The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In 2002 Will Wright said:

124...Next

Comments

• missmani09missmani09 Posts: 692 Member
    I also wish to thank everyone, regardless if I agree with you or not, for your opinions. Everyone has a right to them.
    Sims 4 in ways has advanced but in many ways it hasn't at all. Who would have thought that Sims 4, in some aspects, has gone back further in advancement then what we even had in the original Sims 15 years ago? I don't believe that toddlers are the sole reason that those who don't like the game are upset and disenfranchised; toddlers are a brush stroke in a much larger picture. The larger picture is the amount of missing items, what is missing, the lack of true emotions, and the lack of Sim to Sim interactions that had been in previous base games. [...]
    Let’s face it we all know what items are missing and if the creators would just add them in or had put them in to begin with, instead of making excuses (and promises that they have not been kept), it would have and would save themselves a lot of headaches, complaining and angry consumers. [...]
    Yes, I will be the first to admit, I have been hard on the entire Sims 4 team and I will continue to be so, but being hard on them isn't a bad thing, old school yes, but not a bad thing. I am hard on them because I want them to do better, I want them to want to do better, and I know the game can and should be better than it is. [...]
    I don't hate Sims 4, I have never said I do, I do like it... but the problem is I do not love it and I want to. I want to be able to get lost in it for hours and hours the way I do Sims 2... but I don't after an hour I am pretty much bored [...] I don't think it is fair or right to attack a person because they love the game, but as well I don't think it is fair for those that love the game to attack those who don't. Regardless of who we are or where we come from we each have Sims in common and I hope we all could agree we want and deserve the game to be the best it can be, bug free and none of us should have to pay for missing items that were staples in previous base games 15, 10 & 5 years ago.
    tumblr_nb2ti73W851r689y4o1_250.gif

& Let the church say, Ahmen.

tumblr_m9hdn1tRYq1qbh0eio1_500.gif
    Toddlers are FINALLY HERE!!!
  • moonandsixpensmoonandsixpens Posts: 553 Member
    For me the sims4 fails in world view in front of the sims3 and epic fails in the sentience of sims in front of the sims2. The only thing great about sims 4 is its build/buy system minus the lack of cfe and CASt. I know people complain about how buggy and laggy the sims3 is but that's technical issue and should not affect the critics of the design/ideology of the game. And there are a lot of ways to reduce lags, among which is to upgrade your computer. I am sorry to break it but sophisticated games tend to demand more computer capacity, especially when the game saves the whole world instead of families to keep everything in the same world on the same page and when you want to have high graphics.

I don't see how sims 3 deviates much from the original franchise and there is simply no going back from open worlds. The open world system just changes my whole perspective of the environment my sims reside in. It's so easy to go outside and experience the community. In sims4 with all those loading screens I just don't feel like to send my sims out. And in sims4 the whole world is my sim family, while in sims 3 I can press "M" and go where I please to observe other sims' life without losing focus on my own sims. And my sims can explore almost every inch of the world, roaming the roads or deviate from them, making a stop at any point. There is no natural fragmentations in real life space and so there shouldn't be any in the sims game.

On the other hand I can play for hours in sims2 even with the loading screen because sims are much more "sentient". Their moods are not easily moved by a good painting when they feel really bad about losing their jobs. And they won't become more "focused" just because they played chess earlier. Just like in real life a person won't be automatically more focused on job after a chess game. In fact he/her may be even more distracted by the ego boost/bruise from winning or losing the game. In sims 3 I also don't like it when sims can still be happy when their loved ones died as long as they are in a well decorated room sitting comfortably on an expensive chair. Things are even worse in the sims4 when the sim info panel folds all the other buffs and displaying only one (or 3? can't remember), and you have to manually check the other emotions constantly and it makes you lose focus on the big picture of their mental condition. Emotions are not mutually exclusive in real life and when you do that in game, picking a most significant one and ignore all the others + dismissing the situation where multiple emotions are equally strong, you are downgrading a sim's capacity to feel/to experience their lives in a complex way.

