makes things seem more lively and I’m glad it was something they added.
  • sinrasinra Posts: 72 Member
    I renovated one of the Foxbury dorms, and didn't really have this issue. None of my decor was technically replaced, some roommates just changed swatches for some of their items. And alright, if they like the blue one more, sure, whatever. I even left some desk space untouched for a couple of rooms since I knew they'd be decorating autonomously, and they did and it wasn't anything too atrocious.

I can see how this could be frustrating for some players, but I don't really care about it myself. Especially since my roommates were all randomly generated sims so I had no prior experiences with them and couldn't care less about them. Autonomsly decorating at least makes them seem less hollow to me. I may have felt differently if any of them where existing townies or my own sims.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,461 Member

I hate to say it, but the mod doesn't seem to work; at least not for this. I have it installed now, and it just keeps happening. And I thought that maybe after everyone moved in and brought their stuff from home, it would stop, but it doesn't. Every time I exit the game or leave the lot, when I come back, it's changed again.

Now, that's just plain weird. Have you tried to do a repair game? I would.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
    edited December 2019

Weird. I will admit that I am still having items spawning myself with the mod but it's at a much slower more realistic rate. With the mod I actually think it's a cute feature. Last night when I was playing in the dorms one of my roommates spawned a stereo in their room which is something I didn't have my sim buy herself. It turned out to be a fun little addition to the dorms. My sim would sometimes go dance with her new university friends when not studying or doing homework.