Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Spellcaster Ears

Does anyone remember if Spellcasters could have pointed ears??? I'm trying to make a Sim into a spellcaster by recreating him in CAS, except I can't give him pointed ears (not a big deal, the original doesn't have pointed ears, I just thought it'd make a cool addition to his character.).
Story_Banner.png
Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited December 2019
    I couldn't remember for sure so I started up my game to make sure what I say is a yes or no.

If you try to create a spell caster they will not have the option to have the pointy ears, there are mods though that do have pointy ear sliders. I do have one work around if you want the pointy ears, start out with creating a vampire (you don't have to bother with the dark form). After you have completed the sim, take them into live play and use cheats or the MCCC mod can also turn them into a human. From there you can in game play turn the sim into a spellcaster. I have done this in the past, and was able to keep what I had put on the sim.

Someone else might have suggestion on an easier way of doing this.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    I made a spellcaster this weekend and I could give them pointy ears without any issues or any mods.
    You have to go into detailed edit mode to do so, the option doesn't come up in regular edit mode.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Why would they have pointed ears? Harry Potter certainly didn't have them. Nor did witches and warlocks in Sims 3. Elves have pointed ears. Sometimes vampires and aliens do. And goblins.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Hello everyone!

Before the DU-patch spellcasters could have pointy ears. At the moment they only have pointy ears in CAS but not in gameplay.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17333204#Comment_17333204

Here is a thread about it on the EA Answer HQ
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-ROM-Spellcaster-s-pointed-ears-not-showing-up-in-Live-Mode/m-p/8493929#M113692

I myself had an entire community of spellcaster elves that I was building an medieval world for. That save is pretty much ruined now. If you miss your spellcaster ears don't forget to swing by and add your voice on the bug-thread.

Cheers.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    @SilentKitty
    thank you for the link. I skipped that thread because the title said mermaids. I will go check my spellcasters. It never occurred to me that cas might be different than the ingame appearance of my sims.
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Why would they have pointed ears? Harry Potter certainly didn't have them. Nor did witches and warlocks in Sims 3. Elves have pointed ears. Sometimes vampires and aliens do. And goblins.

Harry Potter didn't have pointy ears. Lol. But there are other stories about magic too. This is a magic pack, not a Harry Potter pack. My current spellcaster definitely is not part of the Harry Potter universe, although my next save with spellcasters might be.

And pointy ears were available for all sims in sims 2 (one of the last face templates in base game) and sims 3 (with the patch for supernatural, a lot of the premade sims in dragon valley also have pointy ears) So pointy eared magical sims (and pointy eared non-magical sims) were possible in both sims 2 and 3. Sims 4 unfortunately started putting annoying restrictions on the pointy ears, and now seems to have messed up those restrictions with the last patch. I wish sims 4 would also just make pointy available for all sims.
    @Atreya33 But why would spellcasters have pointed ears? Are they a species to themselves or simply humans/whatever who know/learned magic? I mean, Elves as a species have pointed ears, but they don't necessarily know magic.

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    @Atreya33 But why would spellcasters have pointed ears? Are they a species to themselves or simply humans/whatever who know/learned magic? I mean, Elves as a species have pointed ears, but they don't necessarily know magic.

It depends on the kind of spellcaster you have in mind. Some people have stories in mind where normal humans can learn magic, while others tell stories where spellcasters have a inherently magical nature that sets them apart from normal humans. It purely depends on how you want to play them. I am not saying they all need pointy ears by default, you can play them in a totally different way than me. I just want to be able to give pointy ears to them if I choose to, it helps to tell some stories. And without actual elves or fairies in the game , spellcasters can also be used to play as elves and fairies. It is a bit pretend, but the best option we have so far.

