Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Happy Haunts lost, I guess you can't please everyone!" Predictable poll results article

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2019
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Vampris wrote: »
    Disappointed on Happy Haunts not winning, it's laundry day all over again. Here's hoping it's more interesting
    Anyways I'm not trying to spit on the other side, but you're kinda right about the occult side being quieter. I mean I do see people commenting on wanting more occults, but dang I never seen occult people unironically say "Who asked for this?" when popular realistic packs are added.

Makes me scratch my head when some say Sims is supposed to be a realistic life simulator so occults aren't allowed when the first game in the franchise had Grim, ghosts, witches, genies, servos, zombies, and some other lesser "occults" before actual realistic packs were added into the franchise (seasons, university, etc).
    Indeed, says who? It’s supposed to be a life simulator. Nowhere does it say or claim it’s a realistic life simulator. Some love to simulate the lives of occults.
    I think the bigger issue is how slow content came out for TS4. At this time with TS3, we had pretty much the completed game with all of its expansion packs, and it felt like a much beefier game. It was also far more exciting and engaging to know you had a brand new expansion pack every 6 months. Because we wait so long between packs, we get far more disappointed when we finally hear of a new expansion, but it’s not the theme we would prefer.

And their model of withholding expansion themes so they could piecemeal it feature by feature in game and stuff packs is just a nuisance at best.

As far as the survey itself goes, I think Arts & Crafts could add some fun depth. I’m certainly glad the tech stuff pack didn’t win, as that’d just make the gurus think that the community wants content that lacks depth and is all visual. IMHO, the fans want prefer things such as complexity, chores, responsibilities, etc.
    Sims 4 was released in September 2014, which means the game is 5 years and 3 months old now. When Sims 3 was 5 years and 3 months old, September 2014, Sims 4 was released. Which means: everything Sims 3 has to offer, was delivered before that. Sims 3 was done with at this very moment. And Sims 1 and 2 even long before that.

As for the OP, this describes exactly why I hate this voting system. Because it will always cater a majority and ugh, majorities... I mean, it would be great if majorities always had better taste or better opinion or better knowledge. Thing is, they don’t. They’re just with more people.

To me, it suggests the DLC model of TS4 is a clear failure. It's a convoluted, inconsistent mess. Don't get me wrong, the Sims 3 store was no better, but The Sims 4 decided to roll with 3 forms of DLC, all of which lack a consistent release schedule, and often leave one craving much more than provided. The other iterations (sans The Sims 1, if I recall correctly) would provide a new expansion every 6 months, and for the most part, they would introduce a clear theme and cover it very well.

The amount of content we had by now with The Sims 3 and the amount of content we had in the base game upon launch compared to The Sims 4 is staggering; it's almost unbelievable how much the series has declined in quality.

I don't mind the polls so much, but they highlight the problem of The Sims 4's DLC in many ways. All of those concepts really sound more suited for a game pack, rather than a stuff pack, and it's clear the fans are voting based on features rather than purely stuff & clutter, which is what stuff packs are supposed to be.
    Yes, agreed, which is why I never count the Store when I think of Sims 3 content. I mean, I love my worlds and I love my hairstyles and clothes and stuff and I like the ability to have a farm, but the experience in itself isn’t about that. The experience lies in the packs. The expansion packs that is, eleven of them (for Sims 3). And, of course, what came with the basegame.

I’m not sure if the DLC model as such is a failure? I think the basegame is and it limits the quality of the packs. Each and every EP is a dwarf in comparison to the Sims 2 and 3 EP’s. If that was meant to be the model yes, it’s a failure (not for them, for us). They’ve stated that Sims 4 will take longer to deliver the same amount of content. That as such wouldn’t be a problem, I love a company to take their time and deliver something when it’s really ready to be delivered (Sims 3’s big issue...). But that’s just not the case here. They’re not taking their time to guarantee quality. They take their time to sell everyone bits and pieces.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited December 2019
    @Amavari

Respectfully, I disagree with some things that have been said. There was bashing of non-supernatural play in this thread when people said things to the effect of suggesting that all players should be forced to play with supernatural content and should have to mod their games. (Err, I wouldn't buy that game, I'd stop financially supporting it.) I could pick out individual quotes but I won't.

If this is about my comment then I'd like to know why it's acceptable to water down an occult game pack to the point that occult players - presumably the target audience of the pack- feel they need to add mods to get anything other than a game that plays like a realism pack, but it's not ok to suggest that if anyone buys an occult pack without wanting that game play they should maybe be the ones who have to mod to remove it?

I'd prefer a toggle to never have occults spawn at all for the people that don't want them. But without one is it really unreasonable to expect an occult pack to cater to the occult players more than the people who don't want it?
    Your comment about stopping financially supporting actually resonates a lot with me, I really should stop financially supporting by buying packs which are supposedly aimed at the things I enjoy yet water it down to the point its just a normal world with normal sims in it.

I'm not bashing non-supernatural play. At no point did I say packs that cater to realism shouldn't exist, or should do anything other than cater to what realistic players want. I specifically talked about occult aimed packs.

