Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Never-ending string of roommates

when i move into a lot tagged as an apartment, roommates automatically show up. I dismiss them and the next day more show up. I tried to find a roommates option on the phone and looked under realestate and travel but didn't see the option for roommates. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    edited December 2019
    There are 2 types of apartments one that came with Late Night which is actually a residence the other that came with University which is not really an apartment but a dorm. Sounds like you moved into the Uni type and I don't think there is a way to shut it off but I'm not too sure on that.

Maybe @igazor knows of a way to turn it off or knows someone who does.
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2019
    Yes, that is what the (Uni) Apartment lot type does. It switches on the town's roommate service and up to 7 roommates will be assigned. There is no way to switch it off for that lot type. While this may not be what the player wants or thinks of when they think of apartments, from what is being described it is working as designed.

To change the lot type to regular or player ownable residential, you would first have to evict your sim or move out as this cannot be done while the lot is being lived on. Then in Edit Town change the lot type first to one of the community ones (like No Visitors Allowed), then to regular residential so that the new designation will stick, then move back in.

If what you are trying to do is establish a lot where more than one truly resident household lives there independently of each other in their own designated living spaces (which is what most of us think of as apartments in real life), that requires some mod usage. The game itself does not support that concept. We can get close with the LN type of apartments (lot type still regular residential), but with those there is still only one real usable residence and homeless NPCs will appear to live in the other units instead of going off the map to hibernate when they are off duty to give the appearance of a busy apartment building. Those are usually highrises, but don't have to be, and require the use of NPC-only doors, private/public room markers, and a call box in the lobby.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net