Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Outrageous - paying to create art on a digital sketchpad! Freelance Career

troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
Ok, so I totally get why it costs money to create a painting, you need to purchase supplies. But for the painting freelance career you use a digitial sketch pad. Once you have purchased the software to create digital art you don't have any other expense.

My sim joined the painting freelance career and has to make 3 icons. It pays §364 but my sim has to spend §150 to create the 3 icons (§50 per icon), so in reality it pays §214. Come'on EA -- let's be realistic. Writers don't spend money on ink and paper everytime they create a book on a computer, so why do painters have to pay per icon to create digital icons!

This needs to be fixed.
wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱

Comments

• Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    There's a mod over at MTS that makes all art free on digital sketchpads. :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    LauraRLauraR Posts: 60 Member
    [quote="troshalom;d-969898"]Writers don't spend money on ink and paper everytime they create a book on a computer, so why do painters have to pay per icon to create digital icons!

This needs to be fixed. [/quote]

As a writer I can absolutely confirm that yes, we actually do spend quite a lot on ink and paper, especially during edit phase. There's a certain kind of focus that only comes with the act of a physical pen on paper.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Painting without the career is more profitable and far less hassle than the freelance career is. Maybe I just don't enjoy freelance careers though. The amount of rejection for jobs in the digital artist career frustrates me.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    Also Adobe Creative Cloud subscription can get annoyingly expensive if you use more than one application & need the stock photo library. The plans aren't as flexible as they used to be. It's either 1 program, the photography plan or everything, which is annoying if you need just Photoshop & Ilustrator, which isn't in the photography plan.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    LauraR wrote: »
    troshalom wrote: »
    Writers don't spend money on ink and paper everytime they create a book on a computer, so why do painters have to pay per icon to create digital icons!

This needs to be fixed.

As a writer I can absolutely confirm that yes, we actually do spend quite a lot on ink and paper, especially during edit phase. There's a certain kind of focus that only comes with the act of a physical pen on paper.

@LauraR I'm a writer too, and I was discussing in game writing on the computer. In the Sims they don't write with pen and paper. 😜
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Also Adobe Creative Cloud subscription can get annoyingly expensive if you use more than one application & need the stock photo library. The plans aren't as flexible as they used to be. It's either 1 program, the photography plan or everything, which is annoying if you need just Photoshop & Ilustrator, which isn't in the photography plan.

Yeah @WaytoomanyUIDs true dat, that's my I am a perpetual license holder -- Still using PS CS5.5

But even with a subscription to Adobe CC you don't pay per art creation, you pay by the month or year.
  • Options
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Painting without the career is more profitable and far less hassle than the freelance career is. Maybe I just don't enjoy freelance careers though. The amount of rejection for jobs in the digital artist career frustrates me.

@Sharonia Imma have to agree with ya on that. I just wanted to play through all the careers at least once. I finally switched my Sim over to the actual writing career, it is more lucrative and they get to keep and sell the books they write.

I just wanted the sim to stay home with the toddler and not send to daycare or hire a nanny. Since I play with long life I was still able to get her to a top toddler tho with him going to work.
  • Options
    CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    Writers don't spend money on ink and paper everytime they create a book on a computer, so why do painters have to pay per icon to create digital icons!

This needs to be fixed.

For some people, not all.

I'm wired differently than that, and a blank sheet (or used) of MS Word is so freeing. I can't imagine EDITING on PAPER since high school (only 'cause we were a bit broke for a computer at the start, and I hadn't practiced typing). A night mare. My paper writing is all cross-out lines and arrows, haha.

Also, I close up pens immediately before I put them down (they don't die often but we have TONS, we keep picking them up free here and there, hahaha :blush: ). I do enjoy having a lot of notebooks, but those are for NOTES, lists, drawings, etc. (so many lists and reminders). I used to have many messy notebooks of poetry, etc., and they weren't as organized or well-preserved as my computer files. (That last part's important for my own collection.)

(I'm not a fiction writer, btw, people always seem to assume writer = author, which I find weird as there are many kinds.)

---

The other part was already responded to, but I'll add ... costs are small; probably electricity and eventually wanting to upgrade to a bigger drive? Certainly not something noticeable per document or session.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    They gotta pay to buy all those stock images for inspiration. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    @DeKay As always you have a meaningful explanation ready :D

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    DeKay As always you have a meaningful explanation ready :D

You know it. 😂👌
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    DeKay wrote: »
    They gotta pay to buy all those stock images for inspiration. XD

@DeKay didn't think of that 🙃, but my vendors always put in unpaid stock images until I approved them, then they purchased them. So the artist can get inspiration from a stock site, without paying for the images -- soooooo -- still don't see why they gotta pay 50 simoleans per icon.
  • Options
    MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    May be they have to pay to protect the copyright.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member

This needs to be fixed.

Yes, I concur. I, too, have gone through much paper and multiple laser ink cartridges. And I print on Low-ink! I'm in the final (I hope) editing phase of my latest novel. Go, me! LOL

And hearing the piece has an effect, too. Reading from a page is far different than reading from a screen. You catch more in both the hearing and the reading from paper.

But, I must say I don't understand why if you have an art program, you should have to pay for each piece of art created. We're speaking apples to oranges here.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Congrats @GalacticGal on getting the book out of your head on the the computer/paper -- most of my book is still in my head the whole trilogy. I do agree, I personally like to edit on paper too, I catch things I miss on screen or I'm just old skool like that,