Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How often do you live in an apartment?

Comments

• mickimagnummickimagnum Posts: 74 Member
    I actually really love the apartments. I originally fell in love with it while playing Sims City on console. I use them rather frequently, especially for Sims just starting out, trying to make it big, or those I feel would prefer city life to the suburbs.
    Origin ID: mickimagnum
    My Sims Blog

• KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited December 2019
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I don't use them much and there's only one reason why I don't like apartments. When there are neighbors near by, fast forwarding time doesn't work. When my Sims go to sleep and some neighbor decides to stand in the hallway the whole night the time goes by very slowly. This happens too often and I get bored to watch my Sims sleep when I can't use the speed 3. I always end up moving my Sims somewhere else.

I don’t know about anyone else, but this sounds like a bug to me? Never had the speed button stop working even with neighbours outside.

I never had this problem either. You could try repairing your game, or test anew vanilla save with nothing in your Mods folder.

I should have mentioned that speed 3 doesn't work for me on any other worlds either if someone is standing behind the front door when my Sims are trying to sleep. It starts working (time speeds up) immediately when that someone leaves. It's not only a problem in San Myshuno, but it's much worse, because the apartment neighbors often stand in the hallway for hours, sometimes they won't leave until morning, they just stand there, for no reason.
    It's been happening in my game for years and I've seen it happening on let's play videos on YouTube too.
    I usually repair my game and clear the cache every time after downloading a new patch (I did it today too) and I've started several new saves, but things haven't changed. I have never used any mods (or cc), my game is as vanilla as can be.
    I found a topic about this problem on EA's bug forum, it's from 2016 and it's still open.
  • taschatascha Posts: 52 Member
    tascha wrote: »
    Side note if anyone can help me, my sim is living in an apartment and I'm trying to buy a street gallery so she can use it to sell off her art, but the apartment is not tall enough for me to buy the street gallery from build mode, meaning I'm unable to buy it and then place it in her inventory :(

I'm not exactly sure what the street gallery is, but I wanted to make sure you know that you can sell paintings without it.

Yes, but I wanted to be able to mark up the price rather than just getting the amount it sells for when you click on it. Thank you though! :smiley:
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Like 80% of the time. I vastly prefer apartments to houses, but I've grown an appreciation for houses in the game.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    San Myshuno is my second most used world after Windenburg. I love apartments.
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    I love San Myshuno so I use them a lot.
  • AssimuloAssimulo Posts: 1,322 Member
    I just played in San Myshuno. I think it's a great starting point, especially for college students who don't want to live on campus. The gremlins in one of the apartments nearly drove my sim insane. Also, if you have a rich single sim the ritzy apartments are incredible, and they have great views too.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I play rotationally and use the apartments regularly. I have some single sims and some families living in apartments. I like the variety.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I love apartments. I tend to only play in three neighborhoods anyway: San Myshuno, Oasis Springs and Sulani.
    But yes I have said a lot of times City Living is my favorite pack, only rivaled by Get Together.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • sinrasinra Posts: 72 Member
    Far more than expected from a player who doesn't like city life irl. In my current save I have several households living in different parts of San Muyshuno. My current heir has one of his aunts living there with her wife, raising a daughter together. His roommate in university moved there after graduation and his cousin from Sulani moved in with her as they're now dating.

I enjoy having family and friends in a variety of locations, not only for the change of scenery when I rotate between households but in case my active sim visits the area they might drop by for a visit. But I definitely seem to have a persistent habit of my heirs living in San Muyshuno at least once in their life, especially late teens/early young adulthood even though it's not my favourite world. The vibrancy and lively atmosphere of San Muyshuno might be what keeps bringing me back. It also gives me a break from building. I spend a lot of time in build mode as is, because I love that aspect of the game, but sometimes I just want to focus on live mode and simply furnishing an apartment saves me the headache.
  • Nite0wlzNite0wlz Posts: 26 Member
    I love apartments. I wish that we could create our own and make huge complexes.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I used CL very briefly and as they are not as versatile as previous versions I do not occupy them or even move my sims into that city as it gimped for me. I probably would move my sims into aparts in other neighborhoods if it was possible but it is not.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    I have sims live in every apartment and penthouse, I really like playing in San Myshuno and I wish for another City so bad.
    They don't have to make up new festivals (I guess it would be fun tho) but I really want new apartments and penthouses, maybe in another setting, asian or something.
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    Rarely. The game is too slow in the city.
  • KissarahKissarah Posts: 46 Member
    I have a strong preference to using apartments for any sims I start without money or career cheats. Owning an entire house, even with cheap or sparse furniture, just doesn't quite vibe. I really enjoy the play in them, and find it makes socializing a lot more accessible, plus having that full active district at your doorstep is really nice.
    I honestly wish they would make an apartment building lot type so we could add them in other towns! Or at least make another city neighborhood with apartments. The lots have gotten a bit dull.
  • TheShineyEmeraldTheShineyEmerald Posts: 31 Member
    I use apartments A LOT. Probably my favorite part of City Living.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I used CL very briefly and as they are not as versatile as previous versions I do not occupy them or even move my sims into that city as it gimped for me. I probably would move my sims into aparts in other neighborhoods if it was possible but it is not.

