Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Strangerville or Realm of Magic?

Hey there! Trying to put together my bundle with Discover University. I do not have Strangerville, Vampires or Realm of Magic. Not interested in Vampires. Which game pack do you prefer (Strangerville or RoM) and why? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ultra_swiftie13ultra_swiftie13 Posts: 1 New Member
    Well I have to say Vampires is my favourite game pack but if you're not interested then I'd suggest RoM. I don't really have a good reason exept that I just love it! XD
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Realm of Magic! It was a day one buy for me and I never looked back. Like who can say no to magic? I have Strangerville, but the story doesnt interest me in the least bit and I only got it because it was almost 50% off and I was bored.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Realm of Magic!
  • Coley666Coley666 Posts: 119 Member
    I prefer Realm of Magic is general but I do like quite a lot of the build mode objects you get with strangerville
    Sims Builder - Coley666
    jWIA95z.png
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Strangerville basically has a storyline you work through. The first time it is ok, but gets rather tiresome after that. If you enjoy the Science career and want to add to it, I would go with Strangerville. There are no occult creatures added with this pack, just infected sims and only in Strangerville. Strangerville is a desert town with a 1950s American feel to it.

With ROM it does add spell casters, but in the relationship panel, it won't say if they are this occult. The downside several complain about is once you add this pack to your game, it will turn random sims into spell casters. But they won't do any magical things outside of the hidden magical world. Now I'm not saying anything negative about Spellcasters because as a player I love the occult creatures. I just want to make you aware of the downside that several have complained about. The main town that comes with this pack is set in a forest setting, and also has the magical realm included, that has a portal to enter it, unless you are playing a spellcaster.

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Strangerville goes really well with Get to Work.
    Realm of Magic goes with Vampires & Spooky.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    My two favorite game packs oh no! Personally, I'd pair University with Magic personally because to me they compliment each other for stories I can think of. I'm biased right now though because I'm making magical students in my game.
    Strangerville ... I can see having Uni students living there but I'd be torn on what to play with and when if I got both packs together. I do agree though if you like scientists and those story lines... Uni/Get to Work and Strangerville could make for some good situations and stories.
    egTcBMc.png
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Realm of Magic is definitely better than Strangerville in my opinion!
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Depends on if you are a big occult fan. If so realm of magic. Strangerville is great for being quirky and if you don’t like the story you only have to play it once in a game save and have the rest of the world post story to live in. Personally I love strangerville it’s one of my favourite game packs and this was a pack I really hesitated at buying. I love the world, cas and bb stuff but it is a marmite pack of you either love it or hate it.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    netney52 wrote: »
    Depends on if you are a big occult fan. If so realm of magic. Strangerville is great for being quirky and if you don’t like the story you only have to play it once in a game save and have the rest of the world post story to live in. Personally I love strangerville it’s one of my favourite game packs and this was a pack I really hesitated at buying. I love the world, cas and bb stuff but it is a marmite pack of you either love it or hate it.

Love your phrase "a marmite pack"!
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I really liked Strangerville. I got it on a whim without reading about it at all at first due to having taken a long break and I unexpectedly enjoyed it.

I still use the world and characters but you must solve the mystery in each save if you want to cure the local sims. There is a very elegant nicer neighborhood with some beautiful settings. I think the strange plants are kind of ugly but I can ignore them having solved the mystery.

The Cas/BB (objects, clothes and aesthetic) are interesting, I think. It's an "old west" town that is past its prime in a desert somewhat like Arizona, New Mexico or even parts of Australia. Someone could use the setting to play with their own "Breaking Bad" or similar TV show setting.

Meh, I just use the setting as a small town that is past its prime with fewer opportunities. My sims there are mostly poorer and simpler than others in my rotation. They are kind of a contrast to others, but they are also happy. They find happiness in the little things. I also use a lot of backyard stuff with them like sprinklers, kiddie pools and lemonade.

Eventually there will be a lot of drama with the Roswells. I kind of started it but haven't played it out. The setting also includes the military career and so I'll generally base any military sims there if possible. It would be nice to have a few more lots, especially in the downtown.

I recently got ROM but I'm more of a realism player, so in my main save, I'll play with it as ... a realistic village. Yes, I think that's possible. I'll be willing to explore the spellcasters at some point in a different save.

If you lean more towards supernatural play, definitely get ROM. If you like sci-fi or quirky realism then Strangerville can be surprisingly interesting.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    netney52 wrote: »

Love your phrase "a marmite pack"!

Thanks I thought it was a well used phrase. I’ve just discovered it’s used mainly in the uk. It is the only way I can describe the pack it does seem to polarise opinions more then a lot of the other packs.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited November 2019
    What did you end up buying? Rom is my least favorite pack of all. Strangerville was fun but some don't like the linear story. And many love rom so it's hard to say. But it wasn't my cup of tea. And far from my idea of "witches" vampires are much better in my opinion.

Oh just saw you're not interested in vampires. In that case maybe you will like ROM.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I liked Strangeville I didn't at first but then I liked the World it was different and the planet thing was kinda funny so I bought it. RM is so so I just bought it on sale not that interesting but then I am not into Magic that much. In fact I like to play Vampires better bought it for the World and the Canopy Bed.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    Realm of Magic as it doesn't have an assignment similar to oldfashioned adventure games, but have a world similar to Strangeville.
  • secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    Depends on how you play. If you are a family type player then perhaps RoM. If you are more single player then maybe Strangerville. I got Strangerville during the current sale and like it.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    StrangerVille is the only pack I paid full price for, purchased immediately and thoroughly enjoy it. I took my time playing it. If you get it, I recommend playing it with a sim in the military and then playing it with a sim that is infected, or you can use the pre-made Sim that is in the military and infected.

Don't rush through solving it. When I first played I had a Sim with a farm on the plateau and it did really well before I solved the mystery. The weather was great for growing it. I did a rags to riches theme and he went from $500 to a few hundred thousand simoleans really quickly with the farm before I had him join the military and solve the mystery.

I actually had a save where I intentionally left the weather strange and infected Sims in other towns because I find it hilarious to watch that midnight full on run.

You will have to redo the bar and library and a few other houses as they are just plain hideous. But keep a bar and a library because they are germane to the story. I have two lots, Slip 45 Cafe (it is a working restaurant, I replaced the trailer lot, but it looks like a trailer) and StrangerVille Motel (this motel another sim created and I remodeled the first floor of it and made it a lounge with a spa but it looks like it is a working motel) that fits perfectly where the trailer park is and that adjacent lot.

So, I really like the town, it is pretty and it is one of the largest in terms of the number of lots you can build on or replace existing lots. Also, it adds the military career and you can plant bugs on all types of sims and use it outside of the mystery. So, yeah I love this GP.

I don't have ROM, but the world looks interesting if that is your thing
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Strangervills has the best world we got in any game pack imo but if you are into occults ROM might be a better choice.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited December 2019
    I'm sure you've already chosen but If not I'd chime in that Strangerville is better. It has that great old town with a one horse town sort of feel to it. Also, RoM is so focused on trying to be (In my opinion) a cross between The Magicians and Harry Potter that it forgets to be a magic expansion.

That said, RoM has a great progression system for your witch *sigh* caster and a lovely town. I just found the theme so irksomely copy pasted from television media that it was very disappointing.

Edited because: RoM is a great pack and probably a lot of fun for people and my calling it copy paste was inappropriate. Just because it wasn't anywhere near what I would have wanted doesn't make it bad and I'm glad so many people love it.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    Strangerville with its apocalyptic setting is the most unique and inspired pack of TS4 and clearly better than ROM.