Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gameplay Suggestions for our Knitting Pack

Comments

• TnT_TerryTnT_Terry Posts: 6,629 Member
    @SimGuruNinja - please consider how these ideas could be incorporated into our Community Stuff Pack Project. Big thanks from those of us who are looking forward to the pack.

Players - please add your gameplay ideas. What 'experience' do you want from playing this feature? How do you want your simmies to do it? What should the benefits of doing it be? Even if you didn't vote for this option, what are ways this could be useful to your simmies? Share pics for inspiration!

1. Change the very specific "knitting" theme into a more generic and inclusive "Wool Crafts" theme. It could then include decor items such as
    macrame hanging plant baskets, crocheted items such as sofa blankets, needle point wall art, wool weaving tapestries etc. All under the same skill, but unlocking different abilities and different products. We could call the pack "Wool Crafts", "Threads", "Yarns".

2. Finger Knitting for children - please allow the "wool craft" skill to be accessible to child sims. They could craft specific items just for them, little decor items when viewed gives them fun, toys to actually play with, bracelets and necklaces to wear and share with their friends. If they max the child skill, they can advance to the adult skill - with needles.

eqFv3wo.jpg

3. Fun - we have many "hobbies" in the game, but they do not increase our sim's fun need (eg baking, woodworking). Please make sure this is fun for our sims.

4. Social - please include a "knit together" option, and when sims are knitting together, please let them develop relationship points as well as increase their social need.

5. Inventory Enabled. Strangerville added the ability to dress into an asset directly from our inventories - the hazmat suit. As we unlock wearable assets, please let them appear as an object in our inventory we can then GIFT to other sims, who can then wear the items. We can also sell the items directly from our inventories < don't forget to attach a decent price to them! More advanced items should of course be more expensive.

6. In the advanced levels, include a Create New Pattern that appears ONLY when our sims are inspired. The pattern we create can then be added to CAS for our all our sims to wear via the computer: Upload new pattern to - whatever the name of the sims crafting site is! (Players, what could this site be called?)

7. Wool Craft site on the computer: Viewing site gives sims inspiration. Increases wool craft skill. Chance of unlocking a new pattern. Advanced skill can add new patterns to the site.

8. Pattern Book - reading increases Wool Craft skill.

9. Knitting reduces tense moods.

10. Knitting for a period of time results in a VERY FOCUSED mood.

11. Knitting is a self-interaction. Click on our sim and they knit anywhere - sitting, standing, alone or in groups.

12. Limit Instant Gratification. Even though this is a stuff pack, please have most of the assets included be craftable unlockable items, whether they're CAS or Buy mode, as the theme is crafting. If we want all the new stuff, we have to craft them. Unlocking and crafting items is really the only gameplay we'll be getting in this pack, so let's make it a satisfying experience when our sim is finally skilled enough to make that ultimate item. (They should of course also appear in debug for those who don't want to craft but have instant access to them, along with a cheat that will unlock all assets in CAS, for builders and sim makers not interested in live mode).

13. Medium level skill -maybe 5 or 6 - should add a social interaton: 'teach knitting' to any sim. That way friends can teach each other - including children please. Big brother can teach little sister, daughter can teach father, grandpa can teach grandchild etc. Knitting skill, relationship, social and fun should all increase.

14. Some - as in a VERY small amount, even just one each -CAS items should have an emotion attached when wearing them. eg, funny hat > playful; bracelet > inspired; sexy socks > flirty; low skill poorly made > embarrassed.

15. Items for EVERY age group. Maybe the pack can be released alongside a base game patch feature of freeing babies from their cribs, so baby outfits could be included too!

16. Wools and Threads Storage: Gameplay object, basket and boxes full of materials to craft with. A place for TODDLERS to play in (use current 'play in' animation), and CATS to play with wool.

17. Please include at least one item (with many colours) we can craft for our cats, and small and large dogs.

18. Consider a knitting machine - very expensive, but very fast way to craft. Suggestion: Can only be used at level 3 or 4 of skill?
    Can break and needs fixing via handiness skill. Needs cleaning and maintenance. Costs to replace wools. Has upgradable options like NEVER Break, always Pristine. Handiness and Programming Skill needed to add Digitalised Upgrade which makes the machine SUPER DUPER FAST and efficient, resulting in higher quality garments that sells for a huge profit. Great for sims who want to open a business store selling All Things Thread!

AqsnJa1.jpg

Craftables in Buy Mode:

Hanging plant baskets
    Cushion Covers for sofas and lounges - remove the 'footprint' to allow placing without MOO cheat.
    Bed Blankets - like above, remove footprint to allow placing at the end of beds. Both single and double versions.
    Wall Art
    Floor Rugs

CAS
    bracelets
    necklaces
    slippers
    socks
    mittens
    scarves
    jumpers
    dresses
    skirts
    tops

Players, something you want to knit? Please post your suggestions and inspiration pics.

@SimGuruNinja

Actually IMHO it should rather be "Textile Crafting" or something to that effect, because then all types of textiles including fabrics, wools, acrylics can all be incorporated. Therefore not just knitting, crocheting and wool, now this would include say a sewing machine, sewing by hand to make repairs to clothing, or patching jeans...etc..., also clothing patterns, maybe making curtains\drapes, tablecloths, doilies all besides the knitting ideas. This would truly be a stuffpack that would satisfy all in the end, including those who have already stated they won't be buying this pack. Just because knitting was voted in, doesn't mean it needs to be limited to JUST "knitting". And this way more simmer's will be more likely to purchase this pack.
    I own every basegame, EP, GP, SP and kits for all sims, ie.., sims 1, 2, 3 and 4
    I am a sims 3 Store Owner Thanks to all my Amazing friends here, and I do own all store stuff from sims 2 as well!

gjmdPt7.png
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    Simple knitting, sit and knit.

But that doesn't give a premium OBJECT and TS4 is all about giant objects so ... Here's an actual GOOD, large object!

A big loom! https://www.google.com/search?q=large+loom&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS819US819&sxsrf=ACYBGNSPjs6bKH5r4YRx5kflwEIZS9BkPg:1576083878784&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiOl-z9ia7mAhWEVt8KHXbSAjsQ_AUoAnoECA0QBA&biw=1552&bih=688

Then it's knitting AND weaving. They fit together well and then there will be a premium object that fits into the game vibe that's long, hard established (a BIG object). Then many deco objects can be yarn-themed, unifying the two craft activities more.

Maybe the loom could have a knitting machine attached, as well, so it seems to fit even more. Most Sims would just knit without a machine though.

BTW, yarn doesn't have to be wool and some people have sensitivity to wool! When I read "wool craft" I honestly felt triggered. Don't force wool! (Even flavor text #triggered.)
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • SimalleyaileSimalleyaile Posts: 865 Member
    edited December 2019
    ....BTW, yarn doesn't have to be wool and some people have sensitivity to wool! When I read "wool craft" I honestly felt triggered. Don't force wool! (Even flavor text #triggered.)

I'm actually allergic to wool in real life. Found out as a young kid. I come out in a nasty rash that can be as severe as cracks in the skin and tiny pustules that weep! More than just itchy, it really hurts. It's a type of dermatitis I have. I'm allergic to perfume, make up and metals, so a lot of jewelry is out for me too (unless it's made of plastic or wood). My Mum was a beautiful knitter, so she just used acrylics for me. (I still have some of the gorgeous jumpers she knitted for me nearly 40 years later, still in good condition, though a bit tighter these days! lol :D )

Sigzy mentioned having an "itchy skin" reaction in his post. Maybe it could be like the in-game fruitcake - (game randomly decides when some sims love it or hate it.) Perhaps they could introduce an allergic reaction to wool for some sims. If they do, I hope they can take one of those oat baths (spa day) to help relieve the itch. Or they could leave out the name of what sims use altogether. My main point was let's expand more than just knitting clothes. Weaving, cross stitch, embroidery - "yarn" crafting would be a lot more versatile and open up lots more opportunity for buy mode.

edited December 2019
    Gameplay object: Sims could craft both the doll and different outfits for it. We like to dress up our sims with new things, so let our simmies do it too. They could toss the doll into the air and have a spinning effects to change their outfits - just like the sims spin into their clothes. Let all age groups - toddlers through to elder be able to play with the doll.

EOdJgtJ.jpg
    I hope to see a clearly distinct and visual difference between what my beginner sim can knit, and what my advanced sims can. eg, level one could unlock a single colour teddy bear (as an example - it could be anything), in simple garter or stocking stitch, and then in level 9 they could craft a more detailed teddy bear.

Also, please let the sims get faster at knitting projects as they increase in skill level.

And enable multi-tasking. Watch TV, listen to music etc.

3uvNI37.jpg
    Some pics of what others have suggested for BUY mode. Please don't limit our crafting unlocks to just clothes. :)

DenD7pT.jpg
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited December 2019
    @Simalleyaile I love all of your suggestions :) I hope the gurus see these and consider them for the pack.
    Thank you @ListentoToppDogg - I think everyone's given some great ideas. I love the pics you've posted on the other thread for CAS and Buy mode too. :)
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I love all those ideas. I used to finger knit. I've done knitting with the loom too. I even knit a dog sweater before. I was hoping they would add crocheting too since I love doing that as a hobby as well.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Curious question: how zoomed in do you think most Simmers play? Thinking it over, knitting seems like it would be a “small” footprint or an activity. You’d have to be super zoomed in order to experience any of the gameplay.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Curious question: how zoomed in do you think most Simmers play? Thinking it over, knitting seems like it would be a “small” footprint or an activity. You’d have to be super zoomed in order to experience any of the gameplay.
    Probably not super super zoomed in, but Sims 2 Freetime had sewing and pottery. Trailer about that. So Hobbies and Crafts are pretty much going to have a fraction of what that EP offered. I do really hope that Sims will be able to craft toys again with the hobbies because that was a ton of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK3_KBBwswg
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    So many great ideas here. I do hope the gurus listen to our thoughts and suggestions.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    When is this stuff pack supposed to be released? I've seen nothing about it from the Sims team.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2019
    @KayeStar wrote: »
    When is this stuff pack supposed to be released? I've seen nothing about it from the Sims team.

The release date isn't out but it would be near the end of 2020, since the last voting stage will be in April. After that they work on polishing the gameplay, debuging, testing and marketing so it takes a while. It was the same with Laundry Day. It takes roughly a year, from the concept to release.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    edited December 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

The release date isn't out but it would be near the end of 2020, since the last voting stage will be in April. After that they work on polishing the gameplay, debuging, testing and marketing so it takes a while. It was the same with Laundry Day. It takes roughly a year, from the concept to release.
    So, why are people freaking out now? We're near the end of 2019.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2019
    KayeStar wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

So, why are people freaking out now? We're near the end of 2019.

We aren't freaking out. These threads are suggestions for the guru's, of what the community would like for the SP given that it's still on the concept phase. It's the community SP 2. We are the ones who vote on the things. The theme that won was arts and crafts and knitting won for gameplay.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    there's a loom in this concept art
    3Oe0ffA.png
    weaving? 😯
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• sweetliljasweetlilja Posts: 39 Member
    Great ideas, it feels like you have almost everything one could want in this text, and I hope some of them could make it in to the game, even if it is just a stuffpack. And if some of these could be in another hobby pack containing sewing. In another thread someone mentioned they wanted the return of imaginary friend as a knitted figure coming to live, that would be really cool.
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member

3. Fun - we have many "hobbies" in the game, but they do not increase our sim's fun need (eg baking, woodworking). Please make sure this is fun for our sims.

I agree with this whole heartedly. In truly baffles me how many activities that should be fun sims don't find very fun at all. There are more ways to have fun than vegging out in front of screens to watch TV or play computer games.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member

I agree with this whole heartedly. In truly baffles me how many activities that should be fun sims don't find very fun at all. There are more ways to have fun than vegging out in front of screens to watch TV or play computer games.

Yes! This is where the hobby mechanism from Sims 2: Freetime could come in handy. The only thing I disliked about that pack was the fact that the sim's talent was chosen at random, whereas this time perhaps we could choose 1-3 hobbies for a sim and those activities would be the ones that they gain the most fun from, and which they perform most successfully. It would also be amazing to have some kind of hobby-based aspirations.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • painting_trees89painting_trees89 Posts: 27 Member
    I really just hope the clothing selection is not hideous.
    Even though these things from the other styles didn't make it, I'm still hoping we'll be able to craft some kind of versions of them.

iPj7ygW.jpg
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    @Simalleyaile Same here. I actually think those things would work really well in the DIY style.
  • ApriliseAprilise Posts: 431 Member
    I don’t know if this is the place to post or if someone else has already said it but it be cute of kittens/cats and toddlers would play with the yarn balls and mess them up you could train the cats not too or if it’s a toddler you could with the parenting pack disclipline them. Or just aww at the cuteness.
    Gameplay idea: Hot Water Bottle

You know how we have those cheap beds that are both uncomfortable and takes longer to sleep? How 'bout a simple gameplay object, a hot water bottle with different covers to knit. Must be in the sims inventory when they got to bed, when they wake up instead of the uncomfortable
    moodlet, it's replaced with a "Comfy cozy night's sleep."

ZqalfcF.jpg

That would be really good. I downloaded a mod to get better mattresses in beds but it works too well and tends to wake them up far too early.

@Mariefoxprice83 - do you have today's patch? We can finally upgrade the beds! Yay! I've been asking for this for years.