I know I am being very critical but the sims game is one of a kind and I don't want to see it choose the easy/fluffy way and ask the players to go along with it.
    tumblr_noncvdlzEI1unxm84o1_540.png

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

I don't see how sims 3 deviates much from the original franchise and there is simply no going back from open worlds. The open world system just changes my whole perspective of the environment my sims reside in. It's so easy to go outside and experience the community. In sims4 with all those loading screens I just don't feel like to send my sims out. And in sims4 the whole world is my sim family, while in sims 3 I can press "M" and go where I please to observe other sims' life without losing focus on my own sims. And my sims can explore almost every inch of the world, roaming the roads or deviate from them, making a stop at any point. There is no natural fragmentations in real life space and so there shouldn't be any in the sims game.

Good points :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    missmani09 wrote: »
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    @missmani09
    In my opinion TS3 strayed from the roots of the sims up to that point, that's why I didn't play it. When I opened this game I felt like I came home to my game again. I'm not going to list all my reasons to you as I don't feel you are doing more than mocking with the next quote you decided to place, but if you wish to look up my profile. I have explained it quite a few times in the past in other threads.

Thanks for answering me.
    Your first two sentences gave me your explanation short and to the point.
    I thought the additional comment was funny. That is all.
    I was not trying to "mock" you, so please do not be offended.
    If you were, my apologies. That wasn't my intention. :/

Happy Simming.<3

You didn't really need to apologize, but it is funny how that seems to help. I apologize myself for allowing not only myself to get worked up but to take it out on you with a snap comment.
    Happy Simming right back :wink:
    egTcBMc.png
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    @natashified
    "If you can't accept the fact that others like the game, then you are a main part if the issue at hand on the forums. Point blank."

Oh, really? And how do you expect me to react to that statement? People who like the game have a hard time accepting the fact that I, personally, am not happy with the game, and that I can occasionally call out a player who defends the game for being dismissive of the opinions of those who dislike the game. So, what...if I can't be part of the solution, I should leave, and that would solve everything? You might want to clarify your statement, lest I take it the wrong way.

@CapraCorn104
    "How is that so hard to accept? People like different things, it's that simple."

And how is it hard to accept the fact that I don't particularly like this iteration of the Sims franchise? It's that simple, yet every day I see these so-called "Voices of Reason" putting the blame on the fans who continuously express their disappointment. What's more, they keep saying that this game is going to improve with further expansion packs. I find that hard to believe, given how disappointing Get To Work has been so far, even for those fans who started out liking this game.

You see, it really works both ways. You two expect me to accept the fact that others like this game. Does this also mean that I'm to accept their intolerant attitude towards those who aren't crazy about this game? Because, in the short run, the people who defend this game are dismissive of those of us who aren't crazy about it and praising it to the skies.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
    Well, it seems that this thread has been sentenced to Off Topic, maybe it was a bit of arguing? This is not what Will Wright would have wanted :disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Well, it seems that this thread has been sentenced to Off Topic, maybe it was a bit of arguing? This is not what Will Wright would have wanted :disappointed:

Or maybe it's just because the main thread content mentioned nothing about the sims4? Perhaps if you had put the argument more tide to the sims4 it wouldn't be considered off topic? Please note that I don't mean to criticise your thread but simply making a suggestion, and I certainly don't want to offend you in any way :)

Or maybe it's just because the main thread content mentioned nothing about the sims4? Perhaps if you had put the argument more tide to the sims4 it wouldn't be considered off topic? Please note that I don't mean to criticise your thread but simply making a suggestion, and I certainly don't want to offend you in any way :)

It was about The Sims in general lol

Will Wright is the reason that we are all here
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg

It was about The Sims in general lol

Will Wright is the reason that we are all here

I guess the general discussion under the sims4 panel is about the discussion of sims4 instead of the whole sim game. There isn't really a general discussion forum for the whole series so here we are in the "off topic" section lol

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Sorry, but I have a hard time accepting the fact that there are people who actually like this game the way it is, and who are willing to spend yet more money on it. It doesn't matter what anyone says, this isn't a true Sims game. It's an overgrown tablet game, nothing more.

But, be that as it may, those of you who wish we negative nellies would just dry up and blow away and leave this forum to you (along with all the other Sims 4 forums), don't worry...you'll get your wish eventually.

People *will* get tired of talking to a stone wall and just get up and walk away. It may not happen right away, but if the state of these forums is anything to go by...that day is not so far off. And then the sound of crickets (with the occasion chirp of a cheerful Sims 4 player who loves this game) will be the only sound/writing that is heard/seen on these forums...just like the SimCity 2013 forums.
    How is that so hard to accept? People like different things, it's that simple.

I think, or at least how I understand the comment, is if someone has been playing the Sims since day one, or even since TS2 era or TS3 era, and they know the fundamentals and the core of The Sims, then how could someone simply and openly accept the Sims 4 as a squeal or the next generation of sims, when it has deviated so far from what the Sims are.

I have said it before, I don't hate Sims 4, but it should have been a companion piece, not billed and a continuation in the Sims franchise. When you come at it from that point of view, that it's a side game, then it's an enjoyable game.

Does that make sense? Or I should say, do I make sense? LOL

No, it doesn't.

Those of us who like the game are not lesser creatures who don't understand the real "fundamentals" and "core" of the game. We just like a particular version of it that you don't.

I just deleted a huge rant about communication on this forum, which was my original riff on this post. If there's one thing coming back to this topic after a day out has taught me, it's that nobody here cares to hear how their words are being received.

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    I love that at 17:41 of the video, where it shows them swimming in the pool, there is no ladder.
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »
    I love that at 17:41 of the video, where it shows them swimming in the pool, there is no ladder.

I noticed that as well, somebody must have been on a killing spree >:)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ArielDelphinusArielDelphinus Posts: 628 Member
    missmani09 wrote: »
    I also wish to thank everyone, regardless if I agree with you or not, for your opinions. Everyone has a right to them.
    Sims 4 in ways has advanced but in many ways it hasn't at all. Who would have thought that Sims 4, in some aspects, has gone back further in advancement then what we even had in the original Sims 15 years ago? I don't believe that toddlers are the sole reason that those who don't like the game are upset and disenfranchised; toddlers are a brush stroke in a much larger picture. The larger picture is the amount of missing items, what is missing, the lack of true emotions, and the lack of Sim to Sim interactions that had been in previous base games. [...]
    Let’s face it we all know what items are missing and if the creators would just add them in or had put them in to begin with, instead of making excuses (and promises that they have not been kept), it would have and would save themselves a lot of headaches, complaining and angry consumers. [...]
    Yes, I will be the first to admit, I have been hard on the entire Sims 4 team and I will continue to be so, but being hard on them isn't a bad thing, old school yes, but not a bad thing. I am hard on them because I want them to do better, I want them to want to do better, and I know the game can and should be better than it is. [...]
    I don't hate Sims 4, I have never said I do, I do like it... but the problem is I do not love it and I want to. I want to be able to get lost in it for hours and hours the way I do Sims 2... but I don't after an hour I am pretty much bored [...] I don't think it is fair or right to attack a person because they love the game, but as well I don't think it is fair for those that love the game to attack those who don't. Regardless of who we are or where we come from we each have Sims in common and I hope we all could agree we want and deserve the game to be the best it can be, bug free and none of us should have to pay for missing items that were staples in previous base games 15, 10 & 5 years ago.
    tumblr_nb2ti73W851r689y4o1_250.gif

& Let the church say, Ahmen.

tumblr_m9hdn1tRYq1qbh0eio1_500.gif

LOL, thank you :)
    “Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.”
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • Pyur_JeniusPyur_Jenius Posts: 101 Member
    Will Wright passes by Sims 4 in the store...
    Me (with hand covering the front of box): Look away Will, just look away.
    Will sadly shakes head and keeps walking

LOL I LOVE this!^^

For me the base game speaks volumes. It needs to be able to stand on it's own two feet. You should be able to play it and not feel "Oh, man, I really need that first EP to drop!" With The Sims I had no idea that people even created CC for it. I remember after I got the game when it first launched - I had no clue what the Sims where. I just picked it up because it was a virtual doll house!!! - I played it for seven months straight. Then I got online and I just happened to search for Sims items or something like that.

I found The Well Dressed Sim (oh the memories!) And that's what turned me onto CC and my downloading obsession. LOL I even joined the forum, made some friends and found out about this thing called an expansion pack. I asked why was it called that, and I was told because it enhanced the base game play. I ordered it - LL - and was hooked.

What's wrong for me with TS4 - and mind you, I don't hate the game. It's an o.k. game for me but it's not a true Sims game - is that even the base game is a shell of what came before it. And I remember clearly in the forums posts made by those who like and love the game, were asking about the first EP or SP or even a DLC store only a month after launch. They needed more items to give their sims things to do. They were starting to get bored.

And this takes me back to expansion, it's supposed to enhance the game play, it's supposed to build off of the base game. We shouldn't have to keep buying EPs and SPs just to make the game fun. That's not the point of those packs, or at least that wasn't the point in the past.

I just did this search "if the base game is this boring why should i buy an ep" and it brought me to this comment. YES. @GoldenBuffy you said it all. In fact, i refuse to pay more excessive $ for an EP when the base game stinks on ice. Even when i'm looking for trouble for my sims to make it interesting i can't find anything fun. The other base games totally engaged me and the EPs were icing, as they should be. AND, i bought all of them. But i refuse to pay a ransom for every tidbit of fun that should have been in the base game. I should not have had to pay $70 for a preview! I believe this franchise has just committed suicide. RIP

Jaz_in_SG-captioned%20copy_zps0ecd2f78.jpg

Greed destroys everything it touches.
    Gallery Link: PyurJenius
    Will Wright passes by Sims 4 in the store...
    Me (with hand covering the front of box): Look away Will, just look away.
    Will sadly shakes head and keeps walking

LOL I LOVE this!^^

For me the base game speaks volumes. It needs to be able to stand on it's own two feet. You should be able to play it and not feel "Oh, man, I really need that first EP to drop!" With The Sims I had no idea that people even created CC for it. I remember after I got the game when it first launched - I had no clue what the Sims where. I just picked it up because it was a virtual doll house!!! - I played it for seven months straight. Then I got online and I just happened to search for Sims items or something like that.

I found The Well Dressed Sim (oh the memories!) And that's what turned me onto CC and my downloading obsession. LOL I even joined the forum, made some friends and found out about this thing called an expansion pack. I asked why was it called that, and I was told because it enhanced the base game play. I ordered it - LL - and was hooked.

What's wrong for me with TS4 - and mind you, I don't hate the game. It's an o.k. game for me but it's not a true Sims game - is that even the base game is a shell of what came before it. And I remember clearly in the forums posts made by those who like and love the game, were asking about the first EP or SP or even a DLC store only a month after launch. They needed more items to give their sims things to do. They were starting to get bored.

And this takes me back to expansion, it's supposed to enhance the game play, it's supposed to build off of the base game. We shouldn't have to keep buying EPs and SPs just to make the game fun. That's not the point of those packs, or at least that wasn't the point in the past.

I just did this search "if the base game is this boring why should i buy an ep" and it brought me to this comment. YES. @GoldenBuffy you said it all. In fact, i refuse to pay more excessive $ for an EP when the base game stinks on ice. Even when i'm looking for trouble for my sims to make it interesting i can't find anything fun. The other base games totally engaged me and the EPs were icing, as they should be. AND, i bought all of them. But i refuse to pay a ransom for every tidbit of fun that should have been in the base game. I should not have had to pay $70 for a preview! I believe this franchise has just committed suicide. RIP

Well said! :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Wow that was beautiful, when Will was in charge, so much passion and focus went into the sims games. Maxis had enough time and thought to do what they needed to do in order to make the game a great experince for all players who played it. Every play style was included, no one was left out in the dark until now. :'(
    giphy.gif

Wow that was beautiful, when Will was in charge, so much passion and focus went into the sims games. Maxis had enough time and thought to do what they needed to do in order to make the game a great experince for all players who played it. Every play style was included, no one was left out in the dark until now. :'(

It was a great starting point that lasted for almost 15 years :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,116 Member
    edited December 2019
    Sorry, didn't realize how old this thread was...

****Deletes post and backs away slowly****

:flushed:
    Post edited by emorrill on
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    @emorrill I was actually looking for this video as I wanted to sample Will Wright's voice for a future 20th anniversary video! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg