Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My biggest disappointment with knitting winning...

13...Next

Comments

• superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    We are all arguing before we even get to second survey. I wonder what we'll be like after the last! :D>:)

Probably a bloodbath :(

I've been hoping for more crafty things for a while but there is so much bad feeling here that I almost wish something else had won just because the reactions are going to make it a poisoned chalice for those of us who do want knitting specifically, and more crafting in general. I think the situation has been handled a little better than last time, since we all knew what the possible features were whereas Laundry Day was presented as one possibility and turned into something entirely different due to the way the votes were handled.

I wish that there weren't so many assumptions that the same people voting for knitting/crafts are the same people who voted for laundry, because I 100% did not vote for laundry. I don't even have the laundry pack yet - I only decided a few months ago that I will get it next time it's 50% off on Origin.

Don't feel bad! Knitting wasn't my first choice, but it was in regards to arts and crafts. I think, overall, voting was handled better this time around. People are upset, but knitting is way better than laundry and I'm hoping it can be made more exciting.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    The reason I ranked knitting as my first choice in arts and crafts was because it said we could make clothes and I hope that remains true!

It was the same for me. I loved giving my sims the custom outfits from the Sims 2 sewing machine once they had reached the top skill (badge) level.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    I'm happy enough with it. It's unique. I probably would have been happy with anything that wasn't yet another treadmill!
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    Also, here's an interesting article on how spies would use knitting to send code, often relying on the stereotype of the old woman knitting... but the only picture is of WW1 soldiers knitting.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-wartime-spies-who-used-knitting-as-an-espionage-tool?utm_source=pocket-newtab

That is really cool.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    ah shall we call this the great knitting wars

watch out with those needles ppl they are pointy
    โญ๏ธ AHQ Champion ๐Ÿฆ‡ Vlad Advocate ๐Ÿ‰ Team Dragons
    ๐Ÿก Gallery ๐Ÿ“– Stories ๐ŸŒ World Project ๐Ÿฅ” MOD/CC Free
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    ah shall we call this the great knitting wars

watch out with those needles ppl they are pointy

Well, they are banned to bring along on flights at various airports :joy:

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I do think it is more interesting than laundry. I said this elsewhere but I'd like to see a bit more of the arts and crafts included in the theme and content such as the pottery and glass. There is definitely room for more hobbies for various households to do.

As for the elders, I can understand about the stereotype. I think people just wanted more for them to do at all and they might otherwise be ignored. Knitting is really for all ages and for different parts of the world but it is also a cold weather centered pack.

I don't think Sulani sims will be knitting but that's totally fine. I rotate so I definitely have households that would use it.

There should be items you can make for all ages from baby blankets and toddler clothes to knitwear and cold weather blankets for adults. Of course, there could and should be stuff for elders too.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I know its an stereotype, but its the perfect pack for them to add elders stuff like clothing and hairstyles. When we say that its good cuz our elders will have somethign to do it doesnt mean we want them to stop there, or that all of our elders and only they are goign to use this feature. I want kids to be able to knit too.
  • L33tP33tNWL33tP33tNW Posts: 398 Member
    I say those of us who want knitting but don't want stereotypical Elders band together with the Happy Haunts crowd and push for Goth Knitting as the aesthetic theme. :smiley:

Anyone with me?

I know i'm a little late but I am!
    ID: L33tP33tNW
    she/her
    AKA Doggers123

pJYI4la.png
  • annalephantannalephant Posts: 98 Member
    i shared this in the announcement thread but i will share it here too because you are feeling the same way as me:

First off, i cant help but thinking that a LOT of people misunderstood the voting in this round. So many of you are talking about Happy Haunts as a theme like you were going to get ALL of the game play suggestions if happy haunts had been chosen. YOU WERE NEVER GOING TO GET EVERYTHING. One thing. one new aspect of game play, per theme.

Now clearly, Happy haunts has REALLY caught people's imagination, and EA arnt stupid, they are going to have seen the opportunity here to develop it as a potential game pack, where all or almost all of the suggested game play features and some really cool CAS and B/B objects could be drawn together to comprise a really fleshed out pack that would be really fun for supernatural players.

But you have to understand that supernatural game play is not everyone's cup of tea. And i think that is why at the end of the day Arts & Crafts and Knitting won. If i am limited to just one new game play feature that is going to expand my game play as much as possible i would, and did choose knitting and this is for many many reasons.

1) im going to put my hands up now and admit, I AM A KNITTER!!! all of you who are moaning about it being boring and something only old people do are so very very wrong. Knitting is a great fun craft that can make really fun or stylish MODERN clothing and accessories. It is not something that only grannies and yummy mummies do, there are so many young people out there in this world, both women and men, who are knitting and are knitting from a young age too. I started knitting in my early 20's and yes some of my friends thought it was a bit weird back then but now im in my 30's all my friends are knitting too or at the very least wishing they could knit. I like knitting socks, thats just my thing, but there are so many things beyond sweaters, scarves, hats and mittens that you can knit. So please, put your assumptions to one side and approach this with an open mind. If you care to, take a trip to www.ravelry.com and see what projects people have made, what latest patterns are trending and you might just be a little bit shocked just what the knitting community is up to, compared to what you have pictured in your head.

2) If i am limited to just the one new aspect of game play, i think knitting has the best potential to bring benefit to the most areas of game play. we are short on hobbies for our sims, particularly things for elder sims to do. and in creating garments with our knitting we are able to hit areas of the game that are short on CAS- babies?!?! toddlers & kids and even perhaps some specific elder outfits. But i think its important to have new clothing options for teens, young adults and adults too because...

3) KNITTING IS A GREAT APOCOLYPSE SKILL. For anyone who loves playing off the grid, rags to riches, end of the world type scenarios, being able to create clothes for your family to wear, to have another item that can be sold on a stall or worked as a freelance job or stocked in a retail lot, is really useful game play. This is not at all about sitting watching your sim knit... ofcourse that is boring in the same way watching time pass by whilst your sim jumps in to a rabbit hole to go work as the girm reaper.... you need to think out of the box a little and see just how much extra game play can come from having a new skill that creates sellable items. Just take the moschino stuff pack as an example- people wrote it off at first because they assumed it was just a fashion stuff pack and actually, the CAS items were really quite limited! But thats because actually the photography skill and freelance career was the main focus of the pack and it came with so much scope in terms of game play elements, not only the new freelance career but also for adding to the game for your sims who wanted to do a bit of photography as a hobby on the side.

3) There are so many way's we could style this pack, but it really does give us an opportunity to flesh out CAS items for kids and elders. There have been some fantastic CAS items in recent packs for our young adults, teens and adults, really on trend and high qualify rendering etc. But the same cant be said for our kids and our elders. we have an opportunity here to flesh it out.

4) Build buy items.... again this could go one of several ways- are we thinking end of the world apocolypse theme, arty crafty bohemian look, aged hippies or granny chic? there are so many ways this theme could be developed and i honestly wouldnt mind any of them. I think going granny is maybe a bit obvious, but if that's what people want in their games then it is what they want! Are we going to get some build buy items that represent other crafts even if they dont work as functional items? (spinning wheels, knitting baskets etc)

6) Are we going to be limited to knitting alone or do we think we can lobby for the top 2 options and bring pottery in to this as well. Pottery, just like knitting is another fantastic end of the world skill that can be sold. This is one skill that doesnt come with the granny connotations and just think of all the B/B decoration items that could be unlocked through game play as you skill up. Just those 2 skills alone would be fantastic additions to the game in their own right. I'm having visions of having my own little artists commune, living off the grid, with an artist, a knitter and a potter, maybe even a wood carver or florist too, selling their wares to passing tourists.

7) There are lots of opportunities to tie this in with other future packs. If we do ever get our farming expansion pack it would be perfect. Sheer your sheep, spin your yarn, dye it (using harvestables like onions) and then either sell it as a commodity in it's own right (it could be sold at each stage in the process, but processing the wool fiber would add value, just like i dunno... butchering your meat would add value compared to selling a live animal!) But if you have the arts and crafts stuff pack you could then use the wool to knit your own items.

So can you see all the ways in which knitting, as a single game play item could effect your game play... depending on who you are and the way you want to take it. Yes you can have your granny in her rocking chair knitting a patchwork blanket, your pregnant mum-to-be-sim furiously producing as many baby hats and booties as she could, but you could also have your avante guard arty sim creating political knitting (google the pink ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ hats against trump!) and conceptual art pieces or your survivalist sim living in their eco hut off the grid making practical every day items to keep themselves clothed and to make some money.

This gives far far more scope than one career as a grim reaper would bring to your game. Yes it's fun and I WANT IT IN MY GAME TOO! But for me, if i can only have just the one game play element right now, i pick knitting because it has so much potential to develop my game. Happy haunts is too good to waste on a stuff pack, where 1 game play element is used and then the rest get put away and dont get used because "we already have loads of supernatural packs". Let happy haunts go for now, because you know it is destined for bigger things. There is no way the sims team havn't noticed how excited people are about the ideas that were being put forwards in that category. It would be stupid for them to ignore what is quite clearly a VERY popular concept for a game pack. At the very very least you know that the grim reaper career can and will become part of a free base game update if they decide for some silly reason not to develop it in to a game pack. And we will ALL have fun with that when it happens. So please dont be sour and salty about the fact that your personal favourite wasnt everyone else's first choice.

But, dont write knitting off because its not something you enjoy personally in your life. Give it a chance, be creative with your ideas and think outside the box. Its got tons of potential to add some really fun elements to the game... although i think we might have to have a rocking chair for our grannies for nostalgia if nothing else! Also, I think we also need to add a new death to the game- having personally impailed myself on a knitting needle and also scissors in my time, i think death by knitting needle needs to be a new thing!

Anyway, im away to start a knitting inspiration thread, for those of us who do knit to share with those of you who dont, just what the real world of knitting is about in 2019. I can promise you, its not just granny knitting or punk knitting - there is a whole world of knitting out there for all types of people, and some really awesome projects that will surprise you, as well as the cute baby things or the totaly whacky out there stuff.
  • annalephantannalephant Posts: 98 Member
    Thats my concern, its such an outdated stereotype that just the elderly knit because they have nothing better to do, and its all old fashioned and out of date and no one wants that, argh! Of course its good to have some else for elderly sims to do (not that they don't have the option to do literally every thing else in the game, ok exercise carefully but they still can!) and its fine if you want that for your sims, I'm just concerned that people see knitting and think old person and thats it, and its just not true, it can be trendy and cool and plenty of people in other age brackets enjoy it too.
    And because I know you are here, Ravellers sound off! :D

SOUND OFF!!!!!

I think it's high time we start a knitters gonna knit thread to show people what is actually popular right now in the world of knitting. what we we as knitters think should be including in this pack rather than what non-knitters assume should be in it!
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I'm excited for knitting myself. My mother taught me how and I'm far from elderhood. Some of my most cherished memories are of my mother in her 20s and thirties knitting amazing fashionable items for us.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Well, stereotypes don't pop out of nowhere, just like with fairy tales and myths, there's usually some truth in them, and the truth in my family is that my grandmothers used to knit, my mother not so much, me and my sister not at all - pretty much the opposite of what the OP experienced. It's like a hobby that faded away over the course of generations, and it was always a female-only thing to begin with, because I've never seen a knitting man in my entire life, old or young. That doesn't mean there aren't any, it's just what I have and haven't seen, and in a life simulation like The Sims, the first thing I tend to do is recreate the former.

There are nearly fifty households in my save, about a dozen of which I play regularly, so of course they're not all mirror images of my real family, or else the game would get boring fast. Depending on how knitting is implemented and what you can do with it, I may actually use it a lot for all kinds of sims, just like I have quite a few who play the violin even though I barely know any violinists in real life. But still, the first thing that came to my mind when I heard that knitting won was the image of one of my elders doing it, because that's what I know from real life, even though I know very well that my experience isn't the same as everyone else's.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    i shared this in the announcement thread but i will share it here too because you are feeling the same way as me:

First off, i cant help but thinking that a LOT of people misunderstood the voting in this round. So many of you are talking about Happy Haunts as a theme like you were going to get ALL of the game play suggestions if happy haunts had been chosen. YOU WERE NEVER GOING TO GET EVERYTHING. One thing. one new aspect of game play, per theme.

Now clearly, Happy haunts has REALLY caught people's imagination, and EA arnt stupid, they are going to have seen the opportunity here to develop it as a potential game pack, where all or almost all of the suggested game play features and some really cool CAS and B/B objects could be drawn together to comprise a really fleshed out pack that would be really fun for supernatural players.

But you have to understand that supernatural game play is not everyone's cup of tea. And i think that is why at the end of the day Arts & Crafts and Knitting won. If i am limited to just one new game play feature that is going to expand my game play as much as possible i would, and did choose knitting and this is for many many reasons.

1) im going to put my hands up now and admit, I AM A KNITTER!!! all of you who are moaning about it being boring and something only old people do are so very very wrong. Knitting is a great fun craft that can make really fun or stylish MODERN clothing and accessories. It is not something that only grannies and yummy mummies do, there are so many young people out there in this world, both women and men, who are knitting and are knitting from a young age too. I started knitting in my early 20's and yes some of my friends thought it was a bit weird back then but now im in my 30's all my friends are knitting too or at the very least wishing they could knit. I like knitting socks, thats just my thing, but there are so many things beyond sweaters, scarves, hats and mittens that you can knit. So please, put your assumptions to one side and approach this with an open mind. If you care to, take a trip to www.ravelry.com and see what projects people have made, what latest patterns are trending and you might just be a little bit shocked just what the knitting community is up to, compared to what you have pictured in your head.

2) If i am limited to just the one new aspect of game play, i think knitting has the best potential to bring benefit to the most areas of game play. we are short on hobbies for our sims, particularly things for elder sims to do. and in creating garments with our knitting we are able to hit areas of the game that are short on CAS- babies?!?! toddlers & kids and even perhaps some specific elder outfits. But i think its important to have new clothing options for teens, young adults and adults too because...

3) KNITTING IS A GREAT APOCOLYPSE SKILL. For anyone who loves playing off the grid, rags to riches, end of the world type scenarios, being able to create clothes for your family to wear, to have another item that can be sold on a stall or worked as a freelance job or stocked in a retail lot, is really useful game play. This is not at all about sitting watching your sim knit... ofcourse that is boring in the same way watching time pass by whilst your sim jumps in to a rabbit hole to go work as the girm reaper.... you need to think out of the box a little and see just how much extra game play can come from having a new skill that creates sellable items. Just take the moschino stuff pack as an example- people wrote it off at first because they assumed it was just a fashion stuff pack and actually, the CAS items were really quite limited! But thats because actually the photography skill and freelance career was the main focus of the pack and it came with so much scope in terms of game play elements, not only the new freelance career but also for adding to the game for your sims who wanted to do a bit of photography as a hobby on the side.

3) There are so many way's we could style this pack, but it really does give us an opportunity to flesh out CAS items for kids and elders. There have been some fantastic CAS items in recent packs for our young adults, teens and adults, really on trend and high qualify rendering etc. But the same cant be said for our kids and our elders. we have an opportunity here to flesh it out.

