Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your Discover University Rating!

Comments

• Options
    DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    The empty campus and poor rotational play really put a damper on my enthusiasm for this pack.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    It's very glitchy & my sim can't join the Secret Society even though she did everything that was needed to join. Oh well.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Next to Seasons, it's the best expansion pack.
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I'll give it a straight 8. I find the so called spirit parties at the bar rather dull to be honest, but that's nitpicking. All in all it's a good pack in my opinion. :)
  • Options
    gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    It's a decent pack. So far, I've played with 10 different Sims and got them all to graduation (not at the same time, but yeah). However, some graduated with Bs or Cs because this pack is not friendly to rotational players. Like, after finishing a semester with one set of sims, I enrolled them again and switched to another set. When I got back to the original set of sims, they were all on probation. :/

But, aside from that, the fact that I played with 10 different sims, all in different organizations, and didn't get bored makes this pack a solid 7 for me. I haven't even dabbled into the Secret Society stuff yet, lol.
  • Options
    bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    Drakos wrote: »
    The empty campus and poor rotational play really put a damper on my enthusiasm for this pack.

This is one of the issues I was concerned about from beginning. I bought the pack but haven't played it yet. I love the Sims franchise, but do not hold high hopes for S4 like I do or did for S3.

Happy holidays everyone!
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I'm not sure yet, because there's a lot I haven't done with it.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited December 2019
    This pack should be a 9 for me.
    I am so happy to have University and there are some great features here, but there are several things that knocks it down to a 7.

-I am really disappointed that there are no extra trait slots to unlock like we usually get with Uni packs.
    -I was looking forward to having secret societies back, but I have no interest in this one. It basically makes your sim a slave to sprites.
    I will be using Get Together to create my own.
    -The food situation is really bad. My dorms are flooded with rotting food. I spend too much time cleaning up the dorm.
    -No real fraternity/sorority system and the assigning roommate by organization/social group feature does not seem to be working.
    -Roommates are moving out of the dorm. There were some I really liked and I wish they would stay.
    -It needs to be more friendly to rotational game play.
    -I was hoping that we would be able to make human looking servos. We have alternative looks for aliens and vampires. I was sure it would happen for Servos this time.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 400 Member
    edited December 2019
    Sadly, only 5/10.

I am enjoying parts of this pack, but the thing that bugs me the most and just ruins the overall experience is the short and nonadjustable term length, that just doesn't go well with my 4 week seasons. And I don't like that you can't rotate to another family during the term - you have to play the entire semester from start to finish unless you want a bad grade or to fail completely. And the campuses just feels way to empty, no life at all...

I do like the amount of majors to choose from and the ability to live off-campus. And the world is pretty.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited December 2019
    Now that I got to play it in-depth, I really like it. Juggling four classes, homework and projects/papers can be challenging. But throw in organizations, life outside of school and even a job? It's super challenging and I love that. I even enrolled some sims because it gives them more work. Plus the world is super pretty (if unreasonably small) and campus life is great.

I'd say the major downsides are the robotics stuff (the ingredient requirements are insanely high, and it takes too long to get them), the barebones organizations, the glitches, and the CAS/BB content is pretty same-y and dull. (But even then, we got a few gold nuggets in the CAS.) But overall, the bad is outweighed by the good.

Kinda wish I bought it on sale, but it's been a breath of fresh air for my game.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm giving it a 9. There are a few things that I'd tweak. I'd add postgrad degrees and the ability to keep enrolling in classes beyond 12 credits. II do think it is replayable and I like that I can focus on more studious sims. There are a lot of ways that you can tweak the experience. I also keep it at a 9 due to the slight awkwardness with synchronizing rotational play.

I actually like the campus events and I often have sims hang out in community spaces. I think the pub will need an overhaul because it is a little bland but I'll give it an update. I think the changing roommates are realistic. You can choose how much to engage with them.

I'll keep it as part of my game and I'll definitely send more sims.

I know people complain about the quad being empty but I think that depends. It would get busier at times. Actual spaces like the dorms, library, cafeteria and pub would get crowded. I mean, if my sim just wanted to quietly do homework on a bench or bike around, I didn't mind some quiet. Usually other sims would eventually show up.

I'm happy and will keep it as part of my game for some sims. At some point, I may send a bunch of them together and not fixate on perfect grades for most of them.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited December 2019
    I wasn't particularly excited for a Uni pack but I have to say I've enjoyed it. I like the CAS and build/buy. My sims really enjoy pingpong and the soccer ball. Disappointing that children can't use the bikes, that's really corner cutting and sloppy in my opinion. I'm not bothered about the classes being rabbit holes but I do wish that the graduation ceremony wasn't.

The world is far too small when you take into account needing to use lots for dorms and student housing.
    Dorm mates are a pain in the behind when you want to just get homework done and they barge into your room - even with the door supposedly locked. The restriction on cooking is asinine, if I want to risk a fire that should be my choice, though being able to use the cafeteria item thing helps negate the inconvenience.

Robotics is a pain too. I don't know if its just my game bugged but if I want to order more than one of an item I have to manually click the amount button up to the amount I want, it's never let me input the number. I got a mod to bulk buy. The frequency of getting zapped with the workstation seems a little high. I do love the party bot though and strongly recommend one for every household! I'm hoping for a mod to make servos look more human as androids would be fun.

The ICYA chest is the best thing ever. Now my legacy fam have all their collections stored individually in the basement.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I chose 8, I was gonna give it a 9 but I like even numbers 🤷‍♀️😂 There’s some buggy things and whatnot that forbids it from being a 10
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    Captain_CCaptain_C Posts: 180 Member
    University is pretty decent. Not quite a solid, but I like it.

Improvement please:
    I would like the pizza guy to actually turn up in the dorm penthouse accommodation when I hire a service for a party. It would be pretty cool to see Sims out on the sports centre field playing soccer, rather than a rabbit hole- but it's still quite cool. I was thinking they could add rollerblade students around campus, and even skateboard people. For me, I don't see many people apart from going to and from class to dorm all day. Maybe see a Cheer Squad for the university practicing, various groups of students around campus talking, hanging out, and doing certain things- AND you can join those groups/clubs with a few missions/tasks. I miss having a library, and maybe a small cafe. An adjustable system for how long School and University takes in options would be good also. Maybe add mischief abilities for pulling off the biggest pranks around campus, doing treasure hunts for certain items. Going on school trips or holidays for maybe a whole week or more. Maybe have students on a certain artsy campus recite poetry on the lawns. Outdoor painting classes, with mobile easels. Photography squad going around taking snaps, and maybe give someone the opportunity to become a model as a career. Literally, have it so you can meet the professors as sims, and maybe even come across secret circles/societies of knowledge and wisdom when you learn more than you should. :open_mouth: Hire me Maxis. <3
    Until next time!

Take care all!

- C

giphy.gif
  • Options
    SoulslieSoulslie Posts: 4 New Member
    CAS is one of the best things about this pack! The diversity range of hairs, and the modern aesthetic of clothes really caught my eye. The only problem with EA lately is that I feel as if they're rushing on these packs. If they took more time on their work, I'm sure their players would be much more pleased. The devs are very talented at what they do so I cannot just say that University sucks because it definitely does not. Hope they'll take their time on new releases!
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2019
    6,5 actually.

I think that...there's not a lot of things to do outside of classes and homework. The University "party scene" feels very small, almost non existent. If they included at least two extra gameplay objects related to leisure/parties (billiard tables for example), and the ability to throw an actual post graduation party in the dorm or house or whatever it would have been better. The small number of new unique social interactions also hurts this pack in my opinion, it feels like we've been stuck with the same social interactions since the BG sometimes.

I also feel like out of the three iterations, this pack is the most unbalanced in terms of gameplay. First, it's too easy to get scholarships. My sim ended up not having to pay for university at all, making the repoman a novelty. As a matter of fact, my sim was given money due to how many scholarships he had....I wish there was a limit of 1 scholarship per semester and you could choose between the ones awarded to you. Secondly, your sim has to spend a ridiculous amount of time in Uni to be able to graduate. Even if you condemn yourself to 4 classes per semester, which all demand your sim to do homework plus either an exam or a presentation or a term paper, you have to stay for three semesters. By the time your sim gets the degree he's an adult who's about to turn into an elder...I had to put the age lifespan into long otherwise my sim would have maybe 1 week of time as an adult. I think this works better when you have a teen about to turn into a YA, who applies early, but still....it is worth it though, as you go straight to level 7 if you graduate with a good grade.

But I do like how in depth they did certain features like bot building although it would have been nice if they gave us the customisation that we had with Plumbots. I think the bicycles are amazing and the organisations are way more in depth than what I thought which is great, albeit the tasks can get a bit repetitive, but that's expected at this point. My sim did not have the time to interact with the secret society doing 4 classes per semester so I'll have to check that out later. I also like how in depth they went with researching and studying in this pack, more than before, which is great. I also appretiate the difficulty of managing classes and studying and keeping my sim's needs on the green whilst being part of an organisation and a school "part-time career". The rewards seem pretty good to me as well, and I love that I can put my sim's graduation picture on the wall along with his diploma.

All in all it's not a bad pack, I'd say it's one of TS4's top 3 packs for me, along with Seasons and Get Famous.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    KissarahKissarah Posts: 46 Member
    The Good:
    -CAS is fantastic
    -Decorations are cute
    -World is pretty solid
    -Robotics is something I've been dying for
    -Authenticity achieved surprisingly well
    -Classes are (for the most part) smooth
    -New keg parties are hilarious
    -WE FINALLY HAVE FACIAL PIERCINGS

The Bad
    -Stupidly awkward to get multi sim households enrolled/living ON campus at the same time.
    -A mite too easy

The Ugly
    -One of their worst releases as far as bugs, if not the worst in my own experience.
  • Options
    emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Honestly they are many good things in DU, you can have fun, and just for this I did not choose a 5. But this are the issues with this ep:

1. I played the sims since sims 2: sims 2 had a good rotational play, sims 3 did not had any rotational play (epic fail!)... so far Sims 4 has the best rotational play. But sadly DU it is not good for Rotational Players! Actually it is a nightmare :(

2. DU has the worst premade building ever: Foxbury Commons. It is a huge, two stories, empty building at a 40x30 lot, it is useless for the gameplay. If you go there the University feels like a ghost town. I do not care about aesthetics, I build my own stuff and there are awesome builders at the gallery. But the first rule for sims building is: make it functional. The original is NOT functional. Replace it with a one story building and then you will have fun.

3. I pre-ordered DU, and it was a wrong choice because I stop playing due to game breaking errors until an emergency patch was released :| Simmers say that ROM is a buggy pack, lol, no way: DU is the winner! By now I will avoid the pre-ordering.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    It's fine I guess, it's a buggy mess and it suffers way too much for it. Honestly, I think much like RoM (as much as I love that pack) needed to be kept in the oven a little while longer. So they could truly flush out many of the bugs, classes, roommates and the robotics workbench to name a few.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    AmbyCakesAmbyCakes Posts: 32 Member
    I'm glad others find it entertaining but it's been boring to me. Maybe I'm missing something... because my Sim is just overwhelmed with studying and I wish you could interact in class/playing soccer somehow. Sort of like the Get To Work pack. I really dislike that you can't customize the dorms. :/
  • Options
    JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    edited December 2019
    I am comparing this to Sims 3 University because it had so much content and things to do. It just feels like there is not much in to this other than new careers and going to rabbit hole classes. This expansion sadly misses the fun stuff to do because studying takes too long and it focuses little too much on that...so that´s why I only gave it 6.

The good things in this EP are new careers and after graduation sim can start his or her job from higher level and there are so many careers combined with the degrees. I also love the optional skill classes sims can take. CAS has cute clothing and hairstyles. Piercings are nice too, but they should be added to all clothing not just everyday because formal, party and all others also needs to have piercings. Another thing I like is how smooth the game runs with all the roommates, there is no lag and the simple style makes the game run well.

I would say the best part of this EP is new careers and the way you can build sims education. There is so much to choose from for those who like to focus on that and skills building. People who like to develop their sims skills and careers to the best will surely benefit from putting their sims in the Uni. Turning off aging while sim is there can easily solve the problem with Uni taking too long. For me making skilled sims like that is most fun in my challenge styled saves like legacies where I play with one family at a time. Sims going to Uni from home is also huge plus.
    Post edited by Jadeleine on
  • Options
    JAYSIMMS2004JAYSIMMS2004 Posts: 31 Member
    I'll give it a 7. University is my favorite of the all packs. But I must say that I enjoyed it more in TS3 than than 4 or 2. Still learning Uni as I just purchased it but the grading system is way more strict than it was in previous sims games.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I just got it for a holiday gift. I am neutral on it. Give me some time to see if I like it or not. I feel like if I want a college student to play I have to choose a premade already in college. I wish we had options like online colleges, community colleges and such with less time and zero application time saying that your sim has been accepted right away as an option. I liked the college mod much better than I like the official release so far. I would like it better if my teen sim could apply to a college while still in High School that way she could go straight off after high school. Instead only young adult and older can apply via computer. I would have liked the phone option to apply to college and apply for scholarships. My sim has been waiting a week sim time to see if they have been accepted. I feel like my sim probably won't get accepted into college until they age up to adulthood or that I have to really extend their young adult lifespan for at least 14 days just to see if they get accepted into a college. Maybe I am just impatient.

I do like that we have bikes to travel with. I would like cars as vehicles later on as an option.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    jheyjuneicejheyjuneice Posts: 335 Member
    5 from me, not very impressed with this pack. It comes with some good items and careers but overall it's been very underwhelming. Also agree it's not great for rotational play.
    6Y6GB8R.png
  • Options
    ZevanoxZevanox Posts: 30 Member
    I was debating between 7 and 8. I really love the complexity and challenge they added for this pack but there were a few things I found disappointing, like how cheap it was to get in and there wasn't really any opportunities or party places to take way for my Sim to hang out at and live the party life while in university.

I do love the options for classes and the way you pick you terms and classes and having different schools and the likes. Overall, I really like this pack. The school cheer/rivalry is a really nice touch too. I like pumping up other sims in general lol