Oh, I'd lobe to have apartments in other worlds! It wouldn't need to be as tall builds as in the city, even just 2 apts in a build would be soo good! I'd gladly use a pre-made lot, I wouldn't need to be able building my own apt lots, assuming that would make the feature too complicated....
    Simsandra wrote: »
    I have sims live in every apartment and penthouse, I really like playing in San Myshuno and I wish for another City so bad.
    They don't have to make up new festivals (I guess it would be fun tho) but I really want new apartments and penthouses, maybe in another setting, asian or something.

I'm all in for a new city, but it should include more community lots for shops, restaurants etc. A shopping mall split into many smaller shops that could be categorized differently would be very useful!
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Most of my sims live there and I find playing apartments more fun than playing in houses. Plus San Myshuno is my favorite world.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    Hardly ever. Mostly, they're too small for my taste. I lived in an apartment for the first nine years of my marriage. I have no desire to live in one again.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I don't play in San Myshuno as often as I like. As you mentioned OP, I've always liked my Sims to have a house with a backyard and pool, and a place for my Sims to do their gardens. But I'm currently playing one of my vampire Sims and he's lived in the city his whole life. I moved him to Forgotten Hollow for a bit and he was miserable, so I moved him back to San Myshuno. So I do use it, just not as often. I usually reserve it for my single Sims or my Sims with just 1 kid type of thing.
  • sixdeadqueenssixdeadqueens Posts: 225 Member
    I love the apartments! I like to start in them, save money, not use cheats, use the TLC ones, etc.. and work my way up from scratch!
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I haven’t played in a bit, but I plan on building some apartments and townhomes and utilizing the new roommate system. I wish you could have whole families as roommates tho.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    This past week for the first time ever, I decided to move my University Graduated Sim into the cheapest apartment. Her and her husband are moving up as time goes by. However, yesterday they had triplets. I have never ever had triplets in my game so we will see how it goes. My sim is also collecting the snow globes for the first time too. I am going to all the festivals and just playing a completely different way. Really enjoying it, but normally I play in houses.
  • orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    I start out in apartments a lot, actually. I'm lazy when it comes to building, so it's simpler to just move my sims into an apartment so all I have to worry about it furnishing. My current household lives in an apartment.

I'll probably have them move when they get more money.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited December 2019
    @PhoeSavsMom_83 You can really customize the house lot and the penthouse lots.

@tascha
    I put the criminal sims in the roach infested apartment and then move in sims with colorful backgrounds in the other apartments. I use the cracked walls from jungle adventures and the vomit and blood stains from strangerville and pet scratches and paw prints from cats and dogs to make the apartments rough. The one old eccentric couple I gave the grody lot trait and they would stand in the hall dazed, dirty and confused all the time.

So, yeah if I don't play an active Sim in an apartment I always move Sims I created there and visit them. I grew up in NYC, so I was raised in an apartment and most everyone I knew across the 5 boroughs lived in an apartment. So, apartment playing just seems natural.
    Simsandra wrote: »

@Simsandra San Myshuno is based off Hong Kong. Two of the festivals (romance & spice) are Asian themed.

I think they had the opportunity to introduce duplexes in Del Sol Valley for Get Famous and didn't. Would be nice if they did build and allow us to plop down some apartments in other worlds too, making them only viable as apartments if you have City Living.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