Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 Realistic or Cartoony?

Comments

• VailsVails Posts: 50 Member
    Neither.
    There needs to be a blend of the two. I don't enjoy how sims look in The Sims 4, even with CC. It looks too clay-like.
    But at the same time, I'm not a huge fan of TS3 graphics.

If there was a blend between the two, that would be fine.
    6h978o3aneec.png
  • lucciealucciea Posts: 99 Member
    Cartoony
    realistic wouldn't fit with the other sims games!
    im weird but i like it that way!

j8k3xea.png
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Cartoony
    I prefer cartoony because I can control how realistic I want my sims to look with CC.
  • Barje07Barje07 Posts: 6 New Member
    Realistic
    I Would prefer a more realistic approach considering I am into the CAS aspect of my Sims Gameplay, I love to see how realistic I can make my sims look, is challenging and fun to me.. Not to mention I think the realistic look would bring an entirely New and interesting approach to the game that would be super fun. Also, Just about a good 75-80% of people are always buying Custom Content that contains the More realistic skins for the sims... So why not just make them look more realistic in the game. I've always preferred realistic Graphics over Cartoony looking things anyway, especially as an Adult.. Leave the cartoons for the Kids... But Us Adults wouldn't mind the realism, Besides does'nt SIMS stand for "REAL LIFE SIMULATOR"... ? Heck if you guys choose to go with the corny Cartoon version, atleast make the realistic version for the Adult consumers who want it, This way you guys make more money and please a Wider audience. IJS... It can work!
  • Barje07Barje07 Posts: 6 New Member
    Realistic
    > @catitude5 said:
    > There are many realistic games out there. I think they should go in a whole new direction, more real, more mature, but that I don't mean, you know. I think many would like to give up the cartoony, silly stuff. It's mostly adults who play this, not kids. Or they could keep it as it is for those who like that way and make a whole new game for those that want something more.

..I agree!!!
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Cartoony
    This poll is super old haha but my vote is cartoony. Sims 4 sims look great. I'd say keep it the same style
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    Realistic
    Saw these screenshots from the game Watch Dogs 2 on a Mod The Sims forum thread. This is pretty close to what I'd want The Sims 5 to look like. (photo credit: AGuyCalledPi)

ivmUUno.jpg
    EfpqnHL.jpg
    33vRPuR.jpg
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • TEXASKITTYKATTEXASKITTYKAT Posts: 5,909 Member
    Realistic
    Realistic
  • EpicChildhood702EpicChildhood702 Posts: 2 New Member
    Realistic
    I think it should be realistic because it's "real life simulation". And it is little weird to see cartoony characters with very realistic animations imo. It would be so weird if GTA 5 was cartoony.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Cartoony
    I would vote for "Stylised cartoon realism".
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Willow_Willow_ Posts: 12 New Member
    Realistic
    A lot of people like cartoony but I prefer realistic. Sure some of the more "funny" aspects would be ruined, but possibly there could be an option between the 2. like almost a switch in the "game options" ?
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    Cartoony
    Like sims 4
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • Cassieb95Cassieb95 Posts: 347 Member
    Cartoony
    I like the cartoony style. If it is realistic, it will be weird for me.
  • darlingdeviantdarlingdeviant Posts: 36 Member
    I'd like a good cross between the two. More realism in the sense that they need to make the game more inclusive and representative of real people in the real world, i.e. better skintones. However, I think the cartoony art style is what makes The Sims what it is. I do agree with making it more polished, in the sense of more mature gameplay, like others have mentioned.
    The ocean does not apologize for its depth and the mountains do not seek forgiveness for the space they take; so, neither shall I.
    Origin ID/Gallery ID: darlingdeviant
    My Simblr (CAS challenges/lookbooks): thedarlingdeviant.tumblr.com

