Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So I fully admit I've never got as far as the elder state in this game

Do elders actually have any unique action or things to do?
heartstopper-couple.gif

Comments

• Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited December 2019
    Nope. They can retire. This is a common complaint about this stage. That is why folks are excited about the upcoming knitting Stuff Pack. However, I still think we need a Generations pack desperately. I especially feel children, teens, and elders need a ton of new game play unique to their stages.
  • Options
    MrSunshineMrSunshine Posts: 99 Member
    Hey, it isn't wrong. I mean, some of us can't play past CAS/build mode and they're happy with that. ;)

But, yeah, currently we have no activities exclusively for elders.
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    yeah, elders are pretty boring. i usually just move them out of my main household into a nice little retirement cottage until they cark it
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited December 2019
    I think it may depend on the player's own age. I imagine that youngins find it boring and meaningless to play elders. But just you wait ;)

I don't mind elderly Sims at all - some of them, I'm very fond of. But I don't want my played Sims to become elders themselves. Why would I, I play with aging off for a reason. Also, I don't play generational families or challenges. My Sims achieve a lot and it would make no sense for me to just let them grow old and die. Then I'd feel I had completely wasted my time.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I do play with elders and the sims in my game die eventually (except the vampire). I don't judge any other playstyles.

I guess I'm playing a rotational legacy so the game changes as it moves along. Some sims are descendants of sims who started earlier in the save. I enjoy the sims that I play with but their time comes and then the focus moves to their children. It gives me a reason to have children and families in the game. I don't feel the urge to stay frozen in time with family play.

No, there isn't much that is unique for elders and more hobbies are needed for everyone in the game including them. Elders can spend more time with pets, with family, relaxing and doing the things that they always wanted to do.

I play a modern save and I try to keep my elders relevant. They sometimes dye their hair back to the color of their youths. I think of the upcoming knitting pack as hopefully multi-generational including for elders. I want hobbies for all ages but elders have more time to do these things.

Sometimes elders kind of become babysitters of their grandchildren in the game. In other versions, I always played that way. I always kept the elders but they helped to babysit their grandchildren in a large enough house for three generations. Probably due to a different perspective and also due to being able to play multiple households easily, my elders sometimes live in different houses than their children. Many have children who are still at home though that were born in late adulthood.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    edited December 2019
    I’ve made elders interesting in my game and specifically created them to play a part of my game play. I have one elder sim that I created to do some of the things I never have time to do with other age type sims; like explore gardening and bee keeping. She is retired but she is always busy with her cat at home, tending her garden, and trying to calm those bees. She is “freed sim” to do whatever, not tied down by school or work. I also created a elderly mom for Don Lothario, because I needed a stable caretaker for some of Don’s offspring he had created with random sims. She had her own little house where she took care of two of Don’s kids, raised them from infant to teenagers until she died. So they can be interesting if you find ways to utilize them.
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Mine always check out early from jog or woohoo exhaustion.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I don’t play elders. Never have in any Sims game.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    The only gripe I truly have with Elders in this game is they jump from an Adult, who is vibrant to immediately bent over with a full head of gray hair! I'm within just a few months of turning 65. I do have aches and pains, which comes with the territory of aging, but my hair is still mostly red. Yes, I have a few streaks of white, mostly on the underside, but you can see I AM a redhead. And I refuse to color my hair. Can't get this shade from a bottle. Besides, it's taken me my whole life to finally appreciate the color of it. Right before I lose it, of course. I'm sure there's a lesson there …

Why can't they knit? Crochet or other things Elders would do? How about Bingo night? What about the Elder Day Center? Me thinks the dev team are all too young to appreciate that once you retire, you'd best have something to do if you don't wish to drop dead about a month or two later. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I play generational, so I've had several elders in my games. other than taking advantage of their not working to keep an eye on their grandchildren, I generally don't do anything with them that's all that different from when they were adults. The painters still paint, the writers still write, the musicians still play, the athletes still work out (even if they do get the dangerously tired moodlet - they rest then) the archeologists still explore the jungle (when I don't have something I need someone else in the family to be working on). The only reason I have them cut back on the cooking is so that the young adults and the teens can start to take over for when the elder has passed on.

Oh, and they're usually the ones to take the family pets to the vet, since they don't have to worry about being late for work or school.

I treat them as the same characters they were when they were younger. Because they are.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I take care of my elders just like I do any other life stage. They're still the same sims I love but just a little older.
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    I've never played an elder in this game either. If I do in the future, I'd just have them do the same things they do now as a young adult.

Why do simmers want elders to have unique activities? I don't think elders in real life have any unique actifities. They just no longer need to work if they did when they were younger.

I keep seeing requests for knitting and bingo for elders, but in real life, younger people knit and play bingo as well.
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    I'd also like to say that my elders usually keep their jobs unless they want to do something else. I've got one making robots, and another beekeeping and gardening and one going back to university. The writers and painters especially keep on working but perhaps they do it freelance. They make quite a bit of money as they are usually at a high skill level so are really contributing to the family income. They make the best food which keeps the foodies happy. I used to worry that my athletic sims would croak using the treadmill but now I don't care - yes, they get tired but it's part of their being older. Unless they are active bodybuilder sims who live a bit too long, I won't move them out of their homes. If they are really long-lived I move them out to make room for the younger sims. Some sims really look better with new hair colors but others are OK with what life gives them. They may get a body reshape if they get too saggy.
  • Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    I think it may depend on the player's own age. I imagine that youngins find it boring and meaningless to play elders. But just you wait ;)

I don't mind elderly Sims at all - some of them, I'm very fond of. But I don't want my played Sims to become elders themselves. Why would I, I play with aging off for a reason. Also, I don't play generational families or challenges. My Sims achieve a lot and it would make no sense for me to just let them grow old and die. Then I'd feel I had completely wasted my time.

I mean, I'm not a youngin. LOL Let me put it this way... .I worked at a computer store when Sims 2 was the new hot thing. And I wasn't needing to work with my parents permission. LOL
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    My Elder Sim is in a fight club
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    WoofyWolfzWoofyWolfz Posts: 10 New Member
    > @GalacticGal said:
    > The only gripe I truly have with Elders in this game is they jump from an Adult, who is vibrant to immediately bent over with a full head of gray hair! I'm within just a few months of turning 65. I do have aches and pains, which comes with the territory of aging, but my hair is still mostly red. Yes, I have a few streaks of white, mostly on the underside, but you can see I AM a redhead. And I refuse to color my hair. Can't get this shade from a bottle. Besides, it's taken me my whole life to finally appreciate the color of it. Right before I lose it, of course. I'm sure there's a lesson there …
    >
    > Why can't they knit? Crochet or other things Elders would do? How about Bingo night? What about the Elder Day Center? Me thinks the dev team are all too young to appreciate that once you retire, you'd best have something to do if you don't wish to drop dead about a month or two later. :open_mouth:

wow, I'd love knitting/bingo night! I'm young but I can still appreciate nice elder's activities ~ we have a toddler's stuff pack, so an elder's stuff pack would make lots of sense!
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited December 2019
    @GalacticGal I love your attitude about your hair and getting older <3

With some Sims in the adult stage, I like to give them the greyed brown or black hair (last two options on the basegame color list). That sort of indicates that they are getting closer to the transition into proper elderhood. But I totally get you - it was even worse in Sims 3 if you ask me. A buff male Sim turns into a withered beanstalk just like that...thank goodness it's gradual in real life :D

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    MrBroPowMrBroPow Posts: 6 New Member
    I never tend to play elders, because they just never seem to die in my game, which is plum to say but I don't want immortal grey haired, slow, grouchy people :lol:
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    MrBroPow wrote: »
    I never tend to play elders, because they just never seem to die in my game, which is plum to say but I don't want immortal grey haired, slow, grouchy people :lol:

They're only grouchy if you make them so. And all things considered, elder sims aren't notably slower than adult ones.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,671 Member
    Hm, I've never thought much about Elderly sims being boring or limited? Hey, they are the goal of every life! Many skills will give benefits in the higher levels, even new interactions. Higher job level also give benefits. Having grandchildren can not be said to be negative, and after retiring your sim can finally visit community lots in daytime. Is there still time to try a totally new career? Or finally find the time to grow those extra plant species in your garden. Or work on that collection you never found time to complete. While pondering about who shall inherit whatever you leave behind - kids sharing equally might be a good norm, but in my game only 50% must be shared that way - a sim can give the other half to a chosen heir. Or why not giving all of it to the organization that works for homeless cats - while the elderly sim is still around?

Nope, I never found elderly sims boring. Some knitting won't change that.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited December 2019
    I love my elder Sims as I love all of my Sims. My main household right now is two elders. I play with aging off and don't allow Sims to die. I created these two as elders.

The elder woman is retired. She takes an online class, polishes her piano skills, and gardens. The elder man still works at the laboratory. She loves to decorate the house for holidays. They recently got a ping-pong table for their house. They both enjoy bicycling around and woohooing with each other. :smiley::heart:

Sometimes people complain about The Sims being too easy. Why not play elders, then? There is a little more challenge because they need more sleep and more potty breaks. :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Marycool33Marycool33 Posts: 151 Member
    not gonna lie, i straight up ditch elders and fully focus on their kids or grandkids after they age. this post just made me become self-aware of how much i ignore that life-stage. maybe after the knitting pack (which i wasn't that excited for but i guess now i'll give it a shot) i'll play a little differently.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I like a full family of elders, adults and various children. My elders stay at home and look after the children, do the gardening and become great cooks. I'm toying with one going to university if that's allowed now. They are great at looking after the small pets that came with My First Pet stuff if living on their own. It keeps them busy!
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Speaking of my elders, today was a good day for them! He got promoted, and she got an A+ in her class. 😊
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    MrBroPowMrBroPow Posts: 6 New Member
    @DaWaterRat Sorry, I know that, the last part of my sentence was a joke (stereotype). I forget things don’t ‘translate’ properly online.