I like giving them pointy ears to hint at their magical lineage, kind of a visual manifestation of the magical blood line trait. Spellcasters are not a totally different species in my game, but they are different from non-magical folk.
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    edited December 2019
    Pointy ears look better. The ears in game are ugly to me. I have given all my Sims pointy ears since it became available in 2. Plus I play fantasy games and I would like elves that aren't vampires occasionally.
    JACKIEJOY wrote: »
    Pointy ears look better. The ears in game are ugly to me.

Yeah, humans are disgustingly boring...and rounded ears? That's so old and lame. I mean, who even wants rounded ears in real life?
    /sarcasm

For me a huge part of it is how they chose to change the appearance of existing sims. I made occult sims with pointy ears, a magical community in my save. Download a patch and all of the look different.

It was there in CAS, for me it was a selling point and I haven’t seen a single post prior to the patch or when buying the Game Pack that the feature that I really liked will be removed.

I liked those ears and bought a pack with them. Surprise - they are gone.

The magical life of a occult-sim-player.

Different players value different things and this really really bugs me. I don’t want to mod my game for every single thing but I can’t play those sims as they are because they look wrong to me.

I am just one little player so I guess it doesn’t make much of a difference what I think but this made me sad. I am getting CC-ears, clothes and mods like crazy because everything out now work with the current patch. I won’t stop playing, but I don’t feel like buying anything new. If I stop now at least I know what I have in my game. I don’t know if I want to risk another patch.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I mostly play human sims or human-looking spellcasters but I am absolutely saddened by this post. I like to play "elves" now and then so it's a real shame the pointed ears are gone for spellcasters.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    @Mariefoxprice83 I'm happy to report that with the latest patch spellcaster ears are fixed too! :) However, mermaid eyes are now gone for them.
    Story_Banner.png
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited December 2019
    @Mariefoxprice83 I'm happy to report that with the latest patch spellcaster ears are fixed too! :) However, mermaid eyes are now gone for them.

My caster didn't have the choice of pointy ears when I tried earlier. I'm a sad simmer.

Edit: I went and tried again. Although the presets didn't come up as an option, I was able to restore his ears by going into detail edit mode. So yay!
    Post edited by CelSims on
  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    edited December 2019
    CelSims wrote: »

My caster didn't have the choice of pointy ears when I tried earlier. I'm a sad simmer.

Edit: I went and tried again. Although the presets didn't come up as an option, I was able to restore his ears by going into detail edit mode. So yay!

Weird, I had the presets when I checked in a new game. Glad you were able to fix yours though!
    Story_Banner.png
    Wow, the ears are back. In the game too and just not in CAS?

That would make me so so happy :smile:
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

I heard an excuse to take more screenshots of my boy. Night time but hopefully you can see ears and wand!

oCJcZIg.png
  • AmavariAmavari Posts: 167 Member
    edited December 2019
    Yes spellcasters could have pointed ears but you had to give it to them manually by adjusting their ears to be pointed, if they've taken that away I'm going to be livid quite frankly because it will ruin my inheritance series spellcasters and zelda characters.

Checking my game now but I'm guessing that what happened is that all the sims had an ear reset to fix something that happened where a bunch of random sims that weren't supposed to suddenly had elven styled pointy ears

I'm happy to report that my sims are still pointy eared and glorious.
    CelSims wrote: »
    I heard an excuse to take more screenshots of my boy. Night time but hopefully you can see ears and wand!

oCJcZIg.png

Wheee!!! This is like x-mas but better :)
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    @/Atreya33 But why would spellcasters have pointed ears? Are they a species to themselves or simply humans/whatever who know/learned magic? I mean, Elves as a species have pointed ears, but they don't necessarily know magic.

Dunno why it bothers you so much.
    It's not your game nor your sims. People play their stories out differently. If the option for pointy ears existed before for spellcasters, but has then been removed, that might bother some people.
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    I have a 2nd. gen. spellcaster that was born with pointy ears but she is half vampire.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Yes there was a way to give your pure Spellcaster pointed ears. That's what I did with my Elves.