March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Happy Holidays Gift Exchange 2019 - Gifting is Done!

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited December 2019
    @Rflong7 – It’s another day. So, here is another gift. Are you getting tired of these yet?
    For the next build, I wanted to recreate a truly awesome home by none other than the great Frank Lloyd Wright. He built a home at Bear Run, PA that incorporated the falls into the build. The inspiration is an awesome one:
    2002.jpg
    Looking around at all the worlds and all the lots that EA offers, I decided the only place for me to build was at the fishing lot in Sunset Valley with the falls. This time, I changed a commercial lot to a residential lot and deleted the fish spawners. (So, you won’t have to worry about multiple spawners if you choose to replace your lot with this one. Of course, if you place it somewhere else, you’ll want to add spawners!) You may notice I did a mirror image build where I reversed the floor plan.

This is gift#6:
    roof_up_original.jpg
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9351681
    While the building is quite large, the family intended this only as a summer house for entertaining. So, it only has three bedrooms, but it includes two offices, so there is some wiggle room if more bedrooms are desired. As with all gifts, it was play tested, but not upgraded. It includes the plants that originally were on the lot. (I added water sprinklers and fencing.)

One challenge during play testing was sims wanting to wash the dinner dishes in the bathroom sink. I didn't think of a solution to that until now. I recommend adding a "wet bar" so there is a sink close to the table. You could add a sink where the plant sits next to the bar or delete the china cabinet and put in some counters with a sink there.

I really loved recreating this structure in the sims and am happy to watch the falls through the windows or from the balconies. It probably won't have the same vibe if not placed in Sunset Valley near those falls, but you might find a great spot for it somewhere else. It's main drawback is the size of the lot, but maybe you'll find a spot in a legacy lot somewhere.
    Post edited by ciane on
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @ciane Your gift has been checked and is CC free. :)

Beautiful. Stunning architecture. The views from the rooms overlooking the falls must be breathtaking. Your adaptation of the original is intriguing and appealing even though I don't consider myself a lover of modern architecture. Your choice to use stone on floors, walls and fireplaces creates uniformity and has one feeling like the interior was carved out of rock somehow. Looking forward to seeing Rflong's reaction!
  • SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    @ciane Another one! How do you do it? Apart from innate genius and lots of practice, of course... It's amazing, again - I think I need to do a superlative hunt and stock up on a few more for your builds <3

@ADWilson National Cookie Day? Why don't we get that? Mind you, it would have to be National Biscuit Day, which doesn't sound quite the same...
    SamelaRita wrote: »
    @ADWilson National Cookie Day? Why don't we get that? Mind you, it would have to be National Biscuit Day, which doesn't sound quite the same...

After having watched Great British Baking Show, I am very intrigued by experiencing biscuits in all it's glory, the next time we are over there. So many choices, flavors, textures that ours don't seem to have!
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    @ciane what a lovely take on falling water.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    I took the opportunity to play @Hidehi's home tin home lot with the Pole family.
    http://cianesims.home.blog/story/home-tin-home
    @ciane How nice to see another variation of this sweet family! I might have to give it a go at some point too. :wink:
  • SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    @ciane I like your take on it too! Love reading the different ways people tell stories from the same starting point. I'm working on Chapter 3, in between getting Christmas presents wrapped and posted.
    @SamelaRita - Yay! I didn't think you'd mind if I played with them too.
    @ADWilson - You know I love stories, so I'd love to see your perspective as well.
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited December 2019
    JessaBeans Gift #6 for @ 60smusicluvr

This is the last of these mini shoppes.
    3493fee8b7e51b54b4e9df658ebca290c95b7214.jpg
    ce19b1b6554ab7bcab13fce635fa6e8d4d48679d.jpg

Pictured in Hidehi's Christmas Village.

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9351698

More pictures here: https://jessabeansims.tumblr.com/post/189493749689/chocolaterie

Chocolaterie 20x20 (hangout)

A chocolate shoppe themed cafe. Downstairs is main shop area and kitchen, upstairs is additional dining, restroom and party room.

eece7438dd94394b58a70fe8d2eb39bd4d83e92e.jpg

fc200842dc99d0b4c0a1dd30ce558d58033448f2.jpg

2ec0920e6bd6dda829daa38f54328cb0ac9c0ccf.jpg

9a6a9478acbe5a4c9ba3448a43b4103146786a0e.jpg

Window Shopping
    da75c1dcd6caef0cd28f598e151ed0aaf59d06be.jpg

f00df597a394e95fbbe5899081b8fa4321826843.jpg

I only used KPST's candy dishes on this one, it should look about the same without it.
    Post edited by Jessabeans on
    @Jessabeans Your gift has been checked and is CC free. :)

Will write compliment when I return from Mom Taxi duties.
    @Jessabeans
    Oooooh ... !!! What a sweet surprise as the ending for your series of holiday themed minis. As beautiful and tastefully decorated as the others. There are chocolate fountains (working and decor) ... how did I not know there are decor ones?! The pastry cases are filled with all kinds of yummy desserts that will be perfect for tea time. Or any time. I'm not picky. LOL
    edited December 2019
    Updated to here.
    Buddies, please check below and let me know if you are incorrectly listed. Thanks!

Buddies with more to gift (from what I recall posts indicated):
    @60smusicluvr
    @ciane
    @Kesminlix
    "You crazy kids!" :D

Buddies who are done gifting (from what I recall posts indicated):
    @GraceyManor
    @Hidehi
    @Jessabeans
    @LMC6255
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn
    @Puddinroy
    @Rflong7
    @SamelaRita
    @suzses
    "Thank you very much for making this a SIMtastic holiday gift exchange! I do hope you'll consider returning for the next one (summer perhaps)." <3
    Post edited by ADWilson on
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    @Rflong7 – It’s another day. So, here is another gift. Are you getting tired of these yet?
    For the next build, I wanted to recreate a truly awesome home by none other than the great Frank Lloyd Wright. He built a home at Bear Run, PA that incorporated the falls into the build. The inspiration is an awesome one:
    2002.jpg
    Looking around at all the worlds and all the lots that EA offers, I decided the only place for me to build was at the fishing lot in Sunset Valley with the falls. This time, I changed a commercial lot to a residential lot and deleted the fish spawners. (So, you won’t have to worry about multiple spawners if you choose to replace your lot with this one. Of course, if you place it somewhere else, you’ll want to add spawners!) You may notice I did a mirror image build where I reversed the floor plan.

This is gift#6:
    roof_up_original.jpg
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9351681
    While the building is quite large, the family intended this only as a summer house for entertaining. So, it only has three bedrooms, but it includes two offices, so there is some wiggle room if more bedrooms are desired. As with all gifts, it was play tested, but not upgraded. It includes the plants that originally were on the lot. (I added water sprinklers and fencing.)

One challenge during play testing was sims wanting to wash the dinner dishes in the bathroom sink. I didn't think of a solution to that until now. I recommend adding a "wet bar" so there is a sink close to the table. You could add a sink where the plant sits next to the bar or delete the china cabinet and put in some counters with a sink there.

I really loved recreating this structure in the sims and am happy to watch the falls through the windows or from the balconies. It probably won't have the same vibe if not placed in Sunset Valley near those falls, but you might find a great spot for it somewhere else. It's main drawback is the size of the lot, but maybe you'll find a spot in a legacy lot somewhere.

Woot~The site is back and I have a present! :scream:

I love the placement and your ideas are Fabulous! That you for thinking about the spawners and bushes. I do forget about them sometime. The view will be so great. I'm going to fire up my game after I make sure I have the Store stuff. I really should install all the big packs. :lol:
    :heart::cookie::mrgreen:
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    @ciane : Oh wow, Stony Falls is amazing! Do you ever make anything that is NOT amazing? I love that inspiration picture, but boy, would that be intimidating to me! What a great home to have, with that enormous lake behind it!

Your take on the Pole family was quite amusing. I had to laugh at some of the father Sim's comments. :)

@jessabeans : *falls over* How do you do it? This is yet another beautiful Christmas build. I can't believe how many you did, and I love all of them! It's gorgeous, and I love all the wonderful things that Sims can do (eat) in it. :)
    @Jessabeans - Another awesome lot! You have truly spoiled ALL of us as I'm sure there are many adding all of these, or as many as they can fit, into their worlds and Christmas Village! I love the symmetry again and way you did the outside planters. I always love those Dragon Valley roof pieces, but the way your lots blend so well with them is awe inspiring! Most people love chocolate, so you really can't wrong there! You've created quite the decadent place to visit!