Post edited by CelSims on
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    @Amavari

Respectfully, I disagree with some things that have been said. There was bashing of non-supernatural play in this thread when people said things to the effect of suggesting that all players should be forced to play with supernatural content and should have to mod their games. (Err, I wouldn't buy that game, I'd stop financially supporting it.) I could pick out individual quotes but I won't.

If this is about my comment then I'd like to know why it's acceptable to water down an occult game pack to the point that occult players - presumably the target audience of the pack- feel they need to add mods to get anything other than a game that plays like a realism pack, but it's not ok to suggest that if anyone buys an occult pack without wanting that game play they should maybe be the ones who have to mod to remove it?

I'd prefer a toggle to never have occults spawn at all for the people that don't want them. But without one is it really unreasonable to expect an occult pack to cater to the occult players more than the people who don't want it?
    Your comment about stopping financially supporting actually resonates a lot with me, I really should stop financially supporting by buying packs which are supposedly aimed at the things I enjoy yet water it down to the point its just a normal world with normal sims in it.

I'm not bashing non-supernatural play. At no point did I say packs that cater to realism shouldn't exist, or should do anything other than cater to what realistic players want. I specifically talked about occult aimed packs.

Yes!! This exactly!

I remember when Vampires came out, and the devs told us that they wanted to put a lot of focus on them but they knew that not everyone wanted to play with Occults so they specifically put them in a Game Pack all to themselves. The reasoning was that people who didn't want them weren't missing much by skipping the pack, while those of us who did really want them could go nuts with it. Of course, those who like to have separate saves and just dabble with Occult play were kind of stuck making a decision one way or the other, which is unfortunate. But the information was there that no, there wasn't a toggle. The pack was amazing and we who wanted it were blown away. It added some much-needed darkness and gloom to the game (even if we didn't have Fear emotions :s ) and the pack was, I think, the first one since Sims 4's release that was very well received on the forums. And then the realistic players bought it for the furniture and started complaining that they were triggered by Vampire break-ins. I remember they were going to nerf the break-ins at one time and we rallied against it so they didn't, but since then it seems that they did it anyway so that Vampires still come to the door but they don't come in. RIP Vampire autonomous bites. :'(

While toggles seem like the obvious answer, we were told that toggles can lead to mechanical issues in the long run so that's why they try not to use them. I guess it was a lesson they learned from Sims 3 and was one of the design choices that caused problems. But another solution is to have an in-game "trigger", like Sims 2 had. I love this because it's all done immersively and through your Sim. Like, if the player could choose to have their Sim come across Vampire Lore on the computer or in the bookshelves, and find out that they exist, that could trigger them in action. But if a player never selected to have their Sim learn about them, they never show up. I personally prefer this kind of approach because it stays within the gameplay and stories.

But what's done is done and choices were made. The point is that if you got the pack, you were going to get Vampire break-ins. Many Occult players loved this feature and our gameplay was changed because non-Occult players couldn't find a way to live without a few pieces of furniture, bought the pack, complained, and ruined it for us. That is completely unfair.

I think the developers need to stop trying to please everyone by meeting halfway all the time. This is exactly what makes people cry out that everything is "half-baked". If you're going to do Occults, run with it and go all out. If you're going to do family play, go deep. If you're going to put in kegs and parties, go wild. If you're going to have activities, go detailed and include groups. This is part of the formula that made past games so enjoyable. They were unapologetically exaggerated and dramatic and the turnout could always be either good or bad. This made the gameplay exciting.

I mean, why split content into specialized packs in the first place if not to delve deep and go all the way with it? In the end, I think the devs should stay true to the content. Stay on target, rebel leaders!
    #Team Occult
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    @LiELF 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    LiELF wrote: »
    While toggles seem like the obvious answer, we were told that toggles can lead to mechanical issues in the long run so that's why they try not to use them. I guess it was a lesson they learned from Sims 3 and was one of the design choices that caused problems. But another solution is to have an in-game "trigger", like Sims 2 had. I love this because it's all done immersively and through your Sim. Like, if the player could choose to have their Sim come across Vampire Lore on the computer or in the bookshelves, and find out that they exist, that could trigger them in action. But if a player never selected to have their Sim learn about them, they never show up. I personally prefer this kind of approach because it stays within the gameplay and stories.

I mean, why split content into specialized packs in the first place if not to delve deep and go all the way with it? In the end, I think the devs should stay true to the content. Stay on target, rebel leaders!

Realm of Magic is an in-game trigger I think? You enter the portal and get the warning. You have triggered magic play, oh no you might see... the odd random npc briefly hop on a broom for a second before teleporting out of sight.
    Is that how Sims 2 triggers were? Because if so I don't like that idea at all. I want the spellcasters next door to be mixing potions and have kids casting rainbow spells in the yard. I want the vampires down the road to be paying me the odd nightly visit and not politely knocking on the door first.