• Dez_The_Foxy_SimmerDez_The_Foxy_Simmer Posts: 5 New Member
    I would love it to be more realistic! Not super realistic, but more customization, like more realistic eyes, eyelashes, you can add pimples and more detailed freckles, add highlights, maybe realistic lips, but still obviously realistic. It would also be awesome if they added parental controls, like adding the ability to turn off woohoo, the option to turn off certain deaths, and such. Like with parental controls you can turn off romance completely or have them only be able to kiss on the cheek and maybe hold hands and go on minor dates. And if you want them to have a baby you just click have baby and bam they’re pregnant, no woohoo. You could maybe turn off birth so a baby just appears in a bassinet. And you can still get married if it’s turned on, if not you just click become husband and wife, and THEY MARRIED. Basically I want kids to be able to play. They should also add A preschool Age in between toddler and child, add tween between child and teen, and another old age. Like grandparent age, 50-70, elder would be 70+. These extra ages could be turned off and they aren’t available on short lifespan. Maybe be able to actually go to school. Some also things would be that pets would be in base game, along with seasons. Also cars, and get back the open world from sims 3, aka being able to go house to house in a neighborhood without a loading screen (still a loading screen between neighborhoods). Last thing the consoles would be almost the same as pc, like we’d be able to use cheats without turning off achievements. We should at least be able to be able to modify in cas without turning off cheats. Anyways that’s my rant about what should be included in sims 5. (And it’s related bc most of this stuff is realistic.)
  • ZoraZeldaZoraZelda Posts: 29 Member
    Cartoony
    I would love it if it was cartoony but not childish. I don't want the Sims to try and turn into a kiddy game. As far as looks go I like the more cartoony look but not so cartoony it looks like I'm watching a Disney movie. I just want a balance of a less realistic look, but with more mature and drama-filled gameplay. I'm worried it will be childish so much so that they try and remove woohoo or death and stuff like that, because like it or not life is full of that and this is a life-simulation game.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Cartoony
    Reading the above gives me some thoughts: that comic books and superhero everything, is successful because it's NOT realistic, but exemplifies something in a way that only cartoons can, and in that way, is more expressive, more concentrated, more emotive.

I get liking that. But TS4 characters take emotion in the face, sometimes to a ridiculous degree with the lunatic ecstatic happiness, the overly-wide eyes of excitement that in many cultures would simply be a sign of madness, and that's hard to look at. The overly comically semicircular frown, exaggerated beyond what normal human faces can do, like the lips form an actual half-circle downward...that's too much, makes it all ludicrous.

But the idea of "realistic" that TS3 had was just gross and ugly to me, kind of like (and I know I'll make some enemies here, possibly of former friends) Fallout 4... I really kinda hate that brand of realism at least how it looks on my PS4. Like do we need skin textures when it makes everyone look like badly made playdough with pockmarks?

I notice the style so far on Paralives is more stylized and cartoon, for the characters, than the Sims, but certain other things like the lighting, are far more realistic.

Cartoon style does really well at communicating gesture and emotion, whereas realism makes it more immersive, so long as the realism can also evoke the intangibles well...if it doesn't, it's this ugly gritty meat puppet effect.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    edited November 2020
    Cartoony
    I mean, the overall tone of the series from the flavor text, the exaggerated animations from posture and facial, the ridiculous WooHoo locations, and the books you read perfectly suit a cartoony style and should continue going in that direction. This is the series that jokes about llamas all the time after all.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Cartoony
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    I mean, the overall tone of the series from the flavor text, the exaggerated animations from posture and facial, the ridiculous WooHoo locations, and the books you read perfectly suit a cartoony style and should continue going in that direction. This is the series that jokes about llamas all the time after all.

trying to figure out which woohoo locations are ridiculous, other than the dumpster one?
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Cartoony
    I think we need a blend of the two.

Realistic graphics is the easiest way of dating a game, within a matter of years new games will come out with more realistic characters and then the games graphics will look outdated. Sims 3 looks incredibly outdated because of the graphics and if 4 had realistic graphics when it came out it would also look outdated by now.

I think they should stick with the more "cartoony" feel and then add more realistic touches to that, things like body hair and more facial features would be the best bet in my opinion.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Cartoony
    I like something in between, but leaning more towards the cartoon side of things. Obviously I don't want it to go Simpsons or South Park with the cartoon design, but the more realistic they go the closer to uncanny valley they go, too. I have already spent one iteration disliking the graphics and struggling to make visibly acceptable sims (3), and I have no desire to go back to that.

Unfortunately, appearance is a big part of designing sims, so even great gameplay is somewhat marred if you cannot craft your attachments to them. Here's hoping they can balance it well.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    Cartoony
    Ray_Trace wrote: »

trying to figure out which woohoo locations are ridiculous, other than the dumpster one?

The coffin too. I dunno, maybe anything that's not a king-sized bed is weird to me.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • MalalupisMalalupis Posts: 25 Member
    Realistic
    I think realistic would be very cool.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Realistic
    Right in the middle I feel is where TS4 is at, and where it really should be; leaning a bit more towards photorealistic. I think photorealistic Sims; while I'd like them, the art style of most games with photorealistic characters is a little gritty in my opinion. And for sure, nothing cartooish; as to the point it looks like something out of anime or an animated family film.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Realistic
    Realistic, but not too realistic. Realistic as in, a realistic artstyle. No oversized eyes, no lego hair, no pre-school color pallets, no over the top animations for talking, no angry poops, no talking toilets, no woohoo fist bumps, no crazy cooking animations, you get the gist.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1