Aw, thank you all for your awesome comments. Recreating a version of Falling Water at Stoney Falls was probably my most challenging and most rewarding build. I love Frank Lloyd Wright and find it interesting that something he built so long ago is considered modern. He was that far ahead of his peers!
    Heading off for a bit: dinner and entertainment :smiley:
    Be back later.
    Hi! @ciane :mrgreen:

I put a few roommates in this Beautiful house to check it out. :)
    o9br5H3.jpg
    I can't find the windows I'm missing. Sorry it doesn't look right. I have a few more things missing (I do own most of the Store!)
    SpC17OY.jpg

Indrina decided to play chess on the balcony
    fGx1hLp.jpg

Which is off this well placed office!
    Ji9PR60.jpg

My favorite room, where I can watch the waterfall on another balcony, is this bedroom
    bqBbuMh.jpg

I can tell I'm missing way but I'll find it!
    4gnIftY.jpg

ChangChang is enjoying the living room. Got to play her games. XD
    hmTnwpq.jpg

Bindi walked to the garden so I made her harvest =D
    jTpoaMZ.jpg

Nice bedroom. I love all the balconies!
    uyKTWQd.jpg

o0oPEnl.jpg
    other side

Using the fountain is such a wonderful idea.
    Ph1B2s2.jpg

Thank you so much for this house~ It's so well laid out and so nicely furnished with so many adorable balconies! :heart::mrgreen::cookie:
  • 60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    EEK! I'm running behind! :scream:

@Hidehi, don't feel bad! I love the pretty looks of 'The Hollow' AND 'Home-Tin-Home'. I could imagine my steampunk sim, pictured on the left in my avatar living in either one of these places! I wonder if Forrest Grump and her would be a pair? :smirk:@SamelaRita, nice to see you enjoying the sims and lots so far. I've had a small peek at both in game and love them so. :heart_eyes: I see @ciane has also started playing here! Well done, Hidehi. :smiley:

@jessabeans, the main thing is that you enjoy what you create. :) Star Market is another cute holiday themed lot and it looks especially beautiful in the winter shot with all the beautiful icicles. :heart_eyes: I love all the bakery, mill and greenhouse items throughout and the way the store front windows look. The red is really pretty.

Ooh! Count Chocolaterie in for my favorite of the minis. :smiley: I had no idea there were chocolate gnomes! :scream:

I actually had other plans in mind for who would inhabit Cream Brulee Strip and the story, but that would've been a lot of work. :lol: Rosalinda, Latoya, and Samuel just happen to fit right in, as @ciane has shown. :blush:

@Mmdrgntobldrgn, I loved reading the backstory of Kesses Family Farm and also caught up on the first story I had trouble getting to the first time. I think it's cool that you made a starting point with Olive and Lars and then expanded their story through many years. I guess it's our job to make that happen. Pretty neat. By the way, I think you did a great job on the build. The farm is really cute.

@suzses, although I didn't comment, I read through all the struggles of this Custard check for Chalet on Azure Lake (regular and holiday) and I'm so sorry about it! How annoying! I'm not scared of the original version. :kiss: The pictures you framed are so pretty and let's not forget the house! That's super duper pretty, too. :wink: I will be downloading, but for now I gave you a rec.
    ciane wrote: »
    @60smusicluvr - I love it! I love the brick and concrete and windows and turret section, as well as the way you made the walk, the soft crème and natural wood, the way you alternated the floor tile, and the furnishings you chose. The views out the window are spectacular, so I’ll be placing this in Sunlit Tides with the others. As Mia said, this home has a very calm and relaxing feel to it that just fits right in to the island world.
    Thank you so, so much. If my builds took you out of your comfort zone at all, it definitely doesn’t show. You have mastered the look! You are awesome at these. I shall treasure and play with them a lot.

I thought you might like the neutrals for this build. :sunglasses: Sunlit Tides makes a beautiful backdrop that's for sure. I've never played a save there, however. It seems the world has some weird routing issues for sims, which I find super annoying.
    Aw. Thanks, @Ciane. I found building for you challenging, but really fun. I used things I wouldn't normally use and I watched several Youtube videos of simmers making modern lots. Most of them are TOO big, in my opinion, but helped me brainstorm ideas. I can definitely see myself trying more in the future. Who knows? Maybe it will be for my next build.

Stoney Falls looks great. While I was like, 'gotta use CFE!', I'm impressed how modern you make your builds with very limited use of CFE or none at all!

@Adwilson, that is correct! I plan to share AT LEAST one more sim.
    edited December 2019
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn Kesses Family Farm is a gorgeous. I like the wrap around porch and ample garden. The colors are great and the decor is so homey. The history of the home is so heartwarming. It was wonderful to hear about the house growing as the family grew. I hope that another loving family is able to take care of it for a long time to come.

@suzses Chalet on Azure Lake is so beautiful, you've really outdone yourself this exchange. I am thankful that LMC has offered to share, you've but perfect lots for my favorite EA worlds. I was very happy to take her up on it and find them a home in my game. Back to the Chalet, I love the wrap around deck. It's wonderful how you took advantage of it to add in parking underneath. I really appreciate that the landscape and exterior suits the world it's intended for. The interior is perfect. I may steal your shower/sauna combination to break away from always using the outdoor shower along with it. The children's rooms are so charming and the hanging fireplace is such a great statement. I'm keeping the version with the photos, but it was good that you provided an alternative for people who are uncomfortable with custard anomalies. It was very clever including both a decorated for the holidays version and a normal version. I'm happy to have another home for the often neglected bourgeoisie/resort side of Hidden Springs.

@60smusicluvr The Blue Dolphin is another treasure that shows how well you know Ciane's style. I love the beach decor, I never noticed that wall treatment you used in the living room exists before but it works really well there. I love how you've built around the views, and the landscaping it wonderful. You are so good at landscaping.

Sorry to stop with only your Stoney Falls left Ciane, but I would really like to explore it in game before commenting. I'm going to load it up now.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments on my gifts, I have read and appreciate them all I just got really behind on the thread and haven't been able to respond directly.

@jessabeans, the main thing is that you enjoy what you create. :) Star Market is another cute holiday themed lot and it looks especially beautiful in the winter shot with all the beautiful icicles. :heart_eyes: I love all the bakery, mill and greenhouse items throughout and the way the store front windows look. The red is really pretty.

Ooh! Count Chocolaterie in for my favorite of the minis. :smiley: I had no idea there were chocolate gnomes! :scream:

Thank you for being understanding, I really did start out with things that were more in your style but it just kept morphing into Holiday builds. I am happy I was able to get the spanish home finished so there was at least something specific to your buddy letter. Thanks for being an awesome buddy, it's been a treat!

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    The forums are fixed -dances excitedly- I hated edge LOL
  • 60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    edited December 2019
    @Jessabeans, you made SO MANY things! How? :o

And I love landscaping. <3

@GraceyManor, rofl. You just reminded me I'm using chrome.
    @Rflong7 - I'm sorry I have caused you such angst by using so much store content. I did try to avoid things that were bonus items that everyone might not have; but other than that, I just went with whatever appealed. Oops! But, it means that everyone gets an individualized version, right? I should have thought that as a world builder you'd avoid the store content, making the world available to more people. I do recommend you keep spare/backup store content dcCache, installed worlds, and library folders. They don't take up so much room and save you having to install content again. Keep the folders handy in the EA folder and just rename them as you swap them in and out.

@60smusicluvr - I like to use friezes, which can't go against walls, so I substitute fences at times. I like CFE for making levels mostly in the basement, but high enough to have windows - so mostly foundation height above the ground - or walk-out basements. And, of course, for making curves like bridges or connecting foundation to wall for garages. But I rarely use CFE for stairs as you did.
    edited December 2019
    @ciane wrote: »
    @Rflong7 - I'm sorry I have caused you such angst by using so much store content. I did try to avoid things that were bonus items that everyone might not have; but other than that, I just went with whatever appealed. Oops! But, it means that everyone gets an individualized version, right? I should have thought that as a world builder you'd avoid the store content, making the world available to more people. I do recommend you keep spare/backup store content dcCache, installed worlds, and library folders. They don't take up so much room and save you having to install content again. Keep the folders handy in the EA folder and just rename them as you swap them in and out.

Oh, no - I thought I could just get it all that was listed on the downloads. I should have just installed the big compilations days ago. It's not your fault at all. I told you I have everything and I do. :mrgreen:

I actually have several game folder saves with different installs and one with "Everything." As I said, I thought it would be easier. :)
    Post edited by Rflong7 on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top