Can you imagine if they brought out a fully fleshed out toddler and child game pack, cribs to crawl out of, skateboarding, hopscotch, skipping ropes, playing tag, a bakery oven and tea parties, push along toys and little electric cars, then stuck it behind a toggle or trigger and only the child you were actively controlling could use any of it?
    'We restricted game play to your current household only. Some players do not like seeing kids at community lots so we feel this is a good compromise. NPC and none played households will play as vanilla children, unless you have Parenthood in which case they will just stand still and 'make a mess' over and over'

We are so off topic though, Im sorry to the thread creator. My ten cents - if they continue to offer 4 widely varied themes we are going to get the same crowd seeing their choice win every time. EA should choose the theme and give us 4 options of where the focus will be. This way more people are likely to see a pack they actually want be made.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »
    What I find kinda silly is the fact that devs also voted on the poll and they are proud to share it on twitter. Like... really?

YEAHHHH I don't think they should have been allowed to vote especially since they are the ones who determine what's next for every other pack.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Vampris wrote: »
    Disappointed on Happy Haunts not winning, it's laundry day all over again. Here's hoping it's more interesting
    Anyways I'm not trying to spit on the other side, but you're kinda right about the occult side being quieter. I mean I do see people commenting on wanting more occults, but dang I never seen occult people unironically say "Who asked for this?" when popular realistic packs are added.

Makes me scratch my head when some say Sims is supposed to be a realistic life simulator so occults aren't allowed when the first game in the franchise had Grim, ghosts, witches, genies, servos, zombies, and some other lesser "occults" before actual realistic packs were added into the franchise (seasons, university, etc).
    Indeed, says who? It’s supposed to be a life simulator. Nowhere does it say or claim it’s a realistic life simulator. Some love to simulate the lives of occults.
    I think the bigger issue is how slow content came out for TS4. At this time with TS3, we had pretty much the completed game with all of its expansion packs, and it felt like a much beefier game. It was also far more exciting and engaging to know you had a brand new expansion pack every 6 months. Because we wait so long between packs, we get far more disappointed when we finally hear of a new expansion, but it’s not the theme we would prefer.

And their model of withholding expansion themes so they could piecemeal it feature by feature in game and stuff packs is just a nuisance at best.

As far as the survey itself goes, I think Arts & Crafts could add some fun depth. I’m certainly glad the tech stuff pack didn’t win, as that’d just make the gurus think that the community wants content that lacks depth and is all visual. IMHO, the fans want prefer things such as complexity, chores, responsibilities, etc.
    Sims 4 was released in September 2014, which means the game is 5 years and 3 months old now. When Sims 3 was 5 years and 3 months old, September 2014, Sims 4 was released. Which means: everything Sims 3 has to offer, was delivered before that. Sims 3 was done with at this very moment. And Sims 1 and 2 even long before that.

As for the OP, this describes exactly why I hate this voting system. Because it will always cater a majority and ugh, majorities... I mean, it would be great if majorities always had better taste or better opinion or better knowledge. Thing is, they don’t. They’re just with more people.

To me, it suggests the DLC model of TS4 is a clear failure. It's a convoluted, inconsistent mess. Don't get me wrong, the Sims 3 store was no better, but The Sims 4 decided to roll with 3 forms of DLC, all of which lack a consistent release schedule, and often leave one craving much more than provided. The other iterations (sans The Sims 1, if I recall correctly) would provide a new expansion every 6 months, and for the most part, they would introduce a clear theme and cover it very well.

The amount of content we had by now with The Sims 3 and the amount of content we had in the base game upon launch compared to The Sims 4 is staggering; it's almost unbelievable how much the series has declined in quality.

I don't mind the polls so much, but they highlight the problem of The Sims 4's DLC in many ways. All of those concepts really sound more suited for a game pack, rather than a stuff pack, and it's clear the fans are voting based on features rather than purely stuff & clutter, which is what stuff packs are supposed to be.
    Yes, agreed, which is why I never count the Store when I think of Sims 3 content. I mean, I love my worlds and I love my hairstyles and clothes and stuff and I like the ability to have a farm, but the experience in itself isn’t about that. The experience lies in the packs. The expansion packs that is, eleven of them (for Sims 3). And, of course, what came with the basegame.

I’m not sure if the DLC model as such is a failure? I think the basegame is and it limits the quality of the packs. Each and every EP is a dwarf in comparison to the Sims 2 and 3 EP’s. If that was meant to be the model yes, it’s a failure (not for them, for us). They’ve stated that Sims 4 will take longer to deliver the same amount of content. That as such wouldn’t be a problem, I love a company to take their time and deliver something when it’s really ready to be delivered (Sims 3’s big issue...). But that’s just not the case here. They’re not taking their time to guarantee quality. They take their time to sell everyone bits and pieces.

I have to say I used to think the sims 4 pricing model with GP, EP and stuff packs was better than sims 3 and the store but NOPE NOT ANYMORE. Let's just talk about the supernaturals. Sims 4 took two game pack 20 bucks a piece to introduce vamps and spellcasters "witches" which equals 40 bucks. Sims 3 gave us a new world, vamps, witches, fairies and werewolves PLUS a LUNAR CYCLE for 40 bucks. The store was like side expansions you could pick up but I do think the store worlds with one or two gameplay items should have been 20 dollars. The 40 dollar Gold edition was a bit much just for the special lot with all the good stuff. Here is a quick comparison of the island packs...sim 3 houseboats, open waters, hidden islands, HOTELS, jet skis, water ski, more than one sim in a boat, open scuba diving, active lifeguard....Sims 4 jet ski and boat for one and rabbitholes and NO HOTELS TO TURN IT INTO A VACATION!!! Sorry but the conversationalist career, kava, turtle event and the bonfire town event was not worth all the other stuff we lost. Beautiful coral and cannot even swim beneath the surface of the water OMG.

Anyway, the point is we made out a lot better content wise with the sims 3 pricing model. Selling one occult IN A GAMEPACK is a bit much and short changing us in Expansions is just outrageous.

Realm of Magic is an in-game trigger I think? You enter the portal and get the warning. You have triggered magic play, oh no you might see... the odd random npc briefly hop on a broom for a second before teleporting out of sight.
    Is that how Sims 2 triggers were? Because if so I don't like that idea at all. I want the spellcasters next door to be mixing potions and have kids casting rainbow spells in the yard. I want the vampires down the road to be paying me the odd nightly visit and not politely knocking on the door first.

Can you imagine if they brought out a fully fleshed out toddler and child game pack, cribs to crawl out of, skateboarding, hopscotch, skipping ropes, playing tag, a bakery oven and tea parties, push along toys and little electric cars, then stuck it behind a toggle or trigger and only the child you were actively controlling could use any of it?
    'We restricted game play to your current household only. Some players do not like seeing kids at community lots so we feel this is a good compromise. NPC and none played households will play as vanilla children, unless you have Parenthood in which case they will just stand still and 'make a mess' over and over'

We are so off topic though, Im sorry to the thread creator. My ten cents - if they continue to offer 4 widely varied themes we are going to get the same crowd seeing their choice win every time. EA should choose the theme and give us 4 options of where the focus will be. This way more people are likely to see a pack they actually want be made.

Totally agree, can you imagine the outcry from the family players if their content got stifled like that? They would be furious and they would be right to be so. Which is exactly why it's wrong to do this to Occult players.

To answer your question, Sims 2's "trigger" system could go wild once the player triggered it. At least with Vampires it did, because I went through the effort of chasing around a Vampire NPC to build up the relationship to the proper level so I could get them to my house and bite my Sim. You had to actually ask them to bite you and had to be, I think, a "friend" status. But once your Sim became a Vampire, that NPC would show up on public lots and bite other Sims, even played Sims, and Vampirism would spread. There was a potion that could cure it, that could be obtained from the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Matchmaker. But hoo boy, I ended up with several Vampires in my game and some very unexpected encounters. So Sims 2 did go a little crazy with it once it was initiated. But I loved it, lol.

Realm of Magic is such a good pack, but it's SO depressing that I don't see magic being used that much by Spellcasters. Sometimes I see someone teleport in or out, or use a broom, but aside from the travel powers, I don't see any magic at all. And, again, isn't that what I bought the pack for? Why are Occult players treated like our gameplay has to be in hiding all the time? If you've dedicated an entire pack to a single Occult state, then why in the world would you restrict it? Let us play it as it should be played! I'd swear, it's treated like adult content and will get a child-safety filter next, lol.

So my hope is that, after doing this poll, the devs realize that Happy Haunts getting second place means that there are almost as many Occult players out here as realism players. Obviously, I don't have the actual numbers of votes, but I still think that getting second place is important and shouldn't be ignored. I hope that they will seriously consider a Haunted Game pack with a Ghosts overhaul and careers and good gameplay in it. But please, please, I beseech you devs, please don't hold back for the "normals". Go full creepy and bring Fears back to us. Let us enjoy a world full of haunted happenings. <3
    #Team Occult
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I think it had already been decided that Arts & Crafts was going to win no matter what the vote actually is. Because Happy Haunts would have required more work and effort to create animations, objects and coding for it, whereas Arts & Crafts wouldn't be.

It's Laundry Day all over again.
  • LuxuryLuxury Posts: 127 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Renato10 wrote: »
    What I find kinda silly is the fact that devs also voted on the poll and they are proud to share it on twitter. Like... really?

YEAHHHH I don't think they should have been allowed to vote especially since they are the ones who determine what's next for every other pack.

They??? what???? why on earth would they vote on the pack. Who allowed them to do that?
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I voted for Happy Haunts second and it did get a close choice. Honestly I looked at all the packs we had already when making the decision and Arts and Crafts just had the most unique gameplay that wasn't in the game already. They had a lot of potential of really new things to be added into the Happy Haunts that haven't been added to the Sims 4 before and I felt like they felt short with new ideas in a few areas. But honestly with the other three choices it was pretty much rinse and repeat of ideas already in the game or apart of the modding community for free already. I'm actually hoping for a GP for the Happy Haunts idea instead that could either have zombies or werewolves or genies. I think it is an theme that would be too limited within the SP parameters.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,177 Member
    My biggest problem with this is......why not make this into actual content regardless? Why do we have to vote for this? It's like regardless of what we actually want, EA and Maxis makes "Island Living" which is.......just Island Stuff......fun fun. I mean honestly at this point I do regret buying Island Living because after living in Sulani for one Sim generation all I can say is....yeah not having another family move there. Just not going to be fun a second time. It was a waste of resources in all honesty. But again, we were stuck with it regardless. The EA and Maxis teams said "Hey, our next big expansion pack that those sheep will surely buy because we deliberately had this game have as little content as possible so they'll be begging and pleading for any sort of content whatsoever be about.....Islands! There's also Mermaids....That really only have any sort of use on those Islands but......ISLANDS!!!!" of all things we could've had, EA just throws Islands at us and says "Now shut the hell up for 6 months."

Meanwhile, here's EA and Maxis giving us the chance to VOTE for a variety of mildly interesting packs. So what you're saying is......NOW you're actually going to DANGLE CONTENT IN OUR FACES! Then take it away and go "Hooray, you get Knitting now! Just Knitting! YOU EXCITED YET?!" No, this whole idea about voting for content is just plain evil in my eyes. Why not find a way to incorporate these ideas into future Expansion and Game packs instead of saying "Hey guys do you want all of this stuff or do you just want knitting? Knitting, okay we'll just throw all these other ideas into the trash." I know people keep saying "Hey, maybe they'll make Happy Haunts eventually." Yeah well like I said, knowing current day Maxis we'll probably get something like Crocheting (They'll probably say "But guys, Crocheting and Knitting are two completely different things, so it makes perfect sense to charge you $10 for Knitting stuff and another $10 for Crocheting) before we ever get Happy Haunts.
    @DoodlyDoofus I agree. This whole vote system doesn't sit well with me. I think they just want the community to feel included which is nice because I know they mean well but it doesn't quite work. Surely they must know how awesome most of those packs and ideas were even from the last vote (still waiting on arcade stuff😑) All they had to do was integrate ALL of it into packs as you suggested. There is no teasing going on and everybody is happy. The tech players, the occult players and the realism players. 🙈
    I saw all of this awesome stuff flashed before my eyes and then taken away, replaced by a all of yarn and laundry.😩 (no offense to the laundry and/or knitting lovers).
    I have a theory about the process of the community Stuff Pack. I think it's not just a way to get players involved in the development and get a much-desired feature, but also a way to see what themes people talk about, what ideas they throw around, and get some creative inspiration. They have told us that none of the themes are completely off the table and we may see some of them in future packs, but it usually depends on interest. This is why it's very important that we keep letting them know that we really want the Happy Haunts features. If they see that there is an ongoing demand for it, they just might put it together with a Ghost overhaul (that people have been requesting) and give us another Occult Game Pack. But we have to keep pushing for it.

Also, I think that Jungle Adventures was the result of the "Dangerous" pack theme from the previous voting poll. Just speculation, but it does have a dangerous jungle and many temple traps and curses. I don't think it's what people expected, but the whole Indiana Jones thing just screams "danger" to me. And I do love that pack.

So here's hoping that the Happy Haunts theme remains active in development discussions.
    #Team Occult
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I have a theory about the process of the community Stuff Pack. I think it's not just a way to get players involved in the development and get a much-desired feature, but also a way to see what themes people talk about, what ideas they throw around, and get some creative inspiration. They have told us that none of the themes are completely off the table and we may see some of them in future packs, but it usually depends on interest. This is why it's very important that we keep letting them know that we really want the Happy Haunts features. If they see that there is an ongoing demand for it, they just might put it together with a Ghost overhaul (that people have been requesting) and give us another Occult Game Pack. But we have to keep pushing for it.

Also, I think that Jungle Adventures was the result of the "Dangerous" pack theme from the previous voting poll. Just speculation, but it does have a dangerous jungle and many temple traps and curses. I don't think it's what people expected, but the whole Indiana Jones thing just screams "danger" to me. And I do love that pack.

So here's hoping that the Happy Haunts theme remains active in development discussions.
    Yep some of the voted ideas have made it into other packs. During the first vote one of the lights that didn't make it actually got added to Fitness Pack. So I am more than fine having Happy Haunts gameplay make it in a larger pack.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Scobre wrote: »

Yep some of the voted ideas have made it into other packs. During the first vote one of the lights that didn't make it actually got added to Fitness Pack. So I am more than fine having Happy Haunts gameplay make it in a larger pack.

Yes, and we got the Off the Grid lot trait plus items adjusted to be used off the grid, and we got the bees in Seasons, which was also being talked about during the "eco"/laundry pack development. And we'll probably see more when a Farming pack comes out.

So let's not give up hope for Hauntings. It got second place so the devs do know we're interested. But keep asking! Don't let the idea fizzle!
    #Team Occult

To answer your question, Sims 2's "trigger" system could go wild once the player triggered it. At least with Vampires it did, because I went through the effort of chasing around a Vampire NPC to build up the relationship to the proper level so I could get them to my house and bite my Sim. You had to actually ask them to bite you and had to be, I think, a "friend" status. But once your Sim became a Vampire, that NPC would show up on public lots and bite other Sims, even played Sims, and Vampirism would spread. There was a potion that could cure it, that could be obtained from the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Matchmaker. But hoo boy, I ended up with several Vampires in my game and some very unexpected encounters. So Sims 2 did go a little crazy with it once it was initiated. But I loved it, lol.

Thanks for explaining, that sounds right up my alley lol, I enjoy the game throwing spanners in the works and seeing what I can make of it.

@Amavari

Yes!! This exactly!

I remember when Vampires came out, and the devs told us that they wanted to put a lot of focus on them but they knew that not everyone wanted to play with Occults so they specifically put them in a Game Pack all to themselves. The reasoning was that people who didn't want them weren't missing much by skipping the pack, while those of us who did really want them could go nuts with it. Of course, those who like to have separate saves and just dabble with Occult play were kind of stuck making a decision one way or the other, which is unfortunate. But the information was there that no, there wasn't a toggle. The pack was amazing and we who wanted it were blown away. It added some much-needed darkness and gloom to the game (even if we didn't have Fear emotions :s ) and the pack was, I think, the first one since Sims 4's release that was very well received on the forums. And then the realistic players bought it for the furniture and started complaining that they were triggered by Vampire break-ins. I remember they were going to nerf the break-ins at one time and we rallied against it so they didn't, but since then it seems that they did it anyway so that Vampires still come to the door but they don't come in. RIP Vampire autonomous bites. :'(

But what's done is done and choices were made. The point is that if you got the pack, you were going to get Vampire break-ins. Many Occult players loved this feature and our gameplay was changed because non-Occult players couldn't find a way to live without a few pieces of furniture, bought the pack, complained, and ruined it for us. That is completely unfair.

I think the developers need to stop trying to please everyone by meeting halfway all the time. This is exactly what makes people cry out that everything is "half-baked". If you're going to do Occults, run with it and go all out. If you're going to do family play, go deep. If you're going to put in kegs and parties, go wild. If you're going to have activities, go detailed and include groups. This is part of the formula that made past games so enjoyable. They were unapologetically exaggerated and dramatic and the turnout could always be either good or bad. This made the gameplay exciting.

Toggles in Sims 3 work like a charm, so I have no idea what lesson they needed to learn there? If I want no supernaturals spawning in my Sims 3 game, they simply don't. It's as simple as that and nothing ever broke because of it. The point is, even when you love occults in your game (I do), that doesn't mean you want them crawling all over the place all the time (I don't). The way I play my occults, is that they're a rarity in a normal world. I'd love vampire break ins, I wouldn't want that all the time though. I'd want the ability to choose: toggles. If Sims 3 has taught us ne thing, is that toggles work and they're the best solution. Because it actually means they can please everyone. That's perfectly possible. Maybe simmers should stop thinking/accepting they can't. The problem is, apparently toggles in Sims 4 aren't possible. Let's not drag Sims 3 into that. The game was a mess but it actually did a lot of things right as well.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited December 2019
    @Amavari

Yes!! This exactly!

Toggles in Sims 3 work like a charm, so I have no idea what lesson they needed to learn there? If I want no supernaturals spawning in my Sims 3 game, they simply don't. It's as simple as that and nothing ever broke because of it. The point is, even when you love occults in your game (I do), that doesn't mean you want them crawling all over the place all the time (I don't). The way I play my occults, is that they're a rarity in a normal world. I'd love vampire break ins, I wouldn't want that all the time though. I'd want the ability to choose: toggles. If Sims 3 has taught us ne thing, is that toggles work and they're the best solution. Because it actually means they can please everyone. That's perfectly possible. Maybe simmers should stop thinking/accepting they can't. The problem is, apparently toggles in Sims 4 aren't possible. Let's not drag Sims 3 into that. The game was a mess but it actually did a lot of things right as well.

Please don't derail this thread by making it about Sims 3. I was merely repeating what I had seen the devs state. Neither of us is a Sims developer so neither of us can actually say for sure what did or didn't cause issues, or what will or won't cause issues in the future. Remember, not everyone had their games "run like a charm", especially without mods, same with Sims 4. And Sims 4 mechanics are developed the way they're developed. Five years later, it's not going to change. If toggles cause problems then there's nothing we can do about it and we'll have to accept they're going to be avoided. That's life.

My main point was that if they do decide to move forward with a "Happy Haunts" pack, that they go full into it and don't gimp the content. That's the whole point of having Occult content in a separate Game Pack when you can't have toggles. Not to cater to those who "might" want to play with Occults, but to cater to those who do.
    Post edited by LiELF on
    #Team Occult
    This thread is comforting <3
    And I am happy it came so close to arts and craft like you said, atleast they know how many people are interested so there is still hope!!! And if it comes eventually I pray it's not watered down.
    :D the current haunted house lot trait is sooooooo bad. All sims do is get "tense" from being there. But I have not ever seen a ghost pop up. There should atleast be some spooky noises, something moving around or popping up. SOMETHING...anything.... :D And the worst part is that even if a ghost did pop up it would be like a casual Casper the friendly ghost coming over for brunch 🤣
    edited December 2019
    @Amavari

Yes!! This exactly!

