Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 needs a difficulty system.

Comments

• SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,957 Member
    edited December 2019
    I loved the 3 active jobs in ‘Get To Work’ because I saw them as a type of challenge for my sims. I thought they did a good job with the work places too. But so many people complained that they weren’t sand box enough and next thing you know all the following active jobs became semi active. It was so disappointing to me. I don’t mind a work at home option. But, the active part just got so watered down it was no longer a challenge. I would have loved to see the politician job a real active career with a workplace. The same with the military career.

I also remember one of the older games where you had to buy your clothes and keep them in a dresser. You also bought jewelry and accessories. It not only made the game more of a challenge, but it actually made it more fun to make clothing stores. The same with babies and toddlers in the sims 2 you had to actually work at taking care of them, I enjoyed the challenge. You had to hire a babysitter if you worked. It was just so much more challenging.

Even strangerville was much less of a challenge than I was hoping it would be and I was sure hoping the military career would be an active one with a base.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,442 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Nindigo wrote: »
    I disagree with OP.

The Sims is what you make it to be. You can impose all kinds of rules on your play to make it difficult - take on challenges and whatnot. Try a challenge on short lifespand, etc.

The Sims is like a virtual dollhouse. If you get bored playing, find a different game to test your limits. The Sims is not about difficulty. It's a game of creativity and living out ideas.

Exactly what I was thinking. One of the best things about S4 is being able to switch aspirations on the fly. You can always impose rules on yourself to make it more difficult - there is nothing stopping you from making a rule in your game that aspirations can't be changed. Just because a toddler or kid can take care of herself doesn't mean you have to play it that way - my parents spend most of their time teaching and caring for their toddlers, and they always help with homework and projects and have family meals together.

Will Wright imagined players as the director - it's not a game in which you cope with whatever the game throws at your Sim, but rather, a game in which you decide what to throw at your Sim.

This isn't quite correct. Will Wright's original intention for The Sims was to explore states of failure because it was more interesting and engaging than consistent success. The purpose of the actual gameplay was for the player to decide if they would allow Sim needs and aspirations to bottom out, resulting in Sims having breakdowns or dying, ...or if they would care for their needs and goals, resulting in happiness and fulfillment. It put the player in the position of a God. The entire premise was to put the fate of the Sims in the player's hands, and when you activated live mode, the game would creep towards failure without player intervention. And there were higher chances of random failure and disaster from unskilled Sims. The player creativity came mostly from build mode and the extra content, but the essence and the core of the actual gameplay was to simulate ultimate failure if left to its own devices. It was more about getting through life's obstacles and the struggle to succeed and meet fulfillment while confronting fears and failures, so when the player finally got their Sim to reach their end goal in their aspiration, there was a sense of accomplishment and reward. It was satisfying because it had challenge and purpose.

The game used to be a lot more than a simple virtual dollhouse of happiness. It used to be an actual game. The devolution of the series has led it to become more of the opposite of what it used to be; it's now a Utopia simulator with the option of failures that actually need to be more forced into happening, which is why people get bored all the time. The challenges and obstacles have been neutralized. It has completely lost its way from Will Wright's original design. And I'm not saying many people don't enjoy Sims 4 for what it is or are wrong for doing so, but it's definitely not the kind of game that Will Wright had intended.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright.

It's never been a game to me - it's always been about telling stories through my Sims. In previous iterations, I used a number of mods to take out things that I found difficult or not suited to my storytelling. (For example, I always eliminated the requirement of making and keeping eight billion friends in order to get promoted. In S4, if you like that sort of challenge, you can try the 'Friend of the World' or serial-romance aspirations, or simply set a goal for your Sim to make a certain number of friends. Why does this have to be imposed on those of us who don't like that aspect of the game?)

That's what makes the Sims different from every other game - there are very few game-imposed requirements. You decide how to play, rather than the game making up scenarios for you to navigate. That's the difference between being the director and a role-player.