4) Build buy items.... again this could go one of several ways- are we thinking end of the world apocolypse theme, arty crafty bohemian look, aged hippies or granny chic? there are so many ways this theme could be developed and i honestly wouldnt mind any of them. I think going granny is maybe a bit obvious, but if that's what people want in their games then it is what they want! Are we going to get some build buy items that represent other crafts even if they dont work as functional items? (spinning wheels, knitting baskets etc)

6) Are we going to be limited to knitting alone or do we think we can lobby for the top 2 options and bring pottery in to this as well. Pottery, just like knitting is another fantastic end of the world skill that can be sold. This is one skill that doesnt come with the granny connotations and just think of all the B/B decoration items that could be unlocked through game play as you skill up. Just those 2 skills alone would be fantastic additions to the game in their own right. I'm having visions of having my own little artists commune, living off the grid, with an artist, a knitter and a potter, maybe even a wood carver or florist too, selling their wares to passing tourists.

7) There are lots of opportunities to tie this in with other future packs. If we do ever get our farming expansion pack it would be perfect. Sheer your sheep, spin your yarn, dye it (using harvestables like onions) and then either sell it as a commodity in it's own right (it could be sold at each stage in the process, but processing the wool fiber would add value, just like i dunno... butchering your meat would add value compared to selling a live animal!) But if you have the arts and crafts stuff pack you could then use the wool to knit your own items.

So can you see all the ways in which knitting, as a single game play item could effect your game play... depending on who you are and the way you want to take it. Yes you can have your granny in her rocking chair knitting a patchwork blanket, your pregnant mum-to-be-sim furiously producing as many baby hats and booties as she could, but you could also have your avante guard arty sim creating political knitting (google the pink ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ hats against trump!) and conceptual art pieces or your survivalist sim living in their eco hut off the grid making practical every day items to keep themselves clothed and to make some money.

This gives far far more scope than one career as a grim reaper would bring to your game. Yes it's fun and I WANT IT IN MY GAME TOO! But for me, if i can only have just the one game play element right now, i pick knitting because it has so much potential to develop my game. Happy haunts is too good to waste on a stuff pack, where 1 game play element is used and then the rest get put away and dont get used because "we already have loads of supernatural packs". Let happy haunts go for now, because you know it is destined for bigger things. There is no way the sims team havn't noticed how excited people are about the ideas that were being put forwards in that category. It would be stupid for them to ignore what is quite clearly a VERY popular concept for a game pack. At the very very least you know that the grim reaper career can and will become part of a free base game update if they decide for some silly reason not to develop it in to a game pack. And we will ALL have fun with that when it happens. So please dont be sour and salty about the fact that your personal favourite wasnt everyone else's first choice.

But, dont write knitting off because its not something you enjoy personally in your life. Give it a chance, be creative with your ideas and think outside the box. Its got tons of potential to add some really fun elements to the game... although i think we might have to have a rocking chair for our grannies for nostalgia if nothing else! Also, I think we also need to add a new death to the game- having personally impailed myself on a knitting needle and also scissors in my time, i think death by knitting needle needs to be a new thing!

Anyway, im away to start a knitting inspiration thread, for those of us who do knit to share with those of you who dont, just what the real world of knitting is about in 2019. I can promise you, its not just granny knitting or punk knitting - there is a whole world of knitting out there for all types of people, and some really awesome projects that will surprise you, as well as the cute baby things or the totaly whacky out there stuff.

Well said!! I'm off to look for your thread if you've started it. Even if people don't want knitting in the game there's no need to hate on a real life hobby people enjoy. It's not hurting anyone...as long as they don't get too close to my DPNs when I'm on a roll ๐Ÿ˜‚

I also look forward to adding it into my off the grid and rags to riches saves, especially in strangerville. It aligns with why I began knitting: as a hobby I enjoy but also as a way to learn a very real, beneficial skill that will benefit me when the power grid goes down or whatever post apocalyptic thing happens within my lifetime that I have to endure.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    edited December 2019
    My mother is 67 and enjoys knitting, she loves to knit christmas stuff for everyone.
    I actually drove by a house the other day that had a sign "Knitting Circle" and outside were 3 old ladies with a table selling their knitted goods, so it does happen.

I'm in my 30s and would love to learn to knit, I just don't have the patience, it looks time consuming lol.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I agree knitting is not just for elders or mums. My medieval YA male vampire dad is going to love it! :D I'm just disappointed we're not getting an Arts and Crafts gamepack. I was really hoping for embroidery too.
  • SuniroseSunirose Posts: 460 Member
    edited December 2019
    There are lots of young people who knit. My 19 year old niece knits better than her mother who has been knitting for decades. Personally, I'm glad the hobby pack won.
  • Emerald811Emerald811 Posts: 16 Member
    Yeah I'm REALLY not liking how in the comments of the poll related stuff have people that seem to be always saying "We need new stuff for elders" and whatnot similar to that.

These people really talk like knitting is gonna be something only elders can do? Not only that will make it extremely restricted for a stuff pack (Who plays elders anyways? Not me. When my sims age to that I worry about them dying soon when I play with aging on by rare chance), it's extremely stereotypical at that. It's like they don't remember elders can do everything YAs can do already, they just can't Woohoo/Try for Baby multiple times in a row because they'd die doing so.

People... PLEASE stop using the "We need more content for elders" excuse to vote, they use this when voting for Granny Chic as well, as if to add to that stereotype even more.

This is a KNITTING EP, EVERYONE can knit. It is NOT a Granny EP, it is NOT exclusive to elders nor has such an activity ever been old-people only like they seem to be wanting. No thanks. This is why I voted for DIY Delight and yet the only reason people seem to not like that is because they chose a pink BG for one of the concept examples' walls as if you won't be able to change that ingame. :///
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I hope the craftsman or Pinterest workshop style wins. I would also enjoy a bunch more modest yet attractive CAS items. Those both can apply to all kinds of Simmies. Oldsters are slaying in some ultra cute looks from Target and Talbots these days. My grandma was queen of Christmas in some silver slip-on shoes she picked up at J.Jill. Modest looks that arenโ€™t necessarily relegated to the apron and Wagon Train/Bonanza frocks some have suggested would be a great addition.

Personally, Iโ€™d like it to end up as things that can support the elder life stage but arenโ€™t too elder-exclusive. Meaning Iโ€™ve sat on enough plastic covered and doily-donned furniture irl. ๐Ÿ™ƒ
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited December 2019
    I don't care why people want it let them have a knitting grandma if they want a lot of old people do knitting
    it might be true that younger people knit as well but a bet they learned it from someone older
    I'm okay with you wanting some things for younger people but it feels like you're saying other people are wrong for wanting what they want

also I don't really like any of the things you showed in your pics a lot of people who knit knit things like winter hats
    and baby booties and sweaters and blankets I would be disappointed the things in your pic were what we got
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    reason I don't want diy delight is it doesn't look like it relates to knitting at all and we have most of the pictured furniture aside from the big table so what is the point?

granny at least has lots of crafty decor items and I am sure for doilies they could just add optional ones as decorative item to put on any table you like *wink wink*

as far as actual furniture goes though no interest as we have similars in c&d already

cozy craft I like furnitures most out of these and it has some decor but truly it needs that grandmas loving touch what comes to decors
    steers too industrial atm

+all of these need more knitty clothes we don't have yet like scarves, mittens, woolly socks etc sice atm it just seems like recolors of things we have + a granny outfit
    โญ๏ธ AHQ Champion ๐Ÿฆ‡ Vlad Advocate ๐Ÿ‰ Team Dragons
    ๐Ÿก Gallery ๐Ÿ“– Stories ๐ŸŒ World Project ๐Ÿฅ” MOD/CC Free