Please don't derail this thread by making it about Sims 3. I was merely repeating what I had seen the devs state. Neither of us is a Sims developer so neither of us can actually say for sure what did or didn't cause issues, or what will or won't cause issues in the future. Remember, not everyone had their games "run like a charm", especially without mods, same with Sims 4. And Sims 4 mechanics are developed the way they're developed. Five years later, it's not going to change. If toggles cause problems then there's nothing we can do about it and we'll have to accept they're going to be avoided. That's life.

My main point was that if they do decide to move forward with a "Happy Haunts" pack, that they go full into it and don't gimp the content. That's the whole point of having Occult content in a separate Game Pack when you can't have toggles. Not to cater to those who "might" want to play with Occults, but to cater to those who do.
    I didn’t. You did. ”I guess it was a lesson they learned from Sims 3 and was one of the design choices that caused problems.”
    The subject was toggles and for some reason you came up with Sims 3 to ‘prove’ toggles don’t work. While it’s the other way around: toggles clearly do work, they work perfectly and are a perfect solution to cater different kind of players. The devs as far as I know have only stated that toggles are not an option for Sims 4, they haven’t learned anything. They just got rid of things they found complex for some reason, I don’t consider that learning. The Sims 3 link was yours. And it actually is important and not derailing: everybody advocating toggles is completely right and has the franchise’s past on their side to prove it. I’ve never seen anyone complaining about the toggles in Sims 3 not working.

I agree that when you buy an occult pack, you have to be prepared to play with occults. That doesn’t mean you have to accept them to become a complete plague though. Toggles are one way to prevent that. Having to actively trigger them is another, though it doesn’t help when sims start doing that autonomously like with (sorry, have to mention the game again) mermaids in Sims 3.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Nope. :D You picked out one sentence from my entire conversation, a sentence (that followed a short summary of information from developers) that was clearly speculative theory and was said in passing to the topic, while still referring to Sims 4, and you turned a magnifying glass on it and jumped on it because it didn't shine fairy lights on Sims 3, and you started talking about Sims 3 gameplay, claiming I was talking about Sims 3, which I really wasn't. You could have just let it pass by, it hardly mattered. Truly.

But since we're discussing it now, I'll add that just because you haven't seen players have problems with the toggles doesn't mean it didn't cause issues in development. Which is why I said, "Neither of us is a Sims developer so neither of us can actually say for sure what did or didn't cause issues, or what will or won't cause issues in the future." I'll also point out that even you yourself said that the devs were referencing the inability to use toggles in Sims 4... because you said this: "The problem is, apparently toggles in Sims 4 aren't possible," which is exactly what my point was in the first place, lol. So I think we can both agree that Sims 3 has no relevance here.

The actual topic, by the way, is the community voting poll, why realism players seem to get their way over Occult players, and if we're ever going to see the Happy Haunts content in the future. Toggles were spoken of in reference to Sims 4 Occult-based gameplay. It's not about Sims 3 in this thread, it's about Sims 4, and the single Sims 3 sentence I wrote was still in reference to Sims 4 and the topic. Now, are we done?
    #Team Occult
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Amavari wrote: »

Plantsims: temporary
    Lightning powers that require active effort to get: temporary
    Realm of Magic: just there, they could have done so much with it that they didn't do
    Vampires: get flack for existing and have nothing to do
    Spellcasters: get flack for existing and have nothing to do
    Aliens: afterthought and have nothing to do
    Mermaids: don't even have a complete transformation animation they just.. *poof-tail* in the water and have nothing to do

Realism
    Wanted active jobs: got active jobs
    Wanted university: got university
    Wanted seasons: got seasons
    Wanted baby stuff: got baby stuff
    Wanted laundry stuff: got laundry stuff
    Wanted pet stuff: got pet stuff
    Wanted to be famous: got get famous
    Wanted an island paradise: got island living
    Wanted stay at home jobs and part time jobs: got freelance jobs and part time jobs
    Wanted to own stores and clubs and gyms: get to own stores and clubs and gyms
    Wanted spa stuff: got spa stuff
    Wanted city living: got city living
    Wanted movie theater stuff: got home theater stuff
    Wanted blahblahblah: got blahblahblah

Lightning powers that require active effort to get: temporary Obviously a side feature
    Realm of Magic: just there, they could have done so much with it that they didn't do This can pretty much be said about everything in Sims 4
    Vampires: get flack for existing and have nothing to do I agree why cant I hunt those Vampires they're so boring
    Spellcasters: get flack for existing and have nothing to do Cast spells?
    Aliens: afterthought and have nothing to do More so discovering them is the story they want you to tell
    Mermaids: don't even have a complete transformation animation they just.. *poof-tail* in the water and have nothing to do Such a waste they could have done something you know for actual island living

Lets not forget the poor Plant Boss supernatural players always ignore an entire story pack created for them but is always ignored.

Realism
    Wanted active jobs: got active jobs I only wanted active military career which was poorly done that's putting it nicely and to have my Sim work as a waiter never happened.
    Wanted university: got university Never wanted University and the things I did want was active classes and fraternities got neither
    Wanted seasons: got seasons Okay sure but no snow depth and what little group activities we got failed
    Wanted baby stuff: got baby stuff We did!?!!! #FreedBabies
    Wanted laundry stuff: got laundry stuff Only because it was laundry or eco living so bad, I wanted the arcade
    Wanted pet stuff: got pet stuff Most boring pets with nothing to do but watch them also no birds or horses such a let down
    Wanted to be famous: got get famous I wanted bands not to play a Hollywood star
    Wanted an island paradise: got island living Pretty sure people wanted vacation options with hotels I sure wanted surfing and real diving which would have also improved mermaids.
    Wanted stay at home jobs and part time jobs: got freelance jobs and part time jobs I never did
    Wanted to own stores and clubs and gyms: get to own stores and clubs and gyms You can own clubs and gyms how did I not know this? Also retail is horrible have not touched it for years they made no reason to.
    Wanted spa stuff: got spa stuff Sure I guess not my thing exactly but well done pack
    Wanted city living: got city living Got shells and no way to create our own apartments so fun!
    Wanted movie theater stuff: got home theater stuff Not the same beyond watching movies there's no real way to make a working theater
    Wanted blahblahblah: got blahblahblah I always wanted blahblahblah by that I hope you mean cars, updated traits and preteens
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Nope. :D You picked out one sentence from my entire conversation, a sentence (that followed a short summary of information from developers) that was clearly speculative theory and was said in passing to the topic, while still referring to Sims 4, and you turned a magnifying glass on it and jumped on it because it didn't shine fairy lights on Sims 3, and you started talking about Sims 3 gameplay, claiming I was talking about Sims 3, which I really wasn't. You could have just let it pass by, it hardly mattered. Truly.

But since we're discussing it now, I'll add that just because you haven't seen players have problems with the toggles doesn't mean it didn't cause issues in development. Which is why I said, "Neither of us is a Sims developer so neither of us can actually say for sure what did or didn't cause issues, or what will or won't cause issues in the future." I'll also point out that even you yourself said that the devs were referencing the inability to use toggles in Sims 4... because you said this: "The problem is, apparently toggles in Sims 4 aren't possible," which is exactly what my point was in the first place, lol. So I think we can both agree that Sims 3 has no relevance here.

The actual topic, by the way, is the community voting poll, why realism players seem to get their way over Occult players, and if we're ever going to see the Happy Haunts content in the future. Toggles were spoken of in reference to Sims 4 Occult-based gameplay. It's not about Sims 3 in this thread, it's about Sims 4, and the single Sims 3 sentence I wrote was still in reference to Sims 4 and the topic. Now, are we done?

👏👏👏👏👏👏 Stanning.
  • AmavariAmavari Posts: 167 Member
    edited December 2019
    @ChadSims2 I'm not even going to argue with you, I'll just be equally passive aggressive with my reply.

if you want to pop in acting like you've been somehow wronged, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before that /content in general could be fleshed out a great deal more than it is/ which if you'd bothered to read a few comments would be clear to you but I'm sorry you're such a hateful boy who never gets anything you want.

And perhaps it's too much to expect certain people not to come in with a flame bait response to the topic so I am deeply apologetic over anything I may have done to hurt your deep feelings.

Occults don't ignore strangerville, most just don't consider the pack occult.. because it's not. I actually liked strangerville as I said before. I'd like to see more storyline/RPG built packs come along..

I'd also love to have a go to work style military job, and several other follow to work styled jobs in general because newsflash /I have a military sim family, they are my second most played/ so agreed with you~ except for how it's laughable that you make it sound like you have no options, I must have missed the twenty occult jobs that are clearly in plain view on the careers list that my various occults can do.

>.> Also.. discovering aliens is the gameplay for them? Lol I always love how several aliens walk around in their real form and don't get discovered unless they use their powers, I must have missed where it's a huge discovery, maybe I can just naturally see through their disguises all the time.

Vampires are boring - wow it's almost like they were neutered or something in favor of realism players complaining about how they didn't want them in "their real life simulator" and just kind of aimlessly wander around just like every other sim even if they are literally starving to death.

Spellcasters cast spells - OooOooo~ .....lol... and the magic realm has so much to do even compared to Sulani with it's two new careers, change over time system where the island gets prettier, ability to go and do things that are unique to the islands in general, even if they are a rabbit hole... goodness I'd better rush back and take up that wizard career and get some nice robes for my spellcasters--- oh wait... that's not a thing.

Mermaids - *dolphin noises*
    Aliens- *threaten with probe*

Lightning powers that take effort to get are a side feature - ReeeEeeaAalLy?? Its almost as though you said exactly what I said about them, for a side feature they sure do require a lot of carefully timed getting stricken by lightning or a lot of luck to not die, it's almost as though I think there should just be a way to lock those powers in or something~

You didn't want university - you're a special special snowflake.

Post edited by Amavari on