Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How often do you live in an apartment?

For those of you who have city living, how often do you find yourself moving a new save into an apartment? I personally always place my new families in an actual house. I have had city living since it came out, and only once have I actually placed a new sim into an apartment, and she was a single sim and I only did it because I had just gotten CL. I find that I prefer having families living in a house so they can have a backyard, a pool, a jungle gym for the kids, and I find it a better experience for seasons because you can have decorations on the outside of your house, and rake leaves in the fall, play in the mud, have snowball fights in the winter. Currently I have just moved a single mom and her teen daughter into an apartment, but that was only after living in a bungalow while the daughter was a toddler, and a kid. So, how often do you really live in San Myshuno?

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited December 2019
    After Duane Talla from Sulani cheated on his wife, I had them go through a “separation” where his wife and kids stayed in Sulani and he had to move to one of those roach infested apartments in San Myshuno. While he was there, I had him earn his University degree and take up freelance photography.

Then he moved back home with a fresh attitude and some skills and they tried again. Lol it was a nice change of pace because he didn’t take much money with him so he had to hustle.

This was my first time playing in San Myshuno in quite some time.
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Most of my Sims live there. I dont like the apartments so much but the city feels more alive because of the food stands the musicians and the festivals.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I use apartments a lot, actually. They're one of my favorite features.from the game.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• UnknownGamerUnknownGamer Posts: 77 Member
    Don’t really use them that much. I’ll use one at the start of a new sim game but other than that I move out. I like how the city feels alive but I keep getting those noisy neighbour events and random sims walking into my apartment uninvited, it gets old eventually.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    tascha wrote: »
    For those of you who have city living, how often do you find yourself moving a new save into an apartment?

Pretty rarely as I play more household in the same save, and have all apartments occupied.

I move new sims into apartments from time to time, though.
    At least once, I moved an additional sim into an apartment to allow the other members of the household to move to university.
    On another occasion, I moved Angela Pleasant in with a household living in an apartment as she had become homeless and that apartment had room for one sim more.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    I only ever have one single household per apartment complex, the other flats are empty. Even if my sims start out with neighbors, those neighbors accuse them of things they never did and then I remove them for violating peace in the house. I also try not to put famous sims into apartments, because there have been problems with fame decay and opportunities in the past.

That said, only two of my apartments dwelling families are part of my rotation, the others are fillers that I play only occasionally.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    @Chazzzy that's awesome! I played a couple who started in a roach infested apartment and the guy had the jealous trait, he ended up chucking his new wife out onto the streets. She went to work as a live-in nanny for the Bjergsens and was eventually able to afford a lovely house of her own. Her ex-husband lived his whole life alone in the roach infested apartment :D

I now play on rotation so I like to have variety and one of my households lives in an apartment in the district with the basketball outside (can never remember what it is - spice district, maybe?) I enjoy playing them except when the neighbours make a racket at night and they can't sleep.
  • ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    All the time! I tend not to play a lot of families, so apartments suit my Sims just fine.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    Pretty often. I play single sims and families in apartments. Now that we have roommates I can't wait to have a sim living in an apartment. I tend to start out in 2B jasmine Suites or 930 Medina Studios.
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    A lot. I love the challenge of making a set space work for a family, I love having close neighbors, and I love the vibrancy of the neighborhoods (especially Spice Market).
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    I don't think I've ever played a sim in an apartment. I've visited them but never played them.
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    All the time, with maybe one game as the exception. CL is my favourite pack and San Myshuno is my favourite world, so I love having my sims live there. Apartments are one of the best features imo.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I have a bunch of households in SM. I haven't been playing them as much lately because I have many households. Right now, I've been playing my first few students in DU. The household I'm playing will graduate in a few days and then I'll start those sims in the rest of their lives. I'll switch after they are settled in and I have some ideas of what I'll do after that.

I'm not specifically planning to play the SM households soon but I owe a few of them visits. I will definitely play them again at some point. I'll admit that I'm attached to some other households probably more so.

I rotate between all of the worlds. I'm probably most attached to some of my households in Willow Creek but don't read too much into that. I spend time in all of the worlds.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I almost never play in apartments. I love hanging out in San Myshuno, but I don't seem to like living there much.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • PhoeSavsMom_83PhoeSavsMom_83 Posts: 20 Member
    I played in an apartment when I first got the pack but then I moved back to houses. I really don't like that you can't create your own apartments. I do like the festivals and spend a lot of time there though.
  • Confession68Confession68 Posts: 49 Member
    I actually really love the apartments. You do have to get creative, since you're limited in build, but I love the scene. I actually love the Spice Market neighborhood the best. I just wish it had better apartment options. Having CC helps too, because my favorite design scheme is industrial, all types of industrial; urban industrial, grunge industrial, modern industrial, vintage industrial or even rustic industrial. :)
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I love having the variety of apartments and houses with a garden, so I use them constantly. I have sims living in most of them, they hardly ever move.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I use them a lot. I often start my YA Sims off there, and have them save up to buy a house. Now that University is out, they go from their parents house > dorm > apartment, then buy a house once they are ready for their own family.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    Apartments are fun, but I don't use them much. I usually play families, and most of the apartments aren't built for that. So I usually stick to Brindleton Bay for families, though single sims or young couples life in San Myshuno.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    I don't use them much and there's only one reason why I don't like apartments. When there are neighbors near by, fast forwarding time doesn't work. When my Sims go to sleep and some neighbor decides to stand in the hallway the whole night the time goes by very slowly. This happens too often and I get bored to watch my Sims sleep when I can't use the speed 3. I always end up moving my Sims somewhere else.
  • taschatascha Posts: 52 Member
    Side note if anyone can help me, my sim is living in an apartment and I'm trying to buy a street gallery so she can use it to sell off her art, but the apartment is not tall enough for me to buy the street gallery from build mode, meaning I'm unable to buy it and then place it in her inventory :(
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    tascha wrote: »
    Side note if anyone can help me, my sim is living in an apartment and I'm trying to buy a street gallery so she can use it to sell off her art, but the apartment is not tall enough for me to buy the street gallery from build mode, meaning I'm unable to buy it and then place it in her inventory :(

I'm not exactly sure what the street gallery is, but I wanted to make sure you know that you can sell paintings without it.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    @Chazzzy that's awesome! I played a couple who started in a roach infested apartment and the guy had the jealous trait, he ended up chucking his new wife out onto the streets. She went to work as a live-in nanny for the Bjergsens and was eventually able to afford a lovely house of her own. Her ex-husband lived his whole life alone in the roach infested apartment :D

I now play on rotation so I like to have variety and one of my households lives in an apartment in the district with the basketball outside (can never remember what it is - spice district, maybe?) I enjoy playing them except when the neighbours make a racket at night and they can't sleep.

Lol I love it!

Btw I’ve tried 2 different mods now to try to get rid of the noisy neighbors but so far neither have worked for me consistently.
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I don't use them much and there's only one reason why I don't like apartments. When there are neighbors near by, fast forwarding time doesn't work. When my Sims go to sleep and some neighbor decides to stand in the hallway the whole night the time goes by very slowly. This happens too often and I get bored to watch my Sims sleep when I can't use the speed 3. I always end up moving my Sims somewhere else.

I don’t know about anyone else, but this sounds like a bug to me? Never had the speed button stop working even with neighbours outside.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »

I don’t know about anyone else, but this sounds like a bug to me? Never had the speed button stop working even with neighbours outside.

I never had this problem either. You could try repairing your game, or test anew vanilla save with nothing in your Mods folder.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg