Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just a question... observation....

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited December 2019
    I guess they just wanted to stay neutral. Not everyone celebrates Christmas or Thanksgiving. But then the Menorah is called a Menorah, and the Kinara a Kinara why didn’t they change the names too ? They’re religious items though, I guess they can’t change the names like that, that could look disrespectful.

I just wish Santa was Santa instead of Father Winter.
  • Options
    LuxuryLuxury Posts: 127 Member
    there's alot of winter holidays so I always thought that they named it "Winterfest" as to not be viewed as picking one holiday over the other, same with Harvestfest or whatever its called in-game.

the menorah and kinara are there-and with the correct names- because well it would be wrong to just change the name of those objects and they also wanted everyone to be able to create a holiday to their liking.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I like to replace Winterfest with Snowflake Day as it was known in Sims 3. I always add a Spooky Day as well. Easter I usually call Spring Day. The Simverse is not the real world, and so it makes quite a lot of sense to me to use fictional holiday names which represent the corresponding real life ones. But it's really just a celebration of the different seasons. There is no faith or religion of any kind in my game.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    It is strange that they have religious items in game, with a no religion ever stance...
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    It is strange that they have religious items in game, with a no religion ever stance...

Exactly this.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I could see requesting more specifically religious objects, ie: crosses. I'm not asking for them but I'd also take them. Different sims do have different religious views in my game but it's not something that I want to debate on the forum.

I'm just playing a whole community so there are some sims from multiple different faiths interacting with each other.

I don't quite understand complaining about holidays that can be renamed because I'm not a fan of complaining about things that can be edited. I understand that someone might need to learn about how to do that. As for Winterfest and Father Winter, I don't think it's that PC. The character looks and acts like Santa or Father Christmas. These can be religious concepts or not.

You can have as much religion in the game as you want. You can build lots and with the club system or possibly the parties, you can make religious services, if you want. Set up a speech podium and you can have services. Customize what you want, it just isn't imposed on others either.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I created a club in my game for studying a certain spiritual text.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options

Why is that strange? It's a simple matter of not forcing a particular religion on players. It's the politically sound thing to do. Religion is a very tender subject for some. The Sims is played by people from many cultures. You've got so much freedom to customize your Sim's calendar. How can this be a problem whatsoever?

It's like some of you don't see the bigger picture here, either because you can't or refuse to. But I digress.

• Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I have played sims since the beginning and just this year something occurred to me. We have the Menorah, Kwanzaa, but winterfest? why can we not have Christmas if we can have the others? We now have such diversity and are able to create it in our games, why omit this one thing? It boggles the mind.

It's simple, political correctness.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited December 2019
    At this point, with the menorah and Chinese New year (at least for Year of the Pig) items in the holiday pack, I can see requesting a nativity or advent wreath - I'd rather have the advent wreath, now that I think about it - and maybe a cross for those who want to make an Easter - for those who don't want to use CC, as I'm pretty sure all of that is available as CC somewhere - I've seen both the advent wreath and the cross, at least.

The holidays in Seasons I find fine as they are. Well, I get rid of the harvestfest gnomes once my Sims have established a garden, but otherwise they're fine. :smile:

Personally, I'd be more comfortable as a Christian if the Sims 4 brought in some official Jacobean and Peteran icons and such from Sims Medieval than bringing in actual symbols of my faith, but that's just me.
  • Options
    KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    I'm not seeing the issue. Yes, the religious objects are named occuring to their real world counterpart and the Sims team decided to omit Christian items in the game. I can see how that would be weird. But as far as the actual holiday goes- the calendar doesn't automatically have Kwanzaa. It doesn't automatically have Hanukkah. It doesn't automatically have [i]any[/i] religious holiday, because it would be weird and uncomfortable to try and force a real world, religious celebration on Sims player. Instead, if it's important to you that those be present in the game, they give you the tools to add them yourself.

And despite some people saying Christmas isn't religious- it is. I won't go into specifics because I feel like I'm already really pushing the no religion rule, but it is. People not a part of the religion can celebrate it, I certainly do, but that doesn't make it suddenly secular.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »

Why is that strange? It's a simple matter of not forcing a particular religion on players. It's the politically sound thing to do. Religion is a very tender subject for some. The Sims is played by people from many cultures. You've got so much freedom to customize your Sim's calendar. How can this be a problem whatsoever?

It's like some of you don't see the bigger picture here, either because you can't or refuse to. But I digress.

It's strange because not only do they exist, they are named what they are named in the real world. I can see all kinds of ways this could go very bad - and the stirrings are already making themselves apparent. I don't have a religion, so I don't have a horse in the game that way. But I do have a theology degree lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    @WildIrishBanshee The items are obviously there and properly named so that the player can implement them if they so choose. You still think that is strange? ;)

• Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited December 2019
    There are still specific holiday items that they purposely omitted. I can't really have my sims celebrate properly without a nativity and an advent candle wreath. The cc I found just does not fit what I need.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited December 2019
    Fun fact: You can create and alter any holiday via the calendar that comes with Seasons. This includes the traditions and, yes, even the name. So you can, in fact, call it Christmas. That name will even appear in the upper left of the screen from 6 am on the appointed day until 2 am of the following day. War on Christmas(TM) averted.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    There are still specific holiday items that they purposely omitted. I can't really have my sims celebrate properly without a nativity and an advent candle wreath. The cc I found just does not fit what I need.

If you haven't noticed, there are plenty of things in general that "they" haven't added. I don't believe we can expect every single holiday thing to be added ever. I couldn't have my Sims celebrate a Danish Christmas either, but I don't really care, since I don't have a need for my game to be an exact replica of the real world.

• Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    If you haven't noticed, there are plenty of things in general that "they" haven't added. I don't believe we can expect every single holiday thing to be added ever. I couldn't have my Sims celebrate a Danish Christmas either, but I don't really care, since I don't have a need for my game to be an exact replica of the real world.

There are some of us that like a bit of realism replicated. They have that for many other faiths, but certainly omitted certain others. I do believe we can expect certain things to be added, especially since the game "claims" to be so inclusive to all.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm...

Some of holidays that the game ships with are tied to one culture.

Spring-holiday with the bunny
    Love day
    Harvest Fest
    Spooky Day
    Winter Fest

That is a big part of feeling that the game sees your part of the world. There are all the Christmas stuff, trees and two actual npc’s. The Bunny and Santa. A whole Stuff Pack to Spooky Day.

I can see why they perhaps try to give a little focus to other parts of the world.

Since fairness is mentioned, lots more would be included for other cultures. Any special npc from another culture that you would like to see? I might be wrong but I think there is only Santa and the Easter Bunny available.

For me this is just so strange. To me it sounds like “Yes I got pretty much all my major cultural holidays represented in the game. With npc’s and Stuff Packs. How come they got one named candleholder?”
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Might be interesting for Snegaruchka (snow maiden) to make an appearance. In Russia she traditionally goes around with Father Winter from house to house.
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    This whole religion-in-the-sims debate kinda reminds of the controversies of putting crosses in schools and other public buildings...if they ever add religion, they'll better add in all of them, including pastafarianism and satanism lol
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Ooof, my bad, misunderstood my first post. Actually, it's called Winterfest because they didn't want to use actual holidays. It's traditions are pretty much Christmas, so if you renamed it you would have Christmas. Same with all the other holidays.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    @SilentKitty I believe that the Sims 4 team operates from primarily a Christian background and that this is evident in the default Sims 4 calender and some of the included seasonal items as well. But I don't see a problem with that. Being inclusive is not a matter of being neutral yourself, but about advocating room for differences. With a fully customizable calender, that is precisely what the team does.

If some of you feel that more and different holiday items should be included, then you really should make a legit post about it over the feedback/ideas forum. At least try to do something if it is that important to you.

Stating in general chat that Winterfest should be called Christmas by default is at best moot and at worst simply a provocative statement toward those who do not celebrate Christian holidays.