In theory, yes, we should be able to direct it as we wish. That's what we were able to do in past games (although I agree that the requirement to make a bazillion friends to network in order to get promoted was annoying) but the thing is, I'm not finding this to be true of Sims 4 at all, because this game is actually more restricting in the direction it wants the player to go. Sims 4 doesn't start off in a neutral state and let the player choose if they want to be benevolent or malicious toward the Sims. It begins with the scales already tipped in favor of consistent happiness. The default emotion is "Happy", not "Fine", as it should be. There are happy buffs just for having full needs. There are happy buffs just for eating a good meal. There are happy buffs for having a picture on the wall. This is what makes the game feel like it's in easy mode because a player just begins playing and there's hardly anything to strive for. It's like the game says, "Here's a bunch of happy buffs - you win! Happy Sims! That's what you want, right?"

But what if that's not the story I want to direct? If I want to play a lonely, gloomy Sim who lives in a mansion, the decoration buffs are going to make him happy. So I have to take all the decorations off the walls? Give him lousy furniture? I have to make sure that somehow his cooking never improves because that's going to make him happy too? And his needs can't be full? How does any of this even make sense? Why aren't these things in a neutral position, and buffs determined by the traits that the player gives them? This is why people want another play mode for the game. It is, by default, on "Happy" mode. That's not leaving the direction in the player's hands.

Here's another example. I have two Sims in Uni who are friends. One has a good reputation, is a goofball and genius, the other has a slightly bad reputation, is a mean genius, and they were out by the statue at night when a Sim from the opposing school came to deface the statue. I wanted to have them both yell at her and picked a fight, with the mean one escalating to violence. Well, the good one wandered off somewhere after yelling, which is fine, but after slinging insults with the mean one, as soon as my selected animation is done, the game controlled idle chit chat takes over and suddenly they're having a pleasant conversation and smiling at each other and building the relationship back into the positives. So I have to fight against the game to get my Sim to behave in accordance with the traits that I, the player, selected for her? That's baloney. I should be able to do it easily.

I've never seen so many players talk about boredom in reference to a Sims game as they do with Sims 4. There's definitely a reason for that. For anyone who wants actual drama in their gameplay, or obstacles, or challenge, it's a challenge in itself to get the game to play out that way. Even during the SimGuru Garage streams with Morgan trying to kill off Sims and display deviant play, you can see that she struggles to get something to happen and ends up having to force it because the game fights for it's Utopia. There's a complete lack of drama.

The game always pushes for happiness, success, friendship, and living without consequences. Many players like this, it's true. And I honestly do find ways to enjoy the game or I wouldn't be here. There are a lot of things I think are great about it. But I get frustrated with it on a regular basis and I have to agree with the OP that the base game could really have used some "difficulty" settings to make it more flexible for those who don't like to play "happily ever after". Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed. Difficulty settings most likely would have had to be built into the base game before launch, so I don't think it's something we'll ever see.
    #Team Occult
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,427 Member
    edited December 2019
    So_Money wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    The game should really throw more unexpected curveballs aside from the occasional career pop-up to make us think and plan ahead of how we would respond.

This. 100 times this. I’ve always said that this game is crying out for choice & consequence gameplay that extends beyond career performance boosts.
    Making it more like TS2 would be a good place to start, and include most of the ideas mentioned.
    These. If you're wondering why people are criticising TS4 for being too monotonously easy, you should really look no further than these two posts. Why do you think people keep bringing up the TS4's predecessors in these kinds of discussions?
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I disagree with OP.

The Sims is what you make it to be. You can impose all kinds of rules on your play to make it difficult - take on challenges and whatnot. Try a challenge on short lifespand, etc.

The Sims is like a virtual dollhouse. If you get bored playing, find a different game to test your limits. The Sims is not about difficulty. It's a game of creativity and living out ideas.

Exactly what I was thinking. One of the best things about S4 is being able to switch aspirations on the fly. You can always impose rules on yourself to make it more difficult - there is nothing stopping you from making a rule in your game that aspirations can't be changed. Just because a toddler or kid can take care of herself doesn't mean you have to play it that way - my parents spend most of their time teaching and caring for their toddlers, and they always help with homework and projects and have family meals together.

Will Wright imagined players as the director - it's not a game in which you cope with whatever the game throws at your Sim, but rather, a game in which you decide what to throw at your Sim.

This isn't quite correct. Will Wright's original intention for The Sims was to explore states of failure because it was more interesting and engaging than consistent success. The purpose of the actual gameplay was for the player to decide if they would allow Sim needs and aspirations to bottom out, resulting in Sims having breakdowns or dying, ...or if they would care for their needs and goals, resulting in happiness and fulfillment. It put the player in the position of a God. The entire premise was to put the fate of the Sims in the player's hands, and when you activated live mode, the game would creep towards failure without player intervention. And there were higher chances of random failure and disaster from unskilled Sims. The player creativity came mostly from build mode and the extra content, but the essence and the core of the actual gameplay was to simulate ultimate failure if left to its own devices. It was more about getting through life's obstacles and the struggle to succeed and meet fulfillment while confronting fears and failures, so when the player finally got their Sim to reach their end goal in their aspiration, there was a sense of accomplishment and reward. It was satisfying because it had challenge and purpose.

The game used to be a lot more than a simple virtual dollhouse of happiness. It used to be an actual game. The devolution of the series has led it to become more of the opposite of what it used to be; it's now a Utopia simulator with the option of failures that actually need to be more forced into happening, which is why people get bored all the time. The challenges and obstacles have been neutralized. It has completely lost its way from Will Wright's original design. And I'm not saying many people don't enjoy Sims 4 for what it is or are wrong for doing so, but it's definitely not the kind of game that Will Wright had intended.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright.

It's never been a game to me - it's always been about telling stories through my Sims. In previous iterations, I used a number of mods to take out things that I found difficult or not suited to my storytelling. (For example, I always eliminated the requirement of making and keeping eight billion friends in order to get promoted. In S4, if you like that sort of challenge, you can try the 'Friend of the World' or serial-romance aspirations, or simply set a goal for your Sim to make a certain number of friends. Why does this have to be imposed on those of us who don't like that aspect of the game?)

That's what makes the Sims different from every other game - there are very few game-imposed requirements. You decide how to play, rather than the game making up scenarios for you to navigate. That's the difference between being the director and a role-player.

THIS!!! I see a lot of people in various places asking for a harder things in the sims. But I always thought it's suppose to be more about the "dollhouse" aspect of it. I gave up on my sims going to university. It wasn't impossible but it was challenging compared to a lot of other packs. I realized I don't play the sims for a super hard challenge. I play it for the story telling and make my own challenges. I like that I can make things hard for my sims or use cheats and let them float through life. But at the end of the day it's my choice.
    There are a few things I would change but for the most part, I also am apposed to making the game harder. I want to tell my own stories. I don't think it's too easy I think it's neutral so that players can decide. And if I ever feel I want to be challenged I won't play the sims. I'll play one of the many other games there is out there. But I don't what makes sims unique to change. There is no other game like this and that's why I love it 😆😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I think it already can be very difficult depending on how you play. I tried mods but didn't like most of them, except a couple little ms sam ones I use to run a foster home and daycare in one save

Often I play a single aim with 6 or 7 babies and toddlers and it is hard haha but other times I just like to play easier files and just focus on one kid or something.

I do like that we can switch aspirations though and it's easy enough to not switch if people want to complete one at a time. More get to work style jobs would be great though
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited December 2019
    Real life is hard, full of challenge and death. I don't want that in my game. I like my utopia where everyone lives forever, happily ever after. When I want challenge, I create something like an ambitious elder with eight toddlers, starting out with $100, attending school to better herself while working to survive. Or I create internal rules, like charging my Sim money if they leave the lot. Or I create a hotheaded loner who wants a million friends but yells at everyone. Simply creating a household with seven pets presents plenty of challenges! Sims spend all their time cleaning up and trying to keep the pets from running away!

I agree that more active careers would be nice. I really enjoy them.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Playing families with pets, toddlers, kids and adults with careers is a challenge when you rotate through each family and you know you have to return to each household within four Sim days or your toddlers don't learn skills, the kids don't go to school and the adults don't advance in their careers while not being active. And the pets are sick or starving with full bladders. I use a mod that keeps househod funds at a realistic level by donating more to charity which raises their good reputation level. The biggest challenge for me, is trying to find workarounds for the glitches and bugs, or adding new gameplay, better personalities, and fixing bugs through the use of mods. I wish this use of mods wasn't needed in order to tweak the game into something I can be happy with. But it has become the way of things with Sims4.

I test my skill as a player by adding certain rules for myself. No extra money cheats, adding mods that only alter gameplay, fix bugs, or end irritations. And giving each family a lot to do and accomplish requires a lot of effort and thought, too. I take advantage of the vacation worlds even though it takes me out of my comfort zone when I am focused on reaching a certain promotion, skill level, or things have become stale and repititious in a certain household. I use mods that do away with certain buffs so keeping my Sims in a happy mood takes a bit of juggling. There are ways to make the game more of a challenge. The trick is finding what will make it a challenge for you. We cannot rely on the teams to make the game more complex and challenging. The past couple of packs proved that to be a fact. It is up to us, the players, to find new ways of playing in a way that adds difficulty and surprises. The fact we have an entire discussion on this forum devoted to mods clearly indicates EA is aware Sims4 needs help, and has made it easier for players to openly discuss mods and share how these mods changed their game. There are many player-created challenges that are fun to play, and can keep a player busy for weeks. I stopped expecting the teams to bring the kind of gameplay I would like to see, a long time ago. It isn't going to happen. Not in Sims4.
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I use mods to make things more difficult, but it would be nice to have a lot of parameters I could change in-game.

Job payment, bill costs, new tuition costs, bill defaulting punishments, harder to make friends, harder to repair relationships, easier for sims to lose their job, etc.

Things like that could be edited on a save-per-save basis and keep the game fresh w/o mods.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited December 2019
    sam123 wrote: »
    I am speaking for myself and what I see when I read through the forums, comments on YT videos, and other media. I see many people stating that the game really is too easy. Have you seen many people complaining that the game is too hard? I have yet to see many of these types of comments... Having an OPTIONAL difficulty increase for players that want more challenge does not affect your game play at all. :)

Only a fraction of the total sum of Sims players can be found on these forums and social media. People who aren't complaining usually don't have a problem. How many are not complaining compared to how many are? You see "many" people stating the game is too easy? How many are we talking? Please don't pretend to be the voice of "many" unless you can back it up with solid fact. So many do this and it's so wrong.

I personally don't want a difficulty system of any kind. I think people need to get creative with the game as it is, or seek their challenges elsewhere. That's my opinion.
    Post edited by Nindigo on

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    I disagree with OP.

Exactly; it was never meant to be a game game, it was supposed to be a sandbox. They started adding more and more goals as time went on to try and get more traditional players, I think. I get people wanting some games to be harder, and I hear it all the time (in Fallout, etc). It's just really not what the sims was ever supposed to be about (winning and all those little endorphin rushes). But yeah, unpredictability, more variety in how sims act so they're fun to put in different situations, and being surprised is what should be keeping the game interesting. Something closer to a good role playing game, maybe.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2019
    Honestly I rather have a failure system than a difficulty system. I would love for aspiration failures, wants and fears, and a social requirement for jobs to make the game more balanced. I would love for an overall of the whole emotion system too so Sims feel more different from each other and have more negative traits and lots traits in the game. The game is so over run by happy traits and buffs, it doesn't balance it with other emotions unless a potion or berry or supernatural power influences it. I also find work from home jobs more challenging than active careers. I get bored how easy and mundane the active careers are in the game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    While I prefer the game's difficulty level as is, I can understand why people want this. I'd be perfectly fine with it being added in, especially if it's something I can opt into or out of. I personally love aspirations as they are in S4. I really loved S2, but I ran into a fair amount of aspiration failure that didn't always jive with the story I was trying to tell. I am primarily a story teller with this game. What I love about it most is how open it is to me using my creativity to make things happen. I'm deeply connected to the sims in my main save, so I don't feel like the game is lacking in difficulty (for me personally) because I've got my own challenges to play out. From a gameplay perspective though, I totally get why people get bored easily. If you're looking for game mechanics to offer challenges, you won't find it in this iteration of the franchise. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but it is an obvious thing.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
    sam123 wrote: »
    I am speaking for myself and what I see when I read through the forums, comments on YT videos, and other media. I see many people stating that the game really is too easy. Have you seen many people complaining that the game is too hard? I have yet to see many of these types of comments... Having an OPTIONAL difficulty increase for players that want more challenge does not affect your game play at all. :)

Only a fraction of the total sum of Sims players can be found on these forums and social media. People who aren't complaining usually don't have a problem. How many are not complaining compared to how many are? You see "many" people stating the game is too easy? How many are we talking? Please don't pretend to be the voice of "many" unless you can back it up with solid fact. So many do this and it's so wrong.

I personally don't want a difficulty system of any kind. I think people need to get creative with the game as it is, or seek their challenges elsewhere. That's my opinion.

They don't need to "back it up with solid fact" because they are speaking from personal experience. Can you back up your own claim that "So many do this"? You have done the exact same thing. :D The truth is, no one needs "facts" to make a request or to express what they've seen. Not everyone uses the same media so it's going to be different for everyone. If you want evidence of people making the same criticism, just read some of the longer threads in the Feedback section and you'll find that two major complaints about Sims 4 over there come down to it being "too easy" and "too boring". This doesn't negate the part of the player base who have no issues with the game of course, but it does show representation is there for the OP's request.

The OP is asking for something optional that is not invasive to other people's games. If you don't want it, fair enough, but trying to silence someone by insisting they need facts to represent an opinion is rude.

I hope that if there's a Sims 5 in development, that the devs consider building difficulty and drama levels in the game. The earlier games most certainly had more challenge to them and more actual gameplay and obstacles. The Sims 4....doesn't. Because the player base of four iterations are now all mixed in, I feel that the best solution moving forward is to do something to implement an impact tool so players can select how much interference and challenge comes up in their games.

And I just want to say that yes, Will Wright did make a game to put players in charge. He made a God game so the player could decide the fate of the Sims, good or bad, rough or easy, success or failure. But the point is, he still made a game, with trials and tribulations, not a happiness simulator that people had to scrounge to make challenging. The challenges were already built in. People who want more difficulty or drama aren't asking for an MMO here. Some of us are just asking to have those choices back to be able to have bad relationships play out, to have to work for rewards, and to be able to choose to have negative results. It used to be that the cheats existed for those who wanted to bypass obstacles. But if you remove the obstacles from the game completely, there's no cheat for players to put them back in. This removes options. And I'm saying this as someone who used a lot of cheats when I played Sims 2 to override when difficulties got too out of hand and threw a monkey wrench into my intentions. But I never would have chosen to remove those difficulties completely.
    #Team Occult
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I play stories, it is what I do in every single game I play.

SWTOR: When I was doing quests I would only pick up one or two quests at the time and only keep one companion or perhaps mix between two if I felt that the story would jive with a group of three. After handing in that quest I would go to a cantina or something similar and switch companions so that all my comps got to see every planet. The team had to update each other and hang out. All of them had top-gear. Ehh.... this was before the upgrade when they removed gear-stats. Started in BETA and I still haven’t had time to play all class-stories, I just get so wrapped up in my stories taking place inside the game, lol.

I play in order to do stories, it is wonderful.

Hmm... I love playing my sims who are just rolling along and living life. That works very well and if my kiddo has had 4 nights in a row with waking up every couple of hours it is pretty much therapy to take a sim fishing in Sulani.

I am just not having as much fun when I am trying to tell other stories. I feel like my sims sometimes skill too fast for my stories. I take time, see SWTOR above, all my sims have friends and family that they interact with. According to MCCC I am on week 15 in this save and 2:nd generation heir is almost halfway through the YA-stage. If I didn’t use mods the heir and his wife would have maxed cooking, handiness, singing, writing and fitness all in their YA-stage and that is not the story I am telling. They would be the power-couple of doom, I don’t want them to be so very good at everything.

For me it is not about wanting the game to go grim dark. I want to tell long stories with highs and lows, with happy moments and sad ones and I do get irritated with the game when I feel hampered. I have played challenges and that was a fun way to try the game but I would like to be able to get that sense of challenge in my stories and not by giving my sims challenges that doesn’t suit their story. I could give my heir and his wife 6 kids to raise but that would not fit their story and that is not where I want my legacy to go. I feel like I am at odds with the game when it comes to playing stories that have sadness or a trying to get a sense of animosity between sims. When I try to get just a little touch of adrenaline.

It’s like playing mario carts on the Nintendo switch, the AI can drag you around the course by itself. Sure you may hit a few cows on the way but it works. Move just a little bit left or right and you will be happy and head up to 2:nd place in no time. That can be fun at times. Me trying to get my creative side going and tell a story with some gray in it feels like trying to leave the track fighting the AI and pushing to the side as much as I can while the faithful AI happily drags me along the road.

I would like to see some optional ways of adding more challenges to my stories. Oki, one way to tackle it could perhaps be more traits. Debuffs that you could add as traits from the reward-store or lot-traits could be good way for me to have more variety in my households and letting the game have a different sense of difficulty depending on the players own choices. I really like the reward-traits from the Parenthood Game Pack and use them often.

Hypothetical reward-traits from the store:
    Fitness-skill will go up slower
    Restless sleep, this sim sometimes wakes up and find it difficult to fall asleep again

Hypothetical lot-traits:
    Higher bills, this lot will have 15 % higher bills. (I would give it to all lots placed in nice areas.)
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I think people need to get creative with the game as it is, or seek their challenges elsewhere. That's my opinion.

I think having an option to increase the difficulty of the various game wouldn't harm you in the slightest, the same way we can adjust age lengths through optional settings.

Seems strange to tell others to seek challenges elsewhere when the predecessors of the same game had the level of challenge many liked.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    It defenitely needs it.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2019
    I have to disagree with difficulty levels *such as toggles, for The Sims. My problem with this iteration is there are way too many failsafes. Or whatever you want to call it. I enjoyed my Sims had to eat about every four or five hours in the past games. I understand others don't. But motives were what pushed players to care for their Sims and try to keep them safe. I understand some found TS1 extremely difficult to play but it's because some approached the game (per game console players and critiques) as if it was a win type game where you leveled up and won the game after you had completed some goal such as getting to the top of a career. But The Sims were not built to actually be played that way, but that was a side thing while they dealt with Life. Life happens. Getting hungry, dying, getting sick, dying, getting an illness, dying, accidents such as fires/dying,cheaters/betrayal/divorce/revenge etc. etc.

But not in TS4. I don't expect my Sim to pull out some imaginary food if I haven't supplied them with food. But that is exactly what they do or can do. I wonder why Maxis thinks that's ok and tries to protect a teenager or an adult from the harm that might happen to the Sim if they had no food. It would seem they want to protect the child that may be playing rather than a teenager who has dealt with far worse in raw rpgs that are more intense and harmful to a character. It's not that I want to spend all my time making sure the Sim is fed, but good grief, remove the baby failsafes. I expect difficulty to work the same way. If my Sim eats better food I expect them to stay healthier, live longer, or not gain weight, or get an illness etc. But if they don't, I would expect my Sims would keel over from my bad management of their life. I don't expect the game to save the Sim for me by supplying them with food they pull out of a pocket somewhere and won't die. I also don't expect every Sim in the world to be able to extinquish a fire without some sort of training and just pull out a fire extinquisher from nowhere. That to me is so babyfied. If I don't supply them with some sort of fire alarm etc I don't expec them to have a canister hidden in a pocket. This is the difference in TS4 and TS1 and the others. And in TS2 Sims may fail to put out a fire if they haven't studied how to do that. At least read the canister instructions.

Also, I expect Sims to have human behavior such as anger and resentment and wanting revenge if their partner cheats on them, I don't expect them to behave like they do in TS4 and start joking with the home wrecker and want to be friends and do lunch. People want reality but that's not reality, human behavior and emotions are just not that polite. Let's get real, TS4 is Utopia and that's it's whole problem. I don't need levers in the game to set difficulty, I just need the game to grow up.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I have to disagree with difficulty levels *such as toggles, for The Sims. My problem with this iteration is there are way too many failsafes. Or whatever you want to call it. I enjoyed my Sims had to eat about every four or five hours in the past games. I understand others don't. But motives were what pushed players to care for their Sims and try to keep them safe. I understand some found TS1 extremely difficult to play but it's because some approached the game (per game console players and critiques) as if it was a win type game where you leveled up and won the game after you had completed some goal such as getting to the top of a career. But The Sims were not built to actually be played that way, but that was a side thing while they dealt with Life. Life happens. Getting hungry, dying, getting sick, dying, getting an illness, dying, accidents such as fires/dying,cheaters/betrayal/divorce/revenge etc. etc.

But not in TS4. I don't expect my Sim to pull out some imaginary food if I haven't supplied them with food. But that is exactly what they do or can do. I wonder why Maxis thinks that's ok and tries to protect a teenager or an adult from the harm that might happen to the Sim if they had no food. It would seem they want to protect the child that may be playing rather than a teenager who has dealt with far worse in raw rpgs that are more intense and harmful to a character. It's not that I want to spend all my time making sure the Sim is fed, but good grief, remove the baby failsafes. I expect difficulty to work the same way. If my Sim eats better food I expect them to stay healthier, live longer, or not gain weight, or get an illness etc. But if they don't, I would expect my Sims would keel over from my bad management of their life. I don't expect the game to save the Sim for me by supplying them with food they pull out of a pocket somewhere and won't die. I also don't expect every Sim in the world to be able to extinquish a fire without some sort of training and just pull out a fire extinquisher from nowhere. That to me is so babyfied. If I don't supply them with some sort of fire alarm etc I don't expec them to have a canister hidden in a pocket. This is the difference in TS4 and TS1 and the others. And in TS2 Sims may fail to put out a fire if they haven't studied how to do that. At least read the canister instructions.

Also, I expect Sims to have human behavior such as anger and resentment and wanting revenge if their partner cheats on them, I don't expect them to behave like they do in TS4 and start joking with the home wrecker and want to be friends and do lunch. People want reality but that's not reality, human behavior and emotions are just not that polite. Let's get real, TS4 is Utopia and that's it's whole problem. I don't need levers in the game to set difficulty, I just need the game to grow up.

Absolutely. The fail-safes in the game cushion every possible surprise or obstacle that might influence a character. For example, in Jungle Adventures, which is supposed to be a dangerous endeavor, we get prevention options, which is great, but on top of that, the game gives us a gazillion warnings and like, two Sim days to avoid death by poisonings and then by the end of it, the Sim usually ends up safe anyway.

We really need some believable negative behaviors too, desperately. Consequences, man!
    #Team Occult

Absolutely. The fail-safes in the game cushion every possible surprise or obstacle that might influence a character. For example, in Jungle Adventures, which is supposed to be a dangerous endeavor, we get prevention options, which is great, but on top of that, the game gives us a gazillion warnings and like, two Sim days to avoid death by poisonings and then by the end of it, the Sim usually ends up safe anyway.

We really need some believable negative behaviors too, desperately. Consequences, man!
    I miss consequences too. Major factor of why the game was never called a life simulation game when it was released. It is so politically correct of the warped privileged views it makes me feel ill sometimes. If any game makes me feel like I'm trapped in a prison it is the Sims 4.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ForkySporkyForkySporky Posts: 91 Member

This is how I feel. I loved that I had to try. I loved that sometimes everything went wrong and I had to help.

I get that people like sandbox mode, but I don't feel like I should have to be imposing rules on myself. I shouldn't have to be making a game for the game. Just give me a game. A challenging or at least interesting game. I shouldn't have to be using cheats constantly so I'm not able to afford things.

I want furnishings and homes to degrade in price like they used to. I want conversations and friendship and seduction to be difficult like it used to be. I want to have to try!

And I want a quick toggle back to sandbox mode for the people who don't. You can put it right next to the "vampire", "alien", and "strangerville storyline" toggles that I also want XD.

I guess my point is that I want difficulty levels as suggested by OP.
  • secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    MMX wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »
    The game should really throw more unexpected curveballs aside from the occasional career pop-up to make us think and plan ahead of how we would respond.

This. 100 times this. I’ve always said that this game is crying out for choice & consequence gameplay that extends beyond career performance boosts.
    Making it more like TS2 would be a good place to start, and include most of the ideas mentioned.
    These. If you're wondering why people are criticising TS4 for being too monotonously easy, you should really look no further than these two posts. Why do you think people keep bringing up the TS4's predecessors in these kinds of discussions?

Nostalgia I think. The past was always better etc.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i fully disagree with the original post i find the sims4 perfect as it is
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    I think people need to get creative with the game as it is, or seek their challenges elsewhere. That's my opinion.

I think having an option to increase the difficulty of the various game wouldn't harm you in the slightest, the same way we can adjust age lengths through optional settings.

Seems strange to tell others to seek challenges elsewhere when the predecessors of the same game had the level of challenge many liked.

I don't understand it either.
    This is how I feel. I loved that I had to try. I loved that sometimes everything went wrong and I had to help.

I get that people like sandbox mode, but I don't feel like I should have to be imposing rules on myself. I shouldn't have to be making a game for the game. Just give me a game. A challenging or at least interesting game. I shouldn't have to be using cheats constantly so I'm not able to afford things.

I want furnishings and homes to degrade in price like they used to. I want conversations and friendship and seduction to be difficult like it used to be. I want to have to try!

And I want a quick toggle back to sandbox mode for the people who don't. You can put it right next to the "vampire", "alien", and "strangerville storyline" toggles that I also want XD.

I guess my point is that I want difficulty levels as suggested by OP.
    Sandbox is far from easy. Sims 4 tends to impose rules onto people so it is far distant than being a sandbox game. In order for a game to be sandbox, there is literally no rules or very few and game is meant to be easy or as hard as you want. Why Minecraft does so well and the storymode version is going away. Rules don't stick, but creativity does. Anyway in order for there to be a sandbox toggle, sandbox style would have to be developed into the game and let Simmers be gods in their own games again instead of all the rules constricting game play. Anyway quite interesting how much the Sims has strayed from the "Challenge everything" slogan. I think it is a trend in game I have noticed about people complaining games being too hard and sadly it has hit the Sims franchise too. Sims 1 was hard and still remains the most challenging iteration. Games I grew up with were harder. But yeah I don't know why games are getting dumber over time. Thankfully there are still options for sandbox games thanks to Paradox with Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo which are drawing many life simulation players towards those. I need to rule a game for it to be sandbox. If I am given limited tools and restricted rules, a game becomes a sand bucket and shovel rather than a full fledged sandbox. I don't need my games dumbed downed and condensed smaller. I need them expanded especially since society already has survival of the fittest mentality which confines people into small sand buckets that only a small percentage of people focusing on the idea that brawn matters more than brains. You would think brawn would be able to lift a sandbox game over a sand bucket game, but such is the topsy-turvy society that is. Sadly Sims 4 is made for the light sand bucket both in design and game play. A leopard would have to change its spots for the Sims 4 to be even close to a sandbox game again especially compared to what is in the gaming market now for sandbox games.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member

In my defense, I wrote 'I think..' which is definitely not "telling" people. I expressed my personal opinion. Understanding it is not a requirement, but please do not twist the meaning of my statement.

@sam123 I find it equally strange to state a thing like this thread's title does, as if it is a general truth. I actually find it offensive when people do that. It can be a personal opinion - never a general truth. The title cound instead be 'I feel this game needs a difficulty